Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It's absolutely perfect. It simultaneously looks overbudgeted and like a fan film and it's embracing its own medium with absolutely no shame whatsoever. Greatest TV show of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Marvel is to blame for all of this

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Gyges posted:

Coby is blonde instead of pink haired? 0 out of 10, Netflix should be shot.

He's pink-haired, it's just a light pink (more of a tint). I like it much better than a hot pink, bowl cut, cheap cosplay wig.

Gyges posted:

The fact that neither Usopp nor Sanji had a single line in the trailer is indicative of either the overall dialogue being bad, or the dudes who cut the trailer just combing through for the couple of lines that most pop in the standard trailer way.

Or just that they're mostly focusing on the first couple of episodes in this trailer, and those two don't appear until later.

It wouldn't surprise me if this trailer was made months ago, before most of the series had gone through post-production.

jassa fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 18, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Gyges posted:

Live action Merry masthead is still kind of terrifying and continually makes me think of the goat in Drag Me To Hell.

THAT’S what it reminds me of, goddamnit

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I can't wait to illegally download it and never watch it.

It turns out that Laugh Tale was The Pirate Bay this whole time.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Cmon fellas. You need to respect yourselves.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

All the humor in the trailer didnt land at all. It also incredibly irked me that zoro was acting like he wasnt on the crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't think Nami's tits jiggled once, are we sure Oda is involved?

As far as the stretching goes, having the camera follow the path of his fist instead of giving a wide shot might actually work. As well as stretching powers can in a live action can anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gyges posted:

I don't think Nami's tits jiggled once, are we sure Oda is involved?

As far as the stretching goes, having the camera follow the path of his fist instead of giving a wide shot might actually work. As well as stretching powers can in a live action can anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgASZay15ew

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Posting this trailer at the start of a 4 week break is either a violation of the Geneva convention or the greatest possible gift. We are lined up for a solid month of dissecting every frame of this and arguing about Stuff My Uncle Who Works At Nintendo told me about producing a television series. Goda strikes again with his excellent planning.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Legitimately, I didn't hate the trailer. The most blasphemous thing in there to me was legitimately Usopp having a normal nose, which I get.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ragnarokette posted:

Posting this trailer at the start of a 4 week break is either a violation of the Geneva convention or the greatest possible gift. We are lined up for a solid month of dissecting every frame of this and arguing about Stuff My Uncle Who Works At Nintendo told me about producing a television series. Goda strikes again with his excellent planning.

I wonder if this trailer was cut before they threw everything out and redid massive parts of the show

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Trailer was fine. Got me somewhat excited and what do I care if Netflix blows millions on this, I'll still always have the manga. As long as it's a fun retelling it'll be fine in my eyes.

I do hope it's not too quippy but I also don't watch every single marvel movie like some kind of freak so I'm less sensitive to it than I used to be I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait to see if they go CGI replacement or full prosthetics for Arlong and his crew.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Tolth posted:

It's absolutely perfect. It simultaneously looks overbudgeted and like a fan film and it's embracing its own medium with absolutely no shame whatsoever. Greatest TV show of all time.

Unironically this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

All the humor in the trailer didnt land at all. It also incredibly irked me that zoro was acting like he wasnt on the crew.

It's worth remembering that Zoro and Nami weren't actually super-loyal to Luffy early on. I don't think Zoro's portrayal in the trailer was particularly out-of-character for very early One Piece.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

It's worth remembering that Zoro and Nami weren't actually super-loyal to Luffy early on. I don't think Zoro's portrayal in the trailer was particularly out-of-character for very early One Piece.

To this point, Nami does straight up rob them blind.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

Aah, I think I get it now- you want Luffy to be more aloof? Manga Luffy basically never shows any interest in talking to people about their issues. He just does stuff when he has to.

I had never thought of aloofness as one of Luffy's defining or most appealing characteristics, but I guess he really is pretty aloof and verbally uncommunicative in the manga. It's a testament to Oda's skill as a writer that so much of Luffy's character is shown by his actions.

Things are going to be different in this adaptation, and I don't think it's worth getting too bothered by that myself. Maybe Zoro doesn't call Luffy captain right after getting rescued. That's okay. The story where he does that still exists, and will always be the real story of One Piece. This is going to be a reinterpretation where Luffy is chattier to help a modern TV audience connect to him in 8 episodes or whatever they have. His chattiness has still managed to capture the essence of his character, I think, from the extremely limited examples we see in the trailer. That's honestly pretty impressive to me- they managed to capture his character while making changes appropriate to the medium.

I have no idea what you mean by "crutch" when you keep bringing it up. You mean something useful? The TV show has different constraints and a different audience with different expectations and is using different tools. If you think using those tools leads to issues with the story or characterization in specific cases, I can respect that. But just expressing hatred of those tools as if they're self evidently lazy and bad doesn't make much sense to me.

Goofy quips are a perfect fit for One Piece.

Yes I want the guy literally named Aloofy to be aloof as portrayed in hit manga One Piece.

