Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

galagazombie posted:

She can’t, because she sees the teacher as “over” her and thus immune to her powers. Why else do you think she’s so worried about missing school?

She needs to go to school so she can get free pudding cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Plutonis posted:

She 100% is getting good grades by mind controlling the teacher

Denji has noted that Nayuta is smart on her own which is why he is collecting money for her college tuition. I doubt she needs to mind control her teachers for good grades.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Flair posted:

Denji has noted that Nayuta is smart on her own which is why he is collecting money for her college tuition. I doubt she needs to mind control her teachers for good grades.

On the other hand, this is Denji we're talking about. He might consider anyone capable of multiplying two numbers in their head to be a genius.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the other hand, this is Denji we're talking about. He might consider anyone capable of multiplying two numbers in their head to be a genius.

Denji's pretty bright, in his way. It's just that "in his way" does a lot of heavy lifting.

He's getting passing grades in high school despite never having a day of education previously, he managed his own finances well enough to survive for around a decade, and tends to defeat his foes with his tactics, not brute force.

If he thinks Nayuta's a genius, she's probably a genius.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Denji's pretty bright, in his way. It's just that "in his way" does a lot of heavy lifting.

He's getting passing grades in high school despite never having a day of education previously, he managed his own finances well enough to survive for around a decade, and tends to defeat his foes with his tactics, not brute force.

If he thinks Nayuta's a genius, she's probably a genius.

yeah she solved the latest crisis with a rather elegant solution. didn't really need to lift a finger and it resolved itself neatly. that's pretty genius level to me

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 17, 2023

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I think Denji probably has a pretty good understand of math out of necessity, its just most other subjects he was pretty lacking in.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
do you guys think Denji feels more like a big brother or a father to Nayuta

or are the lines very blurred and we can't say either

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

wokow6 posted:

I think Denji probably has a pretty good understand of math out of necessity, its just most other subjects he was pretty lacking in.

Literally the first thing we see is him mathing out how much he actually has out of the money he just made.

Denji is socially awkward but he's not dumb school wise

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Denji is a perfect example of an extremely intelligent person who seems dumb because he lacks basic education and common sense that comes from growing up in an actual society.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Denji has been doing math his whole life with the debt and how much money he has to survive

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Denji is extremely smart in sone ways and mind bendingly stupid in others. It’s why he and Asa are such relatable protagonists

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CharlestonJew posted:

Denji is extremely smart in sone ways and mind bendingly stupid in others. It’s why he and Asa are such relatable protagonists

What's extra great is when they're both dumb about the same thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016697

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
im stuck on page 13, holy poo poo, holy poo poo lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Somehow Yoshida is dumber than Denji.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

PROTESTORS, KILL THIS GUY FOR ME lmao

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ImpAtom posted:

Somehow Yoshida is dumber than Denji.

Denji is too dumb to be defeated by someone too smart to realize how dumb they are.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What's important is that Nyako is safe!

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I think this kinda shows that Yoshida is also a socially clueless idiot, he's just gotten through with his image intact by being mysterious and composed for the most part. In that conversation with As he had in the club room, he probably wasn't trying to shut her down, he was probably just trying to give her a warning, but he has no tact and thinks people will do the logical thing if it's explained to them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also this chapter makes me wonder what happened to Kishibe? I thought Yoshida was working with a separate group both because he said he wasn't with Public Safety before, which is a lie, but also because if he was the actions of Public Safety don't fit with what Kishibe said to Denji at the end of part 1.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yoshida had the unique advantage of being able to observe how Denji works for an extended amount of time, as well as knowing what he did in the past. How the gently caress could he think that would work. Is he a moron? :doh:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yoshida and Denji's interaction is like that Reddit meme. Yoshida is the nerd yelling about how you can't do a thing and Denji is the old idiot just herp derpin his way through

I also refuse to believe if Nayuta believed she was in actual danger. that she would need any help escaping

last note it's adorbs that Nayuta and Denji act like real siblings. while they bicker and argue about day to day life they do support each other

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh my God Yoshida hosed up so badly.

Remember when Nayuta felt Asa was a threat and worked over Denji to drop her?

Now someone is threatening Nayuta's life in front of her? She can probably intuit that Denji is in a bad spot too.

Public Safety may have kick-started the Control Devil again with that little comment.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I see that Yoshida must have been sent to deal with Denji because he, too, is an idiot.

But not enough of an idiot to match up with King Idiot Denji and his power of TWO CHOICES :smug:

Beyond that, though, uh... what exactly are public safety or whoever intending to do when super powerful devils like Falling keep showing up without Chainsaw man. What are they expecting DENJI to do? Roll over and die? "Don't you want to be a normal person in this extremely abnormal world with your inherently abnormal situation that we aren't actually changing any part of???"

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Meowy is too powerful for this manga.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eimi posted:

Also this chapter makes me wonder what happened to Kishibe? I thought Yoshida was working with a separate group both because he said he wasn't with Public Safety before, which is a lie, but also because if he was the actions of Public Safety don't fit with what Kishibe said to Denji at the end of part 1.

I think it's either:

1. Yoshida is working for a separate organization but is just working with Public Safety for this one op.

2. Yoshida is working for Public Safety but this "keep Denji from being Chainsaw Man" is his own idea and not something Public Safety ordered him to do and has shaky support for.

3. Public Safety is just incompetent.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

4. Kishibe has finally just hosed off and retired to sip guzzle down gallons of margaritas on the beach

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

AnoHito posted:

4. Kishibe has finally just hosed off and retired to sip guzzle down gallons of margaritas on the beach

5. He's busy putting Quan Xi back together and/or helping her rebuild her harem.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

People asking "is Yoshida stupid" after reading this chapter should go back and reread chapter 57 because the brief bit of characterization we get from him there pretty much perfectly sets up what we're seeing here.

Yoshida has zero emotional intelligence. When it comes to combat and killing he's a genius, but when it comes to basic understanding of human feelings he has less competency than a kindergartner.

The first significant thing he does in the story is casually murder a guy off screen so brutally it leaves a behind a puddle of blood and then just casually walk over smiling to the person who witnessed the killing he committed commenting "I guess a pro wouldn't puke :downs:" and immediately wanders off without doing any follow up investigations. And here's the kicker: Yoshida is wrong. The guy who puked IS the assassin and Yoshida's detective work (and by detective work I mean a random guess based on nonsense logic) was totally off.

Yoshida is good at violence, but bad at everything else.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ethiser posted:

Meowy is too powerful for this manga.

Just casually riding one of the dogs, gently caress walking.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So what you're saying is he and Denji are really kindred spirits.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also yoshida saw this whole thing play out in a lower-stakes form exactly 30 chapters ago with the cake scene. he's been aware of who denji is and how he operates for like 80 chapters and still has zero understanding of him, it's beautifully stupid. also i think he just underestimates denji, who almost certainly understands that no one is going to want to kill nayuta because that would mean the control devil slipping out of their grasp again and no guarantee that the next incarnation on earth would be anywhere near as easy to work with

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 20, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't really talk about this chapter, my brain is overflowing with images of good "Superhero VS Imposter Superhero" battles throughout history and it's making me foam at the mouth wanting Chainsaw Man VS Fakesaw Man

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This whole situation is so mysterious. If they were serious about making Denji agree to this why would they let Nayuta go early. Was the plan to get him into some sort of devil contract? Why did Yoshida half-jokingly ask Denji to eat Death if he wants Denji to never turn into Chainsaw Man? Of all the situations he’s been in why is this the one that makes him lose his cool?

I’m glad Nayuta is being a good girl and not using swears tho

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I’m glad Nayuta is being a good girl and not using swears tho

Apparently the original version had her explicitly ask Denji to tell them to gently caress off and this was how it was translated in Spanish at least, so it's seemingly just a bizarre case of translation censorship in the English version.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

If they were serious about making Denji agree to this why would they let Nayuta go early.

Because it’s a very stupid plan and they’re idiots.

Yoshida - “Denji is a pushover that’s been constantly manipulated by everyone his entire life. It’s gonna be so easy to get him to do what I want, when I threaten him a little. I mean most of the people who manipulated Denji ended up dead, but I’m sure it’s gonna work out for me.”

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The average public safety plan is to get horribly murdered by any devil more powerful than the Goldfish Devil (and probably then too frankly) so not surprising that their sly machinations are inept as well

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

More proof of Yoshida's complete inability to comprehend basic human emotions: one of the perks he listed if Denji agreed to give up being Chainsaw Man was "I can even hang out with you as a friend :downs:" Yes Yoshida, because people LOVE to be friends with people who kidnapped them and threaten their families.

I've suspected this for a while, but this chapter more or less confirmed for me that Yoshida is being written in a very similar way to the titular character Shikaku which is one of my favorites of Fujimoto's oneshots (if you have the viz or shonen jump app it's chapter 4 on Before Chainsaw Man) Yoshida and Shikaku are both cheerfully psychotic killers, but there's no real malice behind their violent actions. They just lack the mental capacity to fully understand that what they're doing is wrong or comes off as creepy and insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yoshida claims to be working on behalf of public security, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.