Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I love vice grips.

Need to hold a chisel or punch? Vice grips
Bolt or nut rounded? Vice grips
Hydraulic hose blew? Vice grips and two wrenches
Screw stripped? Vice grips
Hold a nut from spinning in a blind spot? Vice grips
Need to cut some thick/hard wire? Vice grips
Need to hold sheet metal in place? Vice grips
Need a lever handle for a throttle but don't want to buy one? Old vice grips
Need to clamp wires to a battery "temporarily". Vice grips

Vice grips are almost as useful as a 4lbs hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Want to loosen a rusted nut or bolt? Vice grips and 4 lb hammer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah I was removing some carpet that the previous owner had, for some mind-boggling reason, tacked down around the edges with strips that had been stapled and glued down and then had wide-head roofing nails run through em. Just complete pervert poo poo.

Oscillating tool to the rescue.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Want to loosen a rusted nut or bolt? Vice grips and 4 lb hammer.

Don't forget the slide hammer vise grips.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never owned a multitool but drat I saw how useful it could be when cutting rusty sheet metal on a car last night, particularly when you don't have a lot of space to move. I think I need to get a multitool now.

Nothing can make a plunge cut quite like a multi tool.

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

Innovation of the century: vice grip on a noga mag base

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
So is the DTO Ridgid Gravy Train™ finally over? Almost all Ridgid items disappeared from the site and the 20 or so left are all recons, so don't carry the warranty. Damnnnnnnnn.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Guyver posted:

I love vice grips.

I have to few 4lb hammers. Though a half inch rachet comes in clutch sometimes....

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

So is the DTO Ridgid Gravy Train™ finally over? Almost all Ridgid items disappeared from the site and the 20 or so left are all recons, so don't carry the warranty. Damnnnnnnnn.

I hope not. I’m knee deep in orange and would like to continue to buy cheap tools and not use them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guyver posted:

I love vice grips.

I use my vice grips exclusively to hold pop-up sprinklers so I can change the heads

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My vice grips spent 3 years as the handle for the height adjuster on my riding mower after I snapped half of it off on a tree branch.

Finally replaced the actual part a few weeks ago and am waiting to see where they will spend the next 3 years.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

At the end of my '98 Ranger's life, I used a pair of vice grips as the headlight switch. The perfect tool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When my aunt & uncle built a new house a bunch of my other relatives had the vice grips that served as the old house screen door handle for >10 years bronzed and mounted in a shadow box.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I had a vice grips permanently attached to the tightener bolt arm on my shaper cutter shaft so it wouldn't decide to slide up or down on its own. My son in law has had that shaper for 6-7 years now so idk.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vice grips: the temporary permanent fix.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So a fellow goon on a goon discord pointed this out to me (Not sure what their SA name is):

https://jehoshaphatresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NEW-ON-TECHTRONIC-Fraud-Against-Home-Depot-June-2023.pdf

The TL;DR is Ridgid Tools, at least as far as "Factory Blemished" goes, is going away on Direct Tools Outlet for the foreseeable future. Currently there are no "Factory Blemished" tools listed. This is likely in response to the report linked above.

More or a less short seller firm, Jehoshaphat Research, previously did research and made allegations on TTI's (the owner of Ryobi and Ridgid brands, as well as Milwaukee) accounting practices (stories here and here). They then followed up on doing a report on DTO selling new tools as Blemished, and how this was "defrauding" Home Depot.
https://twitter.com/jehoshaphatrsch/status/1665893867109883905?s=46

The inventory database on DTO was more or less open for queries (see page 34 of the report) so the short firm was able to calculate how much total stock they were selling of Ridgid products as factory blemished. Since the report was released, DTO has pulled all Ridgid factory blemished products.

Jehoshaphat Research is trying to increase the short on TTI stocks and make their name on what they deem "Blemishgate" (because everything needs to be named after Watergate)

It was good while it lasted. No idea what this means for Ryobi factory blemished, other than that may follow suit eventually too.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2023

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
That was me, just sucks. I guess at least we Home Depot hacks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guyver posted:

I love vice grips.

That trick your dad uses when ripping with a circular saw by pinching the end of the base plate with thumb and forefinger? Vice grips (instead of fingats)

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Many years ago in the early days of Woot.com, they had a 2 pack of some sort of knockoff vice grips for sale. Having basically no tools at the time, I bit on the cheap deal. They mistakenly sent me 2, two packs so I got two big and two small ones. These were a "Lockjaw" brand version of the concept.

They are by far the best vice grips type tool I have ever used. The adjustment screw sets pressure, which will be constant no mater the clamping diameter. The handles are also much more comfortable; only downside is that they are slightly wider than most vice grips, can be a problem in very tight access locations. I've never seen these anywhere again so I thought the Woot offering was a closeout/foldup of the company, but I've just realized they are still out there. No idea if this is a reputable seller but this is for sure the product. Kinda tempted to grab one of those discontinued needle nose versions. https://www.toolsource.com/lockjaw-m-28092.html

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any knowledge when it comes to garden tractors? Specifically Bolens brand garder tractors? Our land is nowhere big enough to justify a full size tractor, but a smaller one would be useful if we could hook up various attachments like a sickle bar mower (we want to cultivate meadows), tiller etc since we are doing some minor landscaping etc.

I know nothing about the tractor world, so one big question is when it comes to attachments. Are attachment points / attachments generally "universal", or are there a ton of proprietary stuff going on? The same with mechanical parts. Are they generally hard to find, or are there a ton of universal parts (since I gather many gardering tools use 3rd party engines etc?).

Any input is appreciated! I'm looking at a Bolens Husky 1053.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 26, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm just getting into these myself, but there are definitely proprietary attachment systems.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

On mobile so not looking that up, but from painful experience I can assure you that SCUTs with 3 point hitches are little more than specialty close quarters equipment that are just underpowered under weight toys when.compared to a proper compact utility tractor. I wouldn't consider one for any real loader work - too light, don't lift high or far enough to even dump into a small dump trailer effectively, the one I had struggled to keep speed on any sort of grade with the PTO pushing anything more than a mid mount mower.

Utility tractors are already a series of compromises. The sub compact ones are a few compromises too far for me.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
A quick Google tells me that's a 50 year old 10-17 HP garden tractor, unless you're just looking for a project to tinker on or just like the idea of reusing old devices I can't say that sounds very useful. I'm not as against sub-compact utility tractors as Motronic but at least those have real, if not lower capacity, 3-point hitches, garden tractors do not and it's the 3-point hitch, with PTO shaft, that makes tractors universal tool using devices.

That's a glorified riding mower, and I can't imagine recommending it for even mowing unless its very, very cheap.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

Posting this in the AI tools thread as well.

For those of you who might be looking, Tekton has 20% off sale on ratcheting wrenches right now until some time in July I think.

Also the email I got mentioned that there will be some discontinued sets going on clearance in the not too distant future.

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/ratcheting-wrenches

Just reminding any of y'all MFs that are looking for some ratcheting wrenches.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have those and they're surprisingly good, plus they're 6point which is ideal for me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I snagged the Ryobi dual inflator and am wondering if anyone has inflator tip recommendations?

The high pressure hose came with 3, but the low pressure hose is just a rigid round opening with an "attachment" that makes it like a small cone, both of which are essentially useless on their own since they don't make a good seal with whatever needs to be inflated.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

Just reminding any of y'all MFs that are looking for some ratcheting wrenches.

Thanks, dood. Love a good stubby ratshit set, me.

Johnny Truant posted:

I snagged the Ryobi dual inflator and am wondering if anyone has inflator tip recommendations?

The high pressure hose came with 3, but the low pressure hose is just a rigid round opening with an "attachment" that makes it like a small cone, both of which are essentially useless on their own since they don't make a good seal with whatever needs to be inflated.

What are you trying to inflate. The standard tip on it works for tires. Obviously, it's going to go faster on a wheelbarrow than a truck tire, but it'll eventually get it up to safe. The low pressure round thing is probably for some air mattresses or pool toys, idk.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, that'll just screw right onto a Schrader valve, which is what most (US) bicycles use, and pretty much every automotive tire in the world.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah the high pressure hose tips are fine, it's only the low pressure I'm looking for different interfacing tips.

Low pressure one is an ~1" in diameter tube that terminates in a rigid opening with the possibility to fit a cone shaped nozzle onto. Neither the rigid opening or the cone nozzle worked well with the stand up paddleboard I was trying to inflate.

If that still doesn't make sense let me know lol, I'm working atm but could do a few quick screen captures or take a photo that I think would clarify what I'm talking about.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes that low pressure poo poo is hard / has a unique fitting. Low pressure is good at filling those clear plastic inflation holes for like beach balls and yard blowups.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah the high pressure hose tips are fine, it's only the low pressure I'm looking for different interfacing tips.

Low pressure one is an ~1" in diameter tube that terminates in a rigid opening with the possibility to fit a cone shaped nozzle onto. Neither the rigid opening or the cone nozzle worked well with the stand up paddleboard I was trying to inflate.

If that still doesn't make sense let me know lol, I'm working atm but could do a few quick screen captures or take a photo that I think would clarify what I'm talking about.

The biggest problem is the ryobi dual inflator high volume side can't get a paddleboard up to full pressure on its own. You might need to switch it to the high pressure side to top it off. Amazon has a bunch of different adapters and nozzles for paddbleboards, You will want to keep the ryobi hose because it uses a proprietary female connector to attach to the inflator. You may need to make your own hose that connects the ryobi hose to the paddleboard. The best part of the paddleboard nozzle is that you can remove it without losing pressure. There is an adapter that connects to a paddleboard and has a high pressure schrader valve on the end for high pressure inflation.

https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-A...89&sr=8-17&th=1

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

quote:

The TL;DR is Ridgid Tools, at least as far as "Factory Blemished" goes, is going away on Direct Tools Outlet for the foreseeable future. Currently there are no "Factory Blemished" tools listed. This is likely in response to the report linked above.

More or a less short seller firm, Jehoshaphat Research, previously did research and made allegations on TTI's (the owner of Ryobi and Ridgid brands, as well as Milwaukee) accounting practices (stories here and here). They then followed up on doing a report on DTO selling new tools as Blemished, and how this was "defrauding" Home Depot.
https://twitter.com/jehoshaphatrsch/status/1665893867109883905?s=46

The inventory database on DTO was more or less open for queries (see page 34 of the report) so the short firm was able to calculate how much total stock they were selling of Ridgid products as factory blemished. Since the report was released, DTO has pulled all Ridgid factory blemished products.

Jehoshaphat Research is trying to increase the short on TTI stocks and make their name on what they deem "Blemishgate" (because everything needs to be named after Watergate)

It was good while it lasted. No idea what this means for Ryobi factory blemished, other than that may follow suit eventually too.
Short sellers ruining a good thing for consumers is so awesome

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Short sellers ruining a good thing for consumers is so awesome

The short sellers got nothing to do with screwing consumers. It's fraud. Or that's what they're claiming.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

The short sellers got nothing to do with screwing consumers. It's fraud. Or that's what they're claiming.
Fraud against home Depot though, so a victimless crime.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

Fraud against home Depot though, so a victimless crime.

Sure thing, boyo, until they jack up their prices to YOU THE CONSUMER to cover their losses.

Or hell, maybe not. Maybe they'll just shrug and go under like so many of the old timey lumberyards they finished off.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Mambold posted:

Boring non lawyer legal thoughts from the toilet below…

It all seems to turn on what the exclusivity terms and blemish definition are though which they kinda hand waive in my quick scan.

If TTI agreed to only sell sufficiently blemished tools and blemished is defined then indeed TTIs breach smells like fraud. Blemish is a material fact to the contract for this reason it seems. TTI obviously knows they’re not blemished. Home Depot relied on TTIs contract and didn’t “audit” them because of affirmative representations in the contract and on the website that they were blemishes.

Though if all that is defined in the contract it seems like the “fraud” is just a breach. You’d walk down the fraud path if you didn’t define those things, which can quickly start undermining your fraud claim. Or maybe if the representations were outside the scope of whatever contract you want to allege was breached.

