Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Going by Ivankov's speculation and what we know about Vegapunk's ambition, it makes the most sense for the "mother frame/flame" to be a prototype energy source that the government is using to power the ancient weapon, which they were unable to do until Vegapunk developed it.

With the einstein/Vegapunk parallels I have to speculate that his energy source is meant to be an allegory for nuclear power, and the ancient weapon is like real life nuclear bombs. VP made it with the intent of being an endless power source, and Imu uses it as a weapon of mass destruction instead. If that's the case, it probably should be called Mother Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the official translator of viz can ask odas team for things so its probably frame for realsies

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

the official translator of viz can ask odas team for things so its probably frame for realsies

Julias posted:

Regarding Mother Flame/Frame, apparently "Frame "is used in the official english, spanish and bahasa indonesian versions, and "Flame" is used in the offical brasilian, portuguese and french versions

:shepface:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

at that point it seems safer to assume that the ambiguity is a feature and not a bug than to look for The Answer

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
again as far as i know the english translation team has direct access to him, im not sure about other countries.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
stephen paul has been translating one piece for like 2 decades now

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Have them change it every other issue it's mentioned until we finally get a clear idea what it is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It turns out to be Muzza Flame, and one of the ancient weapons is a giant Australian.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

again as far as i know the english translation team has direct access to him, im not sure about other countries.

Honestly I assumed this was very much not the case, like it’s common practice for game localizations to do this but if it were a thing for One Piece Laugh Tale/raftel wouldn’t be a thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anime was right posted:

levely

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
What ever happened to Mary geoise or whatever it was. Wasn't that in an official release?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What ever happened to Mary geoise or whatever it was. Wasn't that in an official release?

it was only official in the levely arc

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I assumed this was very much not the case, like it’s common practice for game localizations to do this but if it were a thing for One Piece Laugh Tale/raftel wouldn’t be a thing.

I'm pretty sure Laugh Tale was a deliberate twist; romanizing it "correctly" from the start would have ruined the impact.

Also, don't forget that Oda himself has occasionally changed his mind about romanizations. Shiliew became Shiryu, while Linlin became Rinrin and then went back to Linlin again (and her epithet similarly went back and forth between Big Mam and Big Mom).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think at the time we learn about Laugh Tale there were translators saying that the kana for "Raftel" didn't actually work out to "Laugh Tale" until that chapter changed it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I think at the time we learn about Laugh Tale there were translators saying that the kana for "Raftel" didn't actually work out to "Laugh Tale" until that chapter changed it.
I don't believe the katakana changed, but it's not the standard way you'd transliterate Laugh Tale. It's ラフテル, ra fu te ru, when you'd usually transliterate tale as テイル, te i ru. Tale kind of has an ae sound, which can be captured in Japanese, and usually is captured, and isn't captured in テル. To my knowledge they're still using テル, though.

ラフ, ra fu, is how you would transliterate laugh though. But the whole thing is transliterated more like Laugh Tell than Laugh Tale.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Five weeks.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

7D5W

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, thought there was still one left. Nevermind then

On another note, while the animation and fight quality of the anime has improved the pacing seems to have somehow gotten even worse (they seem to be stopping to do recaps every few episodes now)

Oda has now gone on two month breaks, plus the animation on a lot of the recent episodes have been incredible, with some episodes being straight out movie quality

Cut them some slack, they're doing the best they can given the situation. If they have to do recap episodes to maintain this level of quality and to make sure they don't catch up, so be it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Asuron posted:

Oda has now gone on two month breaks, plus the animation on a lot of the recent episodes have been incredible, with some episodes being straight out movie quality

Cut them some slack, they're doing the best they can given the situation. If they have to do recap episodes to maintain this level of quality and to make sure they don't catch up, so be it.

I mean, that’s the problem, they’re busting their hump to make the show look as good as possible because Toei is still insisting on the old, beyond outdated format meant for animated adaptations that don’t last for 25+ years. You can criticize the company’s bad choices without it being a knock on the rank and file who have to live with them.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I got this really weird gacha yesterday. The theme is den den mushi projecting the Strawhats at their lowest. I pulled two Zoro.

Really weird idea for a set and I’m not sure if it sucks or owns.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Asuron posted:

The actual animators can and should take a break as well. The pacing issues are entirely down to the people who won't give them a break. Those higher ups are the ones who are loving everything up and they do deserve all the vitriol that comes their way. They're just making the show worse for bad reason.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eiba posted:

I don't believe the katakana changed, but it's not the standard way you'd transliterate Laugh Tale. It's ラフテル, ra fu te ru, when you'd usually transliterate tale as テイル, te i ru. Tale kind of has an ae sound, which can be captured in Japanese, and usually is captured, and isn't captured in テル. To my knowledge they're still using テル, though.

ラフ, ra fu, is how you would transliterate laugh though. But the whole thing is transliterated more like Laugh Tell than Laugh Tale.

Based on that, I'd honestly just transliterate it as Laughter. Or was there already one different transliteration for that word?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Based on that, I'd honestly just transliterate it as Laughter. Or was there already one different transliteration for that word?

I think Japanese transliterations take the non-rhotic option more often than the rhotic option so as to distinguish something ending in an L versus something ending in an R. For example, soccer becomes "sakkā" and super becomes "sūpā". I would assume a transliteration of laughter would have a similar ending.

Previously in the series, we've had "Misutā Sutoa" for Mr Store and "Gan Fōru" for Gan Fall for treatments of things that end in L and R sounds. Based on that track record and the phonetics in the previous post, it should result in a word ending in an L sound.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 12, 2023

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Okay so we know from Film Red that Shanks is of House Figarland and was taken from God Valley as an infant.

How did the WG determine (or verify) his ancestry? He doesn't have a strong resemblance to Garling. I suppose he could have an ID chip, though that feels like something they'd be given when they're a bit older.

Perhaps he really does have a twin brother, or at least a brother with a much stronger family resemblance... 👀

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I guess I better turn back around and develop a skill or something.... :negative:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

jassa posted:

Okay so we know from Film Red that Shanks is of House Figarland and was taken from God Valley as an infant.

How did the WG determine (or verify) his ancestry? He doesn't have a strong resemblance to Garling. I suppose he could have an ID chip, though that feels like something they'd be given when they're a bit older.

Perhaps he really does have a twin brother, or at least a brother with a much stronger family resemblance... 👀
Or they know due to his regular contact with the gorosei

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if nothing else, shanks was probably his original name and once he rose to prominence the wg would obviously investigate his background.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jassa posted:

How canon is Film Red? I assumed that it wasn't

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Insanely canon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're probably never going to overtly reference its events (or at least, its place in the overall timeline), but Uta is definitely canon at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have there been any references to her in the manga?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's an oblique reference via a panel of her hair loops when Shanks shows up at Wano.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She was shown in one panel a number of chapters ago, someone else can probably track it down.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Everyone assumed Whitebeard was talking about Roger here but he might've been talking about Garling, who probably was at God Valley when the whole shebang went down.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

HerraS posted:

who probably was at God Valley when the whole shebang went down.
He was yeah

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Len posted:

How canon is Film Red? I assumed that it wasn't

The backstory is Canon, so Uta, her relationship with shanks and luffy, shanks being found as a 1 year old baby in a chest roger took from God valley are all Canon, it's just the events of the movie itself that aren't canonical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Or they know due to his regular contact with the gorosei

Ah, but we've never definitively seen Red-Hair Shanks and the Five Elders in contact with each other 🙂

God Knight Field Commander St. Figarland Thanks though? Yeah, we saw him speaking with them.