Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I be pedantic and suggest both those names are inappropriate because neither Jocasta nor Oedipus knew they were related? Like, that was the whole point of the story.

Come on Sigmund, I thought you were smart.

Yea, neither of them knew and when they did find out they killed or maimed themselves over it. Oedipus even left his adopted parents because he didn't want the Momfuck Prophecy to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, Freud was all about weird unconscious desires that your conscious self would never even consider acting on. So it's less "Oedipus wanted to gently caress his mom" and more "Oedipus was unconsciously attracted to his mom without realizing it."

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's true

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

:hai:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
not all manga reader site comments are bad.

(commenting on the manga The Faraway Paladin)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The last commenter is not wrong, The Boondocks is pretty good (except for the fourth season).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

I want to read this one. Which one was it?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nebrilos posted:

At a guess, the Haman Office Lady Gundam spinoff?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Chasing Lilies

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

i thought this was just a funny mood until i realized this is from the scanlator that does the library manga. GET OFF YOUR rear end, I WANT MORE BOOK DRAMA

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The All Might profile pic is elevating that last one

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mighty though the ponytail may be, its strength is naught before the power of the pixie cut :colbert:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well this comment section is pure read meat for this thread.

The latest update for "Isekai de Haishin Katsudou wo Shitara Tairyou no Yandere Shinja wo Umidashite Shimatta Ken" has taken the bold stance of "hey, maybe you should treat sex workers like people and not look down on them due to their jobs" and it has brought all the shitheads out of the woodwork.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that this thread is a good place to post this deranged Youtube comment I found on a clip from the 12 Kingdoms anime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GNYV_Tso68

The context of the clip is that this king has been executing huge numbers of people (300,000 per year, which is especially nuts since I'm pretty sure the population of countries in the 12 kingdoms is less than populous Earth countries) for any crime, no matter how minor. People finally rebel and execute the king and his wife (their daughter ends up being exiled and becomes one of the characters that gets followed by the story).

The comment in question (quoted below) is basically like "actually the king wasn't so bad and it was wrong to rebel against him." The part near the end where they mention the daughter of the noble who committed crimes is especially funny, because the story is comically transparent about the fact that the crime was completely fabricated by the king's wife as an excuse to kill the daughter, who she was jealous of for being similarly pretty to the princess. Like the scene in question is literally "someone complimenting the other girl's appearance" followed by the king's wife whispering into his ear about a noble accepting bribery. It very funny to me that someone could see that and be like "such a shame that the noble had to accept bribery..."

quote:

Ah i remember watching this and now that I look back on it more than ever do I disagree with the rebellion. Killing entire families were wrong, but punishing people for theft was wrong why? yes, killing them was no good, but should people be allowed to steal and take what they haven't worked for just because they are starving? Imagine this: Two people. Both need to eat an entire loaf of bread in order to live but there is only one loaf of bread. One of them through hard work manage to buy the bread... but then the other person steals it from them. Should the person that stole it from them be allowed to do so? Yes it is understandable but in the end should be allowed? SO how do you solve it? If the person that bought the bread try to keep it then they would have to fight... now imagine this on the scale of an entire country. This is why there are rules and laws. While a ruler need to take everything into consideration, for the good of the nation and perhaps saving a hundred million people, the ruler might be forced to kill 300 000 people.

Consider this:

When a ruler in the 12 kingdoms die, that nation will quickly be infested by plagues and monsters. In other words, there will be more deaths if the ruler dies than if they lived. So if they wanted to protect the citizens, was killing the ruler really the best solution?

That said, it really was sad. The princess only had a vague understanding of things and never understood what was really happening. She was really good friends with the daughter of a noble that created beautiful dresses. That noble committed crimes and stole money. As a consequence the entire family was executed, including the friend of the princess yet the princess were never aware and never found out.

Genuinely one of the most insane things I've seen - it reads like someone doing an exaggerated imitation of a right-wing "law and order" argument.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Nemo2342 posted:

Well this comment section is pure read meat for this thread.

The latest update for "Isekai de Haishin Katsudou wo Shitara Tairyou no Yandere Shinja wo Umidashite Shimatta Ken" has taken the bold stance of "hey, maybe you should treat sex workers like people and not look down on them due to their jobs" and it has brought all the shitheads out of the woodwork.

That is a surprisingly progressive stance for a series that looks like complete trash

Edit: that I am now reading :sigh:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 20, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Happy Landfill posted:

That is a surprisingly progressive stance for a series that looks like complete trash

Edit: that I am now reading :sigh:

Yeah it’s trash but I am enjoying how hard it goes on the gimmick. And I can give it a point for having the MC go “slavery? what is wrong with you all?” which is more than I can say for a lot of isekais.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A wholesome yandere manga, that's a good bit

As a change of pace, a comment that made me laugh (spoilers for Under Ninja):

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

A wholesome yandere manga, that's a good bit

As a change of pace, a comment that made me laugh (spoilers for Under Ninja):

lol

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Want to read romance manga with progress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm Reincarnated in a World Where Romantic Progress Happens!?!?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

What imaginary romance manga are they commenting on?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i need it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

same tbh

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:hai: and I don't even own a Switch.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/title/c783711c-e593-44e9-83a1-8c95b7f703de/i-asked-my-first-girlfriend-why-she-went-out-with-me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These caption pictures the translator's putting at the end of them suck too so it's no wonder the comments are garbage