Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Looks like a telephone battery that's about to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dirt bike gear story and a question. Five weeks ago I fell off my bike during a very slow jump and had the bike fall on me, with the exhaust can hitting my calf, surrounded by Tek 3 boots. This was in very soft sand. My calf hurt immediately and I had some trouble walking. Packed up and left.
There was no bruising visible but some pretty good swelling. I hobbled for a couple of days.
I was back at 95% after a week but the swelling is just now - 5 weeks later - almost gone.
Reminder to wear gear all the time. This was a very slow fall in soft sand. It could have been worse.
This leads me to my two questions.
Should it have been that bad? Would a better boot have performed better?
Should I replace the boots? I know to do this with a helmet, not sure about these plastic boots.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Helmet arrived the other week, I have to go with a small / 55-56cm, the next size up is just a tad too loose for my liking. Means i have to put up with a few hotspots until the the foam breaks in a little.

Also grabbed a set a leathers with help from the RST guys at the TT granstand today, jacket and jeans are the S-1's, Tractech gloves. The gloves are kangaroo leather on the palms, so soft and comfortable.

In 14 years of riding I've never bothered with leather jeans before. They're a lot snugger than I expected! I'm sure they'll loosen up a little once I get them broken in.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with this admore light bar?

https://admorelighting.com/product-category/light-bars/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0dZL3Iq1c

Edit: Or the Admore handguard lights?

Vino fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 3, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pinny posted:

I'm sure they'll loosen up a little once I get them broken in.

Ehhh...

I bought some new boots with better ankle protection than my existing ones. Both Sidi, both the same size. The new ones are smaller, am I imagining it or are shoe sizes changing over time? I've had to go up a sise in running shoes recently too.

Sizing aside I don't like them as much as I thought I would.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You mention running shoes… running can have the effect of straightening out / lengthening your feet.

I was a 44 before I started running a decade ago, and had to switch all my shoes to 45/46 half a year in.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I finally found some replacement 3-season gauntlets that fit, if anyone's struggling with glove fitment between men's small and medium, give women's mediums a shot.

I ended up with Alpinestars Stella SP-8 V3's, they're about what I'd expect from a $100 glove, but I'd already exhausted all the brick and mortar stores within 2 hours and was running out of gloves to try off Amazon with free returns. They fit my finger lengths more or less perfectly with that slightly too-tight feeling that'll probably break in great. Wish they had some kangaroo in them though.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I was riding my drz to/from a cottage the other week, about 330 km each way, with gear in a buddy’s car, who took another more direct route, and the essentials in a backpack. That sucked, and I want to not rely on anyone else to carry my poo poo for a week away. I’m looking at soft, rackless saddlebags (Mosko reckless 80, giant loop, or similar) over soft or hard panniers. Likely doing mostly 80-100 km/h highway for distance, with fire roads, atv width trails, and maybe some actual trails if I feel like it along the way and at the destination. Am I on the wrong path with soft saddlebags?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I finally found some replacement 3-season gauntlets that fit, if anyone's struggling with glove fitment between men's small and medium, give women's mediums a shot.

I ended up with Alpinestars Stella SP-8 V3's, they're about what I'd expect from a $100 glove, but I'd already exhausted all the brick and mortar stores within 2 hours and was running out of gloves to try off Amazon with free returns. They fit my finger lengths more or less perfectly with that slightly too-tight feeling that'll probably break in great. Wish they had some kangaroo in them though.

I really like the pinky connected to ring finger on A* gloves. Looks like you don’t get a scaphoid slider until you spend another $70 for the Stella SP-1 v2.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Snapshot posted:

I was riding my drz to/from a cottage the other week, about 330 km each way, with gear in a buddy’s car, who took another more direct route, and the essentials in a backpack. That sucked, and I want to not rely on anyone else to carry my poo poo for a week away. I’m looking at soft, rackless saddlebags (Mosko reckless 80, giant loop, or similar) over soft or hard panniers. Likely doing mostly 80-100 km/h highway for distance, with fire roads, atv width trails, and maybe some actual trails if I feel like it along the way and at the destination. Am I on the wrong path with soft saddlebags?

I had soft saddle bags on a CBR600F a few years back, they worked very well. I think they were some Oxford ones so not very sexy but did the job OK.

