Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

StormDrain posted:

Never trust an existing stop valve.

Never trust an existing stop valve, have a cheap set of 100 varying-size washers to fix it when you inevitably have to turn off the main water supply, and change out the stop valve if it's fully hosed. Chances are that "the next guy" that will have to deal with it is going to be you anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Never trust an existing stop valve, have a cheap set of 100 varying-size washers to fix it when you inevitably have to turn off the main water supply, and change out the stop valve if it's fully hosed. Chances are that "the next guy" that will have to deal with it is going to be you anyways!

Just replace them all with quarter turn valves as you go.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Microwave decided to stop microwaving. Ordered a new one that I get to pick up from best buy today! Kind of excited, the old one wasn't very good, it is too big, no sensor cooking, loud fan, poor light that got hot, and was kind of broken for a long time in that once in a few uses you'd shut the door and the inside light, fan and Turntable would spin as if it was cooking but no microwaving.

New one is slim format with the most powerful fan. Still a Samsung which is a huge con in my list.

I also have glad I got a few quotes for my new shower enclosure, first quote was $2700 and the latest is from a company I know and worked with for $1600.

Goddamn microwave came with a dent.

Makes food real hot though which is nice.

Also I wish I had the time to redo this backsplash. It already was on the list since the new oven is a slide in rather than standalone and the shorter microwave added to it AND helps you see it easier.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The dent gives it character.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

StormDrain posted:

Also I wish I had the time to redo this backsplash. It already was on the list since the new oven is a slide in rather than standalone and the shorter microwave added to it AND helps you see it easier.

nice selfie

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Can't you return that microwave and get a replacement that is also bigger so you don't have to do boring tile work? Also, based on my experience the over the stove m/w's last about 3 years because they get destroyed by steam/heat and usually the touch panel and circuit boards go nuts.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My over the stove G.E Profile micowave is going on 11 years I've had my house + however long the PO had it. I did have to replace a part or two but nothing related to steam.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Keyser_Soze posted:

Can't you return that microwave and get a replacement that is also bigger so you don't have to do boring tile work? Also, based on my experience the over the stove m/w's last about 3 years because they get destroyed by steam/heat and usually the touch panel and circuit boards go nuts.

I'll replace it for an identical one. The form is a selling point for me and I chose it specifically so I can see the rear burners better and it gets it higher away from the cook top. I actually don't mind tile work and I just did my bathroom upstairs so all the stuff is still at the ready.

I also understand that people don't like otr microwaves and I don't care.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

I was considering getting this microwave for my kitchen remodel but am kinda worried about how far it sticks out from the cabinets. Does it look stupid from the sides/top?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

I was considering getting this microwave for my kitchen remodel but am kinda worried about how far it sticks out from the cabinets. Does it look stupid from the sides/top?

No, actually. I was worried about that too, and I was worried that it was deep enough that I wouldn't get an improved sight line when I'm standing at the stove, which isn't true, it's so much improved over what I had.

I'll snap ya a pic from an angle tomorrow. I noticed nearly everything online was head on like I just did and assumed it was more flattering.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Microwave decided to stop microwaving. Ordered a new one that I get to pick up from best buy today! Kind of excited, the old one wasn't very good, it is too big, no sensor cooking, loud fan, poor light that got hot, and was kind of broken for a long time in that once in a few uses you'd shut the door and the inside light, fan and Turntable would spin as if it was cooking but no microwaving.

New one is slim format with the most powerful fan. Still a Samsung which is a huge con in my list.

I also have glad I got a few quotes for my new shower enclosure, first quote was $2700 and the latest is from a company I know and worked with for $1600.

Oh shoot you just reminded me, mine died two nights ago! But I'm going to look into used ones at thrift stores.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

No, actually. I was worried about that too, and I was worried that it was deep enough that I wouldn't get an improved sight line when I'm standing at the stove, which isn't true, it's so much improved over what I had.

I'll snap ya a pic from an angle tomorrow. I noticed nearly everything online was head on like I just did and assumed it was more flattering.

Thanks! I would appreciate that. I decided on a Samsung range so I am going to either get that 1.1cuft Samsung microwave or a 1.7cuft one they have which is 3" shallower but 6" taller.

Edit: I also have realized that the cabinet I bought to put above the microwave at the ceiling is way too loving short (15") and will have to get something taller if I don't want to be having to reach over my head to use a microwave. Ah well, ordering flexibility is definitely a perk of going with Ikea cabinets.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 21, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Dave posted:

My over the stove G.E Profile micowave is going on 11 years I've had my house + however long the PO had it. I did have to replace a part or two but nothing related to steam.
GE Profile is their luxury line, and (one would hope) better made than their usual.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

Thanks! I would appreciate that. I decided on a Samsung range so I am going to either get that 1.1cuft Samsung microwave or a 1.7cuft one they have which is 3" shallower but 6" taller.

Edit: I also have realized that the cabinet I bought to put above the microwave at the ceiling is way too loving short (15") and will have to get something taller if I don't want to be having to reach over my head to use a microwave. Ah well, ordering flexibility is definitely a perk of going with Ikea cabinets.

Whats your measurement from the bottom of cabinet to top of cook top? Recommended from the install was 30" and minimum clearance from cook top to microwave was like 14.5" which seems super close to me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

Whats your measurement from the bottom of cabinet to top of cook top? Recommended from the install was 30" and minimum clearance from cook top to microwave was like 14.5" which seems super close to me.

With no microwave in place: 44"

If I go to a 20" cabinet then we're at 39". 28" clearance if I go with the slim microwave, 22" with the bigger one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

With no microwave in place: 44"

If I go to a 20" cabinet then we're at 39". 28" clearance if I go with the slim microwave, 22" with the bigger one.

Holy cow! I'd say you could go with an even bigger upper then, but it looks like ikea goes straight from 15-20-30. 24-28 would be perfect I think.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

Holy cow! I'd say you could go with an even bigger upper then, but it looks like ikea goes straight from 15-20-30. 24-28 would be perfect I think.

Unfortunately, yeah. I think I am gonna go for the 20" and maybe I'll get the taller microwave just so it doesn't look so empty. I've been sitting here playing around with their kitchen planner tool because it is really hard for me to visualize it all with my kitchen being an empty room right now.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

GE Profile is their luxury line, and (one would hope) better made than their usual.

Lol no. The house came with a GE profile from ~2015, and it stopped microwaving, so I bought the exact same model to replace it. The new one is a little different in every goddamn way, including the mounting system, profile, wattage, and height.

They're as bad as Gigabyte about revisions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

While appliance shopping the sales guy tells me microwaves are pretty much all made by the same company, and are going to function mostly the same regardless of brand and I should stick with the same brand as the range to make sure the finishes match. This Wirecutter article seems to back that up.

Edit: oh hah, LG and Samsung are the only ones that entirely make their own it seems

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 21, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I thought Panasonic and their inverter tech was unique to them? As in it actually lowers output power when you turn it down as opposed to cycling off/on which is far superior?

Or am I on glue?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

slidebite posted:

I thought Panasonic and their inverter tech was unique to them? As in it actually lowers output power when you turn it down as opposed to cycling off/on which is far superior?

Or am I on glue?

Yeah that article says Panasonic makes its own mid-range and high-end models but the cheapies are done by the same company as everybody else.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I think often the opposite is true. [Higher end consumer product] usually means more features, which means more things to break. "More robust" and "longer service life" would be popular features, but don't seem to be available a lot of the time :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Epitope posted:

Man, I think often the opposite is true. [Higher end consumer product] usually means more features, which means more things to break. "More robust" and "longer service life" would be popular features, but don't seem to be available a lot of the time :(
I am on side with you, but an argument could be made that they could use higher quality components on the more expensive/premium line.

With my experience with most manufacturers, they'll use the exact same parts from a low end to high end model where interchangeable wherever possible and pocket the difference as higher gross profit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

slidebite posted:

Or am I on glue?

Panasonic's patent expired so you can get inverter units from other manufacturers. Toshiba makes a bunch of them, looks like the Emerson brand has some too.

Be careful ordering them as Amazon search results are fucky. I intended to get a Toshiba inverter unit but accidentally didn't because Amazon returned an identical-looking but not-inverter device in response to a search for the product number I wanted.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shifty Pony posted:

Panasonic's patent expired so you can get inverter units from other manufacturers. Toshiba makes a bunch of them, looks like the Emerson brand has some too.

Be careful ordering them as Amazon search results are fucky. I intended to get a Toshiba inverter unit but accidentally didn't because Amazon returned an identical-looking but not-inverter device in response to a search for the product number I wanted.

Amazon is getting militantly deceptive with search poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All gaze upon my diving board rear end microwave.

Edit, I'm going to move the cleat down a bit to level it front to back as part of this ordeal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tell me more about that very cute lil' electric tea kettle

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tell me more about that very cute lil' electric tea kettle

Limited-time deal: DmofwHi Gooseneck Electric Kettle(1.0L), 100% Stainless Steel BPA Free Classic Pour Over Coffee Kettle | Tea Kettle - Green https://a.co/d/4KFAkTc

The brand marking is made of the worst ink possible and washed off leaving it unmarked. This is a feature. It also only has a simple toggle on/off switch. This is also a feature. I use it every day for americanos. It's hot about a minute after the espresso machine has started up, depending on the water level.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dang it does stick out a ways doesn't it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

StormDrain posted:

Limited-time deal: DmofwHi Gooseneck Electric Kettle(1.0L), 100% Stainless Steel BPA Free Classic Pour Over Coffee Kettle | Tea Kettle - Green https://a.co/d/4KFAkTc

The brand marking is made of the worst ink possible and washed off leaving it unmarked. This is a feature. It also only has a simple toggle on/off switch. This is also a feature. I use it every day for americanos. It's hot about a minute after the espresso machine has started up, depending on the water level.

Once we got an induction stove we found it boiled water in a pot as fast as an electric kettle, so we got rid of ours when it broke. One less gadget in the kitchen to take up counter space was a win for us.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

His Divine Shadow posted:

Once we got an induction stove we found it boiled water in a pot as fast as an electric kettle, so we got rid of ours when it broke. One less gadget in the kitchen to take up counter space was a win for us.

I nearly did the same, however I still use this just for the auto shutoff. I've forgotten two kettles before, I'm a menace. I need an alternative process for my safety.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

a dingus posted:

I know they make Bluetooth fans with speakers but they should make one that plays a continuous loop of barfing & farting sounds to really cover up those noises.

nah, too long for a thread title

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Home zone: a continuous loop of barfing & farting sounds

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Years ago I was tripping balls at a festival and someone was playing a loop like that at the Porto potties. I was inside and couldn't tell if the sound was me, someone else, if they were in there with me or what. Now that I think about it Im not even totally sure it was a sound loop. Could have been someone in another toilet.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

StormDrain posted:

All gaze upon my diving board rear end microwave.

Edit, I'm going to move the cleat down a bit to level it front to back as part of this ordeal.

Is that your over the range microwave oven or are you just happy to see me?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Home zone: a continuous loop of barfing & farting sounds

I just have my fan switch rigged to a laptop that reads my posts out loud instead.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

a dingus posted:

Years ago I was tripping balls at a festival and someone was playing a loop like that at the Porto potties. I was inside and couldn't tell if the sound was me, someone else, if they were in there with me or what. Now that I think about it Im not even totally sure it was a sound loop. Could have been someone in another toilet.

I mean, you were tripping balls

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I probably need a need faucet for my kitchen sink. Do I have any options at Home Depot or Lowes that are actually better quality then the builder grade Moen my house came with. Bonus points if it can be expected to last more than 3 years.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, home depot and lowe's should carry some more expensive options. At some (fairly low) point on the price scale you basically are just paying for the styling and features though - so I'd just pick a faucet with the features you want and a look you want and not worry too much about the rest. Just my opinion.

e: I used build.com when I couldn't find what I wanted at lowe's in the past and had a good experience. Maybe your city has some specialty stores that could provide more options as well....

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

extravadanza posted:

e: I used build.com when I couldn't find what I wanted at lowe's in the past and had a good experience. Maybe your city has some specialty stores that could provide more options as well....
My contractor buddy loooooves build.com especially for plumbing fixtures. If you have a Ferguson location near you, I think you can pick stuff up there if they have it in stock.