Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fifty Three posted:

I usually mow on Sundays because I'm too busy enjoying my Saturday, become ungovernable

It's illegal where I live to mow your lawn on Sundays 🇨🇭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I need a tool to install grommets onto a large sheet of fabric. The material isn't super thick or anything either.

Is there a recommended style and/or brand of grommet punches/dies that I should look at?

I’d go to Harbor Freight and get their tool for $4, the sturdier ones seem like overkill unless you’re doing heavy duty stuff like canvas or denim

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Lol that actually rules, I like it. Guaranteed quiet day on the weekend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah and you can’t have a minaret on your mosque, either.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

Yeah and you can’t have a minaret on your mosque, either.

There are some negatives, but their flag is a big plus.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

canyoneer posted:

:wal::stat:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

canyoneer posted:

:dadjoke:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

canyoneer posted:

:commissar:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
How do you guys feel about buying batteries off Amazon? I found a "Milwaukee" brand battery there, the 5.0 Ah high output M12 line for about $40 cheaper than the stores.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVCT5LZP?psc=1&smid=AZVYEONQWIAFF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Its a 30 day return window, worth giving it a shot or is this for sure a fake?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

How do you guys feel about buying batteries off Amazon? I found a "Milwaukee" brand battery there, the 5.0 Ah high output M12 line for about $40 cheaper than the stores.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVCT5LZP?psc=1&smid=AZVYEONQWIAFF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Worth a try I guess but it may be hard to tell a fake unless you have some kind of test equipment?

Fakes are super common on amazon even if you buy through known good sellers though due to their inventory management so it's a crapshoot

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah if it's a known good seller that is not fulfilled by amazon you're okay.

like other posters mentioned, issue is, if it's fulfilled by amazon that means that all the Milwaukee batteries with the same SKU get dumped into bin B190-34 so doesn't matter if "Totally Legit BatteryMart LLC" or Milwaukee tools send them, they go into bin B190-34, so when you order from Milwaukee tools they remove 1 from their spreadsheet for Milwaukee and grab whatever is in the bin.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Thanks everyone, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Thanks everyone, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

On the upside, if it does as your username suggests and fries the tool, you’ll have an excuse to buy one of the two battery packages that comes with another drill/jigsaw/multi-tool/whatever

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone have good recommendations for a wheeled miter saw table/cart for use in my shop? I've got a job site stand which is fine for using the saw, but it's a pain to move around.

I'm working in a 16x20 garage which is my dedicated shop space, but I've come to the realization that everything works better if it's on wheels so I can move things around while I'm working on stuff.

I've come across some plans online, but I'm not really sure what I would be looking for in evaluating those for fitness.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Schiavona posted:

On the upside, if it does as your username suggests and fries the tool, you’ll have an excuse to buy one of the two battery packages that comes with another drill/jigsaw/multi-tool/whatever

This is not …. I repeat… not my plan.

But it’s not a terrible plan.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for a wheeled miter saw table/cart for use in my shop? I've got a job site stand which is fine for using the saw, but it's a pain to move around.

I'm working in a 16x20 garage which is my dedicated shop space, but I've come to the realization that everything works better if it's on wheels so I can move things around while I'm working on stuff.

I've come across some plans online, but I'm not really sure what I would be looking for in evaluating those for fitness.

It's another job site stand, so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I almost like this more than I like the saw that's on it. Really easy to roll around and stow. If you aren't in a hurry you can probably get it cheaper waiting for a saw+stand package deal and return the saw.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Foldable-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Those “zero gravity” style carts are very nice I have one for my table saw. They really put the standard fold out 4 leg miter saw stands to shame.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Doodarazumas posted:

It's another job site stand, so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I almost like this more than I like the saw that's on it. Really easy to roll around and stow. If you aren't in a hurry you can probably get it cheaper waiting for a saw+stand package deal and return the saw.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Foldable-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

If you're not in a hurry that cart used to go on sale for $100, it works great.

I have almost everything in my garage set up so I can move it with a pallet jack if its not on wheels, more stable than carts and almost as flexible.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It’s not a “licensed seller” or whatever so Milwaukee won’t honor the warranty on the batteries/tools if you have an issue. Aside from getting a fake, that’s the main reason to buy Milwaukee stuff at Home Depot

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

These are usually legit, they come from 3rd party sellers who buy the "tool bundle" or "buy one battery get a tool free" deals from Home Depot and part them out. You can check the sellers and see they are often selling the bare tool as well.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

UKJeff posted:

It’s not a “licensed seller” or whatever so Milwaukee won’t honor the warranty on the batteries/tools if you have an issue. Aside from getting a fake, that’s the main reason to buy Milwaukee stuff at Home Depot

No worries there, I've had my M12 tools long enough now that I think the warranty is gone.

FCKGW posted:

These are usually legit, they come from 3rd party sellers who buy the "tool bundle" or "buy one battery get a tool free" deals from Home Depot and part them out. You can check the sellers and see they are often selling the bare tool as well.

I was thinking this was the likely story on these. I am trying to resist the temptation known as M18, as I don't really need it at all (I work in IT ... but do a ton of work around the house, such as my solar array and mini splits right now). But most of my stuff I own isn't because I needed something....

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Update: If this is a fake it's a REALLY convincing fake, down to the plastic packaging that looks dead on Milwaukee retail. Charging now and will put it to use tomorrow.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 15, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My multi tool broke, and I have been putting off replacing it out of cheapness. I ended up needing one yesterday, and cheapness guiding me, bought the 22 dollar hypertough model from Walmart.

Guys, it's uh, it's pretty good. Like, maybe it ends up blowing up in my face next week or something, but it flew through some T1-11 siding with the supplied blade. It's louder than hell, but that's about my only complaint thus far. Some tools are just simple enough they're hard to gently caress up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slugworth posted:

My multi tool broke, and I have been putting off replacing it out of cheapness. I ended up needing one yesterday, and cheapness guiding me, bought the 22 dollar hypertough model from Walmart.

Guys, it's uh, it's pretty good. Like, maybe it ends up blowing up in my face next week or something, but it flew through some T1-11 siding with the supplied blade. It's louder than hell, but that's about my only complaint thus far. Some tools are just simple enough they're hard to gently caress up.

I have the adjustable speed harbor freight one, and it's been a workhorse. Loud, sure. Blade changes require an Allen key, sure. But it works great and takes all the blades I own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I have the adjustable speed harbor freight one, and it's been a workhorse. Loud, sure. Blade changes require an Allen key, sure. But it works great and takes all the blades I own.

This also describes my Milwaukee M12 OMT, except mine cost a lot more for a tool I just don't use that often

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

IOwnCalculus posted:

This also describes my Milwaukee M12 OMT, except mine cost a lot more for a tool I just don't use that often

I have the M12 FUEL OMT and I use mine all the time. I had a corded Dremel OMT in the past and ended up giving it away after I got the M12 FUEL version. The Milwaukee is quieter, more powerful, more compact, and easier to change blades on. I managed to break it once after some lengthy drywall work, and Milwaukee fixed it free and quickly under warranty.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slugworth posted:

We're in a luxury power tool future where even the cheapest brands, like Hyper Tough, perform pretty well. There's plenty to bicker about which is better and what might be more dependable if you can't afford to have your tool gently caress up or die on you during the workday, but overall power tools are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were, like, 10 years ago, or 5 years ago.

HART is the other Walmart brand and they're known for being pretty decent as far as power tools go. I think you're better off buying Ryobi during Ryobi Days/DTO sales, but it's not a bad choice either if the price is cheap and you don't have time to wait around. But then again HART stuff will sometimes clearance at bonkers prices.

Hyper Tough hand tools though? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh....

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never owned a multitool but drat I saw how useful it could be when cutting rusty sheet metal on a car last night, particularly when you don't have a lot of space to move. I think I need to get a multitool now.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Whenever there is decent access and room to work I feel there's always another tool that does the job better, but in a lot of tight spots it is indispensable. I wish it had a better common name than "multi tool" though, which is rather vague and in most peoples minds associate with leatherman / swiss-army-knife type gadgets. Wiggle saw?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ionn posted:

Whenever there is decent access and room to work I feel there's always another tool that does the job better, but in a lot of tight spots it is indispensable. I wish it had a better common name than "multi tool" though, which is rather vague and in most peoples minds associate with leatherman / swiss-army-knife type gadgets. Wiggle saw?
They're officially known as oscillating saws/tools. For putting 2x4" holes into plywood siding, I couldn't come up with a better tool from my shed. Could probably have done plunge cuts with my jigsaw, but decided 22 bucks was worth not dealing with that.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

ionn posted:

I like to call it the angry bee machine. Handy as gently caress when you need it, better options exist otherwise!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have two corded fein multimasters, one was a gift from my dad, and the other one came from his workshop after he passed. Those and the cordless ryobi one have all proven super handy for lots of projects. Cutting drywall is probably my favorite use, you get a nice clean cut with the right blade.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Oscillating saws are the best thing since sliced bread. Because sliced bread doesn’t remove the adhesive they used to lock my drywall to studs. Seriously, that thing saves my sanity when remodeling here.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I use mine about twice a year, and when I do, it's the only tool that will do the job.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
The biggest difference I’ve seen is the cheap ones vibrate your hands much more. But given that an oscillating tool isn’t really used for extended periods it’s not a big issue. The Fein multimasters are especially smooth.

On the topic of oscillating saws, dont ever buy the blades in a store… get yourself a fifty pack for $25 on Amazon like these

https://www.amazon.com/Oscillating-...la-801032882771

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was trying to reglaze some metal windows with all kinds of rust and caulk and 50yr old, rock-hard glazing putty all over them and cussing and fussing and then I tried the OMT and it just zipped all that poo poo right off. It was magic and made me briefly consider reglazing the other 9 windows before I came to my senses.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I use mine about twice a year, and when I do, it's the only tool that will do the job.

This... Like when I was putting in flooring, was the best tool to trim the existing door trim just a little more so the flooring would fit. Or when I needed to cut a little bit of steel bar without putting it in a vise etc.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Oscillating saws are the best thing since sliced bread. Because sliced bread doesn’t remove the adhesive they used to lock my drywall to studs. Seriously, that thing saves my sanity when remodeling here.

That's load-bearing drywall.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrPete posted:

I like to call it the angry bee machine. Handy as gently caress when you need it, better options exist otherwise!

My dad never had vice grips in his toolboxes. Just.. wasn't a thing. If you needed to use a vice grip, you have the wrong tool. He's... not wrong. That said, for fathers day one year, I bought him a set of vice grips. The card said, "This is the wrong tool for every job." I got a good laugh out of him that year.

Funnily enough, when they installed the scooter lift in my grandmas car a few weeks earlier, they left a vice grip in there, so my dad already had one! And... he's a convert.

They're always the tool of last resort. But they're often the last tool I need to resort to. Two weeks ago, it was vice grips (and a drill bit..) that let me get a float valve seat out of a carb. Nothing else would have done short of drilling it out.

I think I've been convinced I need an occilating saw. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
vice grips are great for working on anything that you dgaf what happens to it in the process