Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I want to hear more about Zuckerberg's combat walkers

Are we talking Chappys or ED-209s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You guys are very weird to think this is an example of Alex losing it. This is Alex doing his normal work in the most comfortable studio he's ever had.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Did yOU know that microwaving your veggies kills ALL the vitamins and minerals in them?? I wrote ALL about it in my book, Roseannearchy, about deprogramming kids from that Harry Potter bullshit!!

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ILL Machina posted:

You guys are very weird to think this is an example of Alex losing it. This is Alex doing his normal work in the most comfortable studio he's ever had.

I wonder how long he’ll be welcome though. He’s doing such normal work he was doing a “I love the crew” bit directed at steven’s guys on Tuesday cause they couldn’t give him the direct feed of the caller board.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Going by the exposés I've read about Crowder following the divorcening, Crowder's production staff are used to getting a certain level of abuse. While them realizing they shouldn't have to put up with Alex's attitude would apply under more usual circumstances, Alex might be of the viewpoint where game recognizes game.

I'm curious to know when it will be that the bankruptcy court eventually turns its gaze towards Alex's sudden relationship with Crowder. They're already investigating Alex's relationships through other entities like Andrew Tate and Mike Lindell, but nothing to Crowder just yet. It is obvious that something underhanded is going on, but not clear exactly what just yet.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Absolute all the Lol's in the world for Alex's story about the 'young hot bikini clad babes' hurling themselves at him while he was on vacation.

I mean come on Alex. You're a malignant narcissist fantasist, but you've got to draw the credibility line somewhere, and brother you can't see that line in the rear view mirror from where you are now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

Absolute all the Lol's in the world for Alex's story about the 'young hot bikini clad babes' hurling themselves at him while he was on vacation.

I mean come on Alex. You're a malignant narcissist fantasist, but you've got to draw the credibility line somewhere, and brother you can't see that line in the rear view mirror from where you are now.

Don’t young hot bikini babes typically fling themselves crotch-first at every loaf of processed ham that puts on a polo shirt? I was under the impression that they did.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Froghammer posted:

I want to hear more about Zuckerberg's combat walkers

Are we talking Chappys or ED-209s?

Knowing Zuck, ED-209s.

They fall into a ditch when they step on a rock

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Samurais don’t wear those, but Satanists do” is a loving quote lol.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I don't want to give Alex any useful notes, but if had claimed Zuckerberg's yard was full of Boston Dynamic robot dogs with tasers, I might believe him. You have to stay in the "dumb enough to be real" circle of bullshit.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Alex making a whole career out of being the kid who says his uncle works at Nintendo makes my head hurt

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

0konner posted:

I wonder how long he’ll be welcome though. He’s doing such normal work he was doing a “I love the crew” bit directed at steven’s guys on Tuesday cause they couldn’t give him the direct feed of the caller board.

Oh yeah I was mostly talking about the last couple eps where he's in Hawaii. He does still seem very at home at Crowder's shop, though

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

rotinaj posted:

Don’t young hot bikini babes typically fling themselves crotch-first at every loaf of processed ham that puts on a polo shirt? I was under the impression that they did.

Hawaii has the reputation of having a lot of expensive sex workers in the expensive tourist areas. I have no idea if this is true, as the only time I know of when wandered through a crowd of dudes and sex workers (in Trump Vegas no less) my only though was ‘why are all these guys with women out of their league? ‘

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Bikini women forcing a cuddle puddle on Alex aside, that episode was loving dark. Like Dan, I honestly didn't see Alex defending anti-sodomy laws in 2023, but in retrospect I should have.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I could totally understand Dan's instinct about that, too. I mean, morally, it isn't surprising at all. Alex is a bigot, of course he hates gay people and wants to hurt them. But him passing up such a golden opportunity to earn some "I'm the reasonable one" cred by standing up for gay people (to justify his rants about trans people) sent a chill down my spine.

