Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Castle of Cagliostro is one of the best animated films of all time for my money - and major names at Disney and Pixar agreed. If you want a great lesser-known one I recommend The Mystery of Mamo. It's not a perfect film but the ending sequence is breathtaking and an all-timer series moment.

And if you like those and want a great series to sink your teeth into, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine has a gorgeous art style and a killer dark tone and I adore the ending. Sayo Yamamoto crushed it as director.

Absolutely! I love all the Lupin from 1971 to present, can't go wrong. (Haven't watched TV part 5 or 6 yet)

For movies I enjoy Farewell to Nostradamus too, and all the cool TV anime movies from over the years. Island of Assassins, Angel Tactics, Swallowtail Tattoo, Tokyo Crisis, lotta fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Wild Zero rocks, it’s so beloved that I’d have to think some boutique is looking to do a UHD release. I don’t follow rights drama but I’d love to know whats holding it back.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finally got a chance to check and yeah the system is updated. Kind of wish it wasn't so I could have a reason for it to stop freezing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Terror Vision dude made some tweets I liked, so I’m gonna try and pick up Copperhead in the next couple weeks because of the goon whose family made it and posted about it.

Edit: It Follows 4K coming!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671520368786382855?s=20

In Australia in Special Edition. But hopefully that’ll change!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 21, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

It Follows 4K coming!

This and Sleepy Hollow announced in the same day! They were both in my top 5 UHD wants

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Perfect timing with the conversations from earlier - check out what came in the mail today.

The Perfect Blue steelbook may be one of the coolest designs I've ever seen especially because it has a picture of Mima's idol group on the back and the discs have the classic poster design on them, and I'm glad I was able to find the Tucker & Dale steelbook for cheap because it's gorgeous. Pics do not do these justice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol I picked up those three steel books too, real solid deal for what you get.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Edit: It Follows 4K coming!

I did this when I purchased a used copy of the blu-ray off eBay a couple weeks ago.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

I did this when I purchased a used copy of the blu-ray off eBay a couple weeks ago.

Thank you for you'are sacrifice :patriot:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am braver than the troops tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It has just been decreed that The Legend of the Stardust Brothers will be next month's movie of the month. And there are still copies available from SRS Cinema.

Do with that what you will.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The only "Legend of" I want to see on blu is Legend of Galactic Heroes (with English subs) .

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

What are movies you'd like to see get Criterion releases? I have a few dream releases, some more likely than others.

1. Time of the Gypsies
2. anything by Ming-liang Tsai
3. The Vertical Ray of the Sun
4. Innocence (Hadzihalilovic)
5. Cairo Station
6. Werckmeister Harmonies (supposedly coming soon)
7. Red Beard (4K upgrade)
8. Songs from the Second Floor/You, The Living/A Pigeon Sat on a Branch...
9. Syndromes and a Century
10. Devils on the Doorstep
11. A Moment of Innocence
12. Linda Linda Linda
13. Waiting for Happiness
14. The Burglar
15. Cocorico Monsieur Poulet
16. Ray's Calcutta trilogy
17. Our Little Sister
18. Rafiki
19. Offside
20. As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GrandpaPants posted:

The only "Legend of" I want to see on blu is Legend of Galactic Heroes (with English subs) .

It's called movie of the month but that's not referring to its runtime.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I’ll take the Godzilla Heisei era collection please

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm a philistine, so the only Criterion upgrade I'd care about is Monty Python's Life of Brian.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

What are movies you'd like to see get Criterion releases? I have a few dream releases, some more likely than others.

I know there's absolutely no way, especially since it's a Fox film, but I've been saying this for years: Freddy Got Fingered.

For much less of a total longshot my answer would be King of Comedy. Seeing as Criterion has already released a few Scorsese films and After Hours is on the way soon this one is actually within the realm of possibility. Cronenberg's version of the Fly would also be great. The Blues Brothers is another. Performance. The Wall. Blacula.

Ultra Mega Fantasy answer: The Abyss.

Liar Lyre posted:

Disney also announced a deal with Mill Creek to release stuff, but that hasn’t produced anything yet. I think something is happening over at the House of Mouse, but they aren’t talking about it right now.

That's some monkey's paw poo poo right there.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I've been wanting Bread and Chocolate for ages. I adore that movie. That and any other Nino Manfredi stuff would be incredible. Maybe with the newfound attention on Cafe Express due to Tarantino's podcast, this could happen one day.

Also would love to see Two Women get the Criterion treatment. That to me is some of Loren and De Sica's best work.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

The Wall.

loving any Region A The Wall. Please.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

loving any Region A The Wall. Please.

