Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Dave posted:

My Mac Teams has no issues?
My Mac teams broke for like two weeks until they got another update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1665756711867621376

This is so theranos-like.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's why Microsoft is so keen on the tech and want to slap it into everything at a loss. Will require every other company to follow to compete and they gotta run that AI somewhere!

Azure is about 40% of their business atm, it's going to be probably 70% soon.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 6, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StratGoatCom posted:

This is so theranos-like.

It sounds extremely Bitcoin to me, actually. I don't think it's a coincidence that the entire techbro hype men population shifted to "AI" immediately.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Antigravitas posted:

It sounds extremely Bitcoin to me, actually. I don't think it's a coincidence that the entire techbro hype men population shifted to "AI" immediately.
I think they shifted to AI because it's a complicated topic that a lot of people don't fully understand so it's really easy to be supervague and drop all sorts of buzzwords so as to appear competent.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Are they really running the AI's on graphics cards still, as the article mentions ? Isn't it hugely inefficient to do it like this ?

Why don't they custom-build cpu's for that by now, that don't come with the overhead of being designed for something completely different ?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
GPUs are good for more than just graphics; by their nature they're good for parallel processing (CPUs are better for sequential, generally) and while dedicated chips will be better due to specialization, they take time to develop and tend to be hyper-focused on a single task. Bitcoin (etc.) mining saw a progression of running on CPUs, then being optimized for GPUs, then having dedicated FPGA/ASIC machines developed. When a technology is young and/or not something you'd commit to a unitasker for, running it on a CPU/GPU (depending on how beneficial parallelization is and some other factors) can make sense.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

GPUs are good for more than just graphics; by their nature they're good for parallel processing (CPUs are better for sequential, generally) and while dedicated chips will be better due to specialization, they take time to develop and tend to be hyper-focused on a single task. Bitcoin (etc.) mining saw a progression of running on CPUs, then being optimized for GPUs, then having dedicated FPGA/ASIC machines developed. When a technology is young and/or not something you'd commit to a unitasker for, running it on a CPU/GPU (depending on how beneficial parallelization is and some other factors) can make sense.

Apparently nvidia is one of the most valuable companies on earth now because their cuda cards are the best for ai poo poo

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
wuda cuda shuda

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also, a lot of AI stuff still fundamentally boils down to vectors in one fashion or another, and GPUs are generally very good at handling vector math.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Surprised I'm first on posting https://youtu.be/TX9qSaGXFyg, the Apple Vision Pro.

Price point is insane.

VR has so many inherent problems.

It's a neat trick, with an annoying interface. Like, I had a Google Cardboard. It was funky. But I'm not looking at my photos on it, and I'm certainly not paying 2 months mortgage for one.

It's isolating. They make a big fuss about watching movies on it, but...I watch movies with my wife, family and friends? What, are we all going to be wearing one? And looking at 3d photos of my family...who am I, Deckard?

The whole tech around putting your eyes on the front to not creep people out, is creepy. Giving you a Deepfake avatar when you make calls on it, is creepy.

Speaking of calls, video call tech now is...kind of fine? I've never been on a call with my boss and thought, yeah, this is fine, but I wish he was a massive floating head taking up most of my living room 😆

Back to the interface: this will never have the uptake of the iPhone or even the iPad. Teaching my parents a touchscreen or the Wii wasn't too bad. Teaching them to blink and pinch and poke the air, when I can't see the screen to help them through it? Forget it.

Ironically, I think the ideal market for this, is someone living in a lovely box apartment with no $$$ to go anywhere or do anything. Someone who wants to escape reality. But if you've got $3500 to burn on tech, your reality is probably good enough that you don't want to escape it.

Showing how it connects to your MacBook cracked me up. Their batteries suck, so I'm sure this one will as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it needed an always-on internet connection.

Looks better than most VR goggles, but I just can't see it being a success. I know the price will come down, but I just don't see it being profitable.

What do you all think? Is this thing set up to succeed or fail?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it's a 1st gen apple product, which like all 1st gen apple products is going to suck in more ways than one. But that's fine because the target audience is for the developers and people who can spend $3500 on a toy (or get someone else to spend it for them via expense). It's almost certain that the 2nd gen version is going to be cheaper and more capable.

That said, the tech as given is pretty drat impressive. That's not to say anything about the usability of it or practicality, but the tech specs themselves are pretty insane IMO. (Though as we all know, Apple doesn't compete on tech specs alone, but on the whole package).

A refined 2nd+ gen version is still going to be expensive as gently caress and out of reach for a majority of people. So what though?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WaPo posted:

“GPUs at this point are considerably harder to get than drugs,” Elon Musk, who recently purchased some 10,000 GPUs for his own AI start-up, told a May 23 Wall Street Journal summit.

:thunkgun:

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 6, 2023

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Mourning Due posted:

I think it looks pretty neat. I'm interested in navigating by eye. I got chronic pain issues and using a computer or phone cause me pain. So being able to navigate with my eyes would be great if it works.

