Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Are we the country that uses airport codes the most, as metonymy for their cities? Like, if I'm texting someone that I'm going to be in Toronto, I'm gonna use YYZ. Or YYC, or YVR, or maybe YUL though that one doesn't seem as engrained in my subconscious. But this seems consistent across a large number of people in my age group and younger.

I don't see this as much for people in the US, like my cousin near Miami wouldn't say she's from FLL or wouldn't want to go on a visit in ORD when CHI is right there. And people would say LA, not LAX unless they're specifically referring to the airport.

I swear I'm not just asking this because I've had some edibles and limoncello, but it's not not contributing to my line of thought.

e: it occurs to me that because our major cities are more isolated than any country but, like, Australia, that we'd pretty much always be entering another city by air. But then I've never seen someone refer to Brisbane as BNE.

Maybe a regional thing? Around here we just call Toronto TO. We don't really refer to other cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I have never once in my life heard a city referred to by the airport code. :psyduck: Are you sure it's not the edibles?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Definitely a thing in Edmonton. maybe because the airport code is something that can be easily pronounced, but there are a few places/festivals that refer to Edmonton as YEG.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's more of a thing in BC and Alberta.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah definitely a thing in the west.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
We used to use telephone area code and most places in NA did so as well, but at least in AB and BC they hosed that up and it became impossible.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

They originally were all named “Rough Riders”

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I only know YYZ, that was like a Rush album or something, right? Portlanders do love to drop a PDX though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yellowknife isn't YYK so it's a bad metronym system regardless

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve never met anyone who uses airport codes as a stand in for city names.

My employer has several teams who are based out west and I’ve never heard any of them use airport codes either.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
Use of ‘ YEG’ in like Facebook group names for things like local coupon/sales announcements or Edmonton photo feeds is definitely a thing, although I don’t think its seriously mainstream. I don’t know when this started but I’ve always thought it was weird.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
In BC I find the older people say "the airport" and young people say the code for the airport. When talking about other cities, we say the whole name of the city. I think perhaps pilots or mailmen maybe would think like you are describing?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

YSK that I just disappointed myself by discovering that Saskatoon’s airport code is YXE and not YSK

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'ma going to *shrieks* IYYYYYYSKUH!"

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I’ve definitely seen YUL used but it’s definitely not a full mainstream thing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I know it's YVR but literally never met anyone that uses it. Maybe just online as a shorthand.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
But "Van" is right there. I've heard 604 in the past but not so much anymore, since those dirty 778s moved in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait until you hear about the 236’s

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'll admit to being a shameful idiot that uses ICAO codes. Mostly for Canadian cities and only sometimes for US and international ones. I do work in aviation though. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

I'll admit to being a shameful idiot that uses ICAO codes. Mostly for Canadian cities and only sometimes for US and international ones. I do work in aviation though. :shrug:

Neeeeeeerd

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Kingston tends to refer to itself as YGK online a lot. I think it started because of Twitter hashtags.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I lived in Vancouver for 30 years and can't recall a single time that someone referred to the city itself as YVR. The airport isn't even in Vancouver, so there.

So far in Ottawa definitely no one is calling it YOW even though that's a fantastic airport code and we should take advantage of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
YYZ isn't in Toronto either.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's not a thing I've ever heard someone say out loud, in real life (thankfully), but I see it on tweets so maybe that's where it's from

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

It's not a thing I've ever heard someone say out loud, in real life (thankfully), but I see it on tweets so maybe that's where it's from

i think it's popular in the Black community in Canada, especially in the GTA - Drake didn't come up with it, but he definitely made a big deal out of identifying himself as coming from the YYZ. We're pretty drat white here in sa canpol, we could have just missed it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

berenzen posted:

Definitely a thing in Edmonton. maybe because the airport code is something that can be easily pronounced, but there are a few places/festivals that refer to Edmonton as YEG.
Yeah, I think that's informing my experience more than anything. It's common here so we extend it to other locations.