TL;DR: Conclusory statements and fraud claims, name a better pair.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 27, 2023

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I can’t imagine a company the size and complexity of HD didn’t know what was happening. They turned a blind eye to keep exclusivity for Milwaukee and Ryobi. Who cares about Ridgid, which falls in a middle ground that, with todays prices, nobody really considers as a tier of its own.

While arguably there’s a contractual problem here, it’s a mountain out of a molehill in real business terms.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Schiavona posted:

I can’t imagine a company the size and complexity of HD didn’t know what was happening.
The thing is while this paper quotes like reddit... there are other websites that promoted these deals, community sourced or otherwise, that almost definitely had a rep/contact at home depot. It's possible that said rep never looked at all those amazing sales that were being sold on the same websites that they were promoting home depot sales on, but this has been going on for... at least 3 years. Probably longer. At least in regards to Ryobi, but Ridgid too probably. Or maybe the home depot rep(s) noticed it but didn't pass it on up the ladder. Not going to say more on that though.

But yeah I find it unlikely HD didn't know.

I find it more likely HD knew, but it either didn't know the extent of it and/or they didn't care that much about it. Companies often let things slide to preserve a valuable agreement.

I was talking with Bob Mundon after he brought this up and I took a closer look at it... what I find more likely is that Home Depot knew to some degree, but didn't want to rock the boat. However, for Jehoshaphat Research, because they want to make a name for themselves and profit on shorting the stock, it doesn't matter if Home Depot corporate knew or not. What matters is that they've revealed this is happening, and now you have activist shareholders asking about it, which means action may or may not take place but also share prices will be affected for shorting it. All that matters is they found something that could potentially hurt the shareholders, thus giving more gas to drive the short.

Now, devil's advocate:

The Home Depot Dewalt 7-piece Power Tool Set for $99 Price Mistake of 2022
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2914751&pagenumber=1374&perpage=40&highlight=dewalt#post521123997

A bunch of people ordered this. As far as I know most of them shipped; like clearing out Home Depot's inventory shipped (because everyone kept ordering until it was sold out). Hundreds, likely more than a thousand units, possibly even beyond that. Not only that, but Home Depot in many cases cancelled the orders and refunded money... yet still shipped out product for the cancelled orders to people. This included people that ordered more than one. It's a demonstration that Home Depot's ecommerce logistics is behind the times, and doesn't have enough checks in it to properly cancel orders.

We affectionately refer to it as the "Bee Box" deal since it's yellow and black. As someone who works for a deal site, I would probably say this was the largest price mistake of 2022. I only ordered one, but the set gets some use :D.

This is a counter example of how Home Depot, being this big complex company, also doesn't have their poo poo together, and could have missed what was happening at DTO.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

On mobile so not looking that up, but from painful experience I can assure you that SCUTs with 3 point hitches are little more than specialty close quarters equipment that are just underpowered under weight toys when.compared to a proper compact utility tractor. I wouldn't consider one for any real loader work - too light, don't lift high or far enough to even dump into a small dump trailer effectively, the one I had struggled to keep speed on any sort of grade with the PTO pushing anything more than a mid mount mower.

Utility tractors are already a series of compromises. The sub compact ones are a few compromises too far for me.

Elem7 posted:

A quick Google tells me that's a 50 year old 10-17 HP garden tractor, unless you're just looking for a project to tinker on or just like the idea of reusing old devices I can't say that sounds very useful. I'm not as against sub-compact utility tractors as Motronic but at least those have real, if not lower capacity, 3-point hitches, garden tractors do not and it's the 3-point hitch, with PTO shaft, that makes tractors universal tool using devices.

That's a glorified riding mower, and I can't imagine recommending it for even mowing unless its very, very cheap.

I see. I'll try to look for something small that has 3-point hitches and PTO shafts. There are some popular smaller tractors like the Fergusson TE20 that are pretty common, popular and cheap here. I have a hard time seeing us having a tractor bigger than that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I sneezed midway through drilling a hole and snapped a bit :pwn: