Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
^ How many plants are you doing per pot. I can see 2 maybe 3? The 1st picture looks like a lot of plants. How big are the pots? Are you regularly fertilizing?

Content for the new page. Found this guy hanging out on my roselle. Here is the plants at 1.5 months. These things have taken off putting a ton of foliage since they made it in the ground. Really loving the heat too.

Additional question. Anyone with Oya usage? I've got 3 plants all started at the same time. But the outflow of water via the oyas is really inconsistent among the 3 oya, like whole half gallons or more per day difference. I've chalked it up to more or less garden soil in each hole. Or one side is closer to clay etc. Anyone want to confirm my thought process?

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

sterster posted:

^ How many plants are you doing per pot. I can see 2 maybe 3? The 1st picture looks like a lot of plants. How big are the pots? Are you regularly fertilizing?

Generally it's just one, that one container ended up more somehow, and yea that's probably bad. It's about 10 plants, in 10 gallon bags. Once a week, started with miracle grow general fertilizer then switched to JR Peter's 12/15/30 once they started flowering.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Is there a way to tell if my tomatoes are wilting from lack of water, fungal infection or something else?

All of my Brandywine's seem to have started wilting very quickly, it was a few lower branches at first but seems to be speeding up. After a few days the leaves on the affected branches look completely desiccated.
Each plant is in a 10g grow bag getting 3 minutes twice a day of water from individual sprayer heads. It was once a day, went to twice a day and the wilting has only gotten worse. Feels like it has to be something other than a lack of water.

Honestly feels like I need to ditch these heritage cultivars and use modern science plants. I've got a couple modern determinate species and they're doing fine.
Sounds like bacterial wilt or fusarium/verticillium which are both pretty much :rip:. Weird it would happen in grow bags as they are all largely soil-borne diseases . Did you use dirt from the ground or a potting mix of some sort? You can check for bacterial wilt by cutting a plant near the ground and sticking the stem in water-if milky white stuff comes out it's bacterial wilt and :rip: don't use those bags or soil for tomatoes or other nightshades again (tho eggplant seem fairly resistant).

E: just saw your pictures. Looks like maybe spider mites to me. Spray the heck out of them with appropriate insecticide, especially the underside of the leaves-I can't remember offhand what that might be. A little more space between plants would be good too. Keep watering, drip irrigation is better than spray nozzles if possible.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 3, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Of course, thank you!

There are a lot of tiny dots on the underside of those leaves. Is that just camera artifact, or are those bugs?

For the rest, this is my opinion, as an amateur and not a trained botanist.

So, good news first. That's unlikely to be fusarium wilt, because the veins of the leaf would yellow before the rest of the leaf, and you've got the reverse. It's not early blight, because early blight starts in circular spots that spread outward. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/early-blight-of-tomato It doesn't look like late blight to me, because the splotches aren't right. Late blight also tends to start at the top. It's not septoria leaf spot, because the leaves .... wait for it ... spot.

If it's unlikely to be fungal diseases, the two things I'd check first are fertilization -- did you fertilize these, or did you rely on the potting soil? -- and the watering. The fun thing is that dying leaves at the bottom can be caused by overwatering or underwatering.

To figure out what you might have, go out and stick your finger in the soil, up to a knuckle or two. Does it feel like a wrung-out sponge? That's just right. If it's bone-dry between waterings, you should probably be watering more often; in the right climate, tomatoes can need watering twice a day. If it feels like a soaked sponge, or, worse, if you feel actually wet rather than moist, then you're watering too much. In general, you are better off with few deep waterings than with lots of shallow waterings. A deep watering helps develop strong roots, and the plant can better survive occasional droughts. Shallow waterings only reach the surface, and so the plant wilts quickly if you skip a watering. A plant in a pot dries out a lot quicker than a plant in the ground.

Anybody else want to weigh in?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the post above they mentioned fertilizing weekly which in pots may be needed so I'm going to guess water too. Especially if there has been recent changes in weather patters. Maybe you were getting by because it was raining. Maybe it's more windy this time of month/year or your humidity plummeted. Maybe you cut your grass around the pots which was acting like an insulator. Idk but pots can be finicky with water for all those reasons.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are a lot of tiny dots on the underside of those leaves. Is that just camera artifact, or are those bugs?

For the rest, this is my opinion, as an amateur and not a trained botanist.

So, good news first. That's unlikely to be fusarium wilt, because the veins of the leaf would yellow before the rest of the leaf, and you've got the reverse. It's not early blight, because early blight starts in circular spots that spread outward. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/early-blight-of-tomato It doesn't look like late blight to me, because the splotches aren't right. Late blight also tends to start at the top. It's not septoria leaf spot, because the leaves .... wait for it ... spot.

If it's unlikely to be fungal diseases, the two things I'd check first are fertilization -- did you fertilize these, or did you rely on the potting soil? -- and the watering. The fun thing is that dying leaves at the bottom can be caused by overwatering or underwatering.

To figure out what you might have, go out and stick your finger in the soil, up to a knuckle or two. Does it feel like a wrung-out sponge? That's just right. If it's bone-dry between waterings, you should probably be watering more often; in the right climate, tomatoes can need watering twice a day. If it feels like a soaked sponge, or, worse, if you feel actually wet rather than moist, then you're watering too much. In general, you are better off with few deep waterings than with lots of shallow waterings. A deep watering helps develop strong roots, and the plant can better survive occasional droughts. Shallow waterings only reach the surface, and so the plant wilts quickly if you skip a watering. A plant in a pot dries out a lot quicker than a plant in the ground.

There are indeed very tiny white dots under some of the leaves that are starting to die. They aren't bugs, possibly dust or dirt stuck to the sticky hairs on the plant, maybe small spots of fungus? None of the leaves that are totally gone have masses of fungus or anything obvious like a big fungal or spider mite infection. That said, spider mites seem entirely possible. I can't see any bugs, but there are some small amounts of webs in the plants. It can't hurt to to do some rosemary or neem spraying so I'll give that a try.

They're planted in potting soil and cow compost with cedar mulch on top.

Water wise, wrung out sponge is how it feels right now.

Thanks everyone!

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 3, 2023

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Of course, thank you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sure, I'll argue for the possibility of a nutrient problem because the only thing I know about tomato diseases is "if everything turns black, falls over and starts rotting within three days it's late blight".

Motile nutrient because the old leaves are affected but not the new ones so maybe potassium, given the yellowing turning to brown progressing from the tips? Uneven watering can cause nutrient deficiencies, also cold soil temperatures which would be more likely in grow bags. Of course, if the op is in Arizona they can probably ignore that last part. If not, soil temperatures will correct themselves (eventually).

So, that brings us back to keeping the soil evenly moist which can be tricky with growbags. Might help too to switch to a balanced fertilizer with micronutrients or some kelp extract along with regular fertilizers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

after some failures in the past, got some nasturtiums growing this year and the first flower came out very pretty

Eat it. Right now. To the face.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Schmeichy posted:

Containers mean your plants are getting colder/hotter than if they were in the soil. If the pots weren't protected in 5a, they could definitely die from cold
When you say protected, do you mean having some sort of cover over them? I mulched them thinking it was supposed to help.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That Old Ganon posted:

When you say protected, do you mean having some sort of cover over them? I mulched them thinking it was supposed to help.

You need to insulate the sides, too. The big issue is that normally in winter a plant's roots are surrounded by dirt for feet in every direction, which keeps temperature a lot more stable. I tend to just wrap old towels or blankets around them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nasty...nurnums

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Annath posted:

Help!

There's a piece of poo poo squirrel coming onto my apartment balcony and digging up my peppers!

I have no idea what to do :(

Annath get your gun.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

If any start going after the Bramley's Seedling or Gravenstein though I'm going to go all YouTube on their arses.

You're going to...remove dislikes?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Worse - demonetize them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cherry tomatos have over topped their 5' poles. Do i let them just go crazy and flop over prune them back?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gently caress flea beetles

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Crossposting

Turned this home grown golden boys. Into a grilled chicken and beets, mixed green salad with some orange supremes, candied pecans, goat cheese, drizzle of honey, and topped with some micro greens, dressing is balsamic and olive oil.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

sterster posted:

Crossposting

Turned this home grown golden boys. Into a grilled chicken and beets, mixed green salad with some orange supremes, candied pecans, goat cheese, drizzle of honey, and topped with some micro greens, dressing is balsamic and olive oil.

Looks tasty. I think I want to plant beets this fall in my buckets-- maybe even two kinds, one for the greens and ones for the actual beets. I love beet greens roasted or done up like kale chips.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Got my hands on some BT. Store only had captain jacks, so I asked the difference and the helpful gardener person essentially said, “Jacks claims they’re more woo woo.” Which I appreciated. Rain all night, so I’m applying tomorrow am. Or perhaps tomorrow evening for to avoid the sun.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

gently caress flea beetles

This year I had some mustard greens that I was letting go to seed and it turns out they are a fantastic trap crop for flea beetles. Almost no damage on anything else and the mustard leaves were eaten to tatters but the plants kept on truckin’. And they produced a ton of seeds. I had a couple volunteer mustard pop up this spring so I left them in.

Amaranth is also a good flea beetle trap crop. I tried to grow it last year and it really struggled because of the flea beetles until I started spraying spinosad. This year I didn’t even bother planting any. All the volunteers have been decimated.

I’m trying to save the spinosad for the fire ants now. I don’t want to overuse it and have them become resistant to it. Fire ants are the worst.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Joburg posted:

This year I had some mustard greens that I was letting go to seed and it turns out they are a fantastic trap crop for flea beetles. Almost no damage on anything else and the mustard leaves were eaten to tatters but the plants kept on truckin’. And they produced a ton of seeds. I had a couple volunteer mustard pop up this spring so I left them in.

Amaranth is also a good flea beetle trap crop. I tried to grow it last year and it really struggled because of the flea beetles until I started spraying spinosad. This year I didn’t even bother planting any. All the volunteers have been decimated.

I’m trying to save the spinosad for the fire ants now. I don’t want to overuse it and have them become resistant to it. Fire ants are the worst.

In my case they got inside my bug netting and have killed more than half of my kale already :(

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Went to check my aronias which had been getting hit with deer browse to see that they are now getting hit by aphids. There were little ants tending to them too, a whole fuckin economy happening in my fruit trees. God drat, chokeberries are supposed to be weeds but they're just getting hit from all sides.

Imma try neem oil first and see how annoying that is, then step up my insecticide game if that doesn't work well. Thankfully the aronias are planted in bramble alley with the raspberries and wineberries, and not in Tiny Orchard on the other side of the house, so at least the aphids won't get to the other fruit trees without significant effort. Fuckin bugs, man.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The problem with gardening is that you so often do it outdoors, where the bugs are.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I live by the rule that aphids are only a problem if the host plant is too weak to handle them. Spray the leaves with some compost tea, make sure they're watered fully, pray the ladybugs and predators figure out soon that there's a buffet available, and then you get to enjoy the predatory bugs which are much cuter.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
They can get out of control fast, especially where plants are dense.

I don't leave it to chance. Aphid murder is the way.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
A family of chipmunks made one of my flower beds their home. They are too cute to kill, but they suuuuuck. They’ve eaten almost all of my tulip bulbs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

They can get out of control fast, especially where plants are dense.

I don't leave it to chance. Aphid murder is the way.

Aphid murder is the only way. I walked past some shrubs that were absolutely covered with the things today and they weren't there last week. They're going to eat the whole shrub before it has a chance.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fed my tomatoes and peppers today. It is stupid that every fertilizer in a big box store doesn’t display actual quantities. I just grabbed some with more P and K than N and followed directions. But even if I test my soil I can’t meaningfully apply this stuff. I need to stop going to big box stores.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Fed my tomatoes and peppers today. It is stupid that every fertilizer in a big box store doesn’t display actual quantities. I just grabbed some with more P and K than N and followed directions. But even if I test my soil I can’t meaningfully apply this stuff. I need to stop going to big box stores.

100/<one of the NPK numbers> tells you exactly how many pounds of that fertilizer you need to put down to add one pound of N, P or K to the soil.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Motronic posted:

100/<one of the NPK numbers> tells you exactly how many pounds of that fertilizer you need to put down to add one pound of N, P or K to the soil.

That’s handy. Going to write an angry letter about putting it on the box.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I walk outside and start shouting "they were PERCENTAGES all along!!!!!" at the clouds.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

% per lb

8 characters, Schultz!!! That’s all I need!!!!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

A family of chipmunks made one of my flower beds their home. They are too cute to kill, but they suuuuuck. They’ve eaten almost all of my tulip bulbs.

You'll stop finding them cute when they start sinking any cement pads you may have.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A robin flew into me while I was tying up one of my tomatoes this morning. It was chasing another robin. Too horny to see, I guess.

I’ve been hot composting following [url= https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/?amp=1]the Berkeley method[/url]. I’m a little surprised it’s working as well as it is. My gardening peers all had the impression it was too fussy, involving thermometers and various readings. I didn’t measure anything but the rough 2 carbon : 1 nitrogen, measured in 5 gallon buckets. I’ve successfully broken down 20 gallons of kitchen scraps, peels and paper waste, plus more yard waste. It isn’t working as well on whole waxy leaves like oak, but my pile is not near as large as prescribed. I could mow them prior to the pile, but there’s so many and my mower is so small. I’m very happy with the results nonetheless.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Look at all the sunflower for you to climb, peas, why aren't you climbing!? One vine I tied to the sunflower, it bends in half above it, and then started growing up again from where it's hanging, just not grabbing the sunflowers.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The allelopaths in sunflowers make them too much of a pain to use for trellising in my experience.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Would anyone be able to recommend a decent, inexpensive pressurized sprayer/atomizer? I'm looking around quart sized, I already have a larger 2 gallon one. Been looking on Amazon and they have so many priced from $10 up to like $50. I don't mind paying more if it's better quality. Using a hand pump sprayer for BT, Spinosad, etc on the garden is getting tiresome. Thanks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I can assure you they are not too cute to kill.

It might help to think of it less as protecting your flowers and more as stepping up to handle the important biological role that we left vacant by systematically driving away the predators that would otherwise be keeping the rodent population in check.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

The allelopaths in sunflowers make them too much of a pain to use for trellising in my experience.

like me, my pole beans last year also didn't know what allelopaths were and went loving nuts

guess peas are more sensitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

I can assure you they are not too cute to kill.

Sums up most advice itt