Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Y'all wanna fight with AI mods?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I can’t stress enough how useful project farm’s video is on this topic. There are definite differences between products and, at least for the poo poo I’ve been jump starting, it is the difference between working and not working.

Safety Dance posted:

I can't stress enough how little I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream about lithium battery packs for 15 minutes.

I've never watched a project farm video. If I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream I'll look in the mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't think he's meth'd up ..... he's more of a high energy nerd redneck. His methodologies are sometimes suspect, but he does a reasonable job for someone without a lab and 5 figures of specialized equipment for each type of thing he's testing. Bottom line, the videos are too long, just skip to the end where he posts results.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

H110Hawk posted:

Y'all wanna fight with AI mods?

I've never watched a project farm video. If I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream I'll look in the mirror.

Oh that's what we're gonna do today, we're gonna fight huh?

His videos are fine, but seeing the hands on difference between a lot of the tools is great. The tests can be kinda pointless, but they really do show the outliers.

He's an eccentric dork and it's great to have a spot to see what tools to outright avoid, and which ones are fine.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

I don't think he's meth'd up ..... he's more of a high energy nerd redneck. His methodologies are sometimes suspect, but he does a reasonable job for someone without a lab and 5 figures of specialized equipment for each type of thing he's testing. Bottom line, the videos are too long, just skip to the end where he posts results.

From my perspective, the biggest problem with his videos are that he doesn't usually do enough test runs. There's not really any way to understand the variability in his tests, so no way to understand if the observed differences are really differences or just noise, especially in tests where there's a lot of apparent clustering.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, for me anyway, that it's so hard to find useful comparison reviews at all that I'm really glad he's doing it even if there are weaknesses and the videos are excessively long. I wish he had someone condensing the video content into short text articles or something though. It'd be way nicer to consume as a series of pictures and graphs with some light descriptive text.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah sure some of his tests are flawed and sometimes he doesn't test aspects I think he should, but he's performing the tests fairly equally across brands and that's good data that you can then decide how valuable it is to you or not. It sure beats the pants off the billion other YouTubers who buy a single tool, sloppily use it for 5 minutes on camera and then tell you how great it is.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

swinging in from the lurk to say: I will not stand for slander of my perfect pseudoscreaming tool boy

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah sure some of his tests are flawed and sometimes he doesn't test aspects I think he should, but he's performing the tests fairly equally across brands and that's good data that you can then decide how valuable it is to you or not. It sure beats the pants off the billion other YouTubers who buy a single tool, sloppily use it for 5 minutes on camera and then tell you how great it is.

I absolutely agree, but it's also not unusual for a bunch of tools with highly variable prices to score somewhat similarly in a way that's sometimes difficult to tell if the variability is meaningful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

I absolutely agree, but it's also not unusual for a bunch of tools with highly variable prices to score somewhat similarly in a way that's sometimes difficult to tell if the variability is meaningful.

Yeah, that's another issue: sample size. On the lower end sample to sample quality is HUGELY variable. Anyone who's shopped harbor freight knows this.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the issue in principle but I'm curious: who does do good testing on consumer products? Does anyone test like... anything... with a larger sample sizes and well designed tests?

I suppose Consumer Reports makes a good run at it with testing of individual things for the hands on part + surveys to get the bigger picture. And then there are some specific areas that have what feels like pretty good info. eg Backblaze's regular posts on hard drive reliability in their data centers. Lensrentals had some interesting blog posts on their most repaired lenses, sample variability by mfg/model, warranty repair time, etc. one point, but haven't been posting them in a while as I think they got some pushback from MFGs who they rely on for their business. Seems like there's decent test design in a lot of computer/computer part performance testing if you look in the right places. Usually they don't have a sample size of one and only retest if something looks weird, but it seems like the small sample size is less of an issue there.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying I don't think people shouldn't talk about the issues with that channel's testing, more just, lamenting what's available and curious what else is out there

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 3, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

I agree with the issue in principle but I'm curious: who does do good testing on consumer products? Does anyone test like... anything... with a larger sample sizes and well designed tests?

Perhaps the right question is "does the results of testing consumer products that are of widely variable sample to sample quality mean anything at all past informing the reader that the sample to sample quality is in fact that variable?"

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Motronic posted:

Perhaps the right question is "does the results of testing consumer products that are of widely variable sample to sample quality mean anything at all past informing the reader that the sample to sample quality is in fact that variable?"

But this is the core of statistics and sample sizes. Are you arguing that the variability of product quality in tools makes it so that there are no accurate statistics to be gained from product tests?

One person testing one sample of each product is clearly statistically irrelevant, especially with the way they are conducting their tests, and the test conditions that are not reported. But surely there must be some value in testing at all, and given that it seems no one else is publishing side by side test results, for free at least, then it is plausible that there is at least a small amount of value that is being provided. It is, at least, one more data point. Granted, it should be taken for what it is worth, but so should every other singular data point.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imasalmon posted:

But this is the core of statistics and sample sizes. Are you arguing that the variability of product quality in tools makes it so that there are no accurate statistics to be gained from product tests?

I'm saying that there are some tools, typically of low quality, that have become known to vary wildly from sample to sample. If you accept that premise then it means test validity on single samples of tools is highly suspect in and of itself until it's been established if the individual sample being tested can be reasonably considered to be representative.

I'd say with many harbor freight/princess tire tools that answer is often "no" and with Snap On or Starrett it's often "yes".

I typed that all out and said "hmmm, that sounds like a torque wrench review. I bet he's done that." and yep, he has. With Harbor Freight and similar at the low and and Snap on and Wera at the high end.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/S6bUlwtYwGY?feature=share

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

powderific posted:

I suppose Consumer Reports makes a good run at it with testing of individual things for the hands on part + surveys to get the bigger picture. And then there are some specific areas that have what feels like pretty good info. eg Backblaze's regular posts on hard drive reliability in their data centers. Lensrentals had some interesting blog posts on their most repaired lenses, sample variability by mfg/model, warranty repair time, etc. one point, but haven't been posting them in a while as I think they got some pushback from MFGs who they rely on for their business. Seems like there's decent test design in a lot of computer/computer part performance testing if you look in the right places. Usually they don't have a sample size of one and only retest if something looks weird, but it seems like the small sample size is less of an issue there.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying I don't think people shouldn't talk about the issues with that channel's testing, more just, lamenting what's available and curious what else is out there

Fine Woodworking does decent head to head testing for woodworking stuff on occasion, but again it's more about features and performance than durability or longevity because that's harder to test. I would imagine Fine Homebuilding, which is from the same publisher, does more on basic DIY power tools. That being said, I am sure they get advertising dollars from everyone whose stuff they review and they aren't usually super critical of stuff so you have to do a bit of reading between the lines. They usually praise the good but don't really criticize the bad.

I do wish someone would do Cook's Illustrated kind of reviews for power tools. They always seem pretty rigorous and will say if something is gimmicky garbage. I haven't ever been disappointed by one of their recommendations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I NEED THIS

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I need this and I have no palm trees. That is absolutely metal landscaping.

On a different topic -- a quick meatpimp tool review --

Makita XGT Commercial Mower -- sold at HO with two 4.0ah batteries and rated for 3/5 of an acre on a charge. My lot is .29 acres, house has a 2500sqft footprint, driveway is another 600sqft removed, lots of ladscaping beds, so reality is well less than 1/3 of an acre. In Ohio, in Spring, when the grass grows quickly.

Now Makita bills this as a "gas replacement" unit. Bullshit. I never got more than 2/3 of my lawn mowed off a single charge. When I started keeping track, I got 8 minutes of use before the first battery started flashing and 24 minutes before it was fully dead. This was cutting grass that had been cut 5 days earlier.

The mower itself may be okay with proper battery capacity, but going to 8ah batteries adds $300 to the price and brings it close to $1000. Not worth it.

Ego LM2142SP -- I purchased the Makita because I had used an Ego for the past 4 years. Never had any major problems with it, but the batteries were starting to get weird and I sold that mower, thinking that in the past 4 years, the major manufacturers have gotten into the mower space and I thought that anything would be comparable to the 4 year old Ego. Obviously, I was wrong (see Makita above).

I was going to try the Ryobi AWD whatever thing, but after the Makita burn, I didn't want to have any more failures, I just wanted to be able to mow my yard.