Is that Euro blu-ray that's floating around actually a legit release? I figured it was a bootleg.

I AM BOUND BY NO REGION!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like I waited too long to order Ronin 4k and it's out of stock for the moment on Amazon. Not gonna make the same mistake with The Live and Die in L.A. so I put in a preorder.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 22, 2023

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

what, you don’t have $800+ for the absurdly huge triangular boxset

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

CPL593H posted:

I know there's absolutely no way, especially since it's a Fox film, but I've been saying this for years: Freddy Got Fingered.

For much less of a total longshot my answer would be King of Comedy. Seeing as Criterion has already released a few Scorsese films and After Hours is on the way soon this one is actually within the realm of possibility. Cronenberg's version of the Fly would also be great. The Blues Brothers is another. Performance. The Wall. Blacula.

The Fly would be incredible! Right now I have my eye on a Japanese BD that is region 1 and still includes the full English version unsubbed. The Wall is one of those I'm surprised hasn't been done yet. Blacula is a great cut, too.

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin
Scream Factory put out a boxed set with all 5 The Fly movies a few years back

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Brexit the Frog posted:

what, you don’t have $800+ for the absurdly huge triangular boxset

I'm still so mad that sold out the week I was going to grab it.

IT HAD BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS AND MY HUBRIS GOT THE BEST OF ME

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

FitFortDanga posted:

8. Songs from the Second Floor/You, The Living/A Pigeon Sat on a Branch...

would settle for a bluray

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man I have no real complaints about the delivery services in my area, except for the rare case of DHL handing off to USPS. I get two tracking numbers and both are super delayed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Off the top of my head my Criterion wishlist would be(assuming all of these would be UHDs):

Popeye(any 4k Altman would be worth the upgrade though)
Fitzcarraldo
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood/The Master
The Searchers
Doctor Zhivago
Manhunter
The Fountain

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like I waited too long to order Ronin 4k and it's out of stock for the moment on Amazon. Not gonna make the same mistake with The Live and Die in L.A. so I put in a preorder.

I put in a preorder for Ronin back when it first went up on Amazon (same with To Live and Die in LA) and my copy was still delayed. Amazon don't give a shoot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status/1671895755874004995?s=20
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671917163609726982?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

I put in a preorder for Ronin back when it first went up on Amazon (same with To Live and Die in LA) and my copy was still delayed. Amazon don't give a shoot.

Oh well, can't win them all. It's my fault for still bowing at the altar of Bezos

gently caress yea! This I Still Know What You Did Last Summer digital code will be a highly sought after prize for the October Challenge this year.

For real though this is a day 1 buy for me, I saw it in the theater opening weekend.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Oh well, can't win them all. It's my fault for still bowing at the altar of Bezos

It's hard to beat that fluctuating price range. It's how i snagged that John Wick 4 exclusive for $24 instead of its real price.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Hey guys, I have my copy but Vinegar Syndrome just found 80 Shatter Dead with slipcovers and popped them up on the site! It’s a great release if you’re interested.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shatter dead is a top tier SoV flick highly recommend

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Off the top of my head my Criterion wishlist would be(assuming all of these would be UHDs):

Popeye(any 4k Altman would be worth the upgrade though)
Fitzcarraldo
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood/The Master
The Searchers
Doctor Zhivago
Manhunter
The Fountain

The Ice Storm. The most visually underrated period piece of the 90s.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The better I Know What You Did movie IMO. I like my slashers when they go full Scooby Doo and this one is the Scooby Doo-iest.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ultraviolence123 posted:

The better I Know What You Did movie IMO. I like my slashers when they go full Scooby Doo and this one is the Scooby Doo-iest.
I like how the bodies got magically transported from Carolina to the Bahamas with no explanation and how his son went to college with them for like a year with the sole purpose of getting invited on a trip none of them knew about instead of their long time friend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultraviolence123 posted:

One thing that makes it very rewatchable is they added some nice veteran presence with Jeffrey Combs and Bill Cobbs, plus you have an early Jack Black appearance. I also think Brandy is much better than Sarah Michelle Geller. I always thought it was a bummer that they never did a third movie where they could've brought Brandy back and maybe even passed the torch to her for an ongoing series.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I always thought it was a bummer that they never did a third movie
There actually was a third one but it was made for TV or direct video release or something. It didn’t have any of the original or sequel cast so nobody watched or remembers it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

There actually was a third one but it was made for TV or direct video release or something. It didn’t have any of the original or sequel cast so nobody watched or remembers it.

Oh I remember it, I just disavow it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has VS still not said what that mystery item from a couple months ago was?