Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, the genius move was to take Eisenberg and put him in the Luthor role, not to invent that kind of image for Eisenberg. Many people at the time thought Snyder intended (and failed, naturally) to ape the Joker.

Yeah the genius of it is how hyper competent Luthor is overall (and how physically imposing he can be also even without his power armor stuff) in other recent media vs. how if the Snyder movies were "what if this poo poo happened in the real world and stuff actually mattered" then it's taken to the correct reality that guys like Luthor are closer to Eisenberg's portrayal or Edward Norton in Glass Onion and such.

I liked that painting of the late Luthor Senior being the movie also, you know in like two seconds that like there's a dozen Luthor senior donated wings in several hospitals and he has a library named after him and has some visionary captain of industry enlightened business god reputation despite being just as much of an irredeemable sack of poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

well why not posted:

It was a smart choice to replace Luthor's traditional tycoon/magnate with a silicon valley type, and doubly so to get the exact simulacrum of Zuckerberg.

On the other hand, I didn't hear a single mechanical clank while Luthor moved, and his skin appeared to look very lifelike

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Should have gone with Michael Cera if the goal was a simulacrum of Eisenberg's Zuck!

In all seriousness, it is confounding how many reviewers at the time came away with the conclusion that Eisenberg was trying to imitate the Ledger Joker. How could anyone, especially someone who works a professional movie critic, seriously think that? Just another example of how Snyder does something to otherwise normal peoples' brains.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

Should have gone with Michael Cera if the goal was a simulacrum of Eisenberg's Zuck!

In all seriousness, it is confounding how many reviewers at the time came away with the conclusion that Eisenberg was trying to imitate the Ledger Joker. How could anyone, especially someone who works a professional movie critic, seriously think that? Just another example of how Snyder does something to otherwise normal peoples' brains.

All the snarking and wisecracking and the hair, and his Tom Waits theme song

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wouldn't that just make him a riff on Tony Stark?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It became a whole Narrative about a villain being a crazy guy being obviously the Joker. It's very 'guy who has only seen Boss Baby'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wouldn't that just make him a riff on Tony Stark?

No, Tony Stark's theme songs were ACDC

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Barring "Purple Lamborghini", the Joker doesn't have a theme song, nor is he snarky.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Barring "Purple Lamborghini", the Joker doesn't have a theme song, nor is he snarky.

The Joker absolutely has a theme song in BTAS, he even whistles along to it sometimes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Professional movie critics are people who are paid to have an opinion on movies, and a lot of them get paid for their bad opinions on movies, and a subset of them get paid to have specific bad opinions on movies.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I still think the eisenberg performance was the big sticking point for a certain kind of nerd, the kind who posts on r/humanityfuckyeah, one that grew up with superman TAS and was so invested in the image of Lex as a big imposing powerful figure who seemed cool and could maybe be seen in a positive and morally justified light if you squinted and ignored the subtext. Beavis Lex being unambiguously a cringe loser ruined their fantasy of being able to say Luthor was actually the good guy and Superman was just some childish fantasy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Everyone expects/wants superheroes and villains to represent their good or bad dads, snyder gave them lost children and good moms.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

What made the casting visionary was making that type of character a powerful billionaire.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
We've located the Snyder/Batfleck Fans in Russia

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I still think the eisenberg performance was the big sticking point for a certain kind of nerd, the kind who posts on r/humanityfuckyeah, one that grew up with superman TAS and was so invested in the image of Lex as a big imposing powerful figure who seemed cool and could maybe be seen in a positive and morally justified light if you squinted and ignored the subtext.
I mean let's face it, the DCAU did have Lex save the day from both Ultra Amazo and Darkseid, so Lex fans were eating good back then.

Also the DCAU gave us black Lex, which no adaptation has since.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's also several notches more pathetic than his portrayal of Zuck. His Zuck is a calm, cool, collected dude who dominates every room he's in. He's only awkward in the sense that he doesn't indulge in social niceties. Meanwhile, his Luthor is genuinely pathetic and can't even get through his own monologues without falling apart. His Luthor is actually more like the real Zuck than his Zuck was.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snowman_McK posted:

He's also several notches more pathetic than his portrayal of Zuck. His Zuck is a calm, cool, collected dude who dominates every room he's in. He's only awkward in the sense that he doesn't indulge in social niceties. Meanwhile, his Luthor is genuinely pathetic and can't even get through his own monologues without falling apart. His Luthor is actually more like the real Zuck than his Zuck was.
BvS Lex was Elon Musk before it was widely known how sad and pathetic Elon actually was.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1665222486915522564

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
yeah, I feel like the nerdy techbro sheen hadn't fallen off yet when BvS had come out, it hadn't become mainstream to openly mock them like it is now

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Assepoester posted:

BvS Lex was Elon Musk before it was widely known how sad and pathetic Elon actually was.

Oh I’m sure Elon’s stans would totally know about a female led fantasy comic from the 1980’s.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Snyder talking about how he came to cast Eisenberg was the best, he straight up said to an interviewer "we talked to him about playing Jimmy Olsen but he's such a wacko I decided to cast him as Lex"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Assepoester posted:

It continues to amaze me just how completely Grimes leaving him for a trans woman absolutely broke Elon's brain.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It also directly led to elon making a 420 joke about buying twitter which, unfortunately for all of is, apparently was legally binding

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, I feel like the nerdy techbro sheen hadn't fallen off yet when BvS had come out, it hadn't become mainstream to openly mock them like it is now

I'm reminded how the techbro villain from the DuckTales reboot was gonna be Mark Duckerberg. Boy, did they have amazing timing for that, they got to take the piss out of drat near every techbro stereotype right as it was current.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wake up, new details dropping

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1666069807341400065?t=vBnQ1iytuUAaB5IkuIxyPQ&s=19

I love everything about this. The characters all look amazing, the story sounds interesting and you know it's going to have that Snyder flair

Cant wait for December

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn’t it going to be rated r, that’s gonna be fun if so

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

It also directly led to elon making a 420 joke about buying twitter which, unfortunately for all of is, apparently was legally binding

That's only unfortunate because he's managed to keep the drat thing on life support instead of killing it.

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1666069807341400065?t=vBnQ1iytuUAaB5IkuIxyPQ&s=19

I love everything about this. The characters all look amazing, the story sounds interesting and you know it's going to have that Snyder flair

Cant wait for December

lol, Sofia Boutella in a field of wheat is gonna be catnip to the haters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Isn’t it going to be rated r, that’s gonna be fun if so

In classic Zack fashion, they’re releasing the ”normal” version first, and later the R-rated version

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Zack loves various cuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

In classic Zack fashion, they’re releasing the ”normal” version first, and later the R-rated version

That’s stupid. It’s Netflix

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man of Steel and Legend of the Guardians never got director's cuts. I wonder why.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Another member with an axe to grind actually wields two flaming swords. South Korean actor Doona Bae plays Nemesis, a swordmaster who is partly mechanical. “These swords are powered by the gauntlets that she holds. The gauntlets are these ancient [artifacts] from her home world, and part of the rite of passage of being a warrior in her world is you have to cut your arm off, and then you put these kind of robot arms on. That allows you to wield these molten-metal blades,” Snyder says.

She inhabits a mining world that’s ruled by the Imperium, which extracts everything useful while leaving little for the planet’s inhabitants. “Nemesis is able to navigate the alleys and nooks and crannies, and she’s been sort of protecting the exploited workers of that world,”

:O

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McCloud posted:

Cant wait for December

"Firefly, except good" appears to be the concept.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1666088743487549441?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lol Netflix getting ahead of the 'release the Snyder Cut' calls early

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Full penetration cut.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

checkplease posted:

Full penetration cut.

Dolph Lundgren confirmed

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

Full penetration cut.

Dammit this was my post

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This part from the article is wild and really sticks out to me:

quote:

Snyder’s wife and longtime producing partner Deborah Snyder told Vanity Fair, “[Netflix film chairman Scott] Stuber was like, ‘On the service, under-two-hour movies really do better for some reason,’ even though you’ll binge-watch a series of eight episodes. Zack said, ‘If you ask me to make this less than two hours, I’m going to lose all the character. You won’t care about these people. It’s a character story about how people can change, and redemption, and what are you willing to fight for…’ So he said, ‘What if I give you two movies?’”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sci fi Seven Samurai? Zachy baby please don't screw this up. PLEASE!!!!

edit: I just saw that there's eight warriors. That about sums it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sci fi Seven Samurai? Zachy baby please don't screw this up. PLEASE!!!!

edit: I just saw that there's eight warriors. That about sums it up.

Ah, so a sequel to Seven Samurai.