Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No. A submarine has to be kinda sinkable to work in the first place.

Let that sink in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No. A submarine has to be kinda sinkable to work in the first place.

Concerning.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
can’t elon just send a cybertruck out to find the missing sub?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ben shapino posted:

Let that sink in

!!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

B-Rock452 posted:

I lost it when it turns out they have no way of tracking where the sub is and had have the surface ship text them directions

Somehow communications broke down! Can't imagine what went wrong

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
why didn’t they just use quantum entanglement to communicate?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So if you die from the pressure at that depth, do you go instantly?

I REALLY don't want to research that.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

E the Shaggy posted:

Your body is transformed to the consistency of Nutella in .005 seconds. You do the math.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don’t know, do you die instantly when you’re crushed between a steel wall and an 18 wheeler going at 100mph?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

E the Shaggy posted:

Not instantly, but "faster than your nervous system can register it" and that's what matters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Probably have enough time to let out a ruh roh before things get heavy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
bro, my nervous system is so fast i need a 240 Hz monitor for counterstrike, i guarantee you i would feel every agonizing millisecond of being pasted and boiled from rapid pressurization

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ComfyPants posted:

There was an article a while back about the US Navy using Xbox controllers for their periscopes because it was cheap and just worked better than anything they came up with, so that’s what I was expecting.

But no, it’s some sort of knockoff

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1670850045657186304?s=46&t=NcYZVtoPeX6rG9flHBMFfg

quote:

This is not your grandfather's submersible; inside, the sub has about as much room as a minivan. It has one button. "That's it," said Rush. "It should be like an elevator, you know? It shouldn't take a lot of skill."

Hmmmm

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
think they ate the billionaire yet?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Two people were found dead in a car outside Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada. Police say there's no evidence of foul play. Elon sending a message to whistle blowers?

e: https://www.kolotv.com/2023/06/17/two-found-dead-vehicle-outside-tesla-gigafactory/

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus, it's not even an Xbox controller. It's a cheap Logitech with weird thumbstick mods.

I knew a girl like this.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Two people were found dead in a car outside Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada. Police say there's no evidence of foul play. Elon sending a message to whistle blowers?

That's a loving leap of logic. Have any sources or details to that wild postulation?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No. 6 posted:

That's a loving leap of logic. Have any sources or details to that wild postulation?

Two bodies were found dead outside of Tesla's Gigafactory. Why else would they be there.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

No. 6 posted:

They were probably sleeping in the parking lot after working 48 straight hours and got cooked.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
has anyone offered to debate elon about the bodies yet?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

No. 6 posted:

If you think it's such a wild postulation, why don't you debate the bird???

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The funniest / dumbest / saddest thing about the death sub, is that apparently it doesn't actually have a real window, just a video feed from an external camera.

So like... you could just lock the billionaires in the tube, lower like 20 feet down into the water, play them a pre-recorded video, and they'd never know the difference.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or, y'know, send a robot submersible and don't go down there at all

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Data Graham posted:

Or, y'know, send a robot submersible and don't go down there at all

All the robot submersibles kept coming back gay!!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
$250,000 to be buried near the titanic seems oddly reasonable given the cost of funerals and poo poo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

they were using starlink for the gps and also twitter people (and elon?) have bad opinions about it

why use starlink for gps when they can use gps for gps?

note i dont know the exact specifications of starlink and musk's bullshit make it hard to understand whats his bullshit and what is real

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assume they meant they were using starlink for internet connectivity.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I also like how they call out the cost of a literal million dollars of fuel. I get that a proper expedition can have really specialized and expensive things going on, but I don't see any way a hobby kit can spend 7 digits of consumables on a single day's dive

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Entropic posted:

The funniest / dumbest / saddest thing about the death sub, is that apparently it doesn't actually have a real window, just a video feed from an external camera.

So like... you could just lock the billionaires in the tube, lower like 20 feet down into the water, play them a pre-recorded video, and they'd never know the difference.

Oh my god ...:psyduck:, so they paid six figures to go watch a screen in one of the most inhospitable places on the planet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The military has been integrating video game controllers for remote vehicles in part because many of the troops already have hundreds or thousands of hours using them and they don't need as much training.

priznat posted:

If I've learned anything about carbon fibre, it's when it replaced wood for hockey sticks the sticks were way way more strong, consistent and had the exact flex each player wanted for their particular game. However, where a wood stick will give signs of fatigue and wear before developing splits/cracks, the carbon fibre sticks will seem totally fine until all of a sudden without warning they would literally explode from a hard shot.
Every player should use a wood stick while on the penalty kill imo.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
This sub was just a stopgap anyway. Once the cybertruck is built, they’ll repurpose that into a submersible and be able to use it to go down to see the titanic. They are also going to stick it on top of a SpaceX rocket in place of a crew capsule. Since Elon built it, it can do anything!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bird with big dick posted:

e: https://www.kolotv.com/2023/06/17/two-found-dead-vehicle-outside-tesla-gigafactory/

yes im hearing from many credible sources that elon personally killed both of the victims, many people are saying it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imo the military should lobby microsoft to have gyro in their controllers so the military can have hybrid* aiming styles for their drone program.

*sticks for micra aiming, gryos for micro. this similar to how mice players can do arm and wrist, or dpi switches

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Nowher posted:

Oh my god ...:psyduck:, so they paid six figures to go watch a screen in one of the most inhospitable places on the planet.

Similar to rich people getting carried to Everest by sherpas nowadays who are packing a dozen heavy oxygen tanks just for you so you can say you did it and other people have not.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

imo the military should lobby microsoft to have gyro in their controllers so the military can have hybrid* aiming styles for their drone program.

*sticks for micra aiming, gryos for micro. this similar to how mice players can do arm and wrist, or dpi switches

the splatoon motion controls with a pro controller are pretty great, maybe the military can set something up with nintendo of america

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

sorry but you are going to a place more dangerous than space and you have to use this mad catz controller we picked up at good will.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
joke answer they should get real life to patch it so only US troops(and are using controllers) have aim assist thats crazy good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

I also like how they call out the cost of a literal million dollars of fuel. I get that a proper expedition can have really specialized and expensive things going on, but I don't see any way a hobby kit can spend 7 digits of consumables on a single day's dive

To be fair they're also commissioning the boat that takes them out there (which is apparently moonlighting as it was described as an oil rig support ship), and it sounds like they usually spend at least a few days waiting for proper weather conditions/redoing scrubbed dives before finally executing a successful outing.

I have no sympathy for the poor beleaguered DIY deep submersible to the stars business, just saying, it does sound reasonable to ring up that much overhead for the whole operation.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ruddiger posted:

Probably have enough time to let out a ruh roh before things get heavy.

dare I ask what this was from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zamujasa posted:

dare I ask what this was from?

SDWAY, S1e03 "A Clue For Scooby Doo." 9/20/1969

Featuring the Ghost of Captain Cutler