Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

prisoner of waffles posted:

Anyone buy a set, build it yourself, then disassemble and re-bag it for your kids to do later?

In the original bags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Anyone buy a set, build it yourself, then disassemble and re-bag it for your kids to do later?

I went to ridiculous lengths to get all of my childhood sets disassembled for the kids to remake. Since I’ve only been back into lego for a year or two, I haven’t gotten to the point of disassembling newer sets but I’m just about there in terms of cycling out shelf space.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

I don't have kids, but I build sets, then rebag them and send them to my godson. He doesn't care that they've been built already and his parents like not having to buy them. I do keep some sets, but don't have room to store everything I'd like to build.

We do the same thing with jigsaw puzzles, though we send those on to a wider range of people.

Also, I bought my first modular recently, Assembly Square. The build has been really fun and I'm looking forward to getting some of the others. Thanks to the folks in the thread that have posted pictures of their modular builds.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Brickworld Chicago going on right now, here's a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv06bbj_AqU

Seems... big

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I always feel like there's too much repetition/wasted space in those super-sized collaborative builds.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Both the taj and the pyramid are nice but they aren't castles, which is what i realise i actually want from micro builds.

Doesn't just have to be real ones either, someone earlier suggested a micro minith tirith or edoras, and id be down for those too. It's the Asymmetric structures built into the landscape that looks great.

people have been begging for neuschwanstein since the architecture sets started. i am one of them.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Futanari Damacy posted:

I always feel like there's too much repetition/wasted space in those super-sized collaborative builds.

Having just been there, I don't think so. I'll try to upload pics later, but my big comparison would be the Louisbourg setup at the front vs the cyberpunk. Both were huge , but going super vertical for cyberpunk let them pack in huge amounts of detail and action and vignettes onto every floor. Louisbourg/brick I could barely even see details on since it was an accurate recreation you couldn't get up close to since it's so horizontal.

People need to do photos of it rather than videos, because it's absolutely jammed with stuff. My son was looking at the water level / bottom floor a lot, I was seeing stuff higher up. It is overwhelming at first glance and you need to stand there for a while looking at it all

Frankly the most impressive thing is how they get it to the show intact. Carbs I can see bubble wrapping his cars, but the big cities..how???

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 18, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
frick i finally got around to building my pirates of barracuda bay that i opened and gave up on a while ago........but the sails are missing! i dunno if i lost em or what. is there any cheap way to replace those?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

trevorreznik posted:

Having just been there, I don't think so. I'll try to upload pics later, but my big comparison would be the Louisbourg setup at the front vs the cyberpunk. Both were huge , but going super vertical for cyberpunk let them pack in huge amounts of detail and action and vignettes onto every floor. Louisbourg/brick I could barely even see details on since it was an accurate recreation you couldn't get up close to since it's so horizontal.

People need to do photos of it rather than videos, because it's absolutely jammed with stuff. My son was looking at the water level / bottom floor a lot, I was seeing stuff higher up. It is overwhelming at first glance and you need to stand there for a while looking at it all

Frankly the most impressive thing is how they get it to the show intact. Carbs I can see bubble wrapping his cars, but the big cities..how???

They are modular. Think big baseplates that separate and they join together at the show.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Borsche69 posted:

people have been begging for neuschwanstein since the architecture sets started. i am one of them.

Maybe the press from having a murder near there will bump it to the top of the to do list

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dogen posted:

Maybe the press from having a murder near there will bump it to the top of the to do list

Can't wait to see the recreations with two minifigs halfway down the side of a foot tall stack of burps

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just placed my first order with YWOBB. Hoping it will get here by my birthday in August and that I actually get what I ordered. Will be my first non-Lego kit. Fingers crossed

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless something goes wrong, you should be fine for that. I found ywobb took around 2-3 weeks for my fairly basic order. Marstoy slower at a month or so with tracking that doesn’t kick in until it enters the US, and Temu always manages to get things here in like 7-10 days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I completely forgot to buy stuff from Wicked Brick! I'm gonna get that done now. :shobon:

Decided against custom display cases for 75249 and 75336, just the stands for now. I do need cases, though, and I'm gonna be cheap and DIY them. Basically, I want two things:

1. Protect the set from dust when on display
2. Make the set easy and safe to transport for when I move in a few months

Is there a DIY case that handles both of these? Or if not, what are my best DIY options for each individual case? (How do you transport sets, anyway?)

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

I finished the ninjago city markets the other day. A decent build overall, but ninjago city is such a hard act to follow.

The technic joint does make it feel nice and secure though. I have less anxiety about moving it around than I do some of the other sets that span over a baseplate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
NCMarkets should be renamed to NC 1 stud connections.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I went to bed last night wishing I had bought a bunch more of those mariachi build-a-figures so I could have a whole band. Now I've only got one lonely dude.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

I went to bed last night wishing I had bought a bunch more of those mariachi build-a-figures so I could have a whole band. Now I've only got one lonely dude.

Just go eat at some taquerias until a mariachi band shows up and then you will never want your own mariachi band again.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol:

:guitar::sax::drum:

:mad:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Got my husband the supra for Father's day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Justifier is on sale at my local Walmart for $119 - Just North of PDX

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://youtu.be/sWS9CCe7hmc lmao at a 2 and a half hour interview about all the parts of the cyberpunk build. I can't get over how insane it was

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGL5yYaGkww

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Looks nice buuuut $59.99 USD

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

RatHat posted:

I like that a lot! Bout $20 overpriced, of course, but I love the use of color as lighting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Price point seems about on par with those Star Wars dioramas. So yeah, overpriced for sure but not shocking.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

well now i have to buy it because it goes with pirates of barracuda bay

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
speaking of i finally finished building barracuda bay (minus the sails), but i think i messed up somewhere because the plates don't exactly line up as i can't push them all the way together

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RatHat posted:

I really like the scale of the tower vs the home vs the river and town

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of scale that’s an absurdly big dog

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

At that price, where are the minfigs for the boys?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Hopper posted:

At that price, where are the minfigs for the boys?

like a sexier version of tinkerbell?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry "of" the boys I meant to say. Wendy's brothers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why is Tinkerbell the same size as Peter and Wendy?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pope Corky the IX posted:

To sell the set.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sunk Dunk posted:

like a sexier version of tinkerbell?

lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

she's closer

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sunk Dunk posted:

speaking of i finally finished building barracuda bay (minus the sails), but i think i messed up somewhere because the plates don't exactly line up as i can't push them all the way together

So how do you feel after assembling the GOAT?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Waltzing Along posted:

So how do you feel after assembling the GOAT?

it was a good and fun build. it's so huge i'm gonna have to immediately disassemble it though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The ship version has a much smaller footprint, I'd recommend it.