It is so revealing that he feels comfortable doing this. Not about his personal beliefs because those were obvious, but how he perceives the conservative movement, that they are primed for this poo poo and he no longer needs to pretend. It's the realization that we are absolutely about to have this fight, and there is no way to avoid it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, that was depressing.

But yes, the fight against trans rights was always going to lead to the rollback of rights for all queer people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m relistening to the Noam Chomsky interview and it suddenly struck me that Alex would find a dozen Operation Locksteps if he could be bothered to scan Chomksy’s linguistics work.

Lectures on Government and Binding Theory? Barriers? The Minimalist Program? He wrote a whole paper on “the destruction of the city by the Romans” and “the Romans destroyed the city”.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's been my own fear that once Chomsky eventually dies of old age, his work will see a far-right interpretation of some kind. People who work in media always have a strange affinity to the specifics of the propaganda model, and that's something that cuts across partisan politics, even if they currently try to hide it. I recall one time hearing word of an Ezra Lavant interview with Chomsky, from the days when Lavant was just getting started as a right-wing provocateur, long before he founded Rebel News. Lavant tried asking all sorts of leading gotcha-questions, but Chomsky just responded with generalities about propaganda model theory, and the interview ended with Lavant just sorta falling silent. Despite coming at it from the opposite political angle, Lavant didn't really disagree with anything Chomsky actually said. There is enough commonality in there for something to be worked out.

The thing is, if neoreactionaries were to have any use for Chomsky's theories, they'd need to give it their own spin in the process. Doing this, however, would require a lot of work. Preparing for his own show is something Alex barely manages, and most other conservative media figures are in the same boat. The dark money networks which fund these shows prefer a quantity-over-quality approach to the dissemination of their politics, and that often forces them into repeating or recycling content from other sources, rather than doing the work to make it themselves. The dark process of actually making new content for conservative media is usually done by think tanks. Most of the current anti-trans stuff got its start through Chris Rufo's work with the Discovery Institute, for example. This setup right now is really the only thing which prevents them actually engaging seriously with any body of work other than their own, Chomsky or otherwise. Laziness is built into the very foundation of how this system operates. Alex is not unique in this fashion.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Intellectual champion Jordan has determined that he doesn’t like the sound of Donald trump’s voice cause he can’t listen to people with bosses.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I dug the Tuck n Roll side show! I’m also really loving disgusted how pretty undeniably antisemitic that man is holy poo poo. Like I thought it was bad but this is…he did similar poo poo when he was on Fox???

Also Dan calling him bowtie is delightful.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I didn't watch Tucker when he was on the air, but he had a team of writers behind him to help launder things like antisemitism and white replacement fears into the "just asking questions" fig leaf

Now that he doesn't have that and he's flying solo, he's going to be worse at those things

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Also enjoyed the new focus. I’ve been a a little bored with their 2004 “into the past” episodes and while I totally understand the need to get away from present-day Alex, the change of pace was appreciated

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Yeah. They've cut their teeth on Alex for so long that they can definitely handle whatever a professional propagandist can throw at them. ... or at least a propagandist who still wants to put a modicum of effort into their job. Dan has at least proven there is enough connective to tissue between Alex and Tucker for it to be worth our while.

There still is value in keeping an eye on Alex to make absolutely sure he doesn't cheat his way out of the libel judgments, but it's also obvious Alex doesn't care about putting effort into his work anymore. If even he can't be bothered, why should anyone else? If he wants to get any milage out of his narcissism, he needs to put actual effort into using it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Still kind of surprised he was willing to go all in on aliens visiting earth.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The worst implementation of Project Blue Beam, possible.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Well time to cancel Dan and Jordan for hating on swing music. Or I could just go on with my life

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Twibbit posted:

Well time to cancel Dan and Jordan for hating on swing music. Or I could just go on with my life

I'm completely unashamed of having seen the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy multiple times.

