Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Official is out now:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-224/chapter/39095

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016618

I am awaiting the domain expansion clash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mainly just fighting, but it's so far a fun fight.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Sukuna really likes his cooking analogies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Sukuna really likes his cooking analogies.

Well he is heavily themed around cannibalism, his two slashing abilities use the kanji for cutting and filleting fish, his Domain is a shrine littered with bones with large gaping maws, and the kanji in the name give it an alternate name as the Demon's Kitchen Storage.

So yes Sukuna likes cooking analogies.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
On this episode of Iron Chef...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Would Sukuna and the Falling Devil be friends?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Would Sukuna and the Falling Devil be friends?

Possibly, the reason Sukuna hangs out with Urame is because they know how to cook humans right.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've pretty much lost interest in JJK, which is weird because it's one of my favorites and Gege is 100% goated, but it feels a lot more like someone making action figures hit each other than it ever has and I totally get that some people like that? But whatever JJK was just feels gone somehow. Like, you can feel the passion exiting the building in real time (which probably means it was gone a while ago) :shrug:

Last time I'll mention it but drat dude. I'm not even mad I'm just disinterested which is almost worse. I wonder if they'll keep on like this with constantly skipping weeks and generally making it clear that they're very meh on the whole thing, or if they'll pick up and power through to some probably underwhelming and rushed ending.

Something I think about a lot in manga is, I wish it was normalized for projects to go on when the author loses steam. Gege really didn't have to do JJK dirty like this, he has other people working on the project; just take a back seat and be the "ideas guy" and let other people on your team take over the day to day while you remain the creative lead.

The whole structure was there for a much longer and involved project that would have really benefited from taking it slow too. Which doesn't mean it has to be slow, the dude can do whatever he wants obviously, but drat if you're going to close out a project like this at least make it good, even if they move to a schedule of one chapter per month but retained the quality, that would be preferable imo.

Taima fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 6, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Skipping weeks is cool frankly

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, let the mangaka rest, their working schedule is inhuman. Everyone should get the Oda treatment, at the very least.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I say work em til they drop

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gege's health is kind of poor as I recall, dude can take all the rest he needs.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I say work em til they drop

Same

As long as “Em” being the chapter and “drop” is when the issue is released

Let them cook the issues for as long as it takes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let them play that one video game that seemingly every mangaka has that they're hopelessly addicted to.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I think Gege sacrificed too much to tell the story he wanted to tell. I appreciate that he wanted a tight and compact story and I get that a lot of characters and ideas were introduced but not explained or further elaborated on for world building purposes, but slowing down a bit and letting things breath would've made a lot of things more impactful.

For example, the Culling Games is supposed to be this huge deathmatch battle royale happening throughout a post-apocalyptic-like Japan, but I only have a faint impression of that since most of the fighting wasn't shown. We only have a handful of incarnated sorcerors and they barely have any screentime. I get that powerful sorcerers are extremely rare but c'mon, you can't tell me adding an extra scene or two of Kashimo shooting holes through wanna-be hotshots (like Kastro vs Hisoka or something) wouldn't have made Hakari's victory more impressive. We're only really shown the aftermath of the Culling Games when everyone's dead and the military comes in to clean up the rest. Same with the slaughter of the higher-ups, I understand that they're bad guys who have had an immensely negative effect on the world but without a personal connection or anything, as a reader, who cares.

But don't get me wrong, I love all the fights, the battle system, and the world Gege created, I just wish he showed more of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, let the mangaka rest, their working schedule is inhuman. Everyone should get the Oda treatment, at the very least.

The problem is convincing the mangaka of that. In case you forgot, Gege's last big break came after months of Jump's editors calling him up to say "Hey, dude. You can take a break! We're cool with that! Just do what you need."

"No, I'm fine."

"Not as fine as you would be with a break, hint, hint."

And then he eventually had to write a note in Jump about how, yep. Guess he did need that break!

As shown most obviously with Murata, a lot of mangaka are workaholics. You kind of have to be to try for the weekly gig. And some of them can even pull it off! (Toriyama famously had a ton of little tricks to keep his life in order despite doing a weekly for so long. It's one of the things that he's legendary for among mangaka.)

It's just that, even in the best case, when things start to spiral, they can really spiral.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's honestly amazing how Mishima manages to do what he does.

