Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Testekill posted:

Especially considering that this was the rest of the card

yeah, that eddie and juvi match wasnt the standard, that was an outlier

look at all the no contests and DQs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Duke Pukem posted:

And even then we don't know if that match had an actual clean finish or if it was the usual dumb bullshit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No contest, sub-3:00, clean finish, DQ, no contest, clean finish, no contest, DQ.

Lordy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duke Pukem posted:

The Eddy/Juvi match a few weeks earlier went to a no contest too!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MJeff posted:

No contest, sub-3:00, clean finish, DQ, no contest, clean finish, no contest, DQ.

Lordy.

What is this Monday night RAW?!?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Corey0Michaels/status/1667393920387432452?s=20

How the gently caress are there multiple "The Bloodline reminds me of my abusive trauma" threads

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
muh muh muh muh tribal chief

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That’s just all pop culture right now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, "it's so cool and great that this children's movie accurately portrayed what a panic attack looks like [insert gif of a character experiencing mild distress because they're fighting bad guys from space]" is the hot one right now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

booker t and kanyon got some time might have to watch that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/KGarriguesArt/status/1667543867162230786

https://twitter.com/KGarriguesArt/status/1667593592641028097

Pylons fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 11, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

The Bloodline is a story about trauma.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seams posted:

Twitter reducing media literacy to one of two extremes of either seeing the smallest thing as the sign of something bigger or ignoring obvious plot moments despite the show beating people over the head with it

*eyes Witch from Mercury threads on twitter*

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Suplex Liberace posted:

booker t and kanyon got some time might have to watch that

I would happily watch Booker T and Kanyon go 17 minutes if it was going to be a clean finish and wasn't WCW 99.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

The match itself is good but I quickly realized this is from a May or June 99 Nitro and just kind of laughed. We see matches this good all the time now and they aren't surrounded by the worst TV imaginable. Depending on which of two matches this could be, this also possibly had a horrendous finish!

https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1667358069922177029

The discourse over this dumb tweet led to this. Amazing.

https://twitter.com/BensonRichardE/status/1667666008444751875

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Eddie of course has no shirts of his own https://www.shopaew.com/roster/eddiekingston.html

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Real fights either look boring or incredibly stupid so I’m glad pro wrestling doesn’t try to simulate them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Getting some real The Bloodline vibes from this

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

They can always argue that their art is better than the official stuff though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Their "art" doesn't make Eddie any money though.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/Corey0Michaels/status/1667393920387432452?s=20

How the gently caress are there multiple "The Bloodline reminds me of my abusive trauma" threads

Because it's explicitly about that

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

better argument when it isn't just somebody else's art they're editing, and that artist doesn't want to be part of it

they could also just say they wanted to make a cooler shirt than is available, rather than taking that weird stance that this is somehow a service to Eddie

The337th fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 11, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
tribal chiefs will literally hold the title for 1000 days instead of going to therapy

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

TV Zombie posted:

If they arent giving Kingston a cut, they can go gently caress themselves

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

The discourse over this dumb tweet led to this. Amazing.

https://twitter.com/BensonRichardE/status/1667666008444751875

Next time I get in a real fight I'll try the Toyota Roll, I'm sure it'll work out for me

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Seams posted:

Real fights either look boring or incredibly stupid so I’m glad pro wrestling doesn’t try to simulate them.

You're always seeing guys in ufc turn away from their opponent to look directly into the camera making a surprised face when their opponent gets up from a big move

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

little munchkin posted:

You're always seeing guys in ufc turn away from their opponent to look directly into the camera making a surprised face when their opponent gets up from a big move

I was going to mention shouting at your opponent instead of finishing them but then I remembered khabib vs Conor and 'talk now, why won't you talk now?'

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

“They wouldn’t get made in a way that gives him money to start with, so he’s not LOSING really”

This reminds me of a friend of mine who was a vegetarian for like a month, then started eating meat again and told us it was because those cows were all going to die anyway, so her not eating them wasn’t going to save them from ultimately being killed anyhow.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Everyone should use this logic. I should be allowed to sell tickets to a John Cena vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi match. They won't wrestle each other so they were never going to make money off of selling tickets to the show. If anything, they're winning more people getting excited at the idea of them wrestling!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/castergunx/status/1667945338513113088?t=IXm0vGujCytd0QdsqppkBg&s=19

We've reached AEW being old enough that now there's internal fighting of When It Was Better

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
AEW in 2021 ruled lol

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Seams posted:

AEW in 2021 ruled lol

But have you considered that the worst things from 2021 are not as good as the best things from 2023?!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hammond Egger posted:

But have you considered that the worst things from 2021 are not as good as the best things from 2023?!

Everything mentioned in that 2021 list was good and fun.aew covering for matt sydals botch via Nak purposefully bussing matt sydals debut via baby oil which was paid off via a match is some of the most inspired story telling in wrestling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do miss some of the crazy weirdness of early AEW (and pandemic-era AEW in particular) but it's hard to argue with the quality of what they're doing now.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

Everything mentioned in that 2021 list was good and fun.aew covering for matt sydals botch via Nak purposefully bussing matt sydals debut via baby oil which was paid off via a match is some of the most inspired story telling in wrestling.

Big Swole was most definitely not good lol, everything else owned though

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Big Swole got us Peak Posting Power Tony though so who can truly say if she was good or bad

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/castergunx/status/1667945338513113088?t=IXm0vGujCytd0QdsqppkBg&s=19

We've reached AEW being old enough that now there's internal fighting of When It Was Better

Ah yes, those 2021 Joey Janela pay per view matches, such as

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think he was in the Face of the Revolution ladder match that year as an injury replacement. That was where he coined the phrase Big Biceps Tony.

Anyway, AEW had stuff that stunk in 2021, they were really phoning it in super hard at the end of the Daly's Place era but it also had that super hot return to the road and the time around All Out where the company was so hot it was beating Raw in the key demo. 2023 has had stuff that stinks like the DoN cycle but it also has had maybe the best match in company history?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

I think he was in the Face of the Revolution ladder match that year as an injury replacement. That was where he coined the phrase Big Biceps Tony.

Ladder match was Scorpio Sky, Cody Rhodes, Ethan Page, Lance Archer, Max Caster and Penta El Zero Miedo.

Honestly I can't really pick a better era. Yeah, there was some goofy 2021 poo poo, and the last few Daily's Place shows before they went back on the road were a holding pattern, but we also got hall of fame matches on random Dynamites like Penta vs Kenny, plus Shida's amazing joshi series. AEW is always going to mix the goofy poo poo and the amazing, because sometimes the things that look like they're going to be goofy are the best things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The further you get from the past, the easier it is to just remember the good stuff. Imho AEW is the best weekly wrestling show bar none, even if the quality can vary from "the best thing I've ever seen" to "oh there was only one really amazing match and one great promo, the rest wasn't that great".

There's also the fact that wrestling is extremely subjective, like all entertainment. Stuff that I hated was probably beloved by other people, and my #1 AEW moment so far (Hangman and Dark Order teaming up vs the Elite) was probably not someone else's cup of tea.