Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I thought I was hard on a kitchen until I watched the ANTI-CHEF guy. I appreciate that he doesn't put on a lot of 'YouTube persona', though.

We used to like watching Chocolate Cacao. He's really leaned into shorts recently, but a lot of his older stuff is enjoyable.

Edit: aw man, not the worst snipe but still..

Anyway, more content - Has anyone watched Brad Leone's new channel? YT has been recommending it but between the Bon Appétit implosion and the poorly canned fish incident I just don't know if I want to watch his new stuff.

you ate my cat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I watched one of the new Brads and it's the same old content transposed into a new setting. The one I watched had him making sauerkraut again which, sure. If you're really jonesing for Brad content it'll scratch that itch but I didn't see anything there that'll keep me coming back.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Weird History Food isn't specifically about cooking but is mostly about food.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

Anyway, more content - Has anyone watched Brad Leone's new channel? YT has been recommending it but between the Bon Appétit implosion and the poorly canned fish incident I just don't know if I want to watch his new stuff.

His video appeal popped with the BA bubble. I do follow him on social media and he’s carved out a nice life for himself, though it doesn’t beat Rick’s mexican beach town.

This NYT video has an interesting premise but I feel there was too much input to get a recipe with bad steps.

https://youtu.be/BMkpEAgYlxU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Brad is ok but he’s just not as much fun outside the context of the BA kitchen. Plus the fact that he didn’t really stand in solidarity with the rest of the staff makes him a lot less charming.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The thing Bon Appetite did well was the ensemble. A lot of the people aren't as interesting trying to carry things without that context

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even Claire’s solo videos are boring. My partner watches them to learn baking but they have zero entertainment value to me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Top Chef World All Stars just wrapped up. Definitely a higher class of guest judges in London and Paris, throwing around Michelin stars like they were nothing. “Oh look, that’s Alain Ducasse dropping by the kitchen.”

Results spoilers:
Buddha won again, because he’s basically a Michelin star chef doing food competitions. I think Sara from Kentucky could have been in contention if she hadn’t hosed up one of her finale dishes and served raw veal liver (ugh). Gabri from Mexico was never going to win but sounds like his food was interesting considering he always cooks Mexican cuisine.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

Brad is ok but he’s just not as much fun outside the context of the BA kitchen. Plus the fact that he didn’t really stand in solidarity with the rest of the staff makes him a lot less charming.

Agree here. There's a bit of reading-between-the-lines, but it felt mildly revealing who did guest spots with eachother following the implosion and I don't recall seeing Brad do much with others.

smackfu posted:

Top Chef World All Stars just wrapped up. Definitely a higher class of guest judges in London and Paris, throwing around Michelin stars like they were nothing. “Oh look, that’s Alain Ducasse dropping by the kitchen.”

Results spoilers:
Buddha won again, because he’s basically a Michelin star chef doing food competitions. I think Sara from Kentucky could have been in contention if she hadn’t hosed up one of her finale dishes and served raw veal liver (ugh). Gabri from Mexico was never going to win but sounds like his food was interesting considering he always cooks Mexican cuisine.

Also agree on all counts here. Was so very sad for Sara, as the judges go just shy of outright saying she would have won save for the raw veal. Have been rooting against Buddha for the past few episodes cause he's clearly very, very good at making fancy and beautiful food... but he clearly doesn't really need the Top Chef crown to be successful.

Gabi rules, he served them crickets.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm kind of looking for something to binge, what are the good seasons of Top Chef? Or most well regarded that is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm kind of looking for something to binge, what are the good seasons of Top Chef? Or most well regarded that is.

Chicago (Season 4), All-Stars 1 (Season 8), and pretty much anything from Season 14 (Charleston) until today, but especially Season 15 (Denver). Denver has my favorite bunch of chefs of any season. Portland is the worst of that group but even that one has lots of high points, it just suffers from a couple frustrating chefs and being filmed in Portland in the immediate aftermath of the summer of 2020 and the middle of the pandemic

Old Top Chef was good and gave us a lot of good chefs but honestly the quality of both the competitors and challenges really has been heads and tails better since about the Charleston season.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Season 6 (Vegas) is also worth watching. Was almost a turning point of the show when it comes to the level of chefs they're getting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some of the early ones had personal chefs who had never worked in a restaurant and they just could not cope with “make fifty plates” challenges.

I think there was also one where they eliminated someone in the quickfire in the first episode which I thought was not cool. And that was before people got a second chance to come back into the competition.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Almost all of Top Chef is watchable, I think pretty much every season has at least a few great personalities and the top level of competition is always pretty good even at its worst. Earlier seasons had more trouble finding people so the talent spread is a bit wider, and the first half of the show’s existence is Tom/Padma slowly excising most of the lovely unfun reality tv bullshit (personality clashes, dumb challenges). Now it is a well-oiled machine, which is how it’s maintained it’s consistency at such a high peak. The best part of the last few years is that casting has really made an effort to find a more diverse set of chefs to compete, and everyone is really supportive of each other.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

Even Claire’s solo videos are boring. My partner watches them to learn baking but they have zero entertainment value to me.

