Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Protip,next time listen to the man when he says not to open the big scary coffin with something evil inside it. That did not go well.

Kangaax ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

X_Toad posted:

Kangaax ?

The regular Lich in the Temple District sewers, I think

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Still Kangaax related, if I remember right ?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

bike tory posted:

I'm sure these posts are a lot of work, but I wanted to say I appreciate them and hope you find the time to finish off the second book :)

Thanks. Sorry I haven't posted another update yet, but I've had some other stuff going on, and I've gotten distracted. It did occur to me earlier today that it had been a while since the last book update (looks like it's been a month). I'll try and see if I can get another one written soon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

X_Toad posted:

Still Kangaax related, if I remember right ?

Yeah, you get one of the pieces

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Thanks. Sorry I haven't posted another update yet, but I've had some other stuff going on, and I've gotten distracted. It did occur to me earlier today that it had been a while since the last book update (looks like it's been a month). I'll try and see if I can get another one written soon.

It's not exactly a Let's Play, but I think the LP philosophy fits here too: Your effort posts are a hobby, and don't stress about it that much. I too find the book posts hilarious, but you clearly put a lot of care in to editorialize (if that's the word) the craziest content for us, so you're essentially writing mini book reports for the fun of others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

Concurring with the poster above me, keep posting if you like posting them. I enjoy them too, so I would like you to keep posting them, but no one is paying you to post them, don't feel any obligation to post them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Considering the amount of gold you need to pay and how much Spellhold has been hyped up so far there is surpringly little combat in this section! I've also brought Yoshimo along as per advice farther down in the thread so we'll see how this goes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Considering the amount of gold you need to pay and how much Spellhold has been hyped up so far there is surpringly little combat in this section! I've also brought Yoshimo along as per advice farther down in the thread so we'll see how this goes

oh boy keep us up to date.

also read this spoiler once you're about to leave be sure to take yoshimo's heart with you. when you get back to athkatla, take it to the little temple to ilmater on the copper coronet's roof for the single biggest xp reward in the whole game.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Arivia posted:

oh boy keep us up to date.

also read this spoiler once you're about to leave be sure to take yoshimo's heart with you. when you get back to athkatla, take it to the little temple to ilmater on the copper coronet's roof for the single biggest xp reward in the whole game.

This comes with a rep boost, too, right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was so mad the first time I played through the game that Spellhold was over so quickly. At least my last playthrough I did the exit that entirely skipped the you-know-what area, which I did not even realize until wondering towards the end of the game "wait a minute, when do you go to THAT city again?"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was so mad the first time I played through the game that Spellhold was over so quickly. At least my last playthrough I did the exit that entirely skipped the you-know-what area, which I did not even realize until wondering towards the end of the game "wait a minute, when do you go to THAT city again?"

I'm a broken record about this, but the game pacing, or whatever you'd like to call it, is a bit all over the place. Each "class quest" is about an hour-long dungeon, which is sort of the same length as Spellhold. Spellhold has a bunch of stupid riddles, but they're easy and you get a ring of regeneration and those are some of my favourite rings in the game, so :shrug: And I'm fairly sure I did the shark-men city in like 45 minutes last time around.

But this is the point where the game goes a-ha on you, and you land in the Underdark, where there's 3 optional dungeons (you sort of have to do one I guess) that throw the absolute bull-shittiest game mechanics in your face. I guess maybe not the Kuo-toa area per se, but if you want the best loot out of there you have to fight the dumb, level-draining demon lords or whatever the gently caress those things are called. And there's 5 of them! At least on my latest run I sort-of-not-cheesed the squid dungeon and just sent Korgan in there with a ridiculous AC and the fire axe, and the stupid squids couldn't touch him before he killed 'em all with his ridiculous strength bonuses and whatnot.

Stupid, not-so-crafty murder squids. :hmmyes:

NOTE TO SHAME BOY: This is all discussing stuff you will see in the near future, don't spoil yourself needlessly :ohdear:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ah yes forget everything i just said! There was quite a bit of combat and some stupid puzzles to be had in Spellhold, and now i have Slayer powers? Seems neat!

and since i had the audacity to try and take the boat back to town to pick up Jaheira since i brought Yoshimo instead of her now i have to deal with fish people before going to the Underdark to get back out! How inconvenient

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sharktown has one of the best characters in BG2. Sadly, not recruitable!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ran away from the portals infinitely spawning elementals and literally took a wrong turn in the Underdark to end up in Mindflayer hell. This place sucks rear end.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rappaport posted:

Sharktown has one of the best characters in BG2. Sadly, not recruitable!

