Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My cucumber plant is making poor choices!

I'll snip that stalk for lunch today to save us all some trouble later on.

5 dill plants is definitely too many for a 5 gallon bucket, right? Maybe I should just take that plant entirely for tasty sour cream dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How much does yellowing of old polycarbonate matter for greenhouse application? I can only find "our stuff won't yellow" or "you should replace it if it yellows" but no actual deets on if whatever spectrum yellowing impacts matters.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Rough couple weeks for my garden. Got super busy at work and prepping for an unplanned move (landlord is selling the house and we didn't want to buy it). All of that as we got hit by this:

One of my fig cuttings absolutely melted in the heat, even in the shade. It's probably going to lose all of its leaves although hopefully it doesn't die.

Meanwhile the pepper plants that I was weeks late starting and even weeks later transplanting are starting to recover from being practically mummified by the heat. I guess we'll see if I actually get any peppers.

Also my Isle of Naxos basil bolted. Still smells basil-y so maybe I caught it just in time. Even my sage and thyme are struggling in this heat. And it's still technically spring!

effika posted:

5 dill plants is definitely too many for a 5 gallon bucket, right? Maybe I should just take that plant entirely for tasty sour cream dip.

Sounds like it's just the right amount then :getin:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought this trash basil plant from the supermarket, I paid $5 for it and I was hoping I could nurse it back to life because even at the store, it had a bunch of brown mottling on the leaves. I've had it for almost 3 weeks now and it has hardly grown. The brown has stayed on the leaves and no amount of care has helped it heal.

Am I out of luck? Is this a very difficult fungal infection? Is there any hope in getting a normal basil plant out of this or should I just cut my losses.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Supermarket basil will come in the smallest possible pot and with the minimal amount of nutrients in the growth medium to get it in the store and have it live there for a couple of weeks. It's going to be rootbound and will need repotting and feeding at the very least. Basil is pretty easy to grow from seed or propagate from cuttings, don't get too emotionally invested if this one's sick.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Supermarket basil will come in the smallest possible pot and with the minimal amount of nutrients in the growth medium to get it in the store and have it live there for a couple of weeks. It's going to be rootbound and will need repotting and feeding at the very least. Basil is pretty easy to grow from seed or propagate from cuttings, don't get too emotionally invested if this one's sick.

I'm surprised that Basil is easy to grow from seed. My attempts always are stunted or die and then I buy a plant from the nursery

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I positioned my squirrel traps in places where only a guilty squirrel could reach. Inside of netted beds, up fruit trees, etc.

Natural carrying capacity for the lot size I live on is about one or two squirrels, in ideal forest with plentiful acorn and nut bearing trees. In the span of two and a half days the traps have caught twelve, and there are still 3-4 more that are taking fruit from the trees because I can't reset the traps fast enough.

Beyond absurd, it is literally impossible to grow enough in a garden to satisfy that sort of population and have anything left over for yourself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I came in peace you fuzzy bastards, this is on you.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Squirrel murder is the way

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

:same:

Also, one of my daughters has decided that all squirrels are named Phillip. So that's what I yell at them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phillip the garbage bin lol.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

captkirk posted:

I'm surprised that Basil is easy to grow from seed. My attempts always are stunted or die and then I buy a plant from the nursery
I mean I'm never growing it for long term keeps if that makes a difference. I can't keep it from bolting in the summer, so I just smush the whole thing into pesto and start over. Seeds in some dirt, water and that's it. Not aware of any pitfalls or tricks. I must be lucky that way.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

captkirk posted:

Growing basil from seed I've had the most luck with putting a bunch of seeds in a shallow hole in the soil...like six or eight instead of the two or three you'd do with most seeds...and then getting a couple seedlings and culling all but the best one. This is for direct sowing; I've had less luck growing basil from pots/peat pellets/whatever.

With transplanting grocery story basil, I tried that first year of the pandemic and none of the transplanted plants were vigorous. Second try I took cuttings from "regular" grocery store basil (that is, not the bare root "live" basil stuff) by picking the best-looking bits, trimming off the end of the stem, stripping off the lower couple leaves (so there was ~4" of bare stem), rooting the cuttings in a mason jar with just water, and then transplanting when they had a bunch of roots developed. I ended up using RO/DI water because they weren't rooting in my (very hard) tapwater, but otherwise it pretty much took care of itself.

That's all for Italian/Genovese basil. Thai and holy basil I've always direct sown.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shifty Pony posted:

my chef neighbor who hunts makes a mean squirrel stew

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was watching a video from some seed farm where they were starting basil seeds directly on top of the soil, seems like they like to be at most barely covered by soil

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eke out posted:

i was watching a video from some seed farm where they were starting basil seeds directly on top of the soil, seems like they like to be at most barely covered by soil
This is what I do. Scratch up the dirt with a leaf rake, scatter seeds on top, water well. It's important to water pretty regularly until they sprout.

Exact same thing for zinnias and marigolds too.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Hi thread, I started a bunch of plants hydroponically and more did well than I expected so my growing area is super overcrowded.

In this photo I am growing

Habanero x3
Tomato
Basil - speaking to the conversation above I started this from seed in a rockwool cube. I had about 50% success rate with them
Dill x2
Corriander

I am thinking I am going to harvest the dill and dry it. I am really tempted to try planting the tomato plant and putting it outside. Is that going to kill it? I feel like I have to move it because it's way bigger than I expected and going to take over everything. Any other suggestions are appreciated, I don't really know what I am doing

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 18, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Airdried dill is difficult to keep any flavor from. Your best bet might be to make dill salt

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I agree: I suggest trying some quick fridge pickles with the dill (cucumbers are classic) and making dip with the rest. Fresh dill is a very delicate flavor and doesn't dry well.

Look up "hardening off" for the tomato. It might do great, but it's going to need some help.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you have excess fresh dill, it is an excellent addition to pickles! Try baby carrots.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

captkirk posted:

Basil is a bitch to start indoors, because it's very susceptible to a fungus called "damping off", which makes the stem wither in the middle, the leaves flop over, and the whole thing die. If you want to start basil indoors, have a fan blowing on it the whole time.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've got a ton of basil going outside. Just threw some seeds out there. Thyme, too. Rosemary looks like it's trying but who knows.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Thanks for the dill suggestions. I will start with refrigerator pickles and make dill salt with the rest. Googling hardening off

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 19, 2023

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

went to the garden center to get some dirt an d a single parsley plant, came back with some purple bumble bee and sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. one week from official summer and finally cracking 70 F ...

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
how do i best killing and hurting aphid

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hello gardening thread!

I will be moving into my first ever house, and having my first ever garden, at the end of the week. I am very excited!

But I am... not a plant person. The only plants I've ever been able to keep alive long-term have been sundews, which apparently thrive on whatever shortcomings I have as a gardener, and the two tiny oak trees I have growing on my windowsill, which have not gotten any larger in several years but otherwise seem perfectly happy. For pretty much everything else, it's been a long, slow, inevitable death.

I am ready for all of that to change, and/or to achieve massive plant death at a scale I never have before, this time outside!

The only specific thing I really want to grow at this point is a bunch of dogbane and lemon hearts, but beyond that I dunno.

What are a few good useful or edible "easy" plants I can add to that list to try out? I assume it's too late in the season to bother with most stuff at this point?

Also appreciate advice on growing both of the previously mentioned target plants effectively. The lemon hearts at least should be simple, I am pretty sure you need to actively try to not grow them in most places, but my son loves them so it will mostly be about growing enough to keep up with his appetite. The dogbane, no idea.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

People will tell you neem oil and whatnot.

Blasting with a hose or smushing with your fingers are the only things that work for me.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Bought a house late last year, and now this year I get to enjoy all the SURPRISE PERENNIALS coming up everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

The POs had a little raised bed, and plants have been coming up in there. I'm trying to figure out what's growing there. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out based on smell alone (oregano, garlic chives) but a couple have me stumped. I'm hoping/assuming they're all edible, because they're together with other edible stuff, but I'm not about to just taste them and find out.

#1:

Google thinks this is stevia.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looks like fleabane and orpine (stonecrop).

Coming back to this, they've grown HUGE and flowered and it definitely seems like daisy fleabane. They're so big I might need to do something about them soon because they're preventing the vine behind it from getting almost any light.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Thanks for the dill suggestions. I will start with refrigerator pickles and make dill salt with the rest. Googling hardening off

Don't sleep on garlic dill green bean pickles either. Chili peppers optional but highly recommended.

And tzatziki.

GlyphGryph posted:

What are a few good useful or edible "easy" plants I can add to that list to try out? I assume it's too late in the season to bother with most stuff at this point?

Herbs. Rosemary, sage, thyme (parsley too if the song is stuck in your head now), oregano, mint. Especially mint, you basically have to try to kill it. My rosemary and sage were literally grown from cuttings from a grocery store packet.

I also really like chives but in my (limited) experience they really take off in year 2.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Watch out with mint. It will do lovely in a container or well isolated raised bed. Do not fall for the trickery! The instant you put it in the ground somewhere else it will go crazy and you'll be cutting, pulling up, or spraying mint sprouts until you move.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I've sprayed blue dawn and vinegar to spot treat it if it's just a bit.

Cute option is to go grab a bag of lady bugs and let them loose on your garden

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

GlyphGryph posted:

Also appreciate advice on growing both of the previously mentioned target plants effectively. The lemon hearts at least should be simple, I am pretty sure you need to actively try to not grow them in most places, but my son loves them so it will mostly be about growing enough to keep up with his appetite. The dogbane, no idea.

Do you know what zone you're in? Your climate dictates what you can grow outside and when you should plant different things.

One caveat: I'm not familiar with lemon hearts, so I googled it and it's in the oxalis family. I know it as wood sorrel. Here's an except from practical plants about oxalic acid: https://practicalplants.org/wiki/oxalis_stricta/

quote:

The leaves contain oxalic acid, which gives them their sharp flavour. Perfectly all right in small quantities, the leaves should not be eaten in large amounts since oxalic acid can bind up the body's supply of calcium leading to nutritional deficiency. The quantity of oxalic acid will be reduced if the leaves are cooked. People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones or hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet since it can aggravate their condition
I mention it because you said your son likes the stuff. Probably not a big deal, but I'd keep an eye on his consumption.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chad Sexington posted:

People will tell you neem oil and whatnot.

Gardening Thread: NEET oil

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rojay posted:

I mention it because you said your son likes the stuff. Probably not a big deal, but I'd keep an eye on his consumption.

Yeah, something I noticed looking them up a while ago, but it seems to require a lot more than even he eats to be an issue.

rojay posted:

Do you know what zone you're in?

New house is in RI, which according to this map is... zone 6?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Herbs. Rosemary, sage, thyme (parsley too if the song is stuck in your head now), oregano, mint. Especially mint, you basically have to try to kill it. My rosemary and sage were literally grown from cuttings from a grocery store packet.

I also really like chives but in my (limited) experience they really take off in year 2.

Sounds like a good place to start then. I also love chives and don't mind if they take a bit to take off, hah.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

it's that time of year again. how can i best engage in mass murder against spotted lanternflies

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

w00tmonger posted:

Cute option is to go grab a bag of lady bugs and let them loose on your garden

While this is tremendous fun and feels like it should maybe be a crime they mostly just disperse without doing anything of you don't have an unoccupied habitat for them.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
If you're really lucky some of the ladybugs lay eggs before they leave. The juvenile ladybugs look like something from Starship Troopers and are little aphid murdering machines. I could sit and watch them all day, definitely the most entertaining form of aphid murder.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

When people talk about getting ladybugs to eat the aphids off their plants, I thought the juveniles were what they were talking about

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hydropnic tower fell over.... Couple sections broke so I'm hoping the roots survive over the next 12h while I wait for new parts to print.

Luckily it's raining today so fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

Watch out with mint. It will do lovely in a container or well isolated raised bed. Do not fall for the trickery! The instant you put it in the ground somewhere else it will go crazy and you'll be cutting, pulling up, or spraying mint sprouts until you move.
My parents' trick: Plant the mint under the water tap you use for the hose or to fill buckets. The moisture will make the mint happy. Mow the lawn ruthlessly around the tap. The mower will smell nice for a bit, and the mint runners will be enough under control for most purposes.

In Zone 6, planting at midsummer, and wanting some fun easy plants: Do you want food or flowers or both? This late in the season I would buy from your local garden store/nursery, or Home Depot if that's all you've got. Assuming you want flowers: marigolds are pretty close to un-killable in my experience, but the only colors are in the red-orange-white range. Petunias are pretty tough, too, and cover the pink-to-blue-to-purple range. If you want to do food, I would recommend putting in seeds of carrots and radishes, which are extremely satisfying: you put visible (key!) seeds in the ground, very soon you have sprouts, and in ~~30 days you have edible roots. Come early fall, put in some kale seeds and you'll be eating greens up to Thanksgiving or so.