Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Smugworth)
Do u eat eggs
gently caress off Derpies
What an eggcellent thread
Goku fusion dancing with an egg
CHICKEN CAME FIRST
View Results

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This is the only good thread in GBS

bird with big dick posted:

I need to eat some egg too many egg in fridge

I'll take some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
My breakfast for over 10 years now has been three eggs on toast/bagels. Through many years of experimentation I learned the best way is to break one yolk and leave the other two over easy. Now you get that runny goodness but also have yolk mixed into all the whites.

For toppings I do a little mayo (gently caress you it is just more eggs), green onions and a Cajun spice blend. I plan on eating for another 10 years easily. Egg is the best single ingredient.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Egg scramble and mushroom and avoscrado toast and General's hot sauce

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Eggs were a dollar a dozen at Safeway hahaha gently caress yeah winner winner

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I just learned how to poach eggs in the last few days. Total gamechanger for egg preparation and consumption. I dont want to take away from the fried egg, but a poached egg is easier to make and less cleanup plus I heard some dumb poo poo about its healthier for you? :ssh:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vampire Panties posted:

I just learned how to poach eggs in the last few days. Total gamechanger for egg preparation and consumption. I dont want to take away from the fried egg, but a poached egg is easier to make and less cleanup plus I heard some dumb poo poo about its healthier for you? :ssh:

Poached egg is correct egg.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

this is insane. I can fry an egg and clean it up before the water boils, without losing half the white

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can someone please tell the stupidest fucker on the planet how to poach an egg? Coz I just can't do it and I've tried a few different options.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Smugworth posted:

What problems are you having

I use a wide shallow pan
Smidge of champagne/white wine vinegar
Just boiling

Swirl the water counter clockwise with a slotted spoon
Drop the eggs in
Once white and set, give em a moment to cook through
Pull one out with the slotted spoon and poke it to make sure you haven't fully cooked it through, then gently set them in a shallow bowl lined with paper towel
Whisper sweet nothings to your beautiful little poached eggs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

preheat nonstick pan on medium high
add pat of butter
crack egg(s) into butter without waiting for it all to melt
when inner white starts to firm up, flip it with a flick of the wrist
salt and pepper and slide off onto plate

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

poverty goat posted:

add pat of butter
crack egg into butter without waiting for it all to melt
when inner white starts to firm up, flip it with a flick of the wrist
salt and pepper and slide off onto plate

You forgot the part where you eat it in front of your dogs cackling like Mr burns while they starve and drool

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

You forgot the part where you eat it in front of your dogs cackling like Mr burns while they starve and drool

did you ever concede?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Reported for animal cruelty

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

While normally I'm all about the fried egg, I got a little :stare: & :tinfoil: about the chemicals in non-stick stuff. There are probably safe non-stick pans out there, but poaching is significantly easier (and IMO safer :shrug:) than frying in a non-stick. I will concede that you lose a lot of the egg white in the poaching process. I could do the little ramekin thing but thats more mess

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yeah I mean I'm not preheating until it smokes, but enough that you need to hurry along before the butter burns, which happens upward 350. Nonstick maxes out at 450 or 500. If I want a really lacey crispy fried egg that's slightly more complicated and I have a little smooth bottomed cast iron pan for that, I use a lot more butter and spoon it up onto the egg while it cooks. But that's not an everyday fried egg

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

While normally I'm all about the fried egg, I got a little :stare: & :tinfoil: about the chemicals in non-stick stuff. There are probably safe non-stick pans out there, but poaching is significantly easier (and IMO safer :shrug:) than frying in a non-stick. I will concede that you lose a lot of the egg white in the poaching process. I could do the little ramekin thing but thats more mess

i use carbon steel pans for my eggs. they are fantastic if you can keep a pan seasoned or are willing to learn how. eggs slide right off of them once you figure it out.

here’s the exact model. i have two of each size. rarely do they need more than a quick dry wipe and they’re spotless and good for storage/maintaining the cure

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had egg fried rice tonight. It was pretty drat good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I did some reading last night and apparently the 450-500 degree upper limit for pans is due to a Teflon byproduct that has been illegal since 2013. The nonstick