Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

sea king looked pretty dope

no more questions about Shanks arm i hope. that settles it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

“All great fighters call out their finishing moves”
“No they don’t”

Ok, that was a decent gag I’ll admit.

Its a bad gag because Zoro agreeing with him would have been funnier and more appropriate to the character.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its a bad gag because Zoro agreeing with him would have been funnier and more appropriate to the character.

he might change his mind which would work, but i am not counting on that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If it gets people curious enough to check out One Piece proper then it's done its job, and it looks like it could do that.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

i mean zoro calls out his finishing moves all the time too so it's funnier if he just does and never acknowledges his prior disagreement

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Looks bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I refuse to watch live action adaptions on principal and I'm hoping it turns out to be good for all your sakes but it looks pretty mediocre

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Does Mihawk name any of his attacks? I thought not. :colbert:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I mean, the shows almost certainly gonna be garbage but the cast seem keen at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

i mean zoro calls out his finishing moves all the time too so it's funnier if he just does and never acknowledges his prior disagreement

There are ways for this gag to work but i'll never know because I will not be watching.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I mean, the shows almost certainly gonna be garbage but the cast seem keen at least.

honestly everyone involved seems to care for the source material, but that doesnt mean its ognna be good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
mostly im annoyed because there were actually good shows netflix could have lost money on instead

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Begemot posted:

Looks bad.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

don't worry folks I'll watch it and keep the thread up-to-date on this soon to be masterpiece.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
it's me i'm zoro eating the dirty onigiri

even bad one piece is good one piece

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That looks neat and fun, I'll check it out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oda asked me to enjoy the live action one piece and i will try

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
things i liked:
the two shots of luffy strecthing were fine (though the alvida one felt kind of... empty? so they could sell the vfx?)
luffys actor is luffy
lot of the overall vfx looked ok

things that sucked:
costume design looks cheap as hell
netflix anime loves weird fisheye lenses that make zero sense
everything involving nami felt off
luffy making marvel quips

everything else:
fine, whatever

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If he turns around on it and calls out his attacks then it's a good gag, if not, then the show is trash.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If it gets people curious enough to check out One Piece proper then it's done its job, and it looks like it could do that.

I feel the same way. The One Piece anime is not great. At least pacing-wise, it's very daunting. It's hard to recommend it to people, unlike something like Cowboy Bebop. So if this show is decent enough, it could encourage anime/manga likes who are put off by the anime to read the manga!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean all naysayers can just not watch it as the manga is still there, as well as the anime.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece manga thread: do it with a wheDON

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't wanna get into a whole Thing about modern writing trends, but Luffy quipping is just wrong. That's not a thing he does.

There are plenty of characters in One Piece who do! But definitely not him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it’s the opposite, it won’t really appeal to anyone except those who are already fans of the series

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 18, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like Luffy's weird shoes that kinda look like sandals

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I mean all naysayers can just not watch it as the manga is still there, as well as the anime.

You fool you've cursed us to Game of Thrones's fate; Oda's never coming back from break now!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wanted it to be good but it looks awful. I'll still watch it, hoping that against expectations it will be good, but oof that was not a good trailer.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Not a fan of their characterization (the quips) and luffy's voice isn't as excited as I expect it to be when he's shouting he's gonna be king of the pirates. Also the stupid filter and fish eyes poo poo and whatever Depth of Field poo poo needs to go.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

anime was right posted:

everything involving nami felt off

I wanna say she was giving off Scarlett Johansson vibes for some reason

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe it's me but I think one piece (especially the early stuff) should look green and blue.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zoro: they have a clown that float??
nami: they have a clown. that can float

luffy running into frame from around the corner: they have a clown that can float !!
zoro and nami: we know

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m hearing brown and yellow

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

hatty posted:

I’m hearing brown and yellow

Oh, it looks brown and yellow alright.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

my loving Emperor baby

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Live Action Luffy remembers the Buggy Ball because the nightmares won't let him forget.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I do not like this live action one piece

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just dont get why theres quips. like, surely they saw the negative backlash bebop got for having marvel dialogue, why do it here too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s the only way they know how to write jokes please be kind

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its comedy so there need to be quips. Thems the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids