Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Wool (Silo #1) by Hugh Howey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SY4GSD/

The River of Silver (Daevabad) by SA Chakraborty - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q3FTXN4/

Heroes Die (Acts of Caine #1) by Matthew Woodring Stover - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MYA38W/

Under Heaven (#1) by Guy Gavriel Kay - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NX7NEM/

Age of Ash (Kithamar #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0976XDNF2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm reading Hyperion for the first time and the melatonin I take to help me sleep also happens to give me really intense dreams, which right now happen to make me feel like I am constantly being stalked by the Shrike. 10/10 would recommend.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's unfortunate 9/11 broke dan simmon's brain, Ilium/Olympos were bad

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Terror was still pretty good, though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

thankfully, tying 9/11 to a 1800s Artic expedition was beyond him

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Edit: any suggestions on where to start with Mercedes Lackey? This is a lot of books...

If I recall correctly, all of Lackey's work in Valdemar is fairly self-contained in series arcs, so as long as you read a series in order you shouldn't get too muddled. Arrows of the Queen/Arrow's Flight/Arrow's Fall is the canonical start, though that trilogy is a little less well integrated into the rest of the series just from being the first entries being written; I'd personally suggest The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy (Magic's Pawn/Promise/Price) if you ended up picking up that bundle, since I think you'd be interested in the Vanyel (and later, Stefan) character interactions in those books from what I recall from your posting.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What’s the word on the lengthy cli-fi book The Deluge by Stephen Markleu?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

thankfully, tying 9/11 to a 1800s Artic expedition was beyond him
It's still got Evil Gays.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

I keep hearing about this book so I’ll give it a try

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Ccs posted:

It’s wild, like Conan through a layer of 90s cyberpunk irony (in a good way?). Glad I read it though. The sequel is extremely unpleasant.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

pradmer posted:

Wool (Silo #1) by Hugh Howey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SY4GSD/

The River of Silver (Daevabad) by SA Chakraborty - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q3FTXN4/

Under Heaven (#1) by Guy Gavriel Kay - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NX7NEM/

Under Heaven is very good; the sample is enough to grab you, for those interested. One of Kay’s top novels imo.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Ccs posted:

It's an interesting book, one of my favorites, though I haven't read it in a few years. His few Star Wars books in the NJO era were really good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ccs posted:

This series transed me im a dude now

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

It's still got Evil Gays.

Be fair, it has a Good Gay too.

You can tell he's Good because he refrains from doing Gay Stuff.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
One of the nice things about the Terror show was how they turned that Evil Gay into one of the more compelling characters while still having him be a horrible little man

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

PlushCow posted:

Under Heaven is very good; the sample is enough to grab you, for those interested. One of Kay’s top novels imo.

Can we please not quote the advertisement bot? Ignoring the account who just posts links to books and prices is a great solution to inline advertisement without being grouchy about it but it doesn’t work if people quote him. Just plug whatever book you like without the quote.

I think Waybound mostly stuck the landing. It also had some interesting ideas of its own. If you’ve been living under a rock, or you don’t like to start series till they are finished, Cradle is good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Anias posted:

Can we please not quote the advertisement bot? Ignoring the account who just posts links to books and prices is a great solution to inline advertisement without being grouchy about it but it doesn’t work if people quote him. Just plug whatever book you like without the quote.

Pradmer is a real dude though

e: right?? Going through their post history was a bit of an 'all work and no play makes jack a dull boy' experience

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Anias posted:

I think Waybound mostly stuck the landing. It also had some interesting ideas of its own. If you’ve been living under a rock, or you don’t like to start series till they are finished, Cradle is good.

He’s not a bot and he’s repeatedly asked the thread if he should post book sales, which people in the thread have frequently and enthusiastically approved. They also often lead to good discussions. I don’t even think they’re even affiliate links.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

pradmer is good and a real person and as mentioned when older books pop up on sale people ask about them and the thread talks about them, often books I would never have bothered to find out about otherwise

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Great. Sincerely, my apologies to prad. I will still have their account on ignore because just like people enjoy those sale posts, I do not, and ignoring them was a see less solution that didn’t require even this much disruption. It simply makes the thread much easier to read while allowing the people who want to read them to still see them. I don’t need them to stop posting, and in fact if they post something more topical than book name: price, please quote it when you respond. My only ask is that if we are going to have sale dumps in thread we avoid quoting them.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

no

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
People quote them to comment about them, recommend them, etc, and I don't see how that's not the type of content you'd want to have here, in the thread about certain genres of fiction in The Book Barn, the forum for talking about and/or recommending books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think that's a pretty unreasonable request. I love seeing the posts, and the discussions around some of the books is great.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pradmer is doing a great service to this thread and is directly responsible for me being able to buy almost everything Lem ever wrote for under three euros per book. Thanks Prad!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I finished Neuromancer for my book club. What a weird prose style. The stream of consciousness is nuts. Who's Gibson trying ape there?

