Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

psiox posted:

i seem to have a false memory of a sharez0ne that was like

"sex work is real work and work fuckin sucks"

i cant find it but it definitely existed, the text on the tweet was WHEN DO I GET OFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

psiox posted:

Its less awful than many many many day jobs and it pays far far far better.

fun fact: pimps are usually employees, not employers.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
like im not sayin that bein a sex worker is a sweet gig but i think conflating sex work and sex trafficking is like conflating employment and slavery.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rotor posted:

like im not sayin that bein a sex worker is a sweet gig but i think conflating sex work and sex trafficking is like conflating employment and slavery.

when you work at an Amazon logistics center, you can have the best of both worlds

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah i mean if you have to work anyway why not make it extremely high-earning for however long you can do it

i just wouldn't have the energy tbh, let alone for what some of the top earners do with the somewhat parasocial angle to audience interaction

then again a shitload of money buys a lot of enthusiasm from me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bob dobbs is dead posted:

evangelical christians more than think tanks, i think

yeah and they love to inflate those statistics and punish sex workers for existing, not help traffic'd women

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah and they love to inflate those statistics and punish sex workers for existing, not help traffic'd women

yeah i think there is broad agreement in this

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

psiox posted:

deffo exists i think its just not a sharez0ne

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

kitten emergency posted:

when you work at an Amazon logistics center, you can have the best of both worlds

Sex work (not trafficking, to clarify) is always 100% preferable in all cases to working at an ALC.

Putting your back into it and fantastic hours vs... Spinal damage and lovely hours.

No-brainer.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

If I’m gonna pee in a bottle, I want to be paid more than Amazon will

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
pimping... as a service

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

pimping... as a service

looking into it 🤣🤣

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Expo70 posted:

Sex work (not trafficking, to clarify) is always 100% preferable in all cases to working at an ALC.

Putting your back into it and fantastic hours vs... Spinal damage and lovely hours.

No-brainer.

no it’s not, i don’t think most people would agree with you

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think I'd rather not do either personally

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sex work has far too much direct interaction with customers for anyone in yospos to enjoy it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lumping prostitution and camming together under the title "sex work" is either dumb or disingenuous. they are not the same.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

sex work has far too much direct interaction with customers for anyone in yospos to enjoy it
not sure if this is supposed to be a sick burn but yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

I think I'd rather not do either personally

nobody wants to twerk anymore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in-person sex work, a customer-facing position (some of the time)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

not sure if this is supposed to be a sick burn but yeah

nah it's just a funny joke about computer touchers that's also prolly just plain true

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

lumping prostitution and camming together under the title "sex work" is either dumb or disingenuous. they are not the same.

eh i know people who do both and there's a hell of a lot of similarities, and a bunch of the differences are only because one is illegal

like they're obviously not the same but they're close enough that I think it's fair to consider them a common "job sector" or whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah gonna go with nope on that. the only commonality is that sex is involved.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
prostitution seems like much more dangerous work than camming in basically every way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

they also both take place in a society, and are done in exchange for money, and the clientele is mostly men

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

there's quite a bit more than that but i'm really not in the mood to argue about it right now so sure, fine

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if a prostitute decides she doesn't want to service a particular customer, she can just say "no thanks" and the man legally has to leave without causing any problems. i don't see how that's any different than camming and being able to simply turn off your stream

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that would be the differences that only exist because one is illegal that i specifically mentioned, yes

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

radical legalization of prostitution imo, then it won’t be as different.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept posted:

if a prostitute decides she doesn't want to service a particular customer, she can just say "no thanks" and the man legally has to leave without causing any problems. i don't see how that's any different than camming and being able to simply turn off your stream

i am being extremely sarcastic here if it wasn't obvious

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shame Boy posted:

that would be the differences that only exist because one is illegal that i specifically mentioned, yes

there are countries in the world where prostitution is not illegal, and yet they still have a lot of these issues.

mystes
May 31, 2006

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument. maybe slightly better than an argument in which everyone has a different definition of a word but refuses to acknowledge that fact but not by much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument

and im here for it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

mystes posted:

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument

cereal with milk is SOUP fight me mf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument. maybe slightly better than an argument in which everyone has a different definition of a word but refuses to acknowledge that fact but not by much

so is prostitution heading or course over ground?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Eeyo posted:

radical legalization of prostitution imo, then it won’t be as different.

many places (amsterdam, germany, hong kong, singapore are the ones i know of) that have legalized prostitution end up with with a majority of prostitutes being immigrant women. doesnt seem like a good dynamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i never took you for a protectionist