Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I don't think the Mother Flame is a weapon, I think it's an energy source Vegapunk created that the WG took and used to revive Uranus. Now that it's worked they want to kill him to keep it from being used to revive Pluton as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was scrolling back up to read the Elder's names and I didn't notice their titles

FINANCE WARRIOR GOD

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Eiba posted:

Some truly amazing names this chapter.

I liked Ivankov and Dragon debating things just like the readers would- If there's an ability that can make people immortal, then someone must have used it

We as readers know it's possible because of Law's fruit, but the Immortality Operation is probably only something that a handful of living people know and anyone who did know that secret probably wouldn't divulge it because it'd make the op op fruit one of the most sought-after devil fruits on the planet. How many people canonically know what it does? Definitely less than a handful if the Revolution Army don't currently know about it yet have some knowledge of Imu

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Scroc really needs a lolipop or something to stand in for a cigar

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Just want to point out that this new guy isn’t introduced as a celestial dragon. He could still one, but he’s introduced as the supreme commander of god’s knights, we are probably meant to assume he’s a CD. Could be a classic bait and switch.

My pet theory is that Imu betrayed the rest is the 20 kings and took the immortality and whatever else so they could rule the world alone.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Look I'm just saying, if I was a Celestial Dragon I wouldn't be hooting and hollering for what appears to be one of the only people in the entire world that can execute Celestial Dragons

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RuBisCO posted:

Look I'm just saying, if I was a Celestial Dragon I wouldn't be hooting and hollering for what appears to be one of the only people in the entire world that can execute Celestial Dragons

Chuds love cops. :shrug:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I did not remember that name from that movie at all. Looking it up apparently the Elder Stars were speculating if Uta was a member of that family. As speculation it's very unclear what concrete information can be taken from it. It seemed plausible, but by no means certain that it was Shanks' name.

But I guess that's splitting hairs because we now have another piece of circumstantial evidence (God Valley and Figarland) on the other side and Shanks being a Figarland right in the middle, so it's pretty certain at this point.

Shanks' dad being a major villain makes sense. Exciting stuff!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Just want to point out that this new guy isn’t introduced as a celestial dragon. He could still one, but he’s introduced as the supreme commander of god’s knights, we are probably meant to assume he’s a CD. Could be a classic bait and switch.

My pet theory is that Imu betrayed the rest is the 20 kings and took the immortality and whatever else so they could rule the world alone.

I briefly had that thought as well, but the idea of having an outsider stand in judgement over them is anathema to everything we understand about these people.

Not impossible, but so exceptional that I'm not going to assume it's the case without explicit evidence. Still, the fact that he's a former king means something I've been assuming about World Noble orginization isn't quite right, so who knows.

Really a fantastic gag. Got a good laugh out of me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm still holding out hope Uranus is related to the giants and in particular is/was hatched from that giant egg Roger had on his ship rather than what was used on lulusia. I think it would have probably been named specifically this chapter otherwise

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
That lines up with Shank's backstory of being discovered by Roger in a treasure chest (like Law!) during the God Island incident. This might mean Buggy was the senior apprentice which reinforces why he gave up his dream because he was completely outshone by the new younger recruit

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like how the most elite intelligence agency of the world government is just out on the streets showing random citizens missing people posters like they were trying to find their lost cat

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Would be really funny if Uranus is really just a souped-up, extra-large Maxim from the Skypeia days that can drop Raigohs at will, and the Ark Maxim was merely the raw prototype brought to fruition from Enel's infinite electricity, thus solving the power issues they had with getting the drat thing up and running.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

rannum posted:

I was scrolling back up to read the Elder's names and I didn't notice their titles

FINANCE WARRIOR GOD

Love that the only one of the five elders not in a suit is the finance God.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

mabels big day posted:

I like how the most elite intelligence agency of the world government is just out on the streets showing random citizens missing people posters like they were trying to find their lost cat

Gotta give Spandam something to do to keep him out of trouble

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

HerraS posted:

Ok here's the whole thing and some explanations about what the hell's going on:

This is the painting in question, made by Zhang Sengyou during the Lian Dynasty (not the Tang), showing the "The Five Stars and 28 Heavenly Abodes". In Chinese mythology most celestial objects were living beings that looked like humans, but more better and beautiful etc. because their bodies were made of pure Qi instead of flesh and blood.

The five 'classical' planets of Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Venus and Mercury are described thus:

Jupiter, associated with the element of wood, is a leopard-faced being riding a boar.

Mars, associated with the element of fire, is a six-armed donkeyman riding another donkey.

Saturn, associated with the element of earth, is a farmer riding on a buffalo.

Venus, associated with the element of metal and usually depicted as a woman, rides on a phoenix or the Vermilion Bird according to some.

Mercury, associated with the element of water and also usually a woman, is a magistrate who sadly didn't get a rad animal to ride on.

