Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SS 43
Whew, that scene with Alden coming across Kibby blowing the whistle he'd given him while she was surrounded by the corpses of her family was devastating.

Yeah, that scene hit me hard as well.

Reminds me of a scene about a young girl in a space ship accident that I've read decades ago that hit me extremely hard for some reason back then. Spoiler just because Little girl is rescued, alone on a dead space ship. She was trying to sew the dead bodies of her parents/siblings? together to get them back to life, like she used to do to repair her dolls Anybody know that story ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Goddamn Super Supportive is good. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next update. (Patreon)Come on Alden. You can do it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh new RR SS chapter. Wow this one is short. Just two planets' Systems chatting about Alden's chances of surviving. Looks really low, but obviously he'll make it through or we wouldn't have a story. There's a good chance they are going to be marking him missing, presumed dead and have a funeral for him I would imagine.

Hopefully we get a second chapter later today if the author note from what I presume was the patreon post holds here.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh new RR SS chapter. Wow this one is short. Just two planets' Systems chatting about Alden's chances of surviving. Looks really low, but obviously he'll make it through or we wouldn't have a story. There's a good chance they are going to be marking him missing, presumed dead and have a funeral for him I would imagine.

Hopefully we get a second chapter later today if the author note from what I presume was the patreon post holds here.

And his Aunt is going to get a surprise.

Author did say that there would be another chapter today

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So the effects of giving blood made him take 1803/270 = 6.68 times longer to drop to 1% survivable. Unsure if the neighbor of the beast reference is random or an easter egg or a clue. I'm sure there a bunch of other clues buried in this chapter about the workings of the system we'll point back at later.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

cyrn posted:

So the effects of giving blood made him take 1803/270 = 6.68 times longer to drop to 1% survivable. Unsure if the neighbor of the beast reference is random or an easter egg or a clue. I'm sure there a bunch of other clues buried in this chapter about the workings of the system we'll point back at later.

I think it's pretty interesting that if you look at the longer term chances, the Gorgon gremlin improved his chances by more like 20x. So it makes more of a difference longer term. Or maybe his avowed skill and rank makes less of a difference.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really like the latest RR chapter prologue.

1803/24 ~~ 75 days. That'd be a heck of a time skip.

Neither contract seems to be including the relative safety of Joe's lab in their calculations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

He's gonna be stuck there between 8 to 14 months since that's how long the Systems said it would take a ship to slowboat their way there without teleportation. Possibility longer if they don't put a priority on rescuing him, but Thenn-ar seemed to think of that the wizards would want to find out why a System stopped working ASAP so they might make it quick even if they think he's dead. SS 44

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think RR will publish the next chapter later since I think Patreon did two at once for this one as well.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
In the Wandering Inn, it feels like even though Rhir seems like the most important continent for the overarching plot, it's been deliberately saved for later as we get very little, and only with one faction. So I was interested that the latest chapter is actually from the perspective of the other side on Rhir. But why, why would pirateaba do so while introducing the worst early 2000s cringe furry character? Did that really have to be a thing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

In the Wandering Inn, it feels like even though Rhir seems like the most important continent for the overarching plot, it's been deliberately saved for later as we get very little, and only with one faction. So I was interested that the latest chapter is actually from the perspective of the other side on Rhir. But why, why would pirateaba do so while introducing the worst early 2000s cringe furry character? Did that really have to be a thing?

she wrote in the notes that it was a crack chapter

im pretty sure she just wants to experiment while doing this 10k words a day poo poo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I wouldn't mind a few chapters of Kibby and Alden's daily adventures. She's adorable and its interesting to see uh, I guess, Artonan elementary school. SS45

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I haven't read much new lately, but want to plug The Consequences of Meeting a Dragon again, it's just very warm and good.

I would also like to second this recommendation; I really enjoyed it.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I bounced off it by chapter 10. Most of the characters are very passive. They don't do things, things happen to them. Only the dragon seems active and I found the baby speak irritating.

But I won't ignore multiple recommendations from this thread. I'll give it another go. There's not that many chapters yet anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm enjoying the linked dragon story so far (though I do find the dragon's speech a bit grating). I'm at least curious to see where it's going.

edit: The dragon talks like the Manon from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 16, 2023

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I bounced off it by chapter 10. Most of the characters are very passive. They don't do things, things happen to them. Only the dragon seems active and I found the baby speak irritating.