So, I found the LM2142SP at Crazy Jeff's Warehouse fo $624 and it showed up absolutely brand new, never registered, never out of box. Thanks, crazy Jeff. And thanks, Ego. With a 7.5ah battery in my old mower, I would get 80-120% of the yard mowed, depending on thickness and wetness of grass, etc. That seemed reasonable.

The new one showed up looking almost identical to the old one, except the new one can have two batteries on board at once. It shipped with two 5.0ah batteries. I don't know what loving magic voodoo they've done over the past 4 years, but I am getting two FULL mows off of one charge of the two batteries. I honestly don't understand it, my last mow was THICK grass and it still shows 60% charge. But that was 2 weeks ago and it'll never rain here again, so I may not need it anymore.

Absolutely recommend Ego.

I wanted a spare Ego battery, just in case, so I just bought a 4.0ah battery that came with a charger and a 16" chainsaw. I firgured that chainsaw would show up as little more than a gimmick, but I was surprised to see it arrive yesterday as a really well laid out tool. I haven't tried it yet, but I continue to be impressed with Ego.

I need to start a thread about my ~650sqft deck build, but I bumped into one of my favorite tools this week -- a Paslode framing nailer, the kind with the gas cartridges. They're temperamental, but man, I love this thing. So much power, it makes everything else I have feel like a toy.

Other new tools to review are a Bosch reciprocating saw and Bosch SDS+ hammer drill. Nothing in-depth so far, but we are living in a good age of affordable, and capable, battery powered tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Makita XGT Commercial Mower

lol, all you have to see is that word applied to that mower and you know the marketing people were allowed to say anyfuckingthing that came into their head about that one. Not surprised nothing lived up to a single promise made.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

'

Motronic posted:

lol, all you have to see is that word applied to that mower and you know the marketing people were allowed to say anyfuckingthing that came into their head about that one. Not surprised nothing lived up to a single promise made.

I've followed up with corporate and have been asking their "Product Manager – Outdoor Power Equipment" what is "commercial" about that product.

I didn't even mention charge time, it comes with one charger, and it takes an hour to charge each battery. So if you have 24 minutes of runtime, it'll be 2 hours to do it again.

We all know the answer to "what is commercial about that product" is -- nothing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm looking for a recommendation for a finish to use on a workbench/outfeed table made with a maple strip benchtop. Find a matte finish oil base floor finish? I'm looking for something I can wipe oil/grease off and still slick enough for plywood slide across coming off the tablesaw.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a finish to use on a workbench/outfeed table made with a maple strip benchtop. Find a matte finish oil base floor finish? I'm looking for something I can wipe oil/grease off and still slick enough for plywood slide across coming off the tablesaw.

I would do a shellac with a top coat of Johnson's Paste Wax, except Johnson's Paste Wax is no longer available. I don't know the replacement, but a general waxed shellac will work well for an outfeed table.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

meatpimp posted:

Makita XGT Commercial Mower

Well see here commercial means "only works on tv, in the commercials". Common mistake.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Y'all mfs say "rye-obee" or "ree-obee"?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Rye o'bee

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

wesleywillis posted:

Y'all mfs say "rye-obee" or "ree-obee"?
the latter.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Speaking of Rye O'bee's fine tools, my lovely gas Cub Cadet string trimmer died and my brother called me an idiot for looking at a Stihl gas replacement.

Picked up the brushless 40v Ryobi yesterday and confirmed he is correct. At least as much power as my gas one with zero bullshit. One battery trimmed my front yard and edged the walk and driveway since I was making sure the edger attachment would work.

I may be converted to electric small motor tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of Rye O'bee's fine tools, my lovely gas Cub Cadet string trimmer died and my brother called me an idiot for looking at a Stihl gas replacement.

Picked up the brushless 40v Ryobi yesterday and confirmed he is correct. At least as much power as my gas one with zero bullshit. One battery trimmed my front yard and edged the walk and driveway since I was making sure the edger attachment would work.

I may be converted to electric small motor tools.

There is no way in hell I'd buy another gas trimmer unless I was doing 10 hours a day of commercial work.

Unfortunately my 20 year old Echo is basically unkillable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

There is no way in hell I'd buy another gas trimmer unless I was doing 10 hours a day of commercial work.

