Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doing a re-read for Alecto is gonna fuckin' rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i mean Ianthe only really gets dunked on twice; once when she successfully speedbumps an actual fully operational ten millennia old lyctor long enough for Harrow and Gideon to cobble together a winning plan, so frankly i'd file that as part of the successful team effort. i mean, palamedes died setting up the kill, his death just didn't stick

the other time is when Palamedes blindsides her and temporarily steals her zombie body while she's already struggling with the whole "there's a Resurrection Beast right up there" problem, which I think is also a reasonable defeat

she's extremely solid for a baby lyctor all the way through Gideon, and indeed lands the finisher on Augustine

Does that make the end of NtN the Faces of Foley promo?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation. Moira Quirk is a delight. I especially love her The Horrible Teens.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation. Moira Quirk is a delight. I especially love her The Horrible Teens.

Maaaaaaaagnus. Don't say we're overcome! Maaaaaaagnus.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

She is so good. I like using this little clip from pretty late in Gideon to pitch the audiobooks to folks looking to re-read at some point...

"Harrow says I'm a weenie over Dulcinea"

https://vocaroo.com/1aSBPapzdINl

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm sure I'm the only one to whom this new but just in case we get like somebody even newer in the thread:

Aw, Magnus. :smith: And his wife, who seemed nice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

I'm sure I'm the only one to whom this new but just in case we get like somebody even newer in the thread:

Aw, Magnus. :smith: And his wife, who seemed nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Cam," Palamedes said. "Go loud."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

One of the most satisfying scenes I have ever read in any context.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

One of the most satisfying scenes I have ever read in any context.

Plus it lead to

"Death first to vultures and scavengers."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Everyone posted:

Plus it lead to

"Death first to vultures and scavengers."

Which is one of the most satisfying lines I've ever read.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I am an enormous fan of Cam & Pal.

Gideon's first encounter with them is absolutely spectacular and further interactions only get better.

https://twitter.com/dawndundundun/status/1182582177302642689

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

every quote is the best quote in the series

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh, I can't possibly pick best. But there's this feeling of satisfaction in that scene and that line, y'know?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
imo the best line in the series is specific to the audiobook for book 3

when teacher throws something at the wall and moira quirk does the onomatopoeia for it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite audiobook moment is late in book 3 Moira Quirk gets slower and sadder for the narration of Nona's disassociation on the bus, and then snaps right back into place at Paul letting her know Noodle is on the bus

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm actually slowrolling my relisten, because I'm following along with the locked tomb podcast reread. Painfully slow but nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robo Reagan posted:

Untrue, I just came to the best one.

Gideon said, “Did you know that if you put the first three letters of your last name with the first three letters of your first name, you get ‘Sex Pal’?”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

Gideon said, “Did you know that if you put the first three letters of your last name with the first three letters of your first name, you get ‘Sex Pal’?”

That might be the best quote in all of fiction.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

"You really don't talk like we think you would"

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Incredibly funny to think the time Gideon was most popular with women was when she didn't talk at all. Girl got literally negative game.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Dawgstar posted:

an absolutely perfect moment

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silvergoose posted:

My favourite is in Harrow and it's something like "I want to shove Crux down the stairs and hear him bounce down shouting "oof, oww, my bones!"" and Moira just absolutely slams into her Crux voice as hard as she can for that small bit.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/anxiousrekt/status/1670241119026704385?s=20

dang these look awesome. im stuck over here with paperbacks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I cannot buy physical copies until the whole set is out. I'll decide what I want then. They must match!!!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

I cannot buy physical copies until the whole set is out. I'll decide what I want then. They must match!!!

:same:

Hopefully I can get a nice set with black edged pages

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I worry that there would be enough copies made to get all 4 at once.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well! We've taken a trip to the pool and things have certainly jumped off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

Well! We've taken a trip to the pool and things have certainly jumped off.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
drat, a friend got me a copy of Gideon the Ninth and I absolutely devoured it in like 2-3 days. Really enjoyed it! What a fun ride.

I wanna dive right into 2 but I have heard its a huge change in style and it'll take some getting used to the book not coming from Gideon's perspective and having a...completely different relationship to Gideon as a character. But I absolutely love this universe and can't wait to see more of it!

Also can't believe I didn't see the Lyctor-Lich connection from go. Lots of cool little nuggets in there if you're paying attention (I'm not)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harrow is actually better written (Gideon is quite sloppy in places) but it's lacking that immediate charm. Pays off in spades though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Finally got my gf (who is a gentle soul and doesn't like people exploding in showers of gore) to reserve the audiobook of Gideon at the library!!!!! She has to wait two weeks but I will report back

mewse
May 2, 2006

Harrow has a ton of flashback sequences to book 1 that really, really benefit from having just read it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mewse posted:

Harrow has a ton of flashback sequences to book 1 that really, really benefit from having just read it

They benefit even more from having read Harrow and then immediately rereading it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mewse posted:

Yeah, I thought about taking a break having just finished it but I really don't want to. Does Quirk do the audio version for Harrow as well? (And Nona, which one figures I'll get to eventually.)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Quirk is doing the audiobooks for the whole corpse party and every voice is magnificent.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

mewse posted:

I made the mistake of reading Harrow after I'd forgotten much of Gideon, assuming it would remind me about anything important

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I made the mistake of reading Harrow after I'd forgotten much of Gideon, assuming it would remind me about anything important

Well, it did!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Picked up the Harrow audiobook. Didn't expect that now I was the Ninth House necromancer goblin turned Lyctor but you never know the places you'll go.