Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

99's gonna etch his complaint about the bad copper into his house, it'll stay standing for thousands of years and the ebay guy will be the next Ea Nasir

E: Ebay Nasir

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I love this thread

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I am sending the full force of my thoughts and prayers that you can get some of this electrical work signed off and do not have to redo it all....

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The nervous system of the house terminates into the brain in the loft (attic). The brain is inside the insulated envelope so I need to have all the different cat6 nerve endings come into that space whilst maintaining the airtight threshold. You can buy some push through gasket thingyies but I need like probably 60 plus penetrations which doesnt seem easy. So I'll make my own.

now start running all the nerd cable to the various locations. Actual network sockets in rooms, a bunch of sensor data collection places and also cameras and stuff with power over ethernet.
gently caress me.

Would it not have been possible here and much easier to just run the cables loose through a standard opening and then seal around the cable bundle with air stop/fire stop foam?

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m genuinely interested in what the electrician has to say as I was told very clearly that they don’t like signing off other people’s work, but that’s just hearsay so far.

I have done this on a small scale, and have mates who have done it on extensions, and i think we all just acted as per the electricians apprentice and did 1st fix and ran all the cables through as per his instructions. Then he came back and did second fix and signed it all off..

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 27, 2023

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Tomarse posted:

Would it not have been possible here and much easier to just run the cables loose through a standard opening and then seal around the cable bundle with air stop/fire stop foam?

Of course it would have.

That's not why we're here.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Muir posted:

Amazing.

lol that's exactly the quotes I was gonna pull :discourse:

:byoscience:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I forgot to include my new idea for tidying and separating cables in trunking to aid with cooling and meeting grouping requirements.

Need a squishy rubber divider you put in every metre or so but has to be removeable, as in not have wires passing through actual holes.

I couldnt find anything online so invented my own to 3d print in some squishy rubber and become a millionaire this time next year rodney.

The trunktopus:

and a more boring version

so imagine them extruded like a cm or so.

Although I think actually using them might be a ballache.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress the wiring, you should decorate your house with the Trunktopus.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Trunktopus logo on the front door.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Give it that cult meeting house aesthetic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What's that thing where people use high voltage rigs to do etching into wood?
Please don't do that

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I forgot to include my new idea for tidying and separating cables in trunking to aid with cooling and meeting grouping requirements.

Need a squishy rubber divider you put in every metre or so but has to be removeable, as in not have wires passing through actual holes.

I couldnt find anything online so invented my own to 3d print in some squishy rubber and become a millionaire this time next year rodney.

The trunktopus:

so imagine them extruded like a cm or so.

Although I think actually using them might be a ballache.

The latter design is similar to this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1320948

I've printed some of those out in ABS and used them up in some drop ceilings before to run 4-6 cables.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

What's that thing where people use high voltage rigs to do etching into wood?
Please don't do that

Fractal burning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_burning Both dangerous and kind of ugly.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The trunktopus:

I think you're trying to invent a cable comb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The trunktopus eats pieces of poo poo like the cable comb for breakfast.

OK so on the one hand your all saying I'm not going to become a millionaire with my brilliant new invention do not steal. On the other hand you're confirming that my wiring is normal enough that other people have invented things to suit it.

I can live with that

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Have you considered bundling the conductors together, maybe in some kind of sheath to keep them separated?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The trunktopus:

Iä! Iä! NJaN99 fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh N R'lyehaa NJaN99 wgah-nagl fhtagn—

""Hail! Hail! NJaN99 Downloads! In his house at R'lyeh, dead NJaN99 waits for bandwidth.""

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The trunktopus is beautiful and I bet you could sell it to other people who Ethernet their own homes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a whole subcategory for cable combs on the 3D printing websites

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Have you considered bundling the conductors together, maybe in some kind of sheath to keep them separated?

blasphemy

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Duck and Cover posted:

Fractal burning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_burning Both dangerous and kind of ugly.

Yeah a guy I used to work with was watching loads of youtube videos about that stuff and was well into it. He had a mate who worked somewhere they were getting rid of some kind of big commercial microwave oven so he nicked the transformer out of that - apparently that's the kind of thing a lot of people use.

He was gearing up to do it himself, until one day the new upload from the guy he was watching do it on YouTube was preceeded with "RIP [youtuber guy]" and it turned out he'd electrocuted (in the strict meaning of the word) himself. He wasn't so keen on it after that and gave up on the idea of ever doing it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're confirming that my wiring is normal enough that other people have invented things to suit it.

As someone else who is good at doing things and iterating on my successful innovations until they more or less work in a way that is definitely just as good as if I’d hired a pro or done it in the traditional manner rather than working from first principals (although perhaps more in the angle grinder/sawzall line than 3D printing fractal L shaped summoning grids), I’m glad you’ve taken the correct lesson from the feedback in here.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Tomarse posted:

I've seen less effort put in to successfully put cables through the wall of a pressure vessel.

Messadiah posted:

Of course it would have.

That's not why we're here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Could also grab an offcut of solid insulation and jab holes in it with a screwdriver.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

When we last saw the new soakaway it looked like this:

A big pool of murky water. So pumped this out with the old petrol pump from the foundation days and continued digging out the roughly 6m3 hole I would need, plus a half meter of soil on top.

This is the revised plan for all the soakaways, which are maybe I havent said solely for discharge of the water from the roof. They dont want you putting this in the sewer as it causes issues flooding sewage everywhere after heavy rainfall, which is sensible, and I certainly don't want to pay to pump it all the way uphill into the sewer.

You can see the previously installed 1m3 (its a bit more than that) soakaway at the bottom left, for which I bought plastic crates as it was a more congested area and wanted to minimise the size of the soakaway whilst still giving it half a chance to work.

The new soakaway will combine all the remaining gutter downpipes into one. This was originally going to be 2 smaller ones but I figured I've got spare pipe from having bought a whole pallet at the beginning which I was expecting to sell on, so just run them all to this larger one. I've still got the massive pile of rubble from the old stable slab/foundations so I'll use that instead of spending more on the expensive plastic boxes of air.

The rules say that a rubble soakaway has to be three times the calculated size of a crate based one so 6m3 should suffice. The idea is that any pile of half brickish sized rubble is actually 30% air allowing the water somewhere to occupy. I'm a bit dubious about that but those are the rules so OK.

I mean, the fact the pit filled up with water I think means the watertable at times of the year essentially makes this whole thing useless so... I'll connect it to the pond with an overflow line at the top of the soakaway. If things arent working down the line, then I'll possible excavate a ditch all the way down the property edge to connect to the culvert at the bottom .

The piperuns around the back of the house were put in ages ago round to the front downpipe drain thingy, so it's just a case of connecting in there and carrying onto the soakaway pit.

I use up the last of the membrane stuff I have so a bit of a delay as its all too expensive so I find a guy on ebay who has big 240m2 rolls of it for cheap. But he takes a week to ship it.

I'm having to overlap the rolls of membrane which is a bit awkward but its fine.

The fun bit is that the rubble is all in too big chunks really so it needs breaking up by hand with a sledgehammer. The life of a hard labour camp in north korea.

I unload the rubble by hand to begin with to avoid ripping/messing up the membrane

But if you only load the rubble in the middle of the bucket you can tip it in pretty tidily.

Its a big loving hole though.

I built little protective keeps around the pipe ends where they enter the soakaway to stop them getting squashed or anything when backfilled over with soil.

This is like 3 days of solid rock smashing. I took a video of myself doing it thinking I could use it to appear strong and manly in my grindr profile. But the reality is a wheezing old fat bloke ineffectually wafting his mallet at some rocks before stumbling off screen to collapse in a heap.

Then the digger stops working, its not getting enough fuel so keeps stalling out. In the end I have to remove the fuel tank again to clean out the filter filter at the bottom of it and that fixes it. Until next time.

But I stop to go inside and do an oddjob.

The back of the mario brick wall needs insulating between the warm, vaulted kitchen area and the cold utility loft.

I expertly and accurately measure the various members and stuff that need to be cut around to produce some lovely bespoke 100mm thick PIR insulation slabs that can be slid up into place from below between the nearest wooden truss and the brick wall.

Will it fit?

Of course it loving won't. But I hack away at it until it eventually is persuaded to go in.

The top bit was the hardest and it gets a bit easier.

The back of the brickwork hasn't been finished very nicely with fat sloppy mortar joints hanging out, some of which needs chipping off to get the insulation to slide in. What kind of brickie did this shoddy job?

But its finished, bit of tape and spray foam a few edge bits and thats not bad.

Back outside, and need to dig the other pipe run from the final downpipe location to the soakaway

I've used a T - piece at the head of this run with a stopper in the unused end. If I ever want to connect in the garage drain and other roof downpipe from the smaller soakaway to all run to this system and ultimately the pond then I'll have that option.

