Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

not long ago I was telling people tech was in a bubble and I was told I was wrong because number go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

how about now :)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

well I hope you're happy

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot imagine how vomit inducing it would be given that it would by nature have high latency between "what you're doing" versus "what you're seeing/feeling" :barf:

i'd imagine the least vomit-inducing way to control a robot like that in VR would be third-person: use the robot's map of its environment to project what it can see as a space the operator can wander around, and then let them show the robot where it should move

the latency is still a huge issue

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres like 8 companies in this market, some with shipped product used by thousands of weird experts. surgeons, deep ocean well peeps, etc. the real solution is to have a direct line to the hospital or the offshore platform, paying $$$$, and deal with the 5microsec lag

this looks real... consumery

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
davinci rolls their own network appliance for reduced lag

https://www.davincisurgerycommunity.com/intuitive/docs/813331-33_OnSite_Whitepaper.pdf

but this is like, 500k a pop yougottaknowaguy sales, cycle length months to years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
even like 20-30 ms is probably pretty bad. washing dishes on a delay through a vr headset sounds like the world's worst game

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

overlay colorful graphics and pretend it's an actual game and trick gamers into doing it for free

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh don’t worry, nobody who matters will be piloting it :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shame Boy posted:

overlay colorful graphics and pretend it's an actual game and trick gamers into doing it for free

aren’t those called drones

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
davinci surgery was also founded in the year 2000 as subsidiary of intuitive, founded '95, so you know, mature market

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

dammit why did we get lame cyberpunk instead of cool cyberpunk

capital also read the genre

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

sweatshops: the ultimate minimum viable product

you can always brute force a solution if nothing else works.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

play-to-earn games making a big leap

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

The other issues is basically every city in the US gets a large share of its tax revenue from commercial property taxes. I’ve previously written that San Francisco gets somewhere around 40% of its entire tax revenue from this sole source. What are cities going do do when 20-30% of their entire tax revenue just up and disappears? That’s an apocalyptic event.

$1.7m public parks
$3.4m refuse collection
$17.5m public transportation
$42.6m social services
$1876.2m police

somebody who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my city is dying.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
s/candles/police

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

but seriously local governments (and the federal government with the military which are Big Police) can’t imagine doing anything differently, and idk if we’ll ever see that change in our lifetimes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

oh don’t worry, nobody who matters will be piloting it :shepface:

welcome to 'let's game it out', and on this episode I accidentally assassinated several silicon valley bilionaires

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Shame Boy posted:

isn't this the plot to enders game

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this was always the obvious solution. humans are cheap, automation is expensive, and difficult to implement. now the only moderately wealthy have a chance to directly exploit developing world labour, without having to see any of the labour

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats been true since the late 1800s tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the best way to tell if some process can be automated (at a reasonable cost) is if its currently automated

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like that the person is only concerned with privacy issues

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Shame Boy posted:

i like that

what happened to how?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

not long ago I was telling people tech was in a bubble and I was told I was wrong because number go up

a comparison i've been cooking up for a while is that if things continue on the path they're on right now, the internet is going to end up as the digital equivalent of the loving dust bowl. A vast, barren landscape, once bountiful, sucked dry from equal parts greed and poor planning and assumption of infinite gains. Vast spam storms blot out everything, sites are buried up to their windows in scams or AI generated bullshit or worse. A few humans remain, either out of stubbornness or lack of other options, and everyone else flees to where the actual people are, whether that's IRL or in isolated communities where spammers or AI pushers are eradicated on sight with butlerian zeal.

bonus points if this coincides with the actual second great depression

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think of it more as an ocean of poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gnossiennes posted:

uh, kinda?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

nobody is talking about tricking kids into committing genocides

…yet

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

…yet
Are you sure that isn't what 4chan is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Are you sure that isn't what 4chan is

I don’t think any channers are able to say “gently caress this game” and wipe out all life on a planet

once again… yet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also 4chan is all old guys now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

hobbesmaster posted:

…yet

yeah idk about that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t think any channers are able to say “gently caress this game” and wipe out all life on a planet

i mean yeah this is true i guess

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

also the robin williams movie toys

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

also the robin williams movie toys

fao schwarzkopf was a solid joke in a very bizarre movie

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
we also don't have any child prodigies posting so well on reddit that the entire world elects them leaders

guess we'll have to wait and see on that one, lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Reddit, no

Twitter? Well..

"Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest - and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure, it's not your fault"

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Internet Janitor posted:

we also don't have any child prodigies posting so well on reddit that the entire world elects them leaders

guess we'll have to wait and see on that one, lol

lol Ben Shapiro as Locke

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

koolkal posted:

Reddit, no

Twitter? Well..

"Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest - and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure, it's not your fault"

that's not so much a child prodigy as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
featuring Abby as Demosthenes