Kriega soft bags are the bee's knees and they make some saddle bags for dirt bikes

https://kriega.com/adventure/os-base-dirtbike

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incredibly dumb question but the laces on one of my Dianese boots frayed and broke (this guy https://www.dainese.com/us/en/street-rocker-d-wp-shoes-201775174.html). Where the hell can I get replacements? Hopefully ones that won't be so poo poo. Looking on Amazon, I only see fat round laces for work boots, not flat ones.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

KillHour posted:

Incredibly dumb question but the laces on one of my Dianese boots frayed and broke (this guy https://www.dainese.com/us/en/street-rocker-d-wp-shoes-201775174.html). Where the hell can I get replacements? Hopefully ones that won't be so poo poo. Looking on Amazon, I only see fat round laces for work boots, not flat ones.

I recently had a similar problem, thought "this is bullshit I never want to buy shoelaces again," and bought these.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strife posted:

I recently had a similar problem, thought "this is bullshit I never want to buy shoelaces again," and bought these.

Nice. Thanks.

Edit: It's weird that they don't come in more colors. I would have liked to get white again. But as long as they don't fall apart after 2 years of casual / infrequent use like the last ones.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 6, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dirt bike gear story and a question. Five weeks ago I fell off my bike during a very slow jump and had the bike fall on me, with the exhaust can hitting my calf, surrounded by Tek 3 boots. This was in very soft sand. My calf hurt immediately and I had some trouble walking. Packed up and left.
There was no bruising visible but some pretty good swelling. I hobbled for a couple of days.
I was back at 95% after a week but the swelling is just now - 5 weeks later - almost gone.
Reminder to wear gear all the time. This was a very slow fall in soft sand. It could have been worse.
This leads me to my two questions.
Should it have been that bad? Would a better boot have performed better?
Should I replace the boots? I know to do this with a helmet, not sure about these plastic boots.

Maybe? Falling is funny so maybe but generally no. What area of your calf? MX boots generally won't cover the calf but if the exhaust can hit your calf through the boot then that's the boot doing a bad job. Did the bike hit you anywhere else that the boot did cover? Typically, better boots will do a better job of ankle/foot protection and not of calf protection.

No, you don't need to replace your boots for this. They're just hard plastic and padding so I wouldn't replace them unless they're broken.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KillHour posted:

This happened with my Daineses too. Fortunately the alpinestars I had before them don't reinforce the holes for the laces which caused those laces to saw through the leather so it was a quick swap over

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Strife posted:

Seconding this recomendation. I've only had them for ~8 months but they're holding up great and the feel incredibly tough.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought that Astars convertible jacket about a month and a half ago. Fully zipped it's as warm as my old Tourmaster, and with the sleeves off it's almost as comfortable at today's 29C as my dedicated mesh.

Didnt come with back or chest armor, so I picked up the back armor today.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Strife posted:

Sick. I popped the laces on my Icon whateverthefuck street shoes like 3 rides in. They are garrrrbage. I'll give these a try.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just wiped out in the rain at about 20 mph. These jeans held up remarkably well. Was also wearing a rain suit, which helped to slide

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/iron-workers-harden-jeans

These jeans don't have provision for side impact armor inserts, unfortunately. It's where I got the ground and have a subsequent bruise.

4/5 would crash again

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nitrox posted:

Just wiped out in the rain at about 20 mph. These jeans held up remarkably well. Was also wearing a rain suit, which helped to slide

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/iron-workers-harden-jeans

These jeans don't have provision for side impact armor inserts, unfortunately. It's where I got the ground and have a subsequent bruise.

4/5 would crash again

If it makes you feel any better, you'd have bruises either way, the side impact protectors are mainly to prevent your hip bone from fracturing. They might have reduced the bruises slightly, but you got away pretty well all things considered. Glad you are OK.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Glad you’re ok nitrox!

Man it’s so cool that riding jeans tech has come a long way recently (even AAA rated ones that don’t cost a gazillion).

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'll plug Dyns jeans anytime I get a chance. Liked the first pair so much that I bought one of their black cargo jeans. I have an unusually short inseam for my waist, so most jeans that are 32" length are too long for me, but you can order Dyns in any size you need.