Unfortunately my 20 year old Echo is basically unkillable.

I went to fire up our ancient Toro and the primer bulb cracked off in my hand. Not sure it's worth replacing, but I'm not into any of the higher voltage battery systems. Is the Makita 18v strimmer any good?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I went to fire up our ancient Toro and the primer bulb cracked off in my hand. Not sure it's worth replacing, but I'm not into any of the higher voltage battery systems. Is the Makita 18v strimmer any good?

I mean, if I wanted to call my trimmer dead I could just pretend a primer bulb isn't under $2 and takes 30 seconds to change.....it's something that needs doing every few years.

Seems wasteful/not environmentally positive to trash a whole thing over that or even what are now $20 carburetors. Like lots worse than burning the 1/4 gallon or less of fuel a year it uses for taking care of just my yard.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Same thing with the "Contractor Grade-" prefix to everything that has an extra 30% markup

Contractor Grade garbage bags
Contractor Grade extension cord
Contractor Grade nails

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

I mean, if I wanted to call my trimmer dead I could just pretend a primer bulb isn't under $2 and takes 30 seconds to change.....it's something that needs doing every few years.

Seems wasteful/not environmentally positive to trash a whole thing over that or even what are now $20 carburetors. Like lots worse than burning the 1/4 gallon or less of fuel a year it uses for taking care of just my yard.

Fair enough. Are the primers pretty universal? This one mounts to the carb under a 4 screw metal plate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Fair enough. Are the primers pretty universal? This one mounts to the carb under a 4 screw metal plate.

There are a few different sizes. Here's the variety pack: https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-Crafstman-Weedeater-530071835-791-683974/dp/B078Z7JTGQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=primer+bulb&sr=8-4

They are their own gasket so it's literally just that piece. Take it off, take it to your closest mower shop. They will have what you need.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm weird... I like gas engines... I have a Stihl FS106 and it's from the early 90s or even late 80s. Japanese made 27cc engine. I run it on E85 nowadays and it runs so nice and cool, it's superb. I just love having OLD tools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last weekend I finished my pressure washer rebuild too, got the final part made to convert from 1/2" BSP to M22x1.5 (kränzle fittings) for my new lance and washed my car. So drat powerful... Reminds me of my dads 3-phase Kärcher from the early 90s that still works today. That thing made a groove in the wood paneling of the shed once.

Still could use new valves but that type of valve no longer exist so I would have to make some type of adapter.

Oh and I got way too short a hose.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

meatpimp posted:

'

I've followed up with corporate and have been asking their "Product Manager – Outdoor Power Equipment" what is "commercial" about that product.

I didn't even mention charge time, it comes with one charger, and it takes an hour to charge each battery. So if you have 24 minutes of runtime, it'll be 2 hours to do it again.

We all know the answer to "what is commercial about that product" is -- nothing.

TBF that’s prolly not his fault at that point, that blood’s on Marketing’s hands

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sharkytm posted:

I have a Makita trimmer that takes 2x 18V batteries, I like it a lot. I haven't used a gas one to compare it to but it's super powerful and lasts longer than I need for my garden, which is not huge but only gets cut twice a year.

This is the one: Makita DUR364LZ Akku-Rasentrimmer

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last weekend I finished my pressure washer rebuild too, got the final part made to convert from 1/2" BSP to M22x1.5 (kränzle fittings) for my new lance and washed my car. So drat powerful... Reminds me of my dads 3-phase Kärcher from the early 90s that still works today. That thing made a groove in the wood paneling of the shed once.

Still could use new valves but that type of valve no longer exist so I would have to make some type of adapter.

Oh and I got way too short a hose.

It works! Now clean your drat concrete.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ok Comboomer posted:

TBF that’s prolly not his fault at that point, that blood’s on Marketing’s hands

Oh, I'm not blaming the individual, but I am blaming the ridiculous corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I have the DeWalt 20v trimmer, it only takes one battery and it absolutely tears through the charge. We do have a larger yard but it can't even come close to trimming around all our trees. It gets around maybe 10 or 15 before the 5ah battery goes flat and it feels under powered anyway. I'd be happier with a gas one probably. Or maybe a bigger flexvolt or something but I haven't invested at all into DeWalts 60v stuff