And really, any time I've arrived in Vancouver it's through YVR. It's an hour and a half by plane or a very long day of driving.

angerbeet posted:

Kingston tends to refer to itself as YGK online a lot. I think it started because of Twitter hashtags.
Today I learned that my university friends from YGK are just humoring me when I tell them I'm coming to YYZ :v:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/a-good-death-maid

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-pledge-to-halt-budget-1.6865851

LMAO Skippy saw his American controllers pulling this poo poo across the border and decided he'd try to have a go at it as well.

I don't usually suggest reading the comments but even the type of person who posts comments on CBC isn't impressed with his dumbassery.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Love looking at the US and thinking, "Yes, please."

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
It's called a filibuster. It has happened in the past in the Commons and it will happen again in the future. No need for puppet masters.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

infernal machines posted:

YYZ isn't in Toronto either.

Yeah, why doesn't everyone give The Sog its due?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
A Canadian Heritage Moment:

One night after falling asleep reading Ayn Rand, Neil Peart devised the complicated time signature changes for a song called "YYZ" in his dreams of pure free will. People liked the song anyway, probably because it didn't have words and therefore didn't express the ideology that inspired it nor did it encourage Geddy Lee to sing, and thusly it was decided to name Toronto after it. This is why everybody outside of Ontario refers to Toronto as "YYZ". That this is also the airport code is strictly coincidental.

This is what I was taught in western Canada. Most of the actual books were burned in Brandon, it's not my fault.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Albino Squirrel posted:

Are we the country that uses airport codes the most, as metonymy for their cities? Like, if I'm texting someone that I'm going to be in Toronto, I'm gonna use YYZ. Or YYC, or YVR, or maybe YUL though that one doesn't seem as engrained in my subconscious. But this seems consistent across a large number of people in my age group and younger.

My detailed statistical analysis reveals that it's just you and two other YEG posters. Everyone other post I bothered to read was just referring to the actual airport.

Albino Squirrel posted:

On a federal level, not great - the centre and left vote is split between the Liberals and NDP. My own riding, Edmonton Centre, is decidedly more progressive than most of Alberta, but went conservative in a 41-33-20 Con-Lib-NDP split. You may see some red or orange seats next election in Edmonton or Calgary - remember Edmonton Strathcona being the Eye of Layton under Harper? - but most of the seats are safely Conservative at election time. Ironically the Liberals would have done much better here if they got rid of FPTP :v:

Provincially, there's not the same issue - the Alberta Liberal Party finally collapsed in 2015 and that's the biggest factor in allowing the ANDP to take power. They are now positioning themselves as a big-tent centre-left party and have a lead in the polls, especially as the UCP continues to track far to the right. That plays well in rural AB but not that well in the cities - Alberta isn't as much of a monolith as the federal results would show. You need two of Edmonton, Calgary, and the rural seats to win a majority in the Alberta Legislature; the ANDP has YEG on lock and is making a solid push in YYC. I think they have a good shot, especially given how badly Kenney has hosed up everything, but two years is an eternity in politics.

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/LeahGazan/status/1495432087490416641

Ten minutes worth spending, if you aren't the type to go reading Hansard. The Honourable Member from Yeg Centre calls this occupation, its leaders and its collaborators in the house exactly what they are

Lars Blitzer posted:

There are also the Water Warriors YEG. They're a group of like-minded individuals that collaborate on a weekly basis to bring water, food and supplies to Edmonton's displaced community. It's a very small group run by Claire, a friend of mine, who have been active since last year since Camp Pekiwewin got crowded. After the camp was disbanded by EPS they've concentrated their efforts to outreach, making rounds with supplies and food on the streets. But there are plenty of community groups that try to help however they can.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Leah Gazan is YWG Centre not YEG! :argh:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

berenzen posted:

Yes, and I hate this because the airport is usually 50km away from whatever is actually being referenced.

:goonsay:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

A good article. Being able to provide MAiD is one of those really profound privileges of medicine. And as someone who got to see the alternative through working as a nurse prior to MAiD being legalized and taking care of terminally ill folks, I'm really grateful it's at least an option for patients.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I think MAiD is important to maintain, although its use should be suitably controlled. I think that's a lovely story, too; we hear far too much about the few cases of... malpractice, and not enough about the people who make a very reasonable and personal choice of their own free will without pressure.

I think publicizing this sort of thing is very beneficial in ensuring that MAiD is done properly. Given that it's fairly newly legal, it needs to be "publicized" in a sense that this option is available, because there is frankly no good way to suggest that MAiD is available on a personal level without it feeling like some kind of pressure. And once it's widely known that this is a thing you can request, arguably, it should simply not be brought up until someone asks about it, which sets really nice, clear lines for what is appropriate for doctors to do, and removes a lot of the concerns about people being pressured into making this choice.

I do think there are some concerns, but ultimately, I've seen multiple family members and friends die of age-related conditions with no quality of life or dignity at the end, and I think MAiD should be an option because that poo poo is just no good! Granted, personally, I'd still prefer to go the way a friend's mother did: sudden heart attack in your upper 80s, fit as a fiddle one day, in a box the next. That's the real dream. You don't get the goodbyes, but there's no dealing with your body slowly shutting down and turning against you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sault Ste Marie has YAM as it's code, which is clearly he best one.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I wish Kelowna International Airport used its proper acronym instead of that YLW nonsense, I mean come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Because no one asked:

I agree that using IATA codes is a very Alberta thing, it's very common in Calgary too. That notwithstanding, I think it's stupid, because Canadian IATA codes are ridiculous, and I'm here to tell you why.

IATA codes are used for commercial flights and consist of three letters. ICAO codes are used for aviation more generally and consist of four letters/numbers. ICAO codes are assigned by country, with either a one- or two-letter prefix indicating the country/region they belong to. Canada, the continental US, and Australia are, as far as I know, the only countries with a single-letter prefix. We get C, the US gets K, Australia gets Y. Other countries have a two-letter prefix, with the first letter indicating a region. For example, EG is England, EF is France, EP is Portugal, RJ is Japan, RK is South Korea, and so on and so forth. This results in most ICAO codes having very little to do with the actual locations of the airport, although you can sometimes reason it out via the last two letters.

IATA codes are written to be somewhat more understandable, in that you can generally reason out how a code came to be, either by the name of the airport or the name of the city it serves. This holds true in most of the world, as there are no divisions by country. Being that the US is the centre of the universe, you can usually simply drop the leading K from the ICAO code and get the resulting IATA code: KJFK -> JFK, KLAX -> LAX, and so forth. Where this becomes really interesting is in the case of Anchorage and Honolulu. Alaska takes the ICAO prefix PA, and Hawaii PH. So, you get PANC and PHNL, where the pattern still applies but only by sheer luck.

Now we get to Canada. We have the ICAO prefix C, and being a practical sort of people, we want to do something with our bonus extra letter. So the second letter of our ICAO identifiers is based on whether or not there was a weather station present when all of this poo poo was originally decided. Those with a station take 'Y', otherwise.... you might get anything. So most of our relevant airports start with CY. Well, we looked down at the states, at their wonderful system of simply dropping the first letter of their ICAO code and decided "yes, that's the right way for us" instead of simply coming up with separate IATA codes like the rest of the world. Because very few places start with Y and would conflict with something we've already assigned, that worked nicely for us. although YUM and YKA (Yuma, AZ and Yakima, WA) are both notable exceptions to the rule.

Now, you may ask: this is some weird historical bullshit. Surely we wouldn't continue this dumbass pattern for no discernable reason. Oh, but readers: we are Canadian, of course we would! I'm sure there are other examples, but the one I'm familiar with is Trail, BC. It is the place you would use if it were found necessary to administer an enema to the Kootenays (I say this not because it's awful -- which it is -- but because it smells like poo poo), but inexplicably there is occasional commercial service to its dreadful airport. Naturally, being a backwater shithole, it was assigned the ICAO code CAD4 (not even all letters; how shameful). However, since it gets commercial service, it also has an IATA code. There were many options to go with -- FML is available, and it's the thing that might come to mind if you found yourself in Trail, but they decided to go with the pattern and picked YZZ.

And this is why it looks quite ridiculous when people use airport codes on twitter for Canada.