Goddamn that was a fun little thing. I don’t remember much at all from that game but that was great

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Ran away from the portals infinitely spawning elementals and literally took a wrong turn in the Underdark to end up in Mindflayer hell. This place sucks rear end.

Sounds like a pretty accurate Underdark experience

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I think the Underdark is one of my favorite parts of the game. So many cool things down there, and great loot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Okay, enough waiting. Time for a new book post.

When we last left off, Adalon had transformed the party to look like drow. Chapter 15 starts with Abdel watching as Adalon battles with drow. As the skirmish continues, Adalon sends a telepathic message to Abdel to book it to Ust Natha.

We cut to the group talking with a Drow, trying to come up with an excuse:

quote:

“We were the advance party,” Abdel said, assuming that if it didn’t work, he’d probably still be able to kill the lone drow.

The dark elf nodded and sighed, sitting down on the rough stone floor of the dark cavern like a half-empty sack of grain. Abdel looked over at Jaheira, who was looking back at him with barely disguised wonder. He knew he’d never have the heart to tell her the ruse was a wild stab in the dark.

The drow folded his legs into a position that looked painful to Abdel. A sigh escaped the dark elf’s lips—more a slow, steady exhale. His eyes were closed, and it was obvious that he was not only trying to calm himself, but succeeding.

“Who’s in charge?” the dark elf asked, opening his eyes and looking directly at Jaheira.

The druid glanced at Abdel, and the drow followed her gaze. His brow wrinkled, and he seemed confused. Abdel was about to claim leadership of the party but realized the drow was finding that unusual for some reason. Abdel looked at Imoen and tilted his head. They’d known each other long enough, and Abdel knew she had a dramatic streak to her that would pick up on what was passing between them and their reluctant new friend.

“I am,” Imoen said, her voice regal in her new skin.

The drow nodded and said, “I am Solausein, second to Phaere.”

Imoen had no idea how to respond, so she just nodded.

“I was sent to kill the dragon,” Solausein said.

We've got another misspelled name. It's Solaufein. Again, though, this might be just a result of the early script for BG2. As mentioned regarding the BG1 novel, Rieltar's name was misspelled, but that error was also present in some instances in the game.

Soulasein says that they should return to Ust Natha, and we cut to a scene with Phaere and Bodhi.

quote:

“All this for a diversionary tactic,” Phaere said, staring up at the tall archway of the completed gate. “I will say one thing for you humans, you do think big.”

Bodhi regarded her coldly and said, “I haven’t been human for a long time, young matron.”

Phaere turned to the vampire and smiled, letting her eyes slowly crawl up Bodhi’s tight, leather-clad body.

“I stand corrected,” she said.

Bodhi let the drow woman look at her. The vampire turned her attention to the gate. It was huge—easily big enough to march an army through. Now it was just a plain stone archway, but it still gave off a feeling of power, of magical energy Bodhi could feel from a distance. When it was activated by the dozen drow mages standing by, it would open an enchanted pathway through space and time onto the surface, and into a place Bodhi could never have walked into, let alone a drow strike regiment.

Human? Isn't Bodhi an elf? After all, she's the sister of Irenicus, so what's the deal? Can't remember for sure, but I think this is clarified later.

There an explanation of the Suldanessellar invasion.

quote:

“I won’t bother asking exactly what that might be,” Phaere said, “and I don’t really care after all, do I? If I get the mythal, you can have your way with Suldanessellar.”

Bodhi nodded and said, “You’ll have your mythal.”

The drow was looking for the elves’ magical engine—called a mythal. Bodhi didn’t understand exactly what a mythal was. All she needed to know was that Phaere wanted one badly enough that she’d lead a regiment of drow warriors into the forest of Tethir to get one. The fact that Suldanessellar had no mythal and Irenicus had no intention of getting one for her was something Phaere would have to find out the hard way. By the time she did, Irenicus would be done with whatever it was he needed to do, and they’d be long gone, leaving the elves and drow to work out the rest on their own—leaving them to kill each other.