All these pipes are push fit with rubber seals that you need to lube up. Somehow I've got through almost all the lube

I was going to wrap the whole pipe run all the way round in membrane but its such a ballache I can't be bothered. I'll just lie a run along on top to prevent ingress of soil being dragged down into the gravel french drain surrounding the pipe.

like so

Then I can cover back over that run and smooth off a little. This area will ultimately need to come up a bunch so its not so important right now, just best to leave it not a huge mess so i roll an ankle or something on it

Then dig the final overflow run to the pond

I did consider using perforated pipe here but i have what i have and can't be arsed, the shingle I've found to be a really good french drain anyway so it'll be fine.

bit of a kink on it but it doesnt matter here

Pond is really low right now as its been a bit warm recently. I guess thats probably the waterlevel in the soil? Anyway I get a very slight fall on the overflow pipe so its going in the right direction, but high enough that theres still plenty of volume in the pond before it starts trying to backup into the soakaway

gravel it all up, then I'll stick another run of membrane along on top.

lol I've noticed something weird about the membrane.

So most of it is white like normal but then suddenly its black and got weird patterns on it?

Hmmm... whats that

British Peppered Ham. Hmmm all of my soakaway system seems to be wrapped in ham packaging.

Its unorthodox, but I've checking building regs and can't find anything to suggest that a ham flavoured soakaway system contravenes any rules so I guess I'm all good.

Get that all ham wrapped

and smash some soil back over it all so no one will ever know what I've done.

no one will ever know

except the grub hunting birds, they know

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 3, 2023

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Everything is ham on the inside. So I guess the guy is selling his setup or changeover rolls on ebay?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Didn't realize how much work went into drainage on modern houses, assumed it all went into the sewers.

Presumably you're allowed to drain to a pond like that? Is it entirely on your property?

e: I suppose the water is going there eventually anyway

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's Aldi ownbrand.

Maybe half the roll wasn't meant to be white. Definitely looks like factory seconds.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:thunk:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

looks like you're right

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-ashfields-british-peppered-ham-120g/4088600494685

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

put some kind of grille or screen on the end of the pipe that goes to the pond, unless you're excited about the idea of all manner of wildlife colonizing your drainpipe during the summer and then perhaps dying in it and clogging it with their corpses and detritus in the winter

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

good idea. I'll wrap it in ham.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They already pump it with as much water as it will hold.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

Didn't realize how much work went into drainage on modern houses, assumed it all went into the sewers.

Presumably you're allowed to drain to a pond like that? Is it entirely on your property?

e: I suppose the water is going there eventually anyway

Most places it used to, and many still overflow into sewage during the worst storms. However it tends to cause backups and other sewage issues. It's one reason they have moved away from it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Most places it used to, and many still overflow into sewage during the worst storms. However it tends to cause backups and other sewage issues. It's one reason they have moved away from it.

I have a similar system to 99s layout but no gravel soakaway, it just leads it out to a municipal ditch where it runs downstream into the woods.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yep, they've got similar issues happening around here. Homes in areas where the storm drains are getting the most overloaded are getting incentives from the city for things like rain gardens or otherwise redirecting drainage onto permeable ground. Not sure if they're funding dry wells or anything.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
I'm just about to start extending my shed/workshop with dubious planning/knowledge.

This thread has really made me feel better about my prospects, because instead of a series of cars that don't work I just have one car that does, and I won't buy anything off of eBay.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

stoopiduk posted:

I'm just about to start extending my shed/workshop with dubious planning/knowledge.

This thread has really made me feel better about my prospects, because instead of a series of cars that don't work I just have one car that does, and I won't buy anything off of eBay.

But how many piles driven into the upper mantle will your shed require?

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Arrath posted:

But how many piles driven into the upper mantle will your shed require?

Before reading this thread I thought it wouldn't need any, but now I'm wondering if I should construct the walls entirely of piles and then have the roof made of piles at 45 degrees, then shoot horizontal piles into my house instead of using roof tiles. Maybe shiny tape it all together. There's a hundred-year old beech tree behind the shed which I might stake with a nice pile just in case the wind picks up.

(Aside from wondering why 99 doesn't just buy a good vehicle and not gently caress it, I am impressed by his efforts)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He has a tesla, pretty sure he fucks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I utterly lost it in the office on Friday, reading about the ham soakaway

Never stop cheaping out on stuff, please :)