Now, looking at the dark silhouettes we saw this chapter:

We can definitely see three of them could resemble a buffalo, a bird of some kind and a boar, leaving just the magistrate and the donkeyman.

Is this where Oda will get the inspiration for the powers of the Five Elder Stars? Maybe! :iiam:

Also I guess this was probably spot on? Mercury being a Magistrate would line up with the Justice title and you can make a link between wood, jupiter and "agriculture" (though I guess that would fit better with saturn based on this)

Also kind of interesting that the 2 Saints have very straight forward names planet names but the other 3 are all puns.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ju Peter

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eiba posted:

I briefly had that thought as well, but the idea of having an outsider stand in judgement over them is anathema to everything we understand about these people.

Not impossible, but so exceptional that I'm not going to assume it's the case without explicit evidence. Still, the fact that he's a former king means something I've been assuming about World Noble orginization isn't quite right, so who knows.

Chances are you’re right, but with Oda, you never know.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

That is one Ace Attorney rear end design, :lmao:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Oda put the coloured cover art with the rainbow at the beginning of June. :unsmith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

HerraS posted:

That is one Ace Attorney rear end design, :lmao:

I thought the same thing lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

Oda put the coloured cover art with the rainbow at the beginning of June. :unsmith:

pride ftw

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bleck posted:

Oda says Okama Way

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So does Kong actually do anything or was he kicked upstairs? Haven't heard from that guy in awhile, you'd think he'd be involved in the current goings on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One Piece is good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Note that the Five Elders are named after five planets, and the three Ancient Weapons are named after the three remaining planets*.

*I know, I know, Pluto.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bleck posted:

Note that the Five Elders are named after five planets, and the three Ancient Weapons are named after the three remaining planets*.

*I know, I know, Pluto.

the ancient weapons were unveiled 5 years before pluton was declared as not a planet... in 2006

anyway posting this again for no real reason

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

anime was right posted:

the ancient weapons were unveiled 5 years before pluton was declared as not a planet... in 2006

christ I'm old

Anyway, with the knowledge that the Five Elders are named after those specific planets, and our existing knowledge that Poseidon is a person, I'm beginning to think that, considering the overall relationship between Franky's backstory and Pluton, Franky's "bad future" as depicted in the SBS is a bigger hint about some stuff than we thought.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

We as readers know it's possible because of Law's fruit, but the Immortality Operation is probably only something that a handful of living people know and anyone who did know that secret probably wouldn't divulge it because it'd make the op op fruit one of the most sought-after devil fruits on the planet. How many people canonically know what it does? Definitely less than a handful if the Revolution Army don't currently know about it yet have some knowledge of Imu
I think it's just in the Devil Fruit Encyclopedia, that's presumably what Ivankov was pointing to and reasoning that for the author to know it had that power it must have been used at least once. And the fruit is very sought after, multiple groups were trying to steal it in Law's backstory.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

anime was right posted:

anyway posting this again for no real reason

the real truth behind One Piece, Oda doesn't believe in a heliocentric model of the solar system.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The God’s knights being actual celestial dragons were certainly explain why they weren’t a factor before. They only get involved when Mary Geoise is involved

And yeah I thought it was funny Oda had to give Seraphim Crocodile the scar because that’s his only identifying feature besides the cigar and hook(which the seraphim obviously wouldn’t have). Also I think we can rule out Blackbeard, Buggy, and Law seraphim at this point

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Aurubin posted:

So does Kong actually do anything or was he kicked upstairs? Haven't heard from that guy in awhile, you'd think he'd be involved in the current goings on.

He's "Commander In Chief" of the WG, so in theory all the other forces like the Cipher Pols and Science Division and guys like the Impel Down and Enies lobby guards are under his general umbrella.

In practice those guys already have their own handlers like Spandamen or Sentomaru on the ground, and anything else is just something the Elders have already plotted and decided. He's probably good at fights and all but in there isn't really a need for him to ever be on panel since he's just another middleman for the 5's instructions.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Gonna use this break to reread this arc. There’s a lot to remember.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Bleck posted:

*I know, I know, Pluto.

Yes, yes, we all know that the Five Elders are the Sailor Scouts' grandads

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Robviously posted:

Yes, yes, we all know that the Five Elders are the Sailor Scouts' grandads

In the name of Imu, I'll punish you

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Bleck posted:

*I know, I know, Pluto.

Which planet is called Poseidon again?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Not a single planet has the letter D in its name. Just how deep does this conspiracy go? :tinfoil:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HerraS posted:

Which planet is called Poseidon again?

Neptune

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

What does Shirahoshi's dad have to do with the fact that no planet has ever been called Poseidon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Excelzior posted:

In the name of Imu, I'll punish you

Speaking of, does Imu's name have a reference to a celestial thing?