Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If a tomato vine grows higher than its support pole will it know to stop growing or do i need to do something before it doubles over like a dumb idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

If a tomato vine grows higher than its support pole will it know to stop growing or do i need to do something before it doubles over like a dumb idiot?

You can clip it if you want. It won’t really care and it’s better now than when it’s full of fruit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tyvm! I asked the genocide garden thread and they ignored me to discuss illegal insecticides and anti-chipmunk traps/missile weapons

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Tyvm! I asked the genocide garden thread and they ignored me to discuss illegal insecticides and anti-chipmunk traps/missile weapons

I thought someone had answered it over there. Tomatoes will just keep vining away until they’re starting to set fruit. Then the determinate varieties will get it done and be done, the indeterminate will keep going and keep putting out more fruit. Either way it’s best to prune them so that the supports can hold them up properly.

Chipmunks (and most other rodents) are a big pest though for veggie gardens though, and all the insecticides are legal and normally skew towards organic solutions anyway. That’s why it tends to come up in there every early summer. Everyone is trying to get something out of their hard work growing food.

Just wait until the pictures of hornworms show up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just snip the main stem off at a fork?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I managed to get a photo of my weird peony resin situation.

Some of the flowers seem a bit misshapen as well. I've never seen this happen before, and tbh it's a little gross since it looks like dried snot and all. The plants themselves seem to be perfectly happy and are pumping out shitloads of flowers. I have no idea what kind of peony it is, but they came from my grandmother's house so they're fairly special to me. And they smell lovely.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

:jerkbag:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Mad Hamish posted:

I managed to get a photo of my weird peony resin situation.

Some of the flowers seem a bit misshapen as well. I've never seen this happen before, and tbh it's a little gross since it looks like dried snot and all. The plants themselves seem to be perfectly happy and are pumping out shitloads of flowers. I have no idea what kind of peony it is, but they came from my grandmother's house so they're fairly special to me. And they smell lovely.

My guess is "guttation", when plants excrete stuff they don't need. At least one result suggests this is common from peony flowers.
https://bayweekly.com/old-site/year08/issuexvi20/gardenerxvi20.html

The other idea would be "honeydew" left from pests. Hopefully you have ruled that out.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, I’m arguably guessing from the background image.

If you post some more pictures of the tree in question, and of its branches and foliage, we’ll be able to more properly ID it

Hopefully I didn't come off as sarcastic or snarky, I meant that I recognized that sometimes local names for things are not correct. Although it turns out is more than a local thing:

Here is a close up of the foliage:

As a separate ID request, any idea what this would be? It was a cool shrub that would have some of the leaves turn a nice pink in the fall (photo taken early November). Northern Minnesota, Zone 4b.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My guess would be the first unless you can find aphids or scale on the flower anywhere. Honeydew tends to run and drip more consistently.

My peonies are very large this year, last year they barely flowered from the cold in June. Much rather have crusty sap on them than have no flowers. You could probably gently wash it off of the flowers that haven’t opened yet.

Edit: that looks like an arborvitae/thuja variety of some sort. They grow fast, but if you prune them back far they’ll leave a hole and not fill in. You can pinch off the ends of the area that’s crowding the porch, but they’ll just put out new foliage and you’ll need to keep pruning it a little at a time every year. Root system shouldn’t bother anything and it’s common to plant next to houses.

That second plant is very common to my eyes, but I can’t place the name of it. You may want to download an app called Seek as it’ll use your phone camera to help with better IDs on a lot of things taking your geography into account too.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 7, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to sort of encourage plants to start budding? All the flowers on my grapevine and white currant bush wilted off and I'd at least like fruit on them this year. :smith:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

jjack229 posted:

Hopefully I didn't come off as sarcastic or snarky, I meant that I recognized that sometimes local names for things are not correct. Although it turns out is more than a local thing:

Here is a close up of the foliage:

It's probably an arborvitae or Leyland cypress of some description like OK Comboomer said originally, and it's definitely the kind of thing people would call a cedar because if you don't look that close it looks like an eastern redcedar and also eastern whitecedar is one of the common names of arborvitae. Telling a Leyland cypress apart from an arborvitae is not something I could do offhand-i imagine it involves a little botanizing and counting needles or scales or branchlets or cones or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Telling a Leyland cypress apart from an arborvitae is not something I could do offhand-i imagine it involves a little botanizing and counting needles or scales or branchlets or cones or something.

one of them sucks poo poo and the other sucks poo poo somewhat less

Edit: sorry, I don’t mean to diss a tree that you might have in your yard. Leylands are just infamous as “landlord special” trees that are dirt cheap to propagate and grow up and therefore dirt cheap to sell. They grow quickly and are relatively hardy (assuming that like deer don’t shred them or you don’t roast them during a drought) when young, which means that they’re great at getting really big really fast—which makes them a popular choice for quick, cheap landscape plants with fast curb appeal (this makes them extra popular on house flips and “starter” homes) and as hedges/privacy trees/green walls/etc.

The problem comes when the tree hits its twenties or even late teens, gets sick, and/or begins to die of old age. At that point it’s basically impossible to save and it becomes the (usually the next) owner’s big problem, especially if it’s close to the house.

Their “live fast, die young” strategy also applies to their reproduction, and they can become an awful invasive tree in North America and Europe.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 7, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

My guess is "guttation", when plants excrete stuff they don't need. At least one result suggests this is common from peony flowers.
https://bayweekly.com/old-site/year08/issuexvi20/gardenerxvi20.html

The other idea would be "honeydew" left from pests. Hopefully you have ruled that out.

Since it's only on the buds I do have a sneaky feeling that the water/nectar/whatever that attracts ants has probably just dried up - it hasn't rained here for four weeks. The only bugs I've seen on them is the regular ants, no aphids or anything. The crusty bits don't seem to be interfering with the buds actually opening and since there's been very little water I can see how that would mess with bud formation.

I had no idea guttation could happen on something that's not houseplant leaves - I've only ever seen it on my monstera and sometimes my pothos.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

jjack229 posted:

As a separate ID request, any idea what this would be? It was a cool shrub that would have some of the leaves turn a nice pink in the fall (photo taken early November). Northern Minnesota, Zone 4b.

This one’s easy. It’s burning bush, euonymus alatus. It’s a common landscaping / office park plant but it’s considered invasive on the east coast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No shade tho

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Posting my Turkish poppies, that refused to die despite the house owner excavating out this bed by about 2 feet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Those are very awesome poppies

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That color, my my my

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

RickRogers posted:

Posting my Turkish poppies, that refused to die despite the house owner excavating out this bed by about 2 feet.

Good stuff. My glads starting blooming today. One is almost 6 feet tall.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scientific/botanical names are so important for proper advice, but I love the cultural aspect of common names.
Three of my favorites are love-in-a-mist, kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate, and love-lies-bleeding. Three-act play, there.

Nigella damascena , Persicaria orientalis formerly Polygonum orientale, and Amaranthus caudatus, if you're nasty.

Also, those poppies are glorious.

The reason that poppies usually hate transplanting is that they have tap roots: the root is a cone going straight down, with not much in the way of side branches. Tap-rooted plants hate it when you damage the tip of the root.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I have some poppy seeds that look like they're just sprouting. We'll see what they do, I suppose.

Right now I'm looking at photos of some very nice yellow peonies and thinking of where I could put some in my front yard. I worry that tree peonies will be a little too delicate for the conditions I operate in but it looks like herbaceous varieties exist now?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I need some help.

I grow succulents and sedums, but something is hurting my succulents and killing my sedums from the center of the pots outward. Can anyone tell me what is doing this? (The white fuzz in the first and second pic is just remnants of packing material).

I know I have mealy bugs and spider mites which I'm already fighting, but the killing center outwards seems like it's something else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

-Zydeco- posted:

I need some help.

I grow succulents and sedums, but something is hurting my succulents and killing my sedums from the center of the pots outward. Can anyone tell me what is doing this? (The white fuzz in the first and second pic is just remnants of packing material).

I know I have mealy bugs and spider mites which I'm already fighting, but the killing center outwards seems like it's something else.

It could be the plants succumbing to the mealybug. Once they hit a tipping point, they just tend to go even if the infestation/damage doesn’t seem that bad or out of control

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

It could be the plants succumbing to the mealybug. Once they hit a tipping point, they just tend to go even if the infestation/damage doesn’t seem that bad or out of control

I've been successfully fighting the mealy bugs for a while. Never able to get rid of them, but have been keeping them under control. I think I probably just have spider mites at this point or I got some root rot started and its just rotting outwards. I just took trimmings from everything and pitched the rest.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've had really good success vs. mealybugs with q-tips and isopropyl. Sometimes they come back in a couple months and sometimes they're eradicated, but it always knocks them back extremely well. In each case the damage to the plants have been minimal even with large infestations. They're a lot less harmful than thrips or spider mites.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Woodpile posted:

Good stuff. My glads starting blooming today. One is almost 6 feet tall.

:yeshaha: post glads plz

Back to poppies, yeah they are pretty fabulous pink poppies.

I also have these P. rhoeas (sorry, I only know the German common names for a lot of plants) from a wild flower mix, as a "gently caress you" to the neat and tidy neighbors who used to mow this strip of no man's land between our house and the street.

And these here are my special new poppies, of which I have yet to research the legalities in my resident country. Nice soft colors though.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I've had really good success vs. mealybugs with q-tips and isopropyl. Sometimes they come back in a couple months and sometimes they're eradicated, but it always knocks them back extremely well. In each case the damage to the plants have been minimal even with large infestations. They're a lot less harmful than thrips or spider mites.

I've been dealing with them with a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol, dish soap, and water and long with tweezers. I tweeze out any bugs and silk I can find and then spray down with the bottle. Works great, but the spray dowsnt seem to have as much affect on spider mites. That or I'm bad enough at spotting them that they keep getting a good population going before I realize something is wrong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RickRogers posted:

Back to poppies, yeah they are pretty fabulous pink poppies.

I also have these P. rhoeas (sorry, I only know the German common names for a lot of plants) from a wild flower mix, as a "gently caress you" to the neat and tidy neighbors who used to mow this strip of no man's land between our house and the street.
Mostly they're just poppies in the US, although there's a specially bred variety called "Shirley poppies".

quote:

And these here are my special new poppies, of which I have yet to research the legalities in my resident country. Nice soft colors though.

In the US, growing Papaver somniferum, or selling the seeds of same, is illegal. No worries! The seed packets are labeled "breadseed poppies". I am not making this up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the US, growing Papaver somniferum, or selling the seeds of same, is illegal. No worries! The seed packets are labeled "breadseed poppies". I am not making this up.
This isn't really quite true. Growing opium poppies for ornamental or culinary purposes is fine, but harvesting narcotic raw materials from them is not. It's a pretty murky legal thing which as I understand it hinges alot on intent, but the basic takeaway is that no, it's not illegal for you to grow P. somniferum in your yard if you want to look at them or harvest seeds, just don't go slicing the pods and collecting latex or whatever.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I had no idea that opium wasn't somehow derived from poppy seeds. Thankfully none other than the DEA web site explained the process to me :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This weird little thing I picked up on a whim is happy enough to be putting out some blooms:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

This weird little thing I picked up on a whim is happy enough to be putting out some blooms:

Looks like Albuca spiralis.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Looks like Albuca spiralis.
Yeah, I think I only know it by the ridiculous name it was sold under, "frizzle sizzle" or some such nonsense. I suck at succulents (:haw:), but this one seems happy so far, anyway.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, I think I only know it by the ridiculous name it was sold under, "frizzle sizzle" or some such nonsense. I suck at succulents (:haw:), but this one seems happy so far, anyway.

Looks like it's doing well to me. In my experience they're quite sensitive to getting too much light, but they're pretty easy to grow otherwise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This hosta is struggling, needs to be somewhere better, but I really like the white stripe down the middle.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The previous owners of my house were incredibly bad at keeping up landscaping, so I am always a little surprised when something like daylilies just pop up amid our nested warren of hostas and native weeds.

Meanwhile I think my poppies have reached the end of their yearly run. I think these are just bog standard blackfly, but they've absolutely covered my lower leaves so I think they'll be done soon.

And then we put up a bee hotel in the garden which has largely gone unused... although this morning I am seeing a ton of eggs for... I have no idea what. They're not the wasps I was hoping for I know that...

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

This hosta is struggling, needs to be somewhere better, but I really like the white stripe down the middle.

Hostas are insanely hardy and you can transplant them any time of the year, provided you're able to water it regularly until it's re-established. Two of the ones I moved earlier this year are even flowering!

But yeah, don't be afraid to move it or clean out the area around it and re-plant it! Hostas only look better when they are given proper care

edit - also that's a real nice hosta. I think there's a similar type available at NH Hostas but it's not the same, so yours might be one of those weird ones that was sold for a few years then disappeared

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I have a ~17”x7” planter, would a basil plant be able to share it with say some kind of pepper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

dew worm posted:

I have a ~17”x7” planter, would a basil plant be able to share it with say some kind of pepper?

They prefer to stay in three dimensions usually.

Also, yes. Put them on opposite sides of the 17 about 3" from the edge.