Also it being AR and not VR is interesting if it really looks like they show.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Antigravitas posted:

The arguable difference here is that the work product isn't a useless math problem, but instead Python code, summarized documents, or a generated image. I bought a very nice Nvida GPU to play with all of the local projects that are available now and don't regret it.

Also, RE elon's tweet about GPUs, it's significantly easier to get a GPU right now than it was 3 years ago. It took me nearly a year to get my hands on an RTX 3080. I was able to buy a 4090 when I decided I wanted one.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 6, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah he's just trying to sound edgy because *gasp* he said drugs!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fundamentally the Apple VR shares the same problem as all others do: There's not really anything to use them for yet. Meta is still trying to go all-in on some sort of virtual workspace thing, and is learning the hard way that nobody wants that. Others go mostly for games, which works but is still fairly niche, and something where Apple falls down out of the gate what with not even having controllers. Just about everything they've shown boils down to "things you can already do, but now with an uncomfortable piece of poo poo strapped to your face and a worse interface". Office work you can do better with a traditional screen or three, online meetings you can do better with a webcam. It has neither the convenience of something like a smart phone or watch, nor does it yet offer much of anything unique you'd genuinely need or want it for.

If they want it for AR stuff and spontaneous use like a wearable, it'd need to be drastically more lightweight with a simpler form-factor. For a full-immersion VR system, it just plain lacks a core use-case.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 6, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Was there some situation like this with TVs (or color TVs) where buying them wasn't appealing because there wasn't a lot of content for them and making content for them wasn't appealing because there weren't a lot of people buying them?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Antigravitas posted:

AI can actually become useful (probably), which is more than can be said about cryptocurrency or NFTs.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
How are the goggles reading your hand so reliably? The use case presented puts your hand way out of your field of vision. Also wondering just how much detail it needs to figure out about your room to simulate acoustics, and how. Is it enough to just assume that everyone has ikea furniture and reduce everything to cubes? What happens if you're outside?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

What happens if you're outside?

I hear they've spent quite a while on the filter to digitally remove everyone mocking you. It will be like your peacefully wandering through the start of 28 days later.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There are dedicated cameras along the bottom of the goggles that track your hand and finger movements. Supposedly it’s based on the “true depth” system Apple uses for FaceID so it’s capable of measuring tiny changes and, well, depth. People who have demo’d the unit say that they can just rest their hands on the lap or hover them in the air as they please and don’t need to awkwardly hold up their hands in a specific position to get them to register.

People who have demoed the unit also say that the resolution on the screens are good enough that you can actually read documents and poo poo without straining your eyes. Apparently all the current offerings just aren’t there yet in terms of resolution so reading text is painful.

Also the eye controls are supposedly extremely good. You can look at individual elements in a menu and it automagically focuses on it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm certainly not in the market for VR anything but I could see it being amazing for assistive tech when the price comes down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mourning Due posted:

Surprised I'm first on posting https://youtu.be/TX9qSaGXFyg, the Apple Vision Pro.

Price point is insane.

VR has so many inherent problems.

It's a neat trick, with an annoying interface. Like, I had a Google Cardboard. It was funky. But I'm not looking at my photos on it, and I'm certainly not paying 2 months mortgage for one.

It's isolating. They make a big fuss about watching movies on it, but...I watch movies with my wife, family and friends? What, are we all going to be wearing one? And looking at 3d photos of my family...who am I, Deckard?

The whole tech around putting your eyes on the front to not creep people out, is creepy. Giving you a Deepfake avatar when you make calls on it, is creepy.

Speaking of calls, video call tech now is...kind of fine? I've never been on a call with my boss and thought, yeah, this is fine, but I wish he was a massive floating head taking up most of my living room 😆

Back to the interface: this will never have the uptake of the iPhone or even the iPad. Teaching my parents a touchscreen or the Wii wasn't too bad. Teaching them to blink and pinch and poke the air, when I can't see the screen to help them through it? Forget it.

Ironically, I think the ideal market for this, is someone living in a lovely box apartment with no $$$ to go anywhere or do anything. Someone who wants to escape reality. But if you've got $3500 to burn on tech, your reality is probably good enough that you don't want to escape it.

Showing how it connects to your MacBook cracked me up. Their batteries suck, so I'm sure this one will as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it needed an always-on internet connection.

Looks better than most VR goggles, but I just can't see it being a success. I know the price will come down, but I just don't see it being profitable.

VR goggles haven't really caught on in the last 40 years, selling them for ten times as much ($1,000 Apple exclusivity tax included) isn't going to change that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also the people who have demoed it have been impressed with the pass through display. The custom chips they added makes it look like you’re actually looking through the lenses and seeing the room, even though it’s 100% digital.

