Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

That is probably a better idea.

I don't know if discord is profitable (I'm guessing it's not) but discord has definitely done a much better job of at least trying to figure out how to make that work

judging by how discord also appears to be in the "flail around and panic as you slowly ruin everything everyone ever liked about your product" phase of the tech company growth chart right now, I'm guessing it doesn't work that great, but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

reddit has just become old and calcified as an institution (like pretty much everything before it) and therefore fundamentally incapable of making the changes needed to sustain it. it's probably going to undergo a period of rapidly declining growth, then protracted decline. eventually something new will be created that can fix whatever perceived mistakes reddit had, and it will slowly replace reddit.

idk, i just feel that death and renewal are natural parts of the online ecosystem, and worrying about how will reddit fix its existential problems is kinda pointless. it can't, just like sa can't fix its problems and become popular again. like i enjoy being on here but i'm just one of the calcified bodies along for the ride.
I don't know... I kind of think that unfortunately reddit is just something that couldn't/wouldn't be made in 2023. The whole thing is just a nightmare in terms of moderation and it clearly doesn't have that much potential for monetization. I'm not sure that anything will really replace it in the current startup climate even if it dies.

Maybe if the current tech bubble bursts people will be willing to do stuff like this again with the expectation that it will be a ton of work and barely profitable?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
litterrally just copy the discord model. charge for expanding subreddit capacity and features and let users pay for a premium service that lets them boost that feature support in their favorite subs.

reddit is an identity federation and (bad) forum hosting service. its never been a social network and it never will be a social network. the whole point of segregated sub reddits is counter to the network effects of a social network. if you were to try to force people from different subs to mix in a wider network, they'd just leave.

also the idea of an IPO is hilarious. I wonder if anyone would be dumb enough to buy into any new IPO, let alone a reddit IPO.

this is why you dont let MBAs into your organization

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The reddit drama is probably only getting started. Subs going dark is allegedly going to extend past 2 days and at that point I'd expect reddit to strike back.

Shaggar posted:

option 1: they pay which covers the costs
option 2: they go away which eliminates the costs
The API prices aren't aimed at profitability. It's set to "how high of a price do we have to set so the guy charging $50 for his mobile reddit app that's real popular & doesn't show ads or harvest user data & focuses on the wrong part of the product won't be able to pay it".

They're looking to eliminate 3rd party clients because users are using them instead of the official app. Turning off certain services and setting a price >100x standard pricing is step one. The next step is to C&D and get them pulled from the app store for being in violation of the tos if they use anything other than the paid api.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
twitter did the same gently caress up. there is a correct way to do it though:
1) free users lose all access to the api thru 3rd parties
2) 1st party clients enforce ads
3) premium users get no-ads
3) premium users also get 3rd party access to the API

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
so the new internet is going to be 50% closed off unindexed discords, 25% wikipedia, 20% racist facebook boomers and 0.05% yospos

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
the death of reddit is actually a good thing because itll also kill search so ill have significantly less reason to use my phone and touch more grass.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mystes posted:

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument. maybe slightly better than an argument in which everyone has a different definition of a word but refuses to acknowledge that fact but not by much

arbitrary labels control our lives. marriage vs civil union is a good example

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

twitter did the same gently caress up. there is a correct way to do it though:
1) free users lose all access to the api thru 3rd parties
2) 1st party clients enforce ads
3) premium users also get 3rd party access to the API
that seems like a more reasonable approach and it might work if 1) reddit hadn't caused its users to already lose all faith in it and 2) reddit was actually focused on achieving profitability rather than IPOing

in reality I can't see it happening now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

has Reddit tried charging :10bux: to register accounts?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

mods please do the needful and train expo and fart to this thread and make a new tech bubble thread

you wouldnt want to post in the best trhead on the forums?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shaggar posted:

i bet they're averse to this quite reasonable proposal because advertising ghouls are much more interested in access to the people who will pay for premium offerings. this is what leads so many "no-ads" paid services to slowly enshittify into "only the good ads, only occasionally" and then "slightly fewer ads than unpaid"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

has Reddit tried charging :10bux: to register accounts?

for a long time you didn't even need a valid email account to make a reddit account so lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

so the new internet is going to be 50% closed off unindexed discords, 25% wikipedia, 20% racist facebook boomers and 0.05% yospos

always was

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

it's going to own when search engines are dead and wikipedia starts getting infested with llm hallucinations that wink in and out of existence as wikipedia editors desperately try to ferret them out

"just do your own research to double-check chatgpt, lol, lmao"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Internet Janitor posted:

it's going to own when search engines are dead and wikipedia starts getting infested with llm hallucinations that wink in and out of existence as wikipedia editors desperately try to ferret them out

"just do your own research to double-check chatgpt, lol, lmao"

you can pay relx to do real research. if you don't want to pay relx for whatever your field of knowledge they own for that knowledge, well, good luck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
if relx doesn't ring a bell, here's a couple of the companies they own: lexis and elsevier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
they pay a hella good dividend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
but free access to knowledge? well, that's not capitalism.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

relx is the name of an ecig brand in china

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

maybe i'll burn a copy of encarta 95 just as a little insurance plan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
when every source is paywalled or has their domain expire we will finally be free.

i can go die in the woods

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

infernal machines posted:

when every source is paywalled or has their domain expire we will finally be free.

i can go die in the woods

dow jones factiva will hook you up with access to historic newspaper archives, for a fee.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

social media is like trying to monetize a bar or a cafe where you don’t serve anything but ads and maybe peanuts so who knows why it’s not going great right now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ill take the peanuts, i guess

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

MononcQc posted:

social media is like trying to monetize a bar or a cafe where you don’t serve anything but ads and maybe peanuts so who knows why it’s not going great right now

its like a bar or a cafe where the main draw is that you get to sit with friends together or maybe even strangers, and slowly people forgot they could hang out in their own homes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh whoops turns out we already knew how to make pizza

quote:

Zume, a Silicon Valley-based robotic pizza-making and delivery startup, has shut down and is liquidating its assets.

Why it matters: The company had raised $445 million in venture capital funding, including $375 million from SoftBank in 2018 at a $2.25 billion valuation.

That's a whole lotta pepperoni. And cheese, which Zume apparently couldn't stop from sliding off its pies.
The company eventually would lay off over half its employees and attempt a very hard pivot from robotic pizza delivery to sustainable packaging.

Details: Other VC backers included Maveron, FJ Labs, AME Cloud Ventures and SignalFire.

Sherwood Partners is managing the liquidation process.
throwing half a billion dollars at some folks with no food industry experience and adding robots won't overturn a century old industry???

I wonder how much of the whole rear end stupidity we've been dealing with for 15 years is down to masayoshi son

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Why it matters: it doesnt lol"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why it matters: a bunch of money that was conjured out of thin air returned to thin air

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
its 2023 and if you put a bunch of Quality Content into a website for free you do not get to act surprised when someone tries to monetize that content by putting it behind a paywall.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

why it matters: a bunch of money that was conjured out of thin air returned to thin air
hey now I'm sure there was plenty of activity
  • founders paid them selves a few hundred grand a year
  • vc's consultant buddies got to bill a shitload of hours
  • some furniture vendor sold a bunch of aerons
  • I'd imagine some commercial kitchen equipment sales folks made a good amount
  • aws, atlassian and salesforce probably ended up with a few mil

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what if I pay the site I put content on

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I do love that the stuff that requires actual physical engineering instead of "build the website/application and they will come" crashes and burns in the funniest "no poo poo" ways

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not a Children posted:

I do love that the stuff that requires actual physical engineering instead of "build the website/application and they will come" crashes and burns in the funniest "no poo poo" ways

or any time they do the "people who do [intensely manual process] get paid almost nothing therefore it should be easy to replace them with robots/algorithms"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, the fact that these people selling these ideas have no idea what labour or machinery cost. just no concept of the value of anything at all. every single one of them a lucille bluth

somehow, that doesn't prevent them from convincing other idiots to give them hundreds of millions

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

how could we possibly automate pizzamaking? instead of even watching a "how it's made" episode highlighting the dazzling prior art in continuous-flow frozen pizza assembly for ideas, let's buy an ABB robot arm and try to do everything in software

software scales, you see

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Internet Janitor posted:

software scales, you see

they keep tellin me this but idk man

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

scaling down is scaling

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

somehow, that doesn't prevent them from convincing other idiots to give them hundreds of millions

the other idiots are the same as them

it's like that phenomenon where most writers at big name outlets now are coddled trust funders who could afford to do 5 years of unpaid internships in new york so they all went to the same 3 schools and share exactly the same dumb white kid world view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

how could we possibly automate pizzamaking? instead of even watching a "how it's made" episode highlighting the dazzling prior art in continuous-flow frozen pizza assembly for ideas, let's buy an ABB robot arm and try to do everything in software

software scales, you see

this is similar to soylent very slowly reinventing meal replacement solutions by thinking very hard and poisoning their customers repeatedly