Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have the world's worst and dumbest question, inspired by firing up my solo character run and trying to go from Nashkel to Durlag's Tower, getting stopped by a random encounter, and finding myself Northwest of Beregost on the random encounter map when continuing to my destination: does anyone actually know the paths the game has you take from one location to another? I feel like the actual roads between the locations would be a wholly plausible graphical mod project (if it actually follows any kind of in-universe logic for pathfinding, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have the world's worst and dumbest question, inspired by firing up my solo character run and trying to go from Nashkel to Durlag's Tower, getting stopped by a random encounter, and finding myself Northwest of Beregost on the random encounter map when continuing to my destination: does anyone actually know the paths the game has you take from one location to another? I feel like the actual roads between the locations would be a wholly plausible graphical mod project (if it actually follows any kind of in-universe logic for pathfinding, anyway).

They’re pretty well detailed on the 2e Forgotten Realms campaign setting maps - the actual roads, at least. Wandering into the Cloakwood or into the Cloud Mountains is a wilderness explanation kind of thing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arivia posted:

They’re pretty well detailed on the 2e Forgotten Realms campaign setting maps - the actual roads, at least. Wandering into the Cloakwood or into the Cloud Mountains is a wilderness explanation kind of thing.
Oh, that is a good point. I mean I absolutely have at least one set of maps covering the Cloakwood area, and it would make sense if the in-game pathfinding logic just followed those pre-existing maps. I should get one out and check! Thanks for the idea.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you're thinking about how the game technically finds a path between the area you are leaving, and your destination area if that is not an area adjacent to your current area, my impression is that Baldur's Gate 1 uses a node-graph where each area is represented as a single node and lists the surrounding nodes it is connected to. When traveling long distances, it simply finds a path through nodes you have already discovered to get the total distance traveled and determine roughly where you end up in the journey is interrupted.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 11, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Ginette Reno posted:

Sadly liches are fuckers and immune to poison by default and scs liches will usually protect themselves from fire/acid as well but against non liches it's chefs kiss.
Doesn’t matter they are immune to 5th level and lower spells anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slashrat posted:

If you're thinking about how the game technically finds a path between the area you are leaving, and your destination area if that is not an area adjacent to your current area, my impression is that Baldur's Gate 1 uses a node-graph where each area is represented as a single node and lists the surrounding nodes it is connected to. When traveling long distances, it simply finds a path through nodes you have already discovered to get the total distance traveled and determine roughly where you end up in the journey is interrupted.
Yeah that was what I was contemplating; the way you explain it makes sense, I just keep trying to figure out if having more of the map explored actually changes anything or if your party always takes the same path to places regardless of the number of theoretical routes they have available.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm purely speculating based on general knowledge of pathfinding algorithms, but each link between adjacent areas already have a number ingame hours that it 'costs' to travel by that link, so it'd be pretty natural for the game to pick the path through multiple areas based on what yields the lowest travel time. If so, the path it chooses between any two areas will always be the same, barring new areas inbetween being unlocked that makes a shorter path available. What the exact criteria is for an area to be eligible for being part of the path is unclear though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had an enemy mage just merc my party in the Planar Sphere using Ali Dazib's Horrid Wilting and I was shocked at how much that spell can just wreck a party if you're already low health.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

I had an enemy mage just merc my party in the Planar Sphere using Ali Dazib's Horrid Wilting and I was shocked at how much that spell can just wreck a party if you're already low health.

It's pretty sick. If you think you're gonna run into some high levels mage I'd keep up protection from magical energy. It's turn/level so will last as long as most of your other long term buffs.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i did the quest in the desert town to kill the Lich and as i was poking around in his lair after i did it i got teleported inside Balthazars compound?! I went up the stairs and a cutscene played and uh...i guess the game kind of assumed you wouldn't do this until after you've killed the other 2 of The 5 because he's talking like they're already dead and he kinda spoiled the rest of the plot :v:

Although the fight with Yaga Shura was cool! I assume the enemies randomly teleporting in are suppose to be his army closing in around you and that was a pretty neat moment, if not on the easy side after going through the Fire Giants in the mountains to even get to this point.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Bit of a fiddly question: I'm replaying the whole BG saga one time before BG3 launches, and I'm doing it with 5 custom characters and a slot for plot-relevant NPCs. I've only ever played Siege of Dragonspear once before, and I don't remember much of the plot or when you get companions. I don't remember if there are any situations like BG2, where, eg. I'd take Nalia for the keep and Valygar for the sphere. Any recommendations on which NPCs to fill that 6th slot with, when?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am in the middle of my own pre-3-coming-out playthrough (I started after playing the 3 alpha, so I have obviously been taking my time) and Dragonspear's main need to take specific characters, I would say anyway, is to see their storyline through and/or in the case of M'Khiin Grubdoubler to get a bunch of cool loot specific to her Shaman class that you are not likely to be using otherwise (actually and I think some is Goblin-specific, which obviously you cannot otherwise duplicate).