So Bodhi and Irenicus are pulling a ruse on the Drow to fight amongst themselves while they carry out their plan. I can't remember if that was a thing in the game; I just remember Irenicus teaming up with the drow to invade and that's it.

Bodhi knows that Abdel and company are in pursuit, and that they've spoken with Adalon (somehow). She has a plan, though.

quote:

“Well,” Bodhi said, taking a step closer to the humming gate, “good for you. When the three of them get here, they’ll have to think they’ve succeeded in getting the eggs back. They’ll want to escape the city and bring the eggs to the dragon, who they think will send them to Suldanessellar. I’ll have someone here who they’ll think is a friend, who’ll nudge them in the right direction—through the gate.”

“You’ll send them back to the dragon?”

Bodhi smirked. “This gate doesn’t lead to the dragon, Phaere. It will bring them where I want them to go.”

“Humans in Ust Natha,” Phaere said. “It’s not right.”

Bodhi ignored the dark elf and said, “Here he is.”

The humming of the gate changed timbre for just the slightest moment, and the color shifted away from violet and more toward blue. A small, round-faced man with the features of an elf but the ears of a human stepped tentatively onto the marble tiles of the square in Ust Natha.

“Yoshimo,” Bodhi said.

The Kozakuran looked around himself once, his mouth open in awe, and took a moment to find Bodhi.

He smiled weakly and said, “Bodhi, you have most unusual friends.”

“People say the same about you,” she replied, “I’m sure.”

Bodhi stepped forward, and Yoshimo flinched back. This made Phaere laugh and Yoshimo blush.

Bodhi looked at Phaere and said, “Take care of him for me, will you?”

Phaere smirked sourly and nodded. Bodhi stepped through the gate and was gone.

Holy crap, it's Yoshimo! Yeah, it looks like Yoshimo's double-cross was part of the original plot outline, although here, there's no mention of a geas (have to double-check), and no mention of Tamoko being Yoshimo's sister (though I don't think that actually made it into the game, either, from what I read).

Anyway, with that twist, we end Chapter 15.

Chapter 16 beings with the party having arrived in Ust Natha, meeting with Phaere. It's described Soulasein guided them back to the city, and how he works for Phaere. Imoen's still acting as the leader.

quote:

Solausein made the introductions—they’d given him hastily contrived aliases out of simple caution—and it was obvious that the young drow woman was interested only in Imoen, who for her part seemed to be reveling in her position of contrived authority the same way she was reveling in her jet black skin.

Oh, there's also this line a couple paragraphs prior.

quote:

What they knew by the time they reached Ust Natha was that Solausein worked for the daughter of a drow matron (Imoen in particular seemed enamored with the drow’s apparently matriarchal society) who was rapidly gaining power in the city.

:raise:

Imoen states that Adalon has agreed to Phaere's demands, with Jaheira explaining how Adalon no longer has her mate, so the eggs are irreplaceable.

quote:

The drow woman turned to Solausein, who would not meet her gaze. “Are these all?” she asked him.

“Mistress Phaere,” he said, “I—”

“You left with twenty warriors,” Phaere pressed.

“The dragon overwhelmed them,” Imoen said.

Her voice was cold enough to send a chill down Abdel’s spine. Was she liking this too much? Liking it at all was too much.

Phaere smiled broadly at Imoen and said, “So it did.”

“Mistress, I—”

“Will close your stupid, ineffectual mouth,” Phaere finished for him. Solausein stepped back one step and kept his eyes fixed on the ground.

“Jaenra,” Phaere said, using Imoen’s alias and addressing her directly. “I think I’m beginning to remember you now.”

Imoen nodded curtly and offered a wry smile. Phaere stepped closer to her—very close—and said, “You will replace the ineffective Solausein in all his duties.”

“Yes, mistress,” Imoen answered.

“All his duties,” the drow emphasized.

“Yes,” Imoen answered, more slowly this time, looking the drow woman directly in the eyes, “Mistress Phaere.”

Now, I know what you're probably pondering: "Is this next scene going where I think it is?" But no! It's the scene after this one. We instead change scene to a drow tavern, where Abdel, Jaheira, and Soulasein are convening at.

quote:

“She can be… difficult,” Jaheira said, doing a good job of sounding familiar with the drow mistress.

