Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kild posted:

In most anime adaptions nowadays you can do 2-4 chapters per episode depending on how much action there is. One Piece is doing less than 1 chapter per episode bc the author gets a break every month and the anime never takes a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

here's a visual representation

they cut out luffy throwing salt. disrespectful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
oda redraws every flashback. the anime does not

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'll try One Pace then

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Shuichi Ikeda is pretty good at voicing mentor figures who lose their arms while protecting their proteges

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've been on a Range Murata kick so i watched Blue Submarine No. 6 and both seasons of Last Exile

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kild posted:

In most anime adaptions nowadays you can do 2-4 chapters per episode depending on how much action there is. One Piece is doing less than 1 chapter per episode bc the author gets a break every month and the anime never takes a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

here's a visual representation

i almost linked that exact video before i caught up w/ the posts. insane how much they stretch out

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Also if anyone ever says something like "you can skip skypiea" "skupieas not that good and just skip it to get to the good stuff" you're in danger and MUST call the police

ya i'm still in the middle of Water 7 atm since i've been in much more of a vidya mood than manga/anime lately when i actually have free time, but there's nothing skippable so far to me manga-wise, even side arcs like Long Ring Long Land just kick too much rear end to consider jumping ahead over

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Agreed for sure. I’ve no idea how people don’t like the Davy back fight it’s unbelievably funny. Same people call literally anything that isn’t just direct plot reveals “filler”. Braindead

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
and Thats why skypiaeiaea is the best arc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Yes, cause the anime has to stall while waiting for more manga content to adapt. The manga is very long but that's just cause it's a huge story, nearly every arc moves at a good pace while you're reading it.

IMHO Wano did kind of dragged on the end that has been really pronounced on the anime too, I think the Kaidou fight is going to take thrice as many episodes as the Frieza fight lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alaois posted:

i've been on a Range Murata kick so i watched Blue Submarine No. 6 and both seasons of Last Exile

I remember liking Blue Submarine no. 6 when it was on Toonami back in the day. How’d you like it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I remember liking Blue Submarine no. 6 when it was on Toonami back in the day. How’d you like it

The CGI hasn't aged well but the direction of the scenes is good enough that it doesn't really drag it down, the traditional animation is fantastic and the music wasn't what I was expecting but I loved it.

I didn't realize until looking it up later that it was an adaptation/modernization of a manga from the 60s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wish Genthru had bumped into Phinks and Feitan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It rules that Hrinrgih or whatever that fucker's name is spelled is straight up Giorno but written better

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Like instead of expanding on the cool and smart stuff that Golden Experience could do with its base power (transforming objects into plants or animals) Araki just added bullshit powers to it and then gave it Requiem which is a ridiculous Deus ex Machina which really cheapened Giorno as a character

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I also watched blue sub marine recently and felt it held up

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just finished trigun. really good

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Like instead of expanding on the cool and smart stuff that Golden Experience could do with its base power (transforming objects into plants or animals) Araki just added bullshit powers to it and then gave it Requiem which is a ridiculous Deus ex Machina which really cheapened Giorno as a character

Ya I agree. I really like Giorno as a character but his ability is just too open ended and gains the ability to do what it needs each fight. Like in Purple Haze where he turns a brick into a snake that synthesises an antidote. Bruno otoh has a super basic ability but the best and most fun fights in Part 5 because of how creative he can be with it without changing how it works.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

just finished trigun. really good

I love his song in the dub lol, Johnny Yong Bosch ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO7N_IORSo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the street thugs in rumble in the Bronx are unparalleled. beyond inspiring costume design on every doofus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also the fight scene that transitions from some seedy pool table into a consumer electronics warehouse section where jackie stuffs like 4 people into fridges ftw.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Every shot of the Bronx that's obviously Vancouver ftw

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
watched 12 angry men and it’s a great hot summer night movie, helps feel the tension in the room if it’s been a really long summer day

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Finally watched Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. I thought it was good.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

saw Past Lives last night and really loved it. good watch if you want to go cry a bunch

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

reading a catalog of such stuff as dreams are made on. cool little collection of 1-2 page long sketched out stories written in 1998-1999 in hong kong. all use stuff the author saw in HK culture then as a prompt for a story usually about a bizarre type of person or to comment on the thing itself. includes things like fashion and tech and movies + tv, even some gaming stuff like the dreamcast and final fantasy 8. pretty neat