Though this is coming from someone who has never used Baeloth so for all I know he makes something somewhere much easier. Voghlin is also seemingly designed specifically to get around some area's otherwise difficult challenges, if I remember correctly?

Why am I even posting this

Probably because M'Khiin RULES and I want more people to know that, literally the only time I have seen "true neutral" written in a plausible and meaningful way in a D&D game

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Some quests need specific characters like Neera has a thing to help with her wild mage stuff and there is a quest you need Minsc and Dynaheir when you meet another set of warrior and witch there is probably more I am forgetting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think all the NPCs in Siege of Dragonspear have one or a few minor encounters that are specific to them, but none of them are exactly essential, and there are some sidequests (Neera's, Khalid's, Safana's from memory) that don't require them to be in the party at all.

If you're looking for a recommendation of one to have with you for the entire game, I'd go with either M'Khiin or Glint (in about that order). They both have slightly more content than anyone else and they're both very fun characters (though Glint requires a certain tolerance for Bioware's comedy gnome stylings).

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I liked Glint and his insanity better than Jan.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Thanks for the feedback - I didn't even use M'khiin the first time I played and people seem to love her so I'll probably grab her ASAP and just carry her through. I don't recall shaman being a very good class, but I imagine my five overpowered PCs can carry pretty much anyone.
(Inquisitor/ Cleric of Helm / Mage / Archer / Kensai 9 -Thief)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe consider doing 4 custom party members through BG1->SOD, so you can enjoy the beauty of Baeloth in your party.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe consider doing 4 custom party members through BG1->SOD, so you can enjoy the beauty of Baeloth in your party.

I've done Baeloth in BG1 - I might do just SOD some day to see what the evil NPCs have to offer there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pratan posted:

I liked Glint and his insanity better than Jan.
While I do like Glint I could not help but feel like I have absolutely gamed with him in real life in the past which kind of killed the immersion

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jan is GOAT

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
M'Kinn is my favorite Beamdog npc period. It's a shame she's only in SOD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ginette Reno posted:

M'Kinn is my favorite Beamdog npc period. It's a shame she's only in SOD.

I feel like they could have made a BG2EE DLC that added her and got a profit off it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I feel like they could have made a BG2EE DLC that added her and got a profit off it.

Kirk is on record somewhere in this thread saying Beamdog had plans for more Baldur’s Gate expansions/DLC, but SoD was not profitable enough to make that work viable.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Jay Rust posted:

Jan is GOAT

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Arivia posted:

Kirk is on record somewhere in this thread saying Beamdog had plans for more Baldur’s Gate expansions/DLC, but SoD was not profitable enough to make that work viable.

That's really a shame. I'm not super fond of any of the EE added content, but they really did hit their stride with SoD.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah playing through Siege of Dragonspear again right now and I maintain it is less irritating than Tales of the Sword Coast, and has a lot of cool stuff sprinkled throughout even if there are some unfortunate choices as well.

I honestly love the villain's motivation, too, and hope that idea has been explored elsewhere at greater length

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah playing through Siege of Dragonspear again right now and I maintain it is less irritating than Tales of the Sword Coast,

Oh god yes. Having just done TotSC in my playthrough, I was reminded once again that the only fun part of Durlag's tower is the chess game, and that werewolf island is bullshit.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leatherhead posted:

Oh god yes. Having just done TotSC in my playthrough, I was reminded once again that the only fun part of Durlag's tower is the chess game, and that werewolf island is bullshit.
My first time through back in the day I somehow managed to miss the werewolf island entirely, which probably improved my overall feelings on the game honestly. Then I only hated the Ice Island. And the final boss' instalkill. Well and like half of Durlag's Tower. I definitely liked the XP cap being raised!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

To be fair, what kind of fool goes to a place called werewolf Island expecting a good time?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I only was able o do werewolf island this year and because I was specifically looking for it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I simply pretend that werewolf island is not in the game. It works well and my video game experience is the better for it!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mr. Lobe posted:

To be fair, what kind of fool goes to a place called werewolf Island expecting a good time?

The furries

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

docbeard posted:

I think all the NPCs in Siege of Dragonspear have one or a few minor encounters that are specific to them, but none of them are exactly essential, and there are some sidequests (Neera's, Khalid's, Safana's from memory) that don't require them to be in the party at all.

If you're looking for a recommendation of one to have with you for the entire game, I'd go with either M'Khiin or Glint (in about that order). They both have slightly more content than anyone else and they're both very fun characters (though Glint requires a certain tolerance for Bioware's comedy gnome stylings).

Just want to say you are wrong about Neera. If you don’t have her in your party when you give her the last ingredient for her potion the quest ends prematurely and you miss out on the last part of it that actually resolves her entire problem.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Flowing Thot posted:

Just want to say you are wrong about Neera. If you don’t have her in your party when you give her the last ingredient for her potion the quest ends prematurely and you miss out on the last part of it that actually resolves her entire problem.
I definitely appreciated this on my current playthrough, as they did indeed go to the trouble of recording a whole new set of response barks for her character afterward. Definitely thought just getting her the crap and ignoring her was good enough in my first playthrough. Thank goodness I decided to go with a primarily spellcaster party this time

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does anyone have any experience with the Switch version? I've gotten up to ToB and I realized I've never actually managed to complete Sarevok's dialogue tree because I've never gotten all three conversations to fire. According to what I can google, they're coded as banters and should fire randomly, but I've just killed Sendai and have yet to see a single one. Is there any way to force them? I've tried leaving the game idle in various locales but it doesn't seem to help.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Oh yeah that's true. You do get a resolution of sorts if you talk to her after completing the potion in camp but it's not quite the same.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Switch version? I've gotten up to ToB and I realized I've never actually managed to complete Sarevok's dialogue tree because I've never gotten all three conversations to fire. According to what I can google, they're coded as banters and should fire randomly, but I've just killed Sendai and have yet to see a single one. Is there any way to force them? I've tried leaving the game idle in various locales but it doesn't seem to help.

I've only ever seen party interactions happen as i'm just standing around in the environment so maybe try that? I usually get them as as i'm doing my spell buffs before going into fights more often then not.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, that actually seemed to do the trick. I got one of them at random in Abazigal's Lair, and managed to force the others by booting every other party member and having charname and Sarevok just twiddle their thumbs and cast a spell every five minutes.

Dunno if the area matters, but I also only got it to work inside dungeons; couldn't get one to fire in Amkethran, the Pocket Plane or outside Watcher's Keep.

He gets some new voice lines, that's nice.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Went back to my BG2 Fighter / Wild Mage evil party game and was doing the Neera quest to kind of wrap up all the Act 2 / 3 content. I think I hosed up the quest when it came time to rescue the wild mages by being too free with aoe spells because all of them in the entire place were hostile. Oh well sorry Neera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, that actually seemed to do the trick. I got one of them at random in Abazigal's Lair, and managed to force the others by booting every other party member and having charname and Sarevok just twiddle their thumbs and cast a spell every five minutes.

Dunno if the area matters, but I also only got it to work inside dungeons; couldn't get one to fire in Amkethran, the Pocket Plane or outside Watcher's Keep.

He gets some new voice lines, that's nice.

I know it's super stupid on its face, but if you don't want to deal with weird console commands and looking up ancient code on how someone decided to spell DIAGSARVOK21 or whatever (an imaginary example), you can try just leaving the game running but on pause for an hour or so, unpause and hope that something fires. This is infamously how to deal with things like romances and the like. (The only good romance is the Edwin romance, don't really bother with those)

I don't remember off the top of my head how Sarevok's dialogues are supposed to work, but some companions just have weird restrictions around key pieces of dialogue, like you have to rest in an outdoors area with Jaheira at some point to progress her stuff, etc., and none of this is told to the player. I'm not sure how long the devs thought a BG2 game should last, but you don't actually need to spend that much time anywhere, and it seems like these things are kind of easy to miss out on. Which is unfortunate in a game where the companions actually saying stuff (as opposed to BG1) is a good thing!