Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
technically the internet is just a very very fast electronic postal service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean i get what they're saying (lol no furniture) but, so what

my best friend from childhood, who is an ER doc now, has a coworker friend who is also an ER doc.

said coworker’s house in TX has a mattress on the floor in a bedroom, an inflatable couch in the living room, and an ultrasound of his balls above the fireplace (which, I will admit, is p loving funny)

his garage is full of coke bottles of his piss b/c he’d drive down to Austin to do whatever and have to pee on the way home and just… kept it I guess.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

FMguru posted:

defector has an article up about the current redditpocalyspe and the final paragraph nicely summarized a lot of what this thread has talked about over the last dozen pages

https://defector.com/the-last-page-of-the-internet

This was a thought I've had rattling around in my head for a while and I never did put it down or elaborate on it, so I'm glad this article did it for me. It's the cycle man, we're inevitably going back to word of mouth invite-only communities, maybe even reinvent webrings after that. We're probably going to have to unlearn the need for quick info and answers, and go back to the actual source: real people with real knowledge, whether they're pros or hobbyists.

I'd almost say that the future is Discord - spend hours hunting down the servers that cater to your interests (where entry might require you to actually talk to people and have them point you in the right direction), read through and get to know the main names in there, and organically become part of a community where you give and take. I say almost, because it seems Discord's in its own enshittification process, so who knows, maybe we should go back to PHP forums.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Armitag3 posted:

This was a thought I've had rattling around in my head for a while and I never did put it down or elaborate on it, so I'm glad this article did it for me. It's the cycle man, we're inevitably going back to word of mouth invite-only communities, maybe even reinvent webrings after that. We're probably going to have to unlearn the need for quick info and answers, and go back to the actual source: real people with real knowledge, whether they're pros or hobbyists.

I'd almost say that the future is Discord - spend hours hunting down the servers that cater to your interests (where entry might require you to actually talk to people and have them point you in the right direction), read through and get to know the main names in there, and organically become part of a community where you give and take. I say almost, because it seems Discord's in its own enshittification process, so who knows, maybe we should go back to PHP forums.

irc rises again

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

my best friend from childhood, who is an ER doc now, has a coworker friend who is also an ER doc.

said coworker’s house in TX has a mattress on the floor in a bedroom, an inflatable couch in the living room, and an ultrasound of his balls above the fireplace (which, I will admit, is p loving funny)

his garage is full of coke bottles of his piss b/c he’d drive down to Austin to do whatever and have to pee on the way home and just… kept it I guess.

Working ER does something to people that they can never take back

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Carrier posted:

They should make pots that can be paid into by users for any subreddit over x size to cover costs

so broke i don't have a pot to post in

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Well, pee is stored in the bottles after all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

Just simple, free webhosting for everyone would change a lot.

but who would make these websites? is it an app?

e: it's not the 90s anymore, you don't teach high school kids how to make a web page, you teach high school kids how to make an app. of course everything behind that app means a dozen layers of hosted services, app stores, etc. that completely kill the notion of it being free/cheap and accessible

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 13, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Armitag3 posted:

like replacing twitter, this is another place where Facebook has all the parts (including php lol) and leverage to do this but instead is chasing low value pageviews from content farms, have no product vision on groups, and is more focused on upselling ‘boosts’ instead of features that’d make it useful

thank god zuck is spending tens of billions on the dumbest possible product area instead

(this also would build a big corpus of text to train off)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

but who would make these websites?

its u

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i can still crank out functional html/css in notepad, a site that will work to display content with no maintenance and no overhead, but that is a thing approximately no one has wanted in like 20 years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

also all the people who were gaga for instant pot five years ago are now gaga for air fryers

yeah i was talking to a friend the other day how air fryers like, seamlessly replaced the instant pot as the kitchen thing people won't shut up about that i don't really understand the utility of

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Expo70 posted:

Working ER does something to people that they can never take back

basically any hospital based residency does that to people

ER continues to be its own thing past that though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1668361057792929792

im sure if zuck dumps another $35bn into metaverse r&d he can get that total revenue up to four figures!

gotta spend money to make money donchaknow

from the qts

https://twitter.com/ImpossibleScott/status/1668544924642336769

"using our creation tools should be as unpleasant as using blender" is a weird design goal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blender has a great ui fit for purpose

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah idk how to use blender personally but everyone i know who uses it seems pretty pleased with it once they're over the initial learning curve

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

ask me about my 8-point plan to get the post office to provide basic web hosting, email service, masto instances for every congressional district, and other simple, vital IT infra to every american.

i'm on board with this.

same way libraries added services when optical media came out, then when e-readers came out. the basic needs for communication have changed and the gov should provide new services to cover that.

unfortunately they'll also have to carry don's lovely white nationalism webpage and email newsletters. but in the olden days they'd have to carry his physical newsletters so :shrug:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pretend i posted the apartment from true detective s1 here

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

pretend i posted the apartment from true detective s1 here

that first season was really good. 2nd season not so much.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i made a neocities account a while ago but haven’t done anything with it yet. gotta crack open notepad and make some stuff.

gonna catalog the flora/fauna at my local duck pond.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FMguru posted:

defector has an article up about the current redditpocalyspe and the final paragraph nicely summarized a lot of what this thread has talked about over the last dozen pages

https://defector.com/the-last-page-of-the-internet

also all the people who were gaga for instant pot five years ago are now gaga for air fryers

pareene of all people should know where to point people to go in this situation :colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm sorry i offended the blender hive. i'm listening and learning.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AlbertFlasher posted:

that first season was really good. 2nd season not so much.

i think it’s better than it’s reputation. colin farrell is always fun and the ending of the second season is better than the first. there’s some fun California history stuff to chew on in it which I liked. never watched the third season.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i mean following up southern gothic sex crime horror with a rail corridor right of way dispute is gonna lose some people. definitely different feel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i mean following up southern gothic sex crime horror with a rail corridor right of way dispute is gonna lose some people. definitely different feel.

i didn't know ayn rand wrote a gothic sex crime horror before atlas shrugged

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

post hole digger posted:

i think it’s better than it’s reputation. colin farrell is always fun and the ending of the second season is better than the first. there’s some fun California history stuff to chew on in it which I liked. never watched the third season.

The thing that I remember most from season 2 was vince vaughan's stupid line where he says "blue balls in my heart" or some poo poo like that

I completely forgot that colin farrell was in it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm not sure what "fun" creation tools would look like, I mean, this ain't mario maker

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

letting people show up to standup as anime or furry characters

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

billions of dollars to finally get to parity with second life, but still never able to get more DAU than them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

I'm imagining a parallel universe where Microsoft bought vrchat in response to meta's metaverse thingy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a bunch of people at last job's work slack had anime avatars so if we did a meeting on slack with everyone's mics off it was basically that experience sure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that just reminded me lol, one contractor dude who only worked with us for maybe two weeks showed his screen at one point to demonstrate a problem he was having in the IDE, and he had installed a bunch of really weird IDE plugins including one that put this particular anime girl all over the ui including a big semitransparent one in the corner of the editor window. showing this to business people didn't phase him at all, it was like it wasn't even there to him.

i later found out that was the titular little sister from the anime where the little sister can't possibly be this cute, which made it so much worse

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

that just reminded me lol, one contractor dude who only worked with us for maybe two weeks showed his screen at one point to demonstrate a problem he was having in the IDE, and he had installed a bunch of really weird IDE plugins including one that put this particular anime girl all over the ui including a big semitransparent one in the corner of the editor window. showing this to business people didn't phase him at all, it was like it wasn't even there to him.

i later found out that was the titular little sister from the anime where the little sister can't possibly be this cute, which made it so much worse

lol was his cursor a little sword too?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BMan posted:

I'm not sure what "fun" creation tools would look like, I mean, this ain't mario maker

maybe it could look like mario maker?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

lol was his cursor a little sword too?

no but i'm just gonna assume that's cuz the screen capture couldn't handle it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

but who would make these websites? is it an app?

the same thing that made the websites before: MS Frontpage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MS notepad :getin:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this bubble is infating faster than any seen before, perhaps thanks to the intelligent power of large language models to make the most optimized pitch decks ever seen?

quote:

A French start-up founded four weeks ago by a trio of former Meta and Google artificial intelligence researchers has raised $113.3 million in Europe's largest-ever seed round. From a report: Mistral AI's first round of financing values the Paris-based concern at $259 million, including the funds raised, according to people close to the company.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

the same thing that made the websites before: MS Frontpage

unfortunately, ms frontpage is not a person.

my point is no kid or in fact anyone born in the last 20 years is going to make a "website". they don't use websites, they have no connection to them, interest in them, or nostalgia for them.

it's essentially a dead medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlbertFlasher posted:

The thing that I remember most from season 2 was vince vaughan's stupid line where he says "blue balls in my heart" or some poo poo like that

I completely forgot that colin farrell was in it.

is that a loving e cigarette?