It's fun.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Dan thinks Andy kaufman’s wrestling run happened in wwf Jesus Christ…

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

teen witch posted:

I dug the Tuck n Roll side show! I’m also really loving disgusted how pretty undeniably antisemitic that man is holy poo poo. Like I thought it was bad but this is…he did similar poo poo when he was on Fox???

Also Dan calling him bowtie is delightful.

Tucker has used blatant, word-for-word white supremacist rhetoric while he was on Fox. Like, not even a fig leaf. Straight up saying poo poo like great replacement theory is real.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The "problem" when he was saying it on Fox was that we would never have any confirmation if it was actually him or not. When Dan did that one-off about Carlson's documentary a long while ago, he discovered the reason it was actually so "controversial" for the time was because it was cowritten by an ex-InfoWars staffer. That begged the question: Did Carlson actually care about any of it? ... or did he simply lend his own name and branding to the IW guy as a marketing ploy, given how Carlson was involved in multiple media projects at once? At the time, the second option seemed more likely.

This "Carlson-Or-Writer" problem was present during his time all of his time at Fox. When Carlson began to approach IW-adjacent material, he seemed to do it in infrequent intervals, which suggested it was a writer doing it and not Carlson himself. During this time, while Carlson himself may have said all these things, we had no way to know if he was the actual source of it or not. The lingering influence of IW was too hard to discount.

Him "going independent" increases the likelihood that these issues were indeed localized to him after all. ... but even this is only a chance increase. This is still a man who has been employed by every major cable News organization at least once, and he has jumped from ideological position to ideological position with very little concern for if any of it syncs up. He is the very embodiment of what "the mainstream media" ever was, and was specifically empowered by it on a personal level, yet he now claims to rail against it. The only axis that we know he is a political extremist for sure, is in how he is an extreme opportunist. He didn't necessarily care what he was ever saying, so long as at the end of the day, people were still listening to him saying it.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 14, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can read about the "editorial process" that Fox used with Bill O' Reilly's program in the book 'An Ashiest in the Fox Hole', written by an ex-staffer. O' Reilly had the ultimate say in whatever went on his program and got to pick and choose which of his staffer's contributions got aired. He would go as far as humiliating his staffers for not coming up with content that he thought was worthy of air-time, so I don't believe it would have been any different for Tucker.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mercury_Storm posted:

You can read about the "editorial process" that Fox used with Bill O' Reilly's program in the book 'An Ashiest in the Fox Hole', written by an ex-staffer. O' Reilly had the ultimate say in whatever went on his program and got to pick and choose which of his staffer's contributions got aired. He would go as far as humiliating his staffers for not coming up with content that he thought was worthy of air-time, so I don't believe it would have been any different for Tucker.

Was the ex-staffer Donnell Rawlings

Did he play Ashy Larry on Chapelle’s Show

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

This post was fine and I agree with the contextualization, but while reading I couldn't help but hear Tucker's dumb news voice.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'm actually mad that Dan said the Donkey Kong Rap was terrible

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

I'm actually mad that Dan said the Donkey Kong Rap was terrible

The man who wrote it did it to be deliberately terrible as a joke about tie in Rap songs.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Twibbit posted:

The man who wrote it did it to be deliberately terrible as a joke about tie in Rap songs.

Yes that's why it's good

DK Donkey Kong
He's the leader of the bunch
You know him well
He's finally back
to kick some tail

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Listened to their coverage of Tucker's twitter show, and wow it really is just a solid 10 or so minutes of Russian propaganda about their invasion. I guess he knows who his audience is now that he's off cable news (mostly Nazis probably and associated dark money groups, probably).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Well…I guess I’m not as upset with Alex using Rammstein anymore

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lmao they finally got to my technocrat callout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

‘Leftist cult of fire rangers’ is an all-timer.

E: v: from the start of todays episode. Pretty dark by the end though :ohdear:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 18, 2023