But I won't ignore multiple recommendations from this thread. I'll give it another go. There's not that many chapters yet anyway.

it doesnt really change from this I dont think, it's very slice of life and IMO a little boring. If you're not interested in the world, or in the kids-book/YA level affirmations that the protagonist is loveable and deserves to be happy, then theres not really much there. If you're interested in those things then awesome, it's pretty good at what it does.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The dragon's voice was fine, but something about how the all the adult characters are constantly infodumping in the exact same voice made me want to chew on the walls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

awesmoe posted:

If you're not interested in the world, or in the kids-book/YA level affirmations that the protagonist is loveable and deserves to be happy, then theres not really much there. If you're interested in those things then awesome, it's pretty good at what it does.

Yeah, it feels sorta like some strange kind of fan-service, where the fan-service in question is "being taken to a safe environment where everyone is nice to you."

But the writing is at least good enough that it's not unpleasant to read, and I'm curious exactly where it's going.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I am over the beach chapters now.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

tithin posted:

I am over the beach chapters now.

Yes, I am ready to get to the Solstice for sure. Whatever happens there will surely be level 50, yes?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah that's fair, it was very YA. Sometimes I do just wanna read something safe and warm. :3:

On which note, I think I'll unfollow from Bioshifter, interesting idea but falls into the same trap as, uh, basically everything else they've written.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah that's fair, it was very YA. Sometimes I do just wanna read something safe and warm. :3:

On which note, I think I'll unfollow from Bioshifter, interesting idea but falls into the same trap as, uh, basically everything else they've written.

What trap is that?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

All their (her?) stories have the same air. Start off with an interesting transformation idea, character is intially weirded out, and then very quickly all-in with it, and then nothing ever changes.

It's absolutely a fetish thing, and that's fine, but the plot goes nowhere. It's like 50 chapters in and as far as I can tell, she's now a full insect person and nobody has noticed. Ok there's some stuff happening in the dream-world, maybe? but even that is sloow and reads more like a d&d campaign being played on the side.

I feel like Vigor Mortis and the pokemon one I read of theirs also did the same thing. Interesting initial idea and then trails off into sludge.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd read it. (Warning: this is SFW but other stuff on this account will be spicier.)

https://twitter.com/baalbuddy/status/1670145159311310848

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Arkendrythist Patreon: drat I thought maybe Duplicate would end up being really important. It feels like the only piece of magic Erick really couldn't have figured out without intense instruction. Still didn't expect it to pay off this strongly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wittgen posted:

Arkendrythist Patreon: drat I thought maybe Duplicate would end up being really important. It feels like the only piece of magic Erick really couldn't have figured out without intense instruction. Still didn't expect it to pay off this strongly.

Holy crap this entire chapter was nuts! The Red Sparks live in the sun and eat people is an awesome twist, and it reminded me of when people would talk about when Veird came to the New Cosmetology and described the 'Killing Sun', I wonder if that is the only memory that remained of a fight that happened early in Verid's history.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, it's a heck of a lot. My theory is that Veird does in fact have a dark god. Knowledge may have been sacrificed, but the reason she has never reformed is because she actually did reform. She just reformed as a dark god who lives in the killing sun and acts as a horrifying memory scourge for some unsuspicious reason.

Poor Debby!Jane. She kind of got to love out Jane's dearest wish of significantly helping her dad, but what a cost.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

The dragon's voice was fine, but something about how the all the adult characters are constantly infodumping in the exact same voice made me want to chew on the walls.

Ignore all the haters this is great if you've been mistreated as a child

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I've started Chaotic Craftsman Worships The Cube by ProbablyATurnip and it's the same vibe of chill low-stakes slice of life. Before I knew it I was on chapter 25. Slightly different tastes in literatureologie I guess.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just starred reading the last orellen. First ten chaps so far is very good. Political intrigue, magical systems that are interesting and solid worldbuilsing. Dark but not too dark.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Goddamn, that Ar'K Patreon chapter. The big thing Ar'Kendrythist does over and over again is to explain something with a character who either has basic knowledge or is deliberately withholding the full truth so that it can loop back around to it later with someone who knows more or is willing to start explaining the more complicated facets. Sure, all stories do this, but Ar'K does this with literally everything, from small aspects to the giant questions of "what is the setting" to "what is magic" to "what are the motivations of the major political players" to "who is Erick." And it never only does it once or twice, even when it's on a topic of objective truth and there's no competing stories to sort out. And from that perspective this is the most Ar'K chapter that has ever Ar'K'ed, going up to something that literally only one person in all of Veird knows about and that proceeds to recontextualize basically everything that has ever happened in all the prior chapters. I love this series.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Orellen chapter 29 Larets Tare was a very well crafted chapter. Man that was intense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS 56

Looks like we're getting an extra chapter tomorrow (which is good given the events of this one)!

I'm very curious how Alden is supposed to end up okay here, since the super powerful wizard looking at him seems to think the prognosis is bad. Hopefully the "loving lie" was just that the recovery would be easy, rather than being about whether it's possible.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Honestly, I am just so happy Kibby survived.

I think Alden is in a bad spot, but the super wizard doesn't know that he can sense and control his authority. He already patched his talent for a bit, so I bet with help, he can patch his skill too. Or at least hold it together long enough to get to a system. I bet a system could put him together.

Still, I bet he is going to be feeling after effects of this for a long time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SS 45:

Man, I really like Kibby. I hope she'll be okay. I don't have high hopes for it given how Alden keeps getting anyone he gets close to ripped away from him though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

SS 56

Looks like we're getting an extra chapter tomorrow (which is good given the events of this one)!

I'm very curious how Alden is supposed to end up okay here, since the super powerful wizard looking at him seems to think the prognosis is bad. Hopefully the "loving lie" was just that the recovery would be easy, rather than being about whether it's possible.

someone in the comments mentioned that Joe told him that avowed who gather up too much excess authority can have it overwhelm them, so alden might need to be sent down the original progression path asap

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

someone in the comments mentioned that Joe told him that avowed who gather up too much excess authority can have it overwhelm them, so alden might need to be sent down the original progression path asap

SS 56

An alternate (though probably pretty unlikely) possibility is that Alden's Skill (and integration into the System as an Avowed in general) framework is so hosed up that it's basically irrecoverable and he basically needs to be removed from the System entirely to survive (which is supposed to be impossible, but Alden is a bit of an exception due to both his authority control and the Gorgon modification so maybe he could survive it). This might explain why Alis-art’h seems to think he's screwed - he'll never be able to function as an Avowed again due to the damage to that whole "machine" in Alden.

From everything we know, being an Avowed is basically mutually exclusive with being a wizard, because you're forced to have most of your authority tied up in Skills (or other System stuff like foundation stats). And there's a number of things pointing towards Alden somehow becoming an actual wizard, so this might be the only way that can happen.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Einander posted:

Goddamn, that Ar'K Patreon chapter.
Holy poo poo, thing I just realized:
This arc starts off by people checking the Benevolent Sky and thinking they saw something, then dismissing the sky as empty.
What if they saw the Red Sparks in the sky, and their memory was wiped.
It would also explain how they can see disaster coming to Storms Edge, but not what disaster.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

SS 56

An alternate (though probably pretty unlikely) possibility is that Alden's Skill (and integration into the System as an Avowed in general) framework is so hosed up that it's basically irrecoverable and he basically needs to be removed from the System entirely to survive (which is supposed to be impossible, but Alden is a bit of an exception due to both his authority control and the Gorgon modification so maybe he could survive it). This might explain why Alis-art’h seems to think he's screwed - he'll never be able to function as an Avowed again due to the damage to that whole "machine" in Alden.

From everything we know, being an Avowed is basically mutually exclusive with being a wizard, because you're forced to have most of your authority tied up in Skills (or other System stuff like foundation stats). And there's a number of things pointing towards Alden somehow becoming an actual wizard, so this might be the only way that can happen.

huh, if that's the case Alden is going to have a much rougher time due to his elevated chaos potential, which IIRC the system stabilized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Re: Super Supportive Patreon, I think there's essentially no chance that Alden dies or loses his powers. I also think he can't switch to purely being a wizard. He is still on the hook to serve as Avowed, and that means a skill. Having a huge chunk of his authority tied up in his skill will limit his wizardry, but I don't think it out and out prohibits him.

I think it's more likely that he loses parts of himself. He couldn't remember what the parrot aliens are called. He might have had other memories ripped from him too. Or perhaps he will develop the magical version of tinnitus to go with his mundane one. Something like that.

One thing that stood out to me in this chapter is how Sleyca is really good at juggling setups. We're getting the resolution of a lot of the physical danger Alden and Kibby were in, but the Knight's narration does a great job of reminding us how much political danger they're in. Then Kibby and Alden's interactions are very moving, but also this Auriad lie will not hold up to scrutiny. Really strong, efficient writing.

Random aside, I think Manon, the creepy cult leader rabbit, has a skill which is one of the original 300 skills of the system. Alden mentions that it gets very few extra perks, similar to his. Seems like a clue. If this is the case, it won't have a level cap. With 35 years experience, she could have level 50 arranging things to suit their owner. It is even possible that she had no interest in other skills or spells, and she has been improving her skill along the track Joe described. It would be neat if an antagonist was one of the few other humans with that knowledge.