Solausein took a deep draft of the strange beverage that Abdel thought smelled a little like beer and forced a smile.

“It is to be expected,” he said.

Abdel took a third tentative sip of his own beverage and looked around the tavern room again. Drow taverns, if this one was typical, were quiet, serious places full of quiet, serious people with skin the color of the darkest ebony. It was dark, lit sparsely with candles, and the menu consisted of things Abdel could never bring himself to eat. Live spiders… he’d rather starve.

Do drow eat spiders? That doesn't sound right to me, considering they worship a spider god.

quote:

Solausein nodded and said, “I failed my mistress.”

“But to humiliate you like that,” Abdel said, “I would have—”

“Tzvin!” Jaheira barked, using Abdel’s drow alias.

Abdel worked at being appropriately chastised and looked away.

“Perhaps,” Jaheira said to Solausein, “what you need is a change. There are other houses to serve, aren’t there?”

Hopefully, Abdel thought, Solausein won’t realize that was not a rhetorical question.

Solausein looked at Jaheira—really looked at her for the first time.

“Others have ambitions,” she said, staring directly into the drow’s eyes with a look that made Abdel instantly and intensely jealous.

“Ja—” he started to say, but stopped himself before he used her real name. He tried but suddenly couldn’t remember her peculiar alias, so he said nothing.

Jaheira faked a chastising glare, and Abdel looked away.

Solausein didn’t fail to notice the exchange. He looked at Abdel and said, “It is what men are here for, my friend. It is the natural order of things.”

“Yes it is,” Jaheira said.

Solausein took another long sip of his beverage, and so did Abdel.

“Speak,” Jaheira prodded.

“The eggs,” Solausein said. “You want the eggs.”

We then cut to...

quote:

Phaere’s bedchambers were rather different than anything Imoen would have expected. Of course she’d heard the tales and legends of the drow since she was just a little girl. Always it was about spiders and monsters and cruel tortures. They were always described as a hideous, even malformed race who kept slaves and reveled in hour after hour of continuous bloodshed and thrill killing.

Her actual experience of the drow was rather different.

First of all, they were far from hideous and not the slightest bit malformed. In fact, Imoen found Phaere quite compelling. The drow’s skin didn’t glow—it did just the opposite. The blackness of it seemed to draw light into it, never to escape. Phaere’s face was long and regal with a pronounced chin and cheekbones. Her nose was small and turned gently upward. Her eyes were big, almond-shaped, and a sparkling violet color Imoen couldn’t stop staring at. Her white hair smelled as clean as it looked—even from a distance—and it cascaded down her long neck, over her tight shoulders, and down her slim back nearly to her waist.

Imoen confirmed for being a weeb for Drow (Drowaboo? Drowphile?)

quote:

Her body was hard from long hours of daily training. Phaere was at least two inches shorter than Imoen, but Imoen knew the drow woman could kill her with her bare hands. Imoen was attracted to her ears as well. They were perfectly shaped, symmetrical, and pointed, the tips peeking out from under her hair. Phaere’s hands were lithe and smooth. There was no hint of blemish or imperfection on her at all, and the low-cut, backless robe showed enough of her to make that all the more impressive.

Imoen looked at her own hand and marveled at the deep black color.

“I’ve had a bath run for you,” Phaere said, her voice low and intimate now.

Behind her, a thin-framed drow boy scurried about with a huge amphora of warm, scented water.

“Thank you, mistress,” Imoen said, keeping her own voice low as well.

Phaere smiled and nodded toward the curtained room just as the last of the amphora-toting boys passed out of it and scurried off into the corridor beyond.

“Please…” Phaere said politely. “Bathe, and we can talk.”

:catstare:

quote:

She’d been enjoying the ruse and would never have trouble admitting that she found the drow attractive—she even found herself more attractive as a drow—but she’d still been rather nervous around Phaere. Now, though, all she could think about was the bath. She shed her torn clothes quickly enough, not even thinking to try to explain them and their state to Phaere. They weren’t drow clothes.

Phaere sat down on a low marble bench lined with rich cushions. As she sat, she pulled from a concealed pocket in her robe a long, thin wand that seemed to be made from crushed gemstones.

Imoen slid into the tub and let the water wrap around her. She closed her eyes and let out a long, relieved breath.

“It’s been a long time?” Phaere asked. Imoen opened her eyes and saw Phaere twirling the wand between two fingers.

:gonk:

quote:

“What is that?” Imoen asked.

“Do you mean am I going to kill you with it?” Phaere asked, not looking at her.

Imoen wasn’t sure how to answer, so she didn’t. The warm, perfect water was like satin on her skin, and it was quickly making her sleepy.

“It’s a wand,” Phaere said, almost bored. “Lightning bursts from it on my command.”

“Impressive,” Imoen said, her voice even lower still.

Oh, phew. I was worried there for a minute. :sweatdrop:

quote:

Phaere looked at her and Imoen closed her eyes.

“Tomorrow is an auspicious day,” the drow said.

“Is it?” Imoen asked, not even sure why she needed to keep the conversation going.

Phaere stood slowly and stepped toward the bath. “I truly begin my ascent tomorrow,” She said. “I mean to replace my mother.”

Imoen said nothing, not even sure what Phaere meant.

“That information would be worth a lot to her,” Phaere said. “I’d have to kill you if you sold it to her, though, so please don’t.”

Imoen opened her eyes and regarded Phaere calmly. “I know who my friends are,” she said.

“Good,” Phaere answered and let her robe slip to the ground. Imoen pulled in a short breath and opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out.

...Well, back to :catstare:

quote:

Phaere, eyes still on Imoen’s, stepped into the tub and lowered herself into the water as slowly as Imoen had. The bath was huge enough that a good half dozen yards of warm water separated the two women.

“Do you know what a mythal is?” Phaere asked.

Imoen shook her head, her body suddenly tense.

“In a few days’ time I’ll have one at my disposal, and all I have to do is march a few hundred of my mother’s all-too-expendable soldiers through a gate into some surface-elf forest. How long have they been expecting that? The arrogant fools actually think we’re down here with nothing more interesting to occupy our minds than plans for their meaningless downfall.”

Imoen closed her eyes again, willing herself to relax, and said, “So why give them their wish?”

“I must have been six the first time my mother told me never to make a deal with a vampire,” answered Phaere cryptically.

The word “vampire” gave Imoen a chill, and her hand came up enough to disturb the water around her.

“Yes,” Phaere said, misinterpreting the gesture. “It’s not an easy thing to stomach, I assure you, but I’m getting the better end of the bargain. They have some secret weapon—some unsuspecting humans who carry some kind of curse that’s supposed to help them. It’s typically ham-handed human conniving—transparent and unmotivated amateurs that they are. The vampire even sent some chubby little human to help lure these others in or send them on their way through the gate for some reason. How this little man doesn’t realize his mistress plans to kill him immediately afterward, I certainly don’t understand. Not that the vampire’s anymarter. I’m sure that bloodsucking bitch doesn’t even know what a mythal is—has no idea what she’s giving up in favor of a diversion.”

“Diversion?”

Phaere slipped closer to Imoen in the bath, sending warm waves lapping against the soft underside of Imoen’s chin.

“They have some grudge against one of the surface elves,” Phaere said, obviously growing bored with the conversation. “I make this elf think the great drow invasion has finally come, and in all the chaos that follows, Bodhi and Irenicus do whatever it is they’ve set out to do. In exchange, I get power enough to ascend to the highest position in Ust Natha.”

“A good bargain,” Imoen said.

When Phaere had mentioned Bodhi and Irenicus by name, another chill ran down her spine. When Phaere touched her, a sensation of an entirely different nature followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMBFghFCIg

...So we return to Abdel and Jaheira, where Soulasein has led them to the eggs. Soulasein has the guards load up the eggs in a cart, then dismisses them. They're about to leave, when...

quote:

“We should be going, mistress,” Abdel prodded.

Jaheira turned and said, “Indeed, we need to—”

“They’re being moved?” an all-too-familiar voice sounded in the empty room. Abdel, Jaheira, and Solausein turned simultaneously, and Abdel’s head spun at the sight of Yoshimo, flanked by two unhappy-looking drow guards, strolling casually into the room. “I was hoping to see these great dragon eggs for myself.”

Jaheira said, “Uh—” and turned away.

Abdel tried to do the same thing without being obvious.

“What is this… thing doing here?” Solausein asked the guards.

“It’s a human, sir,” one of the guards reported flatly. “It’s a guest of the mistress’s.”

Abdel caught the look on Yoshimo’s face and realized the Kozakuran didn’t understand what was being said.

Abdel’s mind reeled. What could Yoshimo possibly be doing here?

He was in league with Irenicus, then… it was all starting to make sense. Abdel realized that it really was important to make sure Yoshimo didn’t recognize him or Jaheira. So far, it appeared he didn’t.

“This man is known to us,” Jaheira said to Solausein, and Abdel felt a short wave of panic wash over him. Jaheira had met Yoshimo in Irenicus’s prison but didn’t know the rest of it. She didn’t know what Abdel knew. “He’s of use to me,” Jaheira continued. “Dismiss the guards.”

She turned her back on Yoshimo, and Solausein, without hesitation, said, “You heard the mistress. We’ll take it from here.”

These guards were a little more reluctant to be relieved of their duty, but they still bowed to Solausein and left the room. Yoshimo plastered an inane grin on his face. He was surprised by this turn of events and even without looking too directly at him, Abdel could tell he was nervous.

“I did not mean to intrude,” Yoshimo said.

Abdel didn’t want to look at him—didn’t want to show any sign that he understood what the Kozakuran was saying.

“I don’t understand this human,” Solausein said.

“I must beg your pardon, my black-skinned friend,” Yoshimo said, “but I am unfamiliar with the tongue of your underground city.”

So this is actually kind of a cool dynamic, moreso than what we had in the game. We know that Yoshimo's been tasked by Bodhi to find the party, but he doesn't know that they've been made to look like Drow. Abdel's realized that Yoshimo's in league with Irenicus, but none of them can acknowledge Yoshimo, lest they give themselves away. The first time I read this, I really liked this change, and was interested to see how it would play out.

quote:

Abdel felt a tingling feeling shudder through his whole body and was surprised—even a little disappointed—by his nervousness.

“Abdel?” Yoshimo asked, quietly, tentatively.

Solausein said something Abdel didn’t understand, and Abdel suddenly realized the feeling wasn’t nerves. He wasn’t a dark elf any more.

So of course, as soon as this dynamic is established, it gets destroyed by the spell wearing off. :negative:

We switch back to Imoen briefly, who steals Phaere's wand. After Phaere checks in on her and leaves, the spell wears off for Imoen.

We return to Abdel and Jaheira confronting Yoshimo

quote:

Abdel punched Solausein in the face so hard the drow’s nose shattered in a spray of blood. He went down fast and hard.

“It is you!” Yoshimo exclaimed. He seemed legitimately happy to see Abdel and Jaheira. “My friends, am I happy to have found you!”

“Save it, Yoshimo,” Jaheira said, surprising Abdel, who was rubbing bruised knuckles. Solausein didn’t stir. “What are you doing here of all places?”

“Why, looking for you, of course,” the Kozakuran replied.

Abdel had his sword out and at Yoshimo’s throat before he could say anything else. “What in the Nine Hells is all this?”

“I can explain all,” Yoshimo said, eyeing Abdel’s blade with a mixture of fear and haughty offense. “I think we should be leaving this city of drow elves first, though, yes?”

'Drow elves'? Isn't that redundant?

quote:

“Easier said than done,” Abdel growled. He turned to Jaheira and said, “We wasted too much time.”

“I know a way out,” Yoshimo said, “but it will take a while to get there from here.”

“We have a cart,” Jaheira said. She noticed Abdel’s perturbed look and told him, “We need to get out of here. If he can get us to the dragon, I honestly don’t care why he’s doing it.”

“He’s working for Irenicus,” Abdel said. “I should gut him now.”

“Oh, my good friend, I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Yoshimo said weakly. “I have come to help—that is my one desire.”

Solausein grumbled, still unconscious, and rolled slightly to one side.

“He’s waking up,” Jaheira warned. “We need to get out of here.”

“I can get you straight to the surface through a most impressive magical gate.”

“We’re not going to the surface,” Abdel said, glancing at Jaheira with a look of resignation.

“We have to give a dragon back its eggs first,” Jaheira said.

“After we find Imoen,” Abdel corrected.

“Imoen?” Yoshimo asked.

“We came with another woman—a human disguised as a dark elf,” said Abdel.

“Ah…” Yoshimo said. “She’s with Phaere.”

“Still?” Jaheira asked, though she didn’t expect an answer.

“And the gate will take you to the dragon,” the Kozakuran proffered.

“How’s that?” asked Abdel, already pushing Yoshimo to the door.

“It was explained to me that you but think of the destination in your mind, and away you go.”

“I can’t think of anything better, Abdel,” Jaheira said quickly, “and we need to get out of here right now.”

Abdel smiled, looked at Yoshimo, and said, “Lead the way.”

So ends Chapter 16. Hopefully it will not take me over a month to cover the next couple of chapters.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 8, 2023

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I remember a big gate in Ust Natha, but the demon was standing in front of it right? Wasn't it a gate to hell or something?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

e: never mind, I am a moron

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2023

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So to talk about the Yoshimo thing now that i'm fully out of the Asylum and The Underdark i had a suspicion it might be something like a betrayal and the impact was lessened since i haden't been using Yoshi since the beginning like i guess the devs intended you probably might. But i think it's still a decent moment that made me feel bad for the guy and for the time the game came out and especially in the sense of a DnD party, having a party member turn against you is a big deal! If i had been using him as my only thief i'd have to go grab Jan or Nalia (who i'm already using as my mage and my lovely thief) to do the job instead.

With all of that said though, Chapters 5 and 6 went by super fast after how long those first 4 took! I guess it's more of a chance to let you clean up sidequests you left behind from Chapter 2 and having big important book characters help you fight Bohdi and the vampires is pretty cool, i just kind of wish they were hiding somewhere that wasen't the same place they were last time? Seems strange they'd go back to the already compromised hideout. The new huge forest area and that one screen desert/oasis place were neat but didn't seem to have much in them.

Just...what exactly are your options to leave if you piss off the dragon in the Underdark? Seems like you're kind railroaded into helping her out and playing around in the Drow political stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can kill the dragon, and if you're an evil character it's beneficial to do so because it lets you upgrade the Human Leather armor. Also, if you just don't want to deal with all the drow poo poo and can get away with it, you can just kill the dragon and not deal with any of their poo poo.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can escape without Adalon, you can even kill her if you want. The exit to the surface is in the kuo toa tunnels. I'd strongly recommend going through her quest though, it's interesting and you have lots of options for how to end it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is she easier than trying to take on sombody like Firkraag or the black shadow dragon dude in the temple?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No idea because I never did it, her request is unreasonable, but also understandable. She can't just burn down all of Drow town because she might harm her own eggs, but she's a mother very worried about them so she shang hai's the first adventuring party she can to get them back for her.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Is she easier than trying to take on sombody like Firkraag or the black shadow dragon dude in the temple?

About on par, the dragons in this game are all pretty much the same deal. Her breath does cold damage so stock up on resistance. Otherwise make sure your front liners are spread around her so they don't all get wing buffeted at once, and your ranged are spread out at max range so only one will be hit by the breath at a time. They always open with a dispel that'll strip all your buffs and a Death Spell that instakills all the summons it hits, so bait those out with a single weak summon. Use the mage spell Breach to strip her stoneskins whenever they go up (which will be 2-3 times through the fight, starting immediately when you attack), and have your mages cast Lower Resistance or the higher level versions like 4-5 times on her before using damage spells or they won't go through.

Sounds complicated but it's not difficult to do really.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Okay sombody explain to me the magical power struggle that the rest of the game is going to be at this point because Irenicus is kicking my rear end and it seems like Breach and Pierce Magic are not working? Or maybe they there are and he's just recasting them or something. He's never vulnurable long enough for me to get hits in before he time stops and mazes, horrid wilting and banshee wails the party to shreds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Shame Boy posted:

Okay sombody explain to me the magical power struggle that the rest of the game is going to be at this point because Irenicus is kicking my rear end and it seems like Breach and Pierce Magic are not working? Or maybe they there are and he's just recasting them or something. He's never vulnurable long enough for me to get hits in before he time stops and mazes, horrid wilting and banshee wails the party to shreds.