I was largely neutral on Molly, and enjoyed some of her videos. But then she introduced her video and mentioned he was a professional falconer and I just can't anymore.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Agreed on all of the above, early top chef suffers from being a Bravo show during the period where reality TV meant having people butt heads and yell and get drunk and commit felony assault against each other

It eventually finds a groove where it becomes all about consummate professionalism and honest competition with peers above all (almost, sometimes there are tiny backslides into drama for the spectacle of it)

My personal top 3 seasons are Colorado, Seattle and Charleston, maybe in that order? Season 1 of all-stars is also a must watch, and I cannot say a single bad thing about the entire Top Chef Masters season, I go back and watch that constantly because it's just a completely different level of challenge and it makes me very happy

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Vegetable posted:

i fully disagree, claire is naturally charming in a way you can't create, she just has It

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I dont watch as much claire as I used to but verdict: mmm gets me every time

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Claire's non-BA videos have the confidence of an experienced baker making a recipe she has made dozens of times before, whereas when she's doing weird poo poo to recreate garbage tier food, she's fumbling around and doing weird experiments. It's a different energy, and while one is not inherently better than the other, I find the latter more entertaining.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The good news is Top Chef is a gift that keeps on giving. If you're ok watching multiple seasons over a long period, go in an increasing order. They frequently bring contestants back, and their arc -- a former runner-up and fan favorite getting kicked off first, or an insufferable prick coming back as some sort of zen master who helps cool down a new hot shot -- are really great punches that you'll miss if you skip to the latest stuff.

I only started watching it this year, and I think I started at season 10. Everyone's recommendations are great so far.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

While we’re on the topic of BA alumni, nothing will come close to Gourmet Makes but Sohla and Ham’s series for NYT captures a very similar energy. One random ingredient to make a multi-course meal. I’m honestly flabbergasted at how talented the two of them are and they complement each other so well. Great energy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

While we’re on the topic of BA alumni, nothing will come close to Gourmet Makes but Sohla and Ham’s series for NYT captures a very similar energy. One random ingredient to make a multi-course meal. I’m honestly flabbergasted at how talented the two of them are and they complement each other so well. Great energy.

Their side comments about dishes they throw together for munchies or when guests come over are super interesting. Fried chicken with mac n cheese and other sides is a Sunday production for people like me; for them, it’s 6:30pm on a Tuesday and they forgot to make dinner plans.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Agree here. There's a bit of reading-between-the-lines, but it felt mildly revealing who did guest spots with eachother following the implosion and I don't recall seeing Brad do much with others.

Sohla literally called him a big dumb white guy. I think it's safe to assume that he's, at best, an "aw shucks why is everyone all mad about this" sort of harmful ignorance. With he and Claire basically being the face of BA, it's a bad vibe.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I forget the word they used but there's a video from right after everyone left with Brad and Andy making bluefish in a backyard, and they just completely gloss over everything that led up to the collapse.

E: this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UxZkrPLgL8

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Grem posted:

Sohla literally called him a big dumb white guy. I think it's safe to assume that he's, at best, an "aw shucks why is everyone all mad about this" sort of harmful ignorance. With he and Claire basically being the face of BA, it's a bad vibe.

she also compared him to trump in that interview which seemed a little... much

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The_Doctor posted:

Crime Scene Kitchen came back last night! :toot:

Hell yes. It's amazing watching Joel McHale sink further and further unto "this is where my career has led me. This is now my paycheck." Every episode.

Only time he broke out if it was when Ken Jeong showed up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Selena+Chef on HBO max is surprisingly charming and down to earth. All the dudes are complete loving dads and some of the tips are nice.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really like that too, and you can actually see Selena improve if you watch it from S1.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Morimoto's Sushi Masters came out on Roku today. First impressions are that it's pretty by the books. Morimoto is fun to watch and very straightforward in his judging. Kenji and Dakota Weiss are the other judges. Not much to say about them.

Contestants are awkward and the editing is definitely contributing to that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What's Kenji like as a host? I've always figured him to be very personable but not exactly charismatic. I guess that's not necessarily a job requirement though.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

He’s fine. He wasn’t around for the first half of the first episode. Gave good feedback during judging.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The Bear is back tomorrow!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrUxLBHVu8

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rico Suave

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Drag queens and gays love Nigella

https://youtu.be/tsk0N3LlOGI

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i like all the comments on this saying things to the effect of 'come on guys, shes clearly mispronouncing it on purpose as a joke' when the british have lost all benefit of the doubt after their centuries of crimes to their own language

mystes
May 31, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

i like all the comments on this saying things to the effect of 'come on guys, shes clearly mispronouncing it on purpose as a joke' when the british have lost all benefit of the doubt after their centuries of crimes to their own language
british people are actually capable of making jokes

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

british people are actually capable of making jokes

I'll believe it when I see it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

captkirk posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcyeFGOp2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Were there any jokes there or just a series of racist rear end statements about Mexicans?

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 25, 2023