Silver2195 posted:

Zoro was loyal. He calls Luffy his captain as soon as he's untied. I thought I was losing my mind reading these replies and reread the first 30 chapters. A trait of someone not loyal: Rowing hours to an island to rescue a dumbass who got eaten by a bird. Then risking your life to rescue him from a cage he somehow got put into.

Nami also at this point is lying to herself about liking them. Even if she wasn't loyal she would still say she was just to steal your poo poo later.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "crutch" when you keep bringing it up. You mean something useful? The TV show has different constraints and a different audience with different expectations and is using different tools. If you think using those tools leads to issues with the story or characterization in specific cases, I can respect that. But just expressing hatred of those tools as if they're self evidently lazy and bad doesn't make much sense to me.

Goofy quips are a perfect fit for One Piece.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

these screens represent an industry that gets billions of dollars, people love this trash

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its almost like hack writing has always existed and theres a discernible set of tropes that have existed for the past 10-15 years that are overused and annoying...... drat...... anyway, guess that doesnt exist

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That board looks like a script from award winning show 30 Rock

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zoro early on seems pretty keen on dumping luffy if poo poo doesnt work out (even if he agrees) but by the end of baratie luffys grown on him

hatty posted:

That board looks like a script from award winning show 30 Rock

bc they invented or popularized like half of them (along with how i met your mother)

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 18, 2023

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I ended up thinking the trailer looked…pretty good? Like it seems like just about the best way you could conceivably do a live action One Piece, what with that being a completely insane idea in the first place. If there’s somehow a second season I’m looking forward to CGI homunculus Chopper.

My partner knows absolutely nothing about the series, so her reaction to the trailer was “What country is this supposed to be? Why does he stretch? I’m extremely confused but I don’t hate it I guess?” She liked the Sea King a lot. :shobon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Why does he stretch?

Yo ho ho...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Watching the trailer again, it's kind of weird that the worst hair shown is Nami's orange hair, followed by Sanji's mildly bleach burned looking do.

Kild posted:

Zoro was loyal. He calls Luffy his captain as soon as he's untied. I thought I was losing my mind reading these replies and reread the first 30 chapters. A trait of someone not loyal: Rowing hours to an island to rescue a dumbass who got eaten by a bird. Then risking your life to rescue him from a cage he somehow got put into.

Nami also at this point is lying to herself about liking them. Even if she wasn't loyal she would still say she was just to steal your poo poo later.

Zoro was going to cut off his feet so he could fight a dude, but then stopped half way and struck a pose so that he'd look cool if Luffy failed. You can't judge any of the Strawhats with normal logic, but you absolutely especially can't judge Zoro's loyalty based on whether he'd do something dangerous for you.

Early One Piece Zoro was still pretty skeptical of Luffy, judging whether or not he was worth of following. It wasn't until around Baratie when he fully became a true bro. At the same time he was also not super down with Nami until after Arlong Park. I don't think it was until Franky joined that he wasn't at least a little weary of each new member.

Remember, Luffy is the guy who will believe anything if you give him a slice of turkey. All the other crew members, other than Chopper, are mildly to highly skeptical of other people. Nami and Zoro butting heads while she's looking for the best time to rob them blind and he's deciding if he can trust a pirate thief is entirely normal.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2023

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Kild posted:

I think you should loosen up a bit and accept that the show is not going to be a one-to-one match to the manga if you don't want to drive yourself insane

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I found the “tension among the crew” comment fine and less worrisome than the discussion of finishing move names, mainly cause the latter seemed to be one of those “live action adaptations winking at the silliness of the source material” jokes that a lot of these things feel they need to do to let audiences know they are all in on the joke. But as a lot of people have pointed out that seems to be a tailor made setup to have Zoro start doing it himself, so it will probably work out fine.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Remember that trailers can and will lie. The dialogue might not even be in the show.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ManSedan posted:

Remember that trailers can and will lie. The dialogue might not even be in the show.

a man who ate the cope cope fruit and became a "cope man" ..............

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ManSedan posted:

There are rumors that David Simon was called in after the trailer to re-write the dialogue and its much grittier and realistic now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

luchadornado posted:

There are rumors that David Simon was called in after the trailer to re-write the dialogue and its much grittier and realistic now.

"I just shot a clown. Come and get him."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

luchadornado posted:

I want the Snyder cut.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

luchadornado posted:

Where's Kuina? Huh, Sensei?

SENSEI

WHERE THE gently caress IS KUINA

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DRAGON IS YOUR DAD?

*Luffy jumping around excited to have a dad* What's he like

He's a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist and the most wanted man in the world!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kild posted:

I want the Snyder cut.

Save....Sabo!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trailer could've been worse

Even if the show is great, though, I don't expect it to survive Netflix tightening its belt

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Runa posted:

Trailer could've been worse

Even if the show is great, though, I don't expect it to survive Netflix tightening its belt

The Warrior God of Finance is truly the most powerful of the Five Elders.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kild posted:

DRAGON IS YOUR DAD?

*Luffy jumping around excited to have a dad* What's he like

He's a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist and the most wanted man in the world!
"I have a dad?" honestly works pretty well as a quip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tolth posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting 'no shame whatsoever' when Zoro sounds disgusted at the idea of calling out his finishing moves.