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
wrapping up book four of the Long Sun series from my dog gene wolfe and i'm having a great time. i see it slept on but i don't get it. it's wildly different from new sun but still shows his skill especially his character writing. it follows more perspectives than just the protagonist but all of the characters are great. they're clever and cunning in their own way and change in compelling ways. my favorite part of new sun is how severian fundamentally changes and wolfe includes mulitple characters who undergo transformations just as vast. narratively it has some shiftiness, moving from what seems like a small scale mystery to game of thrones style political maneuvering to war in the heavens type poo poo. includes his favorite technique of doing a cliffhanger right before the action and then skipping to waaay after it's done then having a character describe or refer to the action chapters later, which i never get tired of. all in all i think it's some of his best character writing and i wholeheartedly recommend it if you're attracted to new sun for things besides it's cosmic/religious aspects, which are a bit more subdued as the scale never reaches quite those same heights but does touch upon some of the same ideas + some gnostic style thinking which i thought was interesting for a catholic guy.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Started Vinland and I’m hooked

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

getting kinda bored by blood meridian... need to switch over to some gene wolfe

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I got the tude now posted:

wrapping up book four of the Long Sun series from my dog gene wolfe and i'm having a great time. i see it slept on but i don't get it. it's wildly different from new sun but still shows his skill especially his character writing. it follows more perspectives than just the protagonist but all of the characters are great. they're clever and cunning in their own way and change in compelling ways. my favorite part of new sun is how severian fundamentally changes and wolfe includes mulitple characters who undergo transformations just as vast. narratively it has some shiftiness, moving from what seems like a small scale mystery to game of thrones style political maneuvering to war in the heavens type poo poo. includes his favorite technique of doing a cliffhanger right before the action and then skipping to waaay after it's done then having a character describe or refer to the action chapters later, which i never get tired of. all in all i think it's some of his best character writing and i wholeheartedly recommend it if you're attracted to new sun for things besides it's cosmic/religious aspects, which are a bit more subdued as the scale never reaches quite those same heights but does touch upon some of the same ideas + some gnostic style thinking which i thought was interesting for a catholic guy.

There's top-tier character writing w/ Silk, Auk, Mint, etc. but it gets bogged down for me in how stylistically different it is from Book of the New Sun. There's lots of dry, repetitive, expository dialog in Long Sun, and even though there's a decent justification for it I really found myself liking each book in the series less than the one before it. Glad you liked it though and from what I've heard Short Sun is even better.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's top-tier character writing w/ Silk, Auk, Mint, etc. but it gets bogged down for me in how stylistically different it is from Book of the New Sun. There's lots of dry, repetitive, expository dialog in Long Sun, and even though there's a decent justification for it I really found myself liking each book in the series less than the one before it. Glad you liked it though and from what I've heard Short Sun is even better.

I love wolfe dialogue and I’m using a podcast as a companion. It’s taken a while still though.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

im currently doing a very slow reread of Book of the New Sun (w/ Lexicon Urthus to make sure i pick up on all the weird archaic english terms Wolfe drops in). it feels so good to come back to these books... i love how the only perspective you get on this strange expansive world is a memoir written by guy who claims to have eidetic memory, but can't keep his story straight chapter-to-chapter. last time i read these i only made it as far as Urth, looking forward to reading Long Sun/Short Sun this time

i tried reading a bunch of old pulp fantasy/dying earth standbys to get a sense of the tradition those books were participating in (Moorcock's Elric books, some of Vance's Dying Earth books) but none of them grabbed me like New Sun. Vance is fun but his stories & prose are very simple & workmanlike (not necessarily a bad thing in a short story); Moorcock is similar but dressed up with a lot of florid descriptions that look impressive but don't contribute much. Wolfe's just the better writer

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
And mint and marble are two of my favorite characters he’s ever written. I love the transformation severian undergoes so him doing that in a couple different ways keeps me engaged.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vance is a weird writer. He turns out some absolutely sublime prose in books like Lyonesse and then some of his work is just extremely workmanlike

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

getting kinda bored by blood meridian... need to switch over to some gene wolfe

still chugging away at it. accidentally unpaused the audiobook on phone speakers in a crowded place and it was a guys head getting lopped off

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

still chugging away at it. accidentally unpaused the audiobook on phone speakers in a crowded place and it was a guys head getting lopped off

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol natalie portman puts the headphones on zach braff and its the blood meridian audiobook

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

lol natalie portman puts the headphones on zach braff and its the blood meridian audiobook

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol