Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My money's on field pumpkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
These tomatoes are already taking advantage of me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are vining zucchini because of course there are, but that's not what I'd expect from a self-seeded plant. This one's going to be a slot machine: cucurbits loooove to cross-pollinate and make weird new fruit. I hope this one is nifty; it's a gorgeous plant.

By my count there are five separate plants:

The two in that photo that have coalesced into a single mound of healthy vegetation, one over by the blueberries that has a long main vine making one hell of a break for it, one behind a random shed with massive leaves due to the shade, and one in the compost pile and extremely pleased about the nutrient situation.

The soil in this garden is absurd, it really is. The tomatoes I planted 30 days ago are at hip height and have set several fruit on each plant:

I'll have to be sure to keep up the annual compost and hay amendments.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, suggestions for how to set up these pumpkins moving forward? Posting the Twitter link because it’s easier to upload a photo. Plenty of room all around them.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1668300601120239625?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pumpkins don't grow up; they spread out sideways. There are a lot of cucurbits you can train up a trellis/string (cucumbers, gourds, a few squash) but pumpkins are waayyy too heavy to support their own weight.

On the ground, just let them floop in some direction or other. They'll figure it out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pumpkins don't grow up; they spread out sideways.

like goons

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah in my experience pumpkins uh... don't need a lot of help.

poo poo I still have four fruits in my basement from last year. Prolific SOBs.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hoping that by keeping it in water, I can prevent this mint from taking over.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pumpkins don't grow up; they spread out sideways. There are a lot of cucurbits you can train up a trellis/string (cucumbers, gourds, a few squash) but pumpkins are waayyy too heavy to support their own weight.

On the ground, just let them floop in some direction or other. They'll figure it out.

Okay. I just didn’t know if I needed to train it one way or another. I saw the tendrils and was like “oh god give him guidance.”

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

“oh god give him guidance.”

That plant will let you know where it would like to go.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Go check your batteries on your timers. Mine was not dead enough that the screen stopped displaying the time or next watering but was dead enough to prevent the valve from opening. Pepper plant was trying to tell me something I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. Hope all is not lost

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

B33rChiller posted:

Hoping that by keeping it in water, I can prevent this mint from taking over.

I've got mine in a pot to keep it separate. This is Mint Piggy.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I recently picked up a lemon tree for my apartment, got it replanted into a new pot and it seemed to be doing really well on my patio, lots of new growth in only a couple of weeks. I noticed a couple of days ago some of the new leaves started sagging and looking really sad, but everything else seems ok. I found some posts online saying this was pretty common with new growth on lemon trees but I don’t want to stress the plant. Should I bring it back inside for the really hot summer months (I’m in south Texas) until it gets a little more settled in the new pot?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aragosta posted:

I've got mine in a pot to keep it separate. This is Mint Piggy.

hehehehehehe Mint Piggy.
A pot, and gravel separating from other soils looks like a good idea.
tbh, I wouldn't mind if mint decided to take a run at taking on the hyper aggressive invasives around here.
Does it have what it takes to defeat Himalayan blackberry AND morning glory?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've got a huge pot of some terrifying mystery mint and morning glories coming out of my ears.

I believe a grudge match is in order.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you goons use the pumpkins you grow?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Old Ganon posted:

I grow tiny (grapefruit sized) pumpkins and I make curries, soups, and roasts out of em.

E. And stir fry. And baked goods.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pumpkin bread, curry and chili over here.

Or just roast it and eat it straight.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I added pumpkin to some goat curry last winter and it was really good. Some pumpkin would probably do ok in a chili too.

Mostly it gets used in pumpkin bread or fed to my chickens and goats.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

spaced ninja posted:

I recently picked up a lemon tree for my apartment, got it replanted into a new pot and it seemed to be doing really well on my patio, lots of new growth in only a couple of weeks. I noticed a couple of days ago some of the new leaves started sagging and looking really sad, but everything else seems ok. I found some posts online saying this was pretty common with new growth on lemon trees but I don’t want to stress the plant. Should I bring it back inside for the really hot summer months (I’m in south Texas) until it gets a little more settled in the new pot?

My lemon does that too. If it's already been out there for weeks in the new pot it's probably acclimated enough to just stay there unless by hot you mean like 100F

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My super rough memory of why that happens: Leaves lose a lot of water in high heat, so they close their stomata to conserve it. That interrupts the turgor pressure that would normally keep them upright. Newer leaves have less structure, so they have a more pronounced reaction. It's usually only a sign of a problem if they stay wilted once the heat has passed in the evening.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Joburg posted:

I added pumpkin to some goat curry last winter and it was really good. Some pumpkin would probably do ok in a chili too.

Mostly it gets used in pumpkin bread or fed to my chickens and goats.

Pumpkin puree in chili is a delicious way to add some depth and thicken it up. Highly recommend.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

"I'll plant a little catnip for the cat" has quickly turned into "holy poo poo what do I do with all this catnip WTF". I'm pretty sure I couldn't kill this thing if I wanted to. Thankfully I had the foresight to put it in a planter.

... and it turns out said cat won't even eat it. :negative:

In more positive news, the basil I planted is finally starting to thrive after a really slow start and the loss of its sibling plant. Between that and a frankly obscene amount of oregano growing, I've got some tasty meals ahead of me.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

PokeJoe posted:

My lemon does that too. If it's already been out there for weeks in the new pot it's probably acclimated enough to just stay there unless by hot you mean like 100F

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My super rough memory of why that happens: Leaves lose a lot of water in high heat, so they close their stomata to conserve it. That interrupts the turgor pressure that would normally keep them upright. Newer leaves have less structure, so they have a more pronounced reaction. It's usually only a sign of a problem if they stay wilted once the heat has passed in the evening.

Thank you! That makes me feel better, I do also try to move it into some shade during the peak heat during the day.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Help! My Hibiscus appears to be dying! It's leaves are yellowing and dying!

I've been watering it every other day, and fertilizing 1/week.

It was doing fine until late last week!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

"I'll plant a little catnip for the cat" has quickly turned into "holy poo poo what do I do with all this catnip WTF". I'm pretty sure I couldn't kill this thing if I wanted to. Thankfully I had the foresight to put it in a planter.

... and it turns out said cat won't even eat it. :negative:

Try catnip tea. It’s pretty good and your cat might like it too.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Joburg posted:

This. It's supposed to help make you sleepy and it tastes pretty good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Annath posted:

Help! My Hibiscus appears to be dying! It's leaves are yellowing and dying!

I've been watering it every other day, and fertilizing 1/week.

It was doing fine until late last week!

Can you put up pictures of the top and bottom of one leaf?

One thing I notice is that the plant looks to have outgrown its pot; the root ball is much tinier than the horizontal spread of the leaves.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Joburg posted:

Schmeichy posted:

This. It's supposed to help make you sleepy and it tastes pretty good

I'll give it a shot! No issues sleeping but I like tea so if it tastes good I'm down.

That said, I did try eating part of a leaf straight and it was... very green tasting.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would growing a pumpkin vine be feasible in a five gallon bucket?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That Old Ganon posted:

The vet recommended pumpkin puree for our oldest dog years ago when she had digestive issues. We started growing sugar jacks (small pie pumpkins) so we could can and freeze our own because pure unsweetened puree is expensive and hard to find in the winter. 1-2 plants per dog for a tablespoon of puree each night with a bit extra for pumpkin pies and muffins.

We prefer Kabocha squash for human consumption, mainly curried, roasted and in soups. If properly cured they will last for a year on a shelf at room temperature although around this time of year the skin gets tough and you have to discard it after cooking rather than eating it.

effika posted:

Pumpkin puree in chili is a delicious way to add some depth and thicken it up. Highly recommend.

Oohh, next pot of chili is going to have some Kabocha in it.

That Old Ganon posted:

Would growing a pumpkin vine be feasible in a five gallon bucket?

Don't see why not. They're heavy feeders and big plants so you'll have to pay attention to watering and fertilizing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Witness my incredible gardening self-own. I tied my mammoth sunflower to a support pole using twine. But I failed to notice it was too tight and the stem grew around the twine. Then a nice wind came along and knocked it over clean.

I garroted my mammoth.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I have been asked to come move the mulch made from about an eight food wide tree and like...

Yay free hardwood mulch... Boo no volunteers to come help move this poo poo.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

CommonShore posted:

E. And stir fry.

I am dying to hear a pumpkin stir fry recipe, that sounds really cool

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Farchanter posted:

I am dying to hear a pumpkin stir fry recipe, that sounds really cool

I don't really have any recipe. Just cut it thin and throw it in with anything after letting it heat through. It's basically a 1:1 substitute for kabocha squash, which I also planted this year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess what I'm saying is that once you get used to the idea of just throwing it into stuff pumpkin is not really more difficult to use up than anything else

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone here ever do a greenhouse? I'm looking at one that basically needs electrical rewired and new thermostats and possibly new screw motors to attach to those, not sure how big of a lift it'll be.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So I recently sanded down and oiled a wooden bench that my partner had inherited somewhere down the line, and now I’m hoping to encourage lichen to grow on it. Google turns up some british blog that suggests I blitz some up with powdered buttermilk and, uh, sheep manure.

Any less farming intensive suggestions? I mean, I could use dog manure, but that’s not things I want going in the blender.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do you have lichen already in your yard? Blitz that up with the Buttermilk and paint it on the bench. Then let the blender soak in a vinegar water solution for an hour and you'll be fine. The lichen will grow faster in a damp environment so a mist sprayer or carefully getting the bench damp daily will speed things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Do you have lichen already in your yard? Blitz that up with the Buttermilk and paint it on the bench. Then let the blender soak in a vinegar water solution for an hour and you'll be fine. The lichen will grow faster in a damp environment so a mist sprayer or carefully getting the bench damp daily will speed things up.

Sick, thank you!