Haven't tried their AAA rated pair as I'm waiting a while as I'm slowly dropping pants sizes before dropping $200 on a new pair of riding pants.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

I'll plug Dyns jeans anytime I get a chance. Liked the first pair so much that I bought one of their black cargo jeans. I have an unusually short inseam for my waist, so most jeans that are 32" length are too long for me, but you can order Dyns in any size you need.

Haven't tried their AAA rated pair as I'm waiting a while as I'm slowly dropping pants sizes before dropping $200 on a new pair of riding pants.

Got a link?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I'm a big fan of Hood jeans in the UK. Mainly because they're pretty plain looking. I've had a pair for nearly 10 years now and they're still going strong, even if my waistline has expanded slightly.

https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nitrox posted:

Got a link?
It's these, I'm pretty happy with mine too but no tests of crash performance:
https://dynsjeans.com/

They did 25% off last 4th of July so if you're considering them and don't see a discount it might be worth waiting.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

T Zero posted:

The main limiting factor for my endurance now is that my seat is uncomfortable. After an hour, I start to ache on pressure points inside my thighs and on my sit bones. After two hours, I just don't want to be on the bike anymore.

I ended up buying this seat pad: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHS26RDP?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

So far, it's been alright. It definitely relieved some of the pressure on my thighs. The center channel was surprisingly helpful. It provides superb gooch ventilation. I can almost feel my sperm count going up.

Now that I can go longer in the saddle, I've started to notice other areas where fatigue sets in, namely my lower back and in my hands from the vibration through the grips.

One downside of this particular pad is that it's a bit too big for my seat so it bunches up at the front and rear:

As you can see, I also got a bungee cargo net. It's been useful for getting takeout. Still trying to come up with a solution for carrying a pizza.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The problem with carrying a pizza is your awkwardly shaped seat. Maybe keep a folded beach towel under the pizza box. The net should hold it just fine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Have you considered simply eating the pizza?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Any recs for a summer glove with an extra-long cuff? I leave my sleeves exposed for airflow but the arms on most of my jackets are too short and it leaves a strip of skin exposed. I'm more worried about sun exposure than road rash.

For reference I have a pair of Racer Guides and I'd like something even longer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Time for a new helmet. I got knocked the gently caress out for a couple minutes in the dirt today. Everything immediately before and after is just blank with decreasing fade as I get further away from it.

It's wild and I haven't got knocked out like that since I was a kid badly riding bicycles

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Time for a new helmet. I got knocked the gently caress out for a couple minutes in the dirt today. Everything immediately before and after is just blank with decreasing fade as I get further away from it.

It's wild and I haven't got knocked out like that since I was a kid badly riding bicycles

Excellent username/post combo.

Edit: this joke made before the OP went to the hospital and we found out how serious it was.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Please get checked out for concussion

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

Any recs for a summer glove with an extra-long cuff? I leave my sleeves exposed for airflow but the arms on most of my jackets are too short and it leaves a strip of skin exposed. I'm more worried about sun exposure than road rash.

For reference I have a pair of Racer Guides and I'd like something even longer.

By "leave the sleeves exposed" you mean you want the cuff to go under the sleeve, so air can flow up your arm?

I have those Racer gloves too, and I find my Alpinestars gauntlets are equally fine with managing heat, but I don't know how hot gets where you are versus where I am. That said, I'd probably try Alpinestars SP-8 since it looks like you can easily put them inside the sleeve instead of over and have even more perforation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

Yeah doing that right now

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

Thanks goon.
I have a small bleed in my brain, a partially collapsed lung, and maybe a couple broken ribs. X-rays still outstanding.
Literally at the hospital, lost fingat brain

Wear good gear folks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus gently caress, glad you're alright, at least the brain damage helps with posting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thanks goon.
I have a small bleed in my brain, a partially collapsed lung, and maybe a couple broken ribs. X-rays still outstanding.

Wear good gear folks

Take care of yourself and be well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thanks goon.

Wear good gear folks

That is rough, get well soon

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Feel better man, take all the time you need and extra. Bikes will always be there, whenever you ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks. I went to a local hospital last night and because they found a brain bleed, they transferred me via ambulance to the closest hospital with a neurosurgeon, which is in Portland.
They kept me in ICU overnight because of the brain bleed. Further imaging has shown this is not a concern any longer.
The local hospital had gotten a chest drain tube going to release the air from the collapsed lung out.
Anyways, a broken rib is miserable. I do not recommend it.