Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oda is taking a month-long sabbatical to meditate on the questions of the Big Hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The anime might be good this month you never know

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

hatty posted:

Isn't there a good chance that the anime will get to the Nika fruit reveal in this month? Unless, they stopped to do recap episodes, I guess

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

Isn't there a good chance that the anime will get to the Nika fruit reveal in this month? Unless, they stopped to do recap episodes, I guess

The Gorosei literally started talking about it towards the end of the most recent episode

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Big Mom bites it next episode based on the title

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

I think Big Mom bites it next episode based on the title

I forget but doesn’t that not happen until Gear 5 is introduced (and as of now Zunesha just appeared in front of the marines)?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Time for a month of fanart posts.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Larryb posted:

I forget but doesn’t that not happen until Gear 5 is introduced (and as of now Zunesha just appeared in front of the marines)?

Nah Big Mom takes a lava bath in ch. 1040 and Gear 5 is 1044. I’m not sure which chapter the Anime is on exactly though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He's finding a retcon that laboon is the actual one piece and his ambergris is the "one" devil fruit

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/eiichiro_staff/status/1665946757942099968?s=21&t=UUsUXHU9ZEL5HLNqmdPryQ

Apparently he’s taking a break for eye surgery

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1665951861877391361

english

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ODA: Now I'm seeing double - 24 cigarette packs!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oda next month:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

hatty posted:

Anime directors hearing this news and realizing they're going to have to slow their adaptation rate to 4 pages per episode

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

Think of it as preparing yourself for the final leg of the story. That way when Gin shows up in the final chapter you will remember who he is.

If goddamn Wapol can come back and be important, Gin should be allowed to come back

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Off the subject I’ll admit, Kaido’s drunken battle with Luffy in the latest anime episode was both well animated and pretty funny besides (also Zunesha has arrived meaning we’re very close to the anime debut of Gear 5)

Looking back at this part of the story, Kaido really wasn't much of a character at all was he? For a Big Time Emperor he had startlingly little effect on the overall ecology of the world and the tears at the seams are really starting to show.

We heard the stories about how brutal he was, but we as the audience never saw enough of it displayed outside of Wano. Actually I don't think we ever saw him exercise his force outside of Wano, aside from the micro-flashbacks of his and then crashing into an island from the sky that one time before chumping a bunch of Named Characters off screen that were written on-the-fly about a decade ago. Kaido didn't interact with the overarching plot enough and basically boiled down to an isolated threat divorced from the full scope of the saga.

I honestly expect Oda to just use him as 'guy who Rocks kept in check to show how REALLY strong he was' and since he's loving dead that's all we're ever gonna get. He was an excellent tour of force but an extremely disappointing character in general, feels like one of Oda's true missteps in his writing ability.

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 6, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trying count on my fingers the number of characters that impacted the "overall plot" and becoming increasingly worried about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Frantically chewing a pencil as I try to think whether Crocodile has impacted the grand plot of One Piece.

E: Anyway Kaidou was lame but I think that had little to do with him "impact on the overaching story of One Piece" or lack thereof.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 6, 2023

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kaido went to Wano and sat on his rear end to wait for Joyboy to kick his rear end.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frantically chewing a pencil as I try to think whether Crocodile has impacted the grand plot of One Piece.

E: Anyway Kaidou was lame but I think that had little to do with him "impact on the overaching story of One Piece" or lack thereof.

Nah

Kild posted:

Kaido went to Wano and sat on his rear end to wait for Joyboy to kick his rear end.

Pretty much!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kild posted:

Kaido believed super hard in Joyboy, he also knew he couldn't be Joyboy, so he decided he would be the mountain Joyboy has to conquer. Then nobody lived up to that mountain until Luffy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The only characters who matter to the main plot of one piece are luffy, shanks, blackbeard, and buggy.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
There is definitely a case of "show, don't tell" going on with Kaidou, likely due to the story taking place over decades and his design not being finalized yet, but if you take the manga at it's word:

-He tried to crash the Marineford war but was stopped by Shanks
-He was directly funding a massive criminal underworld to develop Devil Fruits, whose reach goes all the way back to Jaya and Bellamy
-That underworld was responsible for overthrowing entire kingdoms and taking over government labs/personnel/equipment, also had spies in pretty high government positions
-His stated goal of "Be, or get defeated by Joyboy" had him on a path of literally storming the world island by island until he took over everything or died, and was only barely stopped by the alliance

I'd say he had more of an effect on the world than any arc villians besides Big Mom, Doffy, and maybe CP9.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mfers can awaken the latent godhood in the main character and people will still claim they were irrelevant to the story...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please don’t go blond Oda

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LanceKing2200 posted:

-His stated goal of "Be, or get defeated by Joyboy" had him on a path of literally storming the world island by island until he took over everything or died, and was only barely stopped by the alliance
island by island? When was he going to stop parking his butt on wano?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Judging by the extremely objective scale of who I enjoyed seeing on the page more, Big Mom> Kaidou

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can't wait for Oda to sketch out the rest of One Piece with his new eye lasers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kaido took over an entire kingdom and had an army of hosed up chimera guys who dressed like Fist of the North Star goons, he might be lame in some ways relative to his peers but that is kind of an accomplishment.

…though not as much of one as Moria getting his giant rear end island boat up there. Can’t wait for Moria to have his whole Uncle Iroh arc in jail.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

island by island? When was he going to stop parking his butt on wano?
During his time in Wano he was still building up his forces with Doflamingo's smile fruit, and was also probably waiting for more Land of the Dead gas to be delivered. With Doflamingo gone he decided to pull the trigger and announced the start of his campaign during the Onigashima raid.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
But is Kaido more of a Hakiman or a Clubman? are Clubman under the same classification as Swordsmen and thus weaker than Midhawk?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

But is Kaido more of a Hakiman or a Clubman? are Clubman under the same classification as Swordsmen and thus weaker than Midhawk?

I think he's a Hakiman. I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt so shouldn't she or Shanks be the strongest swordsman? But I think the idea of being a "swordsman" is that you're actually using skill and technique to fight rather than just smashing everything with haki.*

*but really Mihawk and Zoro also kind of just do this lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nephthys posted:

I think he's a Hakiman. I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt so shouldn't she or Shanks be the strongest swordsman? But I think the idea of being a "swordsman" is that you're actually using skill and technique to fight rather than just smashing everything with haki.*

*but really Mihawk and Zoro also kind of just do this lol

Mihawk considers Shanks minus his dominant hand to no longer be a worthy rival. Assuming he cannot fight Emperors in a 1 on 1 Greates Swordsman challenge seems, ill-advised. Remember that Emperor status is about territory, not strictly combat prowess, and Mihawk holds zero territory regardless of his personal strength. He also isn't interested in fighting the Emperors and their Forces, but he clearly is somewhere on their level. The Marines were scared of Mihawk going solo the most, also the Mihawk Seraphim is clearly putting in a lot of work.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Nephthys posted:

I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt

mihawk was making GBS threads out sword beams that made diamond jozu have to deflect away from the moby dick

mihawk would beat big mom because he actually practices every day to keep the wss title while the latter is another frieza sitting on their rear end eating all day and throwing childish fits

thats why law and kidd kept landing free hits to pierce her impenetrable skin

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 6, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I know they talked about Big Mom's invincibility being due to Haki during the assassination attempt on Whole Cake Island, but do they ever say the same for Kaido? I assumed he was just some invincible freak of nature given that neither he nor the marines could work out how to kill him

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mihawk considers Shanks minus his dominant hand to no longer be a worthy rival. Assuming he cannot fight Emperors in a 1 on 1 Greates Swordsman challenge seems, ill-advised. Remember that Emperor status is about territory, not strictly combat prowess, and Mihawk holds zero territory regardless of his personal strength. He also isn't interested in fighting the Emperors and their Forces, but he clearly is somewhere on their level. The Marines were scared of Mihawk going solo the most, also the Mihawk Seraphim is clearly putting in a lot of work.

Mihawk also recently indicated that the idea of fighting Shanks, Blackbeard or Luffy is absurd. It's entirely possible that Mihawk doesn't want to fight Shanks because losing one arm diminishes his technique/skill, not that Shanks couldn't still beat him just through haki, speed and strength. Just like how Luffy or Garp could grab a sword and pound his face in with the pommel but wouldn't have defeated him as a swordsman.

It's possible that Mihawk is on par with Yonko's like Big Mom, Kaido, BB, Shanks and Luffy but he hasn't done anything that shows it so far imo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He hasn't but the sole purpose of the character is to be The World's Strongest Swordsman and Zoro's final challenge. I do think it's a storytelling failure that we haven't seen him actually demonstrate his abilities much but it wouldn't make any narrative sense if he's secretly weaker than foes Zoro has already defeated

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mihawk just considers dueling Shanks who has lost his dominant arm to be unfair. But Shanks has by Oda’s words grown stronger since his arm loss.

Also I don’t think Mihawk considered a fighting them individually to be frightening, he just considered taking all three of them and their forces on someone else’s behalf to be dumb.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I know they talked about Big Mom's invincibility being due to Haki during the assassination attempt on Whole Cake Island, but do they ever say the same for Kaido? I assumed he was just some invincible freak of nature given that neither he nor the marines could work out how to kill him

Kaido is just an impossible stamina and physical freak between Zoan Fruit and Oni species. The Dragon Zoan might make him exceptionally invulnerable because of mythical dragon scale stuff though.

Also Crocodile and Mihawk collectively make up the muscle for Buggy the Clowns emperor position, they do kind of have to be able to partially talk the talk and walk the walk. Mihawk genuinely just doesn't seem interested in anything but pure swordplay/dueling, so his angle could just as much be fighting 3 armies is a boring pain than anything else.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Mihawk also recently indicated that the idea of fighting Shanks, Blackbeard or Luffy is absurd. It's entirely possible that Mihawk doesn't want to fight Shanks because losing one arm diminishes his technique/skill, not that Shanks couldn't still beat him just through haki, speed and strength. Just like how Luffy or Garp could grab a sword and pound his face in with the pommel but wouldn't have defeated him as a swordsman.

It's possible that Mihawk is on par with Yonko's like Big Mom, Kaido, BB, Shanks and Luffy but he hasn't done anything that shows it so far imo.

It's one thing to go 1 v 1 with a yonko in a duel. It's another to start a fight with a yonko plus all of their subordinates. Not just their own crew/commanders and the armadas but also aligned nations and everything else, like it's a lot. Even Shanks who has a notoriously weak armada, has a very powerful crew and is allies with the giants and potentially other strong nations as well.

So starting a fight with three different major military organizations all at once is going to be a hassle to put it lightly. And someone like Milhawk probably just doesn't want to bother with that. It doesn't mean that individually he's weaker than the yonko themselves.