Man's working on like 2 manga simultaneously right now, and apparently he's starting up a 3rd one?

https://japan.postsen.com/live-styl...RICON-NEWS.html

quote:

ORICON NEWS previously asked Mr. Mashima, who has left numerous legends, in an interview, “How do you secure sleep, which is a concern for many fans?” I get about 7 hours of sleep every day (laughs), and I only play games 2-3 hours before going to bed. There are days when I play all day long, so I enjoy my gaming life.”

And man still had time to get a healthy sleeping schedule and get in some gaming time.

EDIT: And has his own YouTube channel, Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/@mashimaCh

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's honestly amazing how Mishima manages to do what he does.

Man's working on like 2 manga simultaneously right now, and apparently he's starting up a 3rd one?

https://japan.postsen.com/live-styl...RICON-NEWS.html

And man still had time to get a healthy sleeping schedule and get in some gaming time.

EDIT: And has his own YouTube channel, Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/@mashimaCh

It must be nice to have access to the hypersonic lion tamer for when things need to get done on schedule.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I really want to know which 6 chapters of Fairy Tail he drew in two weeks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Some mangaka like toriyama and mashima just have a very efficient workflow and tolerance for errors/good enough work. And some are obsessive perfectionists (either by personal tendency or from the constant pressure), delegating basically nothing to their assistants and do almost everything themselves and work themselves into an early grave.

Is it a surprise that the two both have limited themselves to small pool of character designs

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 7, 2023

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Now I really want to know which 6 chapters of Fairy Tail he drew in two weeks.

quote:

Dude's output is crazy. He once released 6 full chapters of FT in two weeks, 338-343, plus he had a special chapter in that span too so it was like 150 pages total. And apparently he just did it because he had a backlog so why not?

The fact that he has a seemingly better work life balance than a lot of other mangaka on top of that is genuinely superhuman. Granted, the actual quality of his work is a little... ya know, but even drawing complete nonsense that quickly would be pretty impressive.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yum posted:

We're only really shown the aftermath of the Culling Games when everyone's dead and the military comes in to clean up the rest.

What even happened with this anyway

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The guy with the propeller for a hairdo died I think and not much else of consequence.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i think the military was just meant to convey the scale kenjaku was working on, My Hero kinda did a similar thing by bringing in the US military to have shiggy wipe the floor with.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Heaps of soldiers from multiple countries got sent to the colonies, they either killed or captured low grade sorcerers or got killed by cursed spirits. Upon their death, because they died via cursed spirits, they also contribute to the total of curse energy Kenjaku needs for merger. this was done because there aren't enough sorcerers to generate the kind of output he needs, especially in the colonies with fewer sorcerers.

As of this time, this appears to have been achieved, except in Yuji's colony where they managed to save some of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another thing about Gege that’s good to remember is that he is pretty young. Like he is early 20s at most from what I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another thing about Gege that’s good to remember is that he is pretty young. Like he is early 20s at most from what I know.

But how old is that in manga author year? 50?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

31. Older than Fujimoto. Still young, but not that young.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

31. Older than Fujimoto. Still young, but not that young.

Ahh this is me forgetting how old I am. I just remember him in an interviewer refrencing stuff that came out when he was a kid, that came out when I was young too. But the guy is only a year and a bit older than me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7398/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-225

Welp

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ending aside, Miwa spraying Kusakabe in the face was funny. Here's hoping Gojo has a HOWEVER tucked up his sleeve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nice to see lawyer guy there.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Comic owns gently caress the haters. This chapter felt like it was something that would have happened in HunterxHunter

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Theyre 1-1 now unless Gojo is immediately atomized here

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I mean, Gojo has survived being stabbed in the brain with a weapon that negates his defenses.. so yeah.. I guess we'll see next week. :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Oh no! Historically, Gojo is totally vulnerable to having his neck sliced open. It's definitely not something we've seen him recover from before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, is the implication here that Sukuna was able to attack from "outside" the domain due to the way his domain doesn't need a barrier/enclosure?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, is the implication here that Sukuna was able to attack from "outside" the domain due to the way his domain doesn't need a barrier/enclosure?

Sukuna’s domain extends past the border of Gojo’s and destroyed it from the outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Gojo next chapter:

and e3 guys reference on page 1 lol: