Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in a well actually posted:

since they’re not afraid to sell off poo poo now, I’m trying to guess what the funniest buyer would be

i think my answer is ibm or oracle, but broadcom or ca would be funny too

dish network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
verizon

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Apple: "We will pay the absolute minimum we can."
Creative Unions: /makes it so protractedly painful that the absolute minimum ends up being a respectable wage.

a guy can hope.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

it's not that i hate my employees or that i don't value them,

it's that i don't think about them at all

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm not sure how explaining that any side of the strike is or is not personal is meant to alter any of the calculus in the negotiations. Writers are going to apply exactly the same logic and aim to get the maximum amount of money for the work they do, is that personal? If writers are striking because they feel mistreated, i.e. it's personal, and dignified treatment doesn't cost the studios anything, but the studios won't do it anyway, doesn't that mean it is personal on the part of the studios? If the studios' behavior is being carried out at huge scale with no thought to the impacted humans, impersonally, doesn't that make it worse? Why does this dick care about whether or not they sound like one?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Internet Janitor posted:

good news! I also barely think about work or my company at all :grin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Apple: "We will pay the absolute minimum we can."
Creative Unions: /makes it so protractedly painful that the absolute minimum ends up being a respectable wage.

a guy can hope.

yeah I don’t see any other way to read that than “we will only respond to force, so apply force to us until you get what you want” which seems like a weird thing for one party in a dispute to say but I’m not a fortune 5 executive

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zamujasa posted:

guillotine

Just explain to the exec as he’s being lead to the gallows that it really isn’t personal, it’s just good business

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ADINSX posted:

Just explain to the exec as he’s being lead to the gallows that it really isn’t personal, it’s just good business

"just think of how much the company will save when we eliminate you"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can eliminate 100 jobs that saves $10,000,000, or you can eliminate one job and save $100,000,000! now that's efficiency.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'm not sure how explaining that any side of the strike is or is not personal is meant to alter any of the calculus in the negotiations. Writers are going to apply exactly the same logic and aim to get the maximum amount of money for the work they do, is that personal? If writers are striking because they feel mistreated, i.e. it's personal, and dignified treatment doesn't cost the studios anything, but the studios won't do it anyway, doesn't that mean it is personal on the part of the studios? If the studios' behavior is being carried out at huge scale with no thought to the impacted humans, impersonally, doesn't that make it worse? Why does this dick care about whether or not they sound like one?

it's not personal, we don't even think of you as people. you're resources, and we're optimizing our resource usage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've made an anti-union guy bellowing, shaking mad by pointing out that the workers are selling their labour to the company and it's entirely their right to negotiate the price. idk how that never occurred to them before, but they were a small business owner, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tech executives are awful, media execs are awful, no surprise a media exec at a tech company is a loving shitstain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

tech executives are awful, media execs are awful, no surprise a media exec at a tech company is a loving shitstain

that exec doesn’t seem bad though? that’s literally how the system works and everyone knows it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
perhaps we should stop normalizing psychotic behavior under the guise of "business"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you cant, because it’s not about behavior it’s about incentives

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haha this owns

https://twitter.com/immasiddtweets/status/1669721470006857729?s=46&t=SGjc-kX_f4F_yldTowt91w

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

fart simpson posted:

you cant, because it’s not about behavior it’s about incentives

buying twitter at a gigantic loss and then torching thousands of jobs for the incentives

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im talking about the apple exec

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kinda sad that i recognized it but that first one at least is a default unattended key for pro edition, you can find it in an ini file in the iso image

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

that exec doesn’t seem bad though? that’s literally how the system works and everyone knows it

while saying cutting executive pay would do nothing and that they e.g. value workers whose jobs they offshored, sure

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

kinda sad that i recognized it but that first one at least is a default unattended key for pro edition, you can find it in an ini file in the iso image

my first guess would be that its regurgitating a list somebody posted on reddit and when it starts to run out it begins generating gibberish with the same shape as a valid key

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

my first guess would be that its regurgitating a list somebody posted on reddit and when it starts to run out it begins generating gibberish with the same shape as a valid key

i didn't check but i think they're all unattended keys. second one looks familiar too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Internet Janitor posted:

we also charge people 10 bucks every time they make a really bad post, which would solve twitter and reddit's cashflow problems instantly

buddy if sa actually did this then i would be single handedly putting jeffrey's kids through college right now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

i've made an anti-union guy bellowing, shaking mad by pointing out that the workers are selling their labour to the company and it's entirely their right to negotiate the price. idk how that never occurred to them before, but they were a small business owner, so maybe that had something to do with it.

lol even governments seem to miss this. like the UK government is run by free market nutters (scrap all regulations! Child workers and poisoned chicken for all!) but when e.g.doctors go "actually were poorly paid and highly skilled so go gently caress yourself pay us more or we'll leave" suddenly the fair market price for labour is actually bad????

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think gcp disappearing is that likely even, i think google at some point has to get spooked about how vulnerable they are if ads is all they have even going on.

google is not that smart

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Internet Janitor posted:

“I’m a stay-at-home mother, I don’t even think about cars and trucks and all that nonsense. Why should I look before crossing the street?”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the harder you ignore something, the easier it blindsides you

ignorance is bliss and doom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

does anyone actually expect google to "DO THE WORLD WIDE WEB GOOD" anymore? i mean, they even removed "don't be evil" from their mission statement or whatever it was
"manservant Hecubus, write me a chat program."

"no, master."

(to camera) "eviiil!"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol even governments seem to miss this. like the UK government is run by free market nutters (scrap all regulations! Child workers and poisoned chicken for all!) but when e.g.doctors go "actually were poorly paid and highly skilled so go gently caress yourself pay us more or we'll leave" suddenly the fair market price for labour is actually bad????

its because the government works on behalf of the bourgeoisie, op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

governments exist to protect the rich from the poor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a baked in huge secular decrease in labor supply from peeps not having babies in nearly every first world country, especially asian ones, too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/grady_booch/status/1670176276848705537
robomaid

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there is no cloud robot, it's just somebody else's computer

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Zamujasa posted:

there is no cloud robot, it's just somebody else's computer

Unironically, in the replies apparently it's someone controlling it with a VR setup

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

more like "when your grift vastly exceeds your ability to implement"

sweatshops: the ultimate minimum viable product

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh neat this definitely won't lead directly to techno slavery

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dammit why did we get lame cyberpunk instead of cool cyberpunk

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Armitag3 posted:

Unironically, in the replies apparently it's someone controlling it with a VR setup

i cannot imagine how vomit inducing it would be given that it would by nature have high latency between "what you're doing" versus "what you're seeing/feeling" :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
would be a lot more tolerable with a non-vr flatscreen, but that isn’t enough buzzwords