Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's like a medieval fantasy minus the fantasy!!

Well, I mean. Minus the conventional fantasy. I think a bit of quick calculation by someone in the old F&F thread calculated that you could create some pretty fantastical scenarios with the space-and-matter-violating feats available to "realistic English mudfarmer" PC's after a couple of levels..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Rolling a cartload of barrels down a hill with a force like splitting the atom.

O god there was something horrifying with birds too. drat it what was it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Xiahou Dun posted:

There was a feat that let you teach animals any non-combat skill, which means you could make an economy based on birds or teach a bird to be your lawyer. I think there was also a slightly unclear thing on whether you could teach animals feats which, if allowed, would turn the whole thing into batshit insanity.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think it was some kind of navigation skill that was a flat adder to their speed. Somebody bugging you? Send a hundred trained birds to "help them along" right into the ocean.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PurpleXVI posted:

There was a feat that let you teach animals any non-combat skill, which means you could make an economy based on birds or teach a bird to be your lawyer. I think there was also a slightly unclear thing on whether you could teach animals feats which, if allowed, would turn the whole thing into batshit insanity.
Reading the goldmined F&F review of Middenard, with its squadrons of trained lawyer sparrows who can sneak up on unsuspecting shitfarmers adventurers and instantly accelerate them to escape velocity like they were fired from a railgun, has made my morning.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

I think it was some kind of navigation skill that was a flat adder to their speed. Somebody bugging you? Send a hundred trained birds to "help them along" right into the ocean.

It was a multiplier. I think it was calculated that seventeen people or so with that skill could take a walk with you and normal walking speed would be multiplied into escape velocity. If it was also teachable to animals... "go forth, my pigeon minions, and launch him to the moon when he's taking an afternoon walk in the sun."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, no...

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

We're running into this in the new L5R edition, where dogs have a special ability to give skilled aid in any one trade skill... which includes Seafaring, Skulduggery, and Commerce. Your dog can help you do crimes and help sell slightly used horses.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

We're running into this in the new L5R edition, where dogs have a special ability to give skilled aid in any one trade skill... which includes Seafaring, Skulduggery, and Commerce. Your dog can help you do crimes and help sell slightly used horses.

This rules and like, you COULD argue for all those.

Seafaring? The dog helps chase down vermin on the ship so your supplies are better and you can focus on work.
Skulduggery? The dog could keep an eye on guards or distract them by being a good pupper.
Commerce? The dog helps soften people's defenses, making looks at them sadly when they consider not making a buy, and you can morosely comment that wow, if they don't buy this used horse you might have to put down your dog to be able to pay the bills... very sad...

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

1E L5R had Unicorn bushi at rank 1 able to add their Horsemanship skill to any rolls made while riding a horse. That led to the original "tea ceremonies on horseback!" memes, but something like taking a leisurely ride so you can gain inspiration for your next poem is just Cool. 5E's core ability for Outriders is more subdued, which is made up by the absolutely bonkers capstone ability at rank 6 where you can just summon your horse from literally anywhere, in any circumstance. Middle of the battlefield? Horse is there. Tea ceremony you don't want to be in? Horse comes pick you up. Prisoner in a tall mountain fortress? Horse waltzes into the dungeons. Horse was killed, chopped up, and sent to the glue factory in front of your very eyes? Horse's spirit possesses the nearest horse, becomes it, and shows up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, no, that owns. That absolutely owns. Good. More of that.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I absolutely feel the energy drain from passive players. The ones who insist they're having fun but show up and do nothing every session. It's much harder to deal with than other "disruptive behavior" because there's no smoking gun you can point to in order to build consensus that someone's gotta go. It's a lot easier to kick someone whose behavior is outright bad, versus just not very good.

But I've also had cases where it was bad enough that other players also felt their life force ebbing and flat out refused to play with the culprit in the room.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There’s passive players and zilchplayers. Zilchplayers are very, very difficult to deal with and are usually in bad places themselves.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, I've actually got to agree: There's GOOD passive players and BAD passive players. For me a good passive player is one who might not have much going on with their character roleplay-wise or who doesn't really seek to actively engage with the plot but will engage in a satisfactory manner if prompted and is generally fun to have around on an interpersonal level. A bad passive player is one who is just completely disconnected from the game, or needs to have everything the DM says repeated for them because they weren't paying attention, or they're on their phone the entire time the game is running or, perhaps worst of all, they're constantly having unrelated, out of game conversations with other players while stuff is going on in the game.

In my experience the first type of player you can usually work with by either taking a little bit of extra initiative to involve them in the action, or to understand that they're generally satisfied with playing support to the other, more proactive players. The second variety is the one that can be a real problem for a group.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Traveller posted:

1E L5R had Unicorn bushi at rank 1 able to add their Horsemanship skill to any rolls made while riding a horse. That led to the original "tea ceremonies on horseback!" memes, but something like taking a leisurely ride so you can gain inspiration for your next poem is just Cool. 5E's core ability for Outriders is more subdued, which is made up by the absolutely bonkers capstone ability at rank 6 where you can just summon your horse from literally anywhere, in any circumstance. Middle of the battlefield? Horse is there. Tea ceremony you don't want to be in? Horse comes pick you up. Prisoner in a tall mountain fortress? Horse waltzes into the dungeons. Horse was killed, chopped up, and sent to the glue factory in front of your very eyes? Horse's spirit possesses the nearest horse, becomes it, and shows up.

It was easily houseruled but one of the Unicorn bushi classes (Battle Maidens?) in one edition only got their second attack while on horseback.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hm.

https://particula-tech.com/shop/godice-d20-connected/

quote:

GoDice D20 Connected

The D20 Connected, is the first smart and connected RPG die. Finally! Your ultimate choice for your next online adventure.

Connect your GoDice D20 to your favorite online platform, toss the die, and get instant automatic results. Enjoy the haptic feel of rolling your own real dice, while playing online. GoRPG Web Extension, integrates D20 Connected with most popular RPG online platforms: Roll20, FoundryVTT, Discord. Compatible with Chrome.

D20 Connected has a premium design of a classic RPG die, packed with cool tech – Bluetooth, 3D sensors, 10 second charging, and a colorful light system, to track and calculate your rolls instantly on your platform of choice. It’s a “magical” GoDice D6 smart die shelled in a Polyhedral shell (20 faces).

$40-$50. Would you use it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If someone isn't fitting your group and actively making your prep or sessions harder and into something you dread you're under no obligation to let them vibe just because they're the Good bad energy type instead of the Bad bad energy type. I know no one here is really suggesting you must keep these people around but basically instantly after the OP showed up the question shifted from "does anyone else find this hard to deal with?" to possible explanations of why someone might actually be happy doing nothing, and I wanted to say that I definitely agree with talking to them and possibly removing them if things don't improve. That doesn't make it easy to do but it's your leisure time.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

This sounds dumb in exactly the kind of way that will either bankrupt everyone involved or become the go to gift for anyone who has family members who know you play but don't really get it

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I’m holding out for this guy: https://gamewithpixels.com

It’s one of those Kickstarters that over-succeeded which leads to production problems but the updates are reasonably frequent and I think he’ll get product out eventually. If he does, the quality should be good and I’ll buy them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Use? Yes. Pay 40 dollars for? No.

Ominous Jazz posted:

This sounds dumb in exactly the kind of way that will either bankrupt everyone involved or become the go to gift for anyone who has family members who know you play but don't really get it
I am going to end up with at least one of these by Dec 26th and I think I'm OK with that? It seems like a fun gimmick.

My big issue is having one expensive die and whoops lol it's biased.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 13, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Player Management (figuring what the players are actually invested in, and not what they say they're invested in) is one of the hardest goddamn things to learn as a GM Even the fact that it's a thing is not something that jumps out to most people.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I think the gm has too much homework to do out of game time for most systems and then you add managing interpersonal drama and its exhausting

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

It is certainly exhausting, although I haven't found a system where that isn't true, yet. Including the newer ones that tell me not to do homework.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That’s why when I agree to GM that the group as a whole can delegate out others to be in charge of schedules, snacks, hosting location, taking notes/session recaps, etc.

It’s a good test since groups unwilling to share those roles are more likely to also flake out as players.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Countblanc posted:

If someone isn't fitting your group and actively making your prep or sessions harder and into something you dread you're under no obligation to let them vibe just because they're the Good bad energy type instead of the Bad bad energy type. I know no one here is really suggesting you must keep these people around but basically instantly after the OP showed up the question shifted from "does anyone else find this hard to deal with?" to possible explanations of why someone might actually be happy doing nothing, and I wanted to say that I definitely agree with talking to them and possibly removing them if things don't improve. That doesn't make it easy to do but it's your leisure time.

O word. It’s a leisure activity and you can and should do what you want. If Dave is a drip, Dave can play somewhere else.

I was just trying to underscore that effective and honest communication should probably be the first step. If Dave is your actual friend and you want to hang out with him, it’s better to have a conversation about how you both want to play than assuming Dave just is a bad player and kicking him right away.

Sorry to any Daves in the thread.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

KingKalamari posted:

In my experience the first type of player you can usually work with by either taking a little bit of extra initiative to involve them in the action, or to understand that they're generally satisfied with playing support to the other, more proactive players. The second variety is the one that can be a real problem for a group.

I've tried to elaborate experiences with the second one, which doesn't seem to be considered much in theory, and come up with:

• Attached who play because they have to in order to stay with the group, and they have nobody else.
  • Dealers who are toughing out this session/game/campaign in order to have their turn doing what they'd like next time.
  • Invested who have invested so much of themselves in the RPG hobby that they can't face the sunk costs and acceptance involved in stopping playing.
  • The Ouija Boarder who plays in the hope that that one amazing thing that happened spontaneously that one time will happen again.
  • The Lynchpin who is the host/organizer/rulemaster etc. and either enjoys the feeling of being needed or doesn't want to disrupt the group by leaving.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I've actually got to agree: There's GOOD passive players and BAD passive players. For me a good passive player is one who might not have much going on with their character roleplay-wise or who doesn't really seek to actively engage with the plot but will engage in a satisfactory manner if prompted and is generally fun to have around on an interpersonal level. A bad passive player is one who is just completely disconnected from the game, or needs to have everything the DM says repeated for them because they weren't paying attention, or they're on their phone the entire time the game is running or, perhaps worst of all, they're constantly having unrelated, out of game conversations with other players while stuff is going on in the game.

To add to this a lot of newbies start out as good passive players who want to contribute but aren't sure how to and don't want to mess things up.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Anyone have any good recs on where to procure metal dice? I'm specifically hoping to find large (25mm or more) metal D6s and I'm not sure if I just need to bite the bullet and trawl Etsy. Is there an active dice thread I might've missed?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's an older dice thread that nobody has posted in since 2022
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981403
but I think it'd be fine to resurrect it to ask about dice if you wanted

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What was the name of that high energy re-skinned science fantasy themed version of D&D that was on FATAL and Friends last year?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Spellpunk Cyberfight.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Lynn The Scoundrel

Lynn Feroe, called “Lynn the Scoundrel'' by his detractors, was born into a pampered existence as the recognized bastard son of his upper class father. He is a well-known habitual gambler with a fondness for drink and women. Devilishly handsome and charming, Lynn has broken the heart of many a young lady. An arrogant man full of flair with a talent for the dramatic, Lynn makes a point of always proving himself right. Lynn is always the first to jump at the chance to defend the honor of a lady in combat. This has led him to be thought of as self-righteous by some. He holds his personal honor in very high-esteem and is quick to defend himself against any and all slander. It is wise to never trust a word out of Lynn Feroe’s mouth as he is a braggart and a compulsive liar. Although not without his flaws, Lynn’s heart can be said to be set in the right place and he can often be seen protecting the helpless and defenseless from unfair malice and injustice. Whilst he may be a little out of touch, Lynn considers himself as a hero of the disenfranchised and shows great passion and determination when doing what he believes to be right.

--Is the character I have written here a good example of the Chaotic Good alignment? (Basically what I was going for when I wrote him)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that's fine

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Good, I was hoping that some of his negative qualities I gave him wouldn't be so morally ambiguous it puts him at CN.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much: At the end of the day the actual boundaries between spaces on the alignment chart are ephemeral at best and the qualities of "Good/Evil" and "Law/Chaos" are often so vague that one classify a given character anywhere on the chart based on how individual interpretation.

I tend to think it best to view alignment as descriptive rather than proscriptive if you plan to use it at all. Basically "Chaotic Good" is a quick shorthand to let other players know what sort of vibe you're going for with your character, but you should focus more on the specifics of how you want to represent that philosophy at the table rather than trying to pigeonhole your characters actions to fit a predetermined alignment.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Alignment in most games is like those little legs that snakes sometimes get. It's a vestigial in a way you don't really gotta engage with

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Totally agree on alignment being more descriptive than proscriptive. You could also take it as a "spiritual alignment", reflecting the character's faction in the unseen wars of the gods. In that case, a Chaotic Neutral character is advancing the positions of the gods of Chaos, and they don't affect the war of Good vs Evil gods. The character may be knowing or unknowing of the role they play: a kind and morally rigid paladin could be Chaotic Evil if they serve Shar. The alignment is just an alias for the faction of gods a character serves.

Anyway, alignment is not a big deal. There's more important things to worry about, like if your character has 6 fingers on their left hand, or if they have a lisp.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Law and Chaos are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Chaos throws way better parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

whydirt posted:

Chaos throws way better parties

Yeah but who knows when.