If you're playing vanilla bg2 I believe the only thing that blocks breach is spell shield, but spell shield will get cancelled by it as well when the breach hits. Not sure if Irenicus even casts spell shield either. So just keep spamming breach on Irenicus and then beat him up.

Also, buff up your entire party with protection from magical energy and death ward. Protection from magical energy will make you immune to horrid wilting damage, and death ward will protect against wail of the banshee. Prebuff with those.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ah yes thanks! That was really all it was just a few extra spells i haden't ever used before in buff rotations were the key :v: Now where the Hell am i? Actually, i think i just answered my own question

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Improved invisibility also stops you from targeting the caster with breach, so if you're getting a message like "can't target this creature" or whatever then cast Truesight. Better to use clerics (or inquisitor paladins) for this than mages.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That is exactly the reason i'm bringing Keldorn around and this being the first time i've played the game past the opening like 30 minutes, oh boy am i glad for that build in True Sight and Dispel Magics

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The biggest threats in BG2 are mages, and Inquisitors just poo poo on them. Even without Carsomyr. They're better wizard slayers than Wizard Slayers.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh i guess i'm just done with Shadows of Amn now! It was said up thread that the pacing just goes bonkers was definitely correct. Once you're through the opening act of collecting all the money to get to Spellhold it's just big moment after big moment and had i known going to Elf Town was gonna be the start of the end game i definitely would have at least attempted to clean up some of Watchers Keep beforehand, i'm sure it'll be fine though.

It's a bit of an odd thing having only played a bit of 3rd and mostly 5th edition IRL and this game being the mid to late game of a high level adventure of a completely different rule set i'm still not entirely to grips with. I can't even say i've ever even been in a game with characters past 10 or 11th level IRL but here i end Shadows of Amn with my characters in the range of 13-18 with only Anomen being the exception at 20/7 Cleric/Fighter and it's only going to get more insane from here!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm sometimes given to realise that the 'spell duel' aspect of BG2, the supposed system of protections, counters and counters to counters, is teaspoon shallow much of the time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sometimes given to realise that the 'spell duel' aspect of BG2, the supposed system of protections, counters and counters to counters, is teaspoon shallow much of the time.

It's not complicated, but if you don't know how the various spells interact it will be very frustrating for you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

sweet geek swag posted:

It's not complicated, but if you don't know how the various spells interact it will be very frustrating for you.

I can't disagree.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Oh i guess i'm just done with Shadows of Amn now! It was said up thread that the pacing just goes bonkers was definitely correct. Once you're through the opening act of collecting all the money to get to Spellhold it's just big moment after big moment and had i known going to Elf Town was gonna be the start of the end game i definitely would have at least attempted to clean up some of Watchers Keep beforehand, i'm sure it'll be fine though.

It's a bit of an odd thing having only played a bit of 3rd and mostly 5th edition IRL and this game being the mid to late game of a high level adventure of a completely different rule set i'm still not entirely to grips with. I can't even say i've ever even been in a game with characters past 10 or 11th level IRL but here i end Shadows of Amn with my characters in the range of 13-18 with only Anomen being the exception at 20/7 Cleric/Fighter and it's only going to get more insane from here!

Ah don't worry about not getting to clean up bits of Watchers Keep, you can still go there in ToB.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

In Vanilla it is pretty simple. Sword Coast Strategems makes it so that stripping spell protections from wizards is harder than just breach--->win but not everyone likes having to put more effort into that sorta thing so ymmv.

One neat trick you can do on both SCS and vanilla bg2 is to use cloud type spells to interrupt enemies. On vanilla and scs it's often rare for wizards to protection themselves from poison so cloudkill despite not doing a ton of damage is actually really good on both scs and vanilla to deal with enemy mages. Incendiary Cloud and Death Fog can be good for the same reasons, but on SCS at least it's a little more common for wizards to throw up protection from fire or acid. Poison protection is rare in my experience though. But no need to deal with mage chess if you just throw up a cloud that they aren't ready for.

Sadly liches are fuckers and immune to poison by default and scs liches will usually protect themselves from fire/acid as well but against non liches it's chefs kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Once HLAs are available I use storm of vengeance for the same effect. Multiple damage types, party friendly.