It’s ok to slow down and read about the tech and be impressed by it guys, even if they look goofy and expensive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it looks amazing and the potential to use this to replace flight simulators costing six figures or more for training use is pretty exciting. The current issue with VR tech for that use is that you can't interact with the aircraft panel, and this AR system will be able to bridge that gap, I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

I think it looks amazing and the potential to use this to replace flight simulators costing six figures or more for training use is pretty exciting. The current issue with VR tech for that use is that you can't interact with the aircraft panel, and this AR system will be able to bridge that gap, I think.

I don't really get why that solves the problem. You'd still have to build most of the cockpit's internals to get the various switches and other controllables in the right place. What are you saving, a coat of paint?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also the people who have demoed it have been impressed with the pass through display. The custom chips they added makes it look like you’re actually looking through the lenses and seeing the room, even though it’s 100% digital.

It’s ok to slow down and read about the tech and be impressed by it guys, even if they look goofy and expensive.

Who has demoed it, tech journalists currently in Apple's good graces?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

A refined 2nd+ gen version is still going to be expensive as gently caress and out of reach for a majority of people. So what though?

The reason iPhones revolutionized society is because everyone already had a phone and it was way better. As ever, weirdo goggles that replicate the user experience of a top-of-the-line television BUT ON YO HEAD [citation needed] and for an extra $1,000 are an answer in search of a problem. Even if it revolutionized flight simulator training, that's not why this device is going to be successful. As Mourning Due mentions, it's marketed as a toy for techbros in California who despite their wealth can't afford to live outside of a shoebox due to housing conditions.

No one outside of boutique techbro outfits are going to use this for business meetings, either. That remains an utterly asinine selling point on these things generally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't really get why that solves the problem. You'd still have to build most of the cockpit's internals to get the various switches and other controllables in the right place. What are you saving, a coat of paint?

It depends how good the hand-tracking is. If it's very good, you could just have it "appear" in front of you. Worst-case scenario: a board of switches is not very expensive at all if the goggles know where to simulate the other bits.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The year of the Linux desktop will happen before VR takes off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Was there some situation like this with TVs (or color TVs) where buying them wasn't appealing because there wasn't a lot of content for them and making content for them wasn't appealing because there weren't a lot of people buying them?

Is 3D TV not technically dead yet?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

Is 3D TV not technically dead yet?
The main reasons given were that 1) there was a lack of content. After a while you've seen pretty much all 3d films made in the last decade / the 80s / the 50s. And 2) people didn't want to sit together on the couch wearing those polarising glasses.

So I'm not sure why this would be better.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mourning Due posted:

But if you've got $3500 to burn on tech, your reality is probably good enough that you don't want to escape it.
:smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

It depends how good the hand-tracking is. If it's very good, you could just have it "appear" in front of you. Worst-case scenario: a board of switches is not very expensive at all if the goggles know where to simulate the other bits.

It doesn't matter how good the hand tracking is if it doesn't have haptics, for which a headset is irrelevant. "[A] board of switches" (the right board, that is, corresponding to the actual aircraft you're training for) and "the other bits" (electro-mechanical simulation of the aircraft systems and feeding them back to the pilot) are what make traditional flight sims expensive. There are already commercial computer sims without a lot of those and whatever they gain from having a headset with good tracking they can already get from existing technology that's an order of magnitude cheaper and actually proven.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I literally cannot use it because it doesn’t work with glasses, so I’m not going to be impressed by it no matter what it does.

You need to buy special prescription lens inserts for more $$$ and my prescription is bad enough I expect those would be difficult to find. I already need to wait multiple weeks for glasses when I get new ones.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 6, 2023

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It doesn't matter how good the hand tracking is if it doesn't have haptics, for which a headset is irrelevant. "[A] board of switches" (the right board, that is, corresponding to the actual aircraft you're training for) and "the other bits" (electro-mechanical simulation of the aircraft systems and feeding them back to the pilot) are what make traditional flight sims expensive. There are already commercial computer sims without a lot of those and whatever they gain from having a headset with good tracking they can already get from existing technology that's an order of magnitude cheaper and actually proven.

I can buy flight simulator controls for pretty cheap. With VR I can't see them, with AR I can. It would pretty immersive and cool. That's all anyone is saying

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Mega Comrade posted:

The year of the Linux desktop will happen before VR takes off.

It's here if you want it. I use Windows 10 on my desktop with WSL Ubuntu, but I also play a lot on Steam Deck. Diablo 4 was ready to go at launch and Blizzard doesn't officially support it. Proton, the translation layer, just works with very little fuss.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

And I'm not dealing with Clippy-gpt on my bloody desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Prism posted:

I literally cannot use it because it doesn’t work with glasses, so I’m not going to be impressed by it no matter what it does.

You need to buy special prescription lens inserts for more $$$ and my prescription is bad enough I expect those would be difficult to find. I already need to wait multiple weeks for glasses when I get new ones.

Use contacts or get lasik you poor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)