Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

This reminds me of Major General Stanley to the Constabulary: "You don't though?"

I'm such a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The duration of winter and the sheer volume of snowfall it gets would make it unlivable. Smaller and even mid-sized plants would be crushed and smothered by the weight of the dozens of feet of snow that builds up and even larger trees that somehow seeded and grew for decades between winters would die out due to being frozen and deprived of sunlight for years.

Buildings would need to be constructed with magic or extremely impressive levels of engineering because a few feet of snow can collapse a modern building's roof. Some peasant hovel with a thatch roof is beyond hosed. Houses would need to be bunkers because if the snow can get as deep as Winterfall's outer walls then it's too deep to just keep your roof cleared off and free of all that weight.

Mole Town would die in winter, full stop. Underground town in an area with snowfall that makes Buffalo look like Death Valley? You'd better have some magic fungus and cave plants down there to purify and move the air otherwise you suffocate after the snow plugs up all your vents since IIRC, there's no mention of the place having entrances built into steep hillsides or cliffs that would remain free of snow but rather dug straight into the ground as if GRRM had tried Dwarf Fortress for 5 minutes and thought "ah yes, dig straight down and everything is fine."

The best part about when someone like GRRM (or Rothfuss :lmao:) get praise for their excellent world-building is that more often than not, the world they made is a completely jumbled mess of nonsense that doesn't even try to play the "it's magic, I ain't got to explain poo poo" card, let alone play it effectively.

"Nobody can really remember the last long winter and there's a tendency to exaggerate how harsh they are so the smallfolk feel grateful to the nobles for feeding them " boom done.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Does anyone still care about these books? Both in the thread and in the world I mean

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean, on some level yeah. But my knowledge of the world has atrophied very hard since the show wrapped because I realized it’s all poo poo. The books still hold a place in my heart it’s just part with sclerosis

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
define "care"

e: in only a few words and with no references to current or former NFL seasons please

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 11, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Blue Raider posted:

Does anyone still care about these books? Both in the thread and in the world I mean

i do OP

but i cope by running a ttrpg game thats basically fanfiction so

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’m genuinely curious because I read the books and watched the show, but it dropped out of the zeitgeist like a stone. I never hear a word about the next books out of anyone.

House of the Dragon is there, but it seems to be succeeding in spite of it being a tie in for the show

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I do, because I am a fool. I even made a meme about it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blue Raider posted:

Personally I dont, really. I might end up reading them if they ever come out, but I might as well read a summary too cause frankly I already didn’t enjoyed the last two and I have the feeling whatever he manages to put out after all this time will probably even worst

I’m here because I’m fascinated by the phenomenon of this man not writing his magnus opus while he keeps promising he is almost there and workin on anything else but that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don’t really care anymore, but I’ll definitely read them if they ever do because I like reading books, so why not.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
At the other hand, maybe the next book would be better than last 2 because to be any possibility of finishing that huge story in one or even 2 more books, he’s got to stop loving around and start resolving stuff instead of introducing new characters and plot threads and describing endless trips with all the details nobody asked for

But can he do that? I think if he could the books would be the stores some years ago

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 11, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I’m here because I’m fascinated by the phenomenon of this man not writing his magnus opus while he keeps promising he is almost there and workin on anything else but that

The Zeno's Paradox of literature

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

mossyfisk posted:

Sad to see so many brains rotted by the disease of "world building".

A novel doesn't have to be realistic.

Of course not. But if a guy literally says his books are based on details like 'what is Aragorn's tax policy?' then he has welcomed the critiques

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you're the king it's a bad idea to hire the guy named "King Slayer" as your body guard imo.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
How many kings can you slay, though, statistically? Isn't a guy who's gotten it out of his system less likely to do it?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

It's also a lot easier to get past when you think the guy slayed the other king on your own behalf.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

81sidewinder posted:

How many kings can you slay, though, statistically? Isn't a guy who's gotten it out of his system less likely to do it?

King Baratheon, a guy who's slayed lots of kings is less likely to hurt you than a guy whose slayed kings supplies are low!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"But you slay ONE king..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cersei slayed more kings than anyone, and it’s not even close.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

81sidewinder posted:

Of course not. But if a guy literally says his books are based on details like 'what is Aragorn's tax policy?' then he has welcomed the critiques

it is pretty funny that if you read carefully tolkien had thought in much more detail about the political economy and logistics of gondor than gurm managed for even a single one of the seven kingdoms

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
What Tolkien worked out really well was travel times to such a fine-toothed point that crazy nerds on YouTube can figure out what would happen day-by-day if Gandalf got the One Ring and decided to take THIS route over THAT route and so on. It's pretty wild.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Because Tolkien was a huge nerd for details. He came up with Middle Earth to give his invented languages a world to stand in.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah Tolkien is like the one singular example of "good worldbuilding" that keeps coming up. He was literally a uni professor and had literally been in a war himself so if that's the standard we're setting there's not much hope for all the other authors.

Like yeah any fantasy world other than Tolkien will have some stuff that doesn't really make sense, some lazy pop culture drop-ins, some vibes based kingdoms, that's just how it is.

It's still fun to nitpick stuff, because come on, an 800 foot high ice wall?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I hate to be the Gurm defender and I do repeat myself a lot itt but then again it seems like we mostly enjoy having the same discussions over and over again I mean we are goons in the bad thread so sorry but...

this criticism of Gurm trying to be 'the realistic tolkein' is really misguided, even when you read gurms critique of tolkein it's obvious he is not 'bothered' by any unnatural elements or the fantasy of the setting, he is bothered by the mostly 'flat' characters, he is bothered by this being the prototype for D&D where characters seemingly have a moral alignment, you know aragorn will do the good thing cause he's a good guy, and you know that the logic of the story is such that doing good things will ultimately lead to good results. Gurm wanted a world where the characters are plagued by uncertainty the same way people in the real world are, where the moral choice is not always the one that will lead to good results, and where the characters 'realistically' deal with this poo poo, the wall isn't realistic, Jon standing on top of it and his mind is wandering all over the place conflicted about his role in society is, that is why I also defend gurms 'scale issues' all the time, they are stylistically very cool, gurm's world can't be faulted for its aesthetics, it really achieves all it sets out to do, other than tell a single finished story that is

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cormac McCarthy is dead and the fat fucker is alive. this is the world we live in

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Cormac McCarthy is dead and the fat fucker is alive. this is the world we live in

He was 89, so he beat the average pretty handily.

If GRRM makes it to 89 I will no doubt lose my mind even further than I already have.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Platystemon posted:

Cersei slayed more kings than anyone, and it’s not even close.

Well, princes.

Sticky princes.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I hate to be the Gurm defender and I do repeat myself a lot itt but then again it seems like we mostly enjoy having the same discussions over and over again I mean we are goons in the bad thread so sorry but...

this criticism of Gurm trying to be 'the realistic tolkein' is really misguided, even when you read gurms critique of tolkein it's obvious he is not 'bothered' by any unnatural elements or the fantasy of the setting, he is bothered by the mostly 'flat' characters, he is bothered by this being the prototype for D&D where characters seemingly have a moral alignment, you know aragorn will do the good thing cause he's a good guy, and you know that the logic of the story is such that doing good things will ultimately lead to good results. Gurm wanted a world where the characters are plagued by uncertainty the same way people in the real world are, where the moral choice is not always the one that will lead to good results, and where the characters 'realistically' deal with this poo poo, the wall isn't realistic, Jon standing on top of it and his mind is wandering all over the place conflicted about his role in society is, that is why I also defend gurms 'scale issues' all the time, they are stylistically very cool, gurm's world can't be faulted for its aesthetics, it really achieves all it sets out to do, other than tell a single finished story that is

100% agreed. I don’t care how realistic or scalable or whatever the height of the wall is or the population of the North is in comparison to its arable land, just if things make sense in the context of the world and are relatively consistent - which they are! People react to things in a way I would expect, armies don’t magically grow or shrink depending on the needs of the plot, and the same can be said of travel distance or whatever. All of that was broken in the show, which was a contributor to a feeling of weightlessness and meaninglessness in the last season.

GRRM is a great world builder. The world is super compelling. He just needs to write the drat story.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how when Jaime killed the king and sat down after because he was tired, he picked the most uncomfortable seat possible that just stabs everyone who tries to sit in it

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's at the top of a flight of stairs and he was wearing armour, I'm sure he was fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mike N Eich posted:

100% agreed. I don’t care how realistic or scalable or whatever the height of the wall is or the population of the North is in comparison to its arable land, just if things make sense in the context of the world and are relatively consistent - which they are! People react to things in a way I would expect, armies don’t magically grow or shrink depending on the needs of the plot, and the same can be said of travel distance or whatever. All of that was broken in the show, which was a contributor to a feeling of weightlessness and meaninglessness in the last season.

GRRM is a great world builder. The world is super compelling. He just needs to write the drat story.

Same. The world building is what kept me going

The problem is that he aint so good at actually writing a good story in that world

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk, american tolkien is kind of an exaggeration but 1-3 are still pretty good

Germ’s love of food and tiddies aside

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Who doesn’t love food and titties tho? it’s like the great equalizer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

can't believe that george ronald reagan martin didn't have jon snow say mr night king'll tear down this wall

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
this is so random but I was watching a youtube video about Tremorsfest 2023 and GRRM makes an appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bQD9zLX2k&t=830s

Apparently he's a big Tremors fan and helped put on the festival. They say he is Santa Fe neighbors with actor Michael Gross and they have lots of talks about trains.

lol.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A series that hasn't been relevant in years. I can see why he'd be a fan.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

McCarthy even managed to finish off the novel he'd been working on for 30 years just before he popped off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A series that hasn't been relevant in years. I can see why he'd be a fan.

Only because the Kevin Bacon series didn't get picked up.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Just started checking the forum after a few years of hiatus. Has the tub of lard done anything of note since making the two last seasons of GoT as bad as the two last books of aSoIaF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
no