Next book up is:

Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy Book 1) - by Tade Thompson - $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewater-Wormwood-Trilogy-Tade-Thompson/dp/0316449059/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1683299189&sr=1-1

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and it's like the anti-Neuromancer. The setting is bonkers (what if alien-zombie-psychics-Nigeria) but the prose is so relaxing and thorough that it seems very digestible. Would recommend so far.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I like Kindle deals, but I find their website and even their emails pretty annoying to deal with.

eg., although I'm signed up for SF/F deals they still include random Janet Evanovich novels in their email digest. And even books that are ostensibly fantasy are often in a subgenre I am not at all interested in. Or it'll be a book you've never heard of before with a generic cover art and the worst blurb you've ever read, and it somehow has thousands of 5 star reviews and Amazon keeps wanting to show it to you

all this to say I very much appreciate pradmer's posts and it is an unexpected joy when people quote him and add their opinions, because that kind of straightforward recommendation (or discouragement) is something that is extremely hard to get online

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Pradmer is doing a great service to this thread and is directly responsible for me being able to buy almost everything Lem ever wrote for under three euros per book. Thanks Prad!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

tokenbrownguy posted:

I finished Neuromancer for my book club. What a weird prose style. The stream of consciousness is nuts. Who's Gibson trying ape there?

Next book up is:

Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy Book 1) - by Tade Thompson - $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewater-Wormwood-Trilogy-Tade-Thompson/dp/0316449059/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1683299189&sr=1-1

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and it's like the anti-Neuromancer. The setting is bonkers (what if alien-zombie-psychics-Nigeria) but the prose is so relaxing and thorough that it seems very digestible. Would recommend so far.

Seconding this recommendation. I just finished all three and they were a worthwhile read

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

WarpDogs posted:

I like Kindle deals, but I find their website and even their emails pretty annoying to deal with.

I went through a period where I was checking several sites a day for ebook deals but it just turned out the most efficient way was adding a bunch of books to a wishlist and checking that every day as when they drop in price from when it was added to the list you can see it. It still sucks and requires active participation but the best focused way i found (most books are ones mentioned in this thread at some point in the past few years)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just ask your library for the books, it’s free.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI there's a new Ann Leckie Imperial Radch book out, Translation State

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

pradmer posted:

I read this a while back. I really enjoyed Abraham's Long Price series, but was lukewarm on Dagger and Coin. I wanted to like Age of Ash, but I just didn't. It has an interesting conceit, and could have gone in interesting directions, but one of the main characters story lines was just not what I was interested in. I doubt I'll end up reading the sequel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stuporstar posted:

Seconding this recommendation. I just finished all three and they were a worthwhile read
I liked the first one, so you think I'd like the other two as well?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think my favorite dated anachronism from reading old scifi is 21st Century Soviet Union.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

People have the weirdest hang ups in this forum sometimes, how hard is it to scroll past a post lmao

Anyway, just finished the dispossessed - loved it, but didn't feel much closure with the ending. I wish we'd have gotten a direct sequel to it.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I salute anyone who saves me money, so I agree. Ty prad for doing the work of finding these deals, because I definitely could not

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah I really appreciate the deals; they remind me of cool stories to make recs about

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

yeah I really appreciate the deals; they remind me of cool stories to make recs about

Cowards use the ignore function. Heroes use a scroll wheel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The ignore function is fine. I imagine it improves people's enjoyment of my posting immensely. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I liked the first one, so you think I'd like the other two as well?

I think so. They’re a solid continuation of the first book that tie up the story definitively. I read the other two a year after the first, and there were a lot of details to remember because it builds on all the characters and situations already established. It definitely goes places (I don’t want to spoil in what way)

pseudorandom name posted:

Just ask your library for the books, it’s free.

I do this, but I browse the kindle sales to see if anything piques my interest enough to put on hold at the library. If an ebook seems like one my library will never bother to pick up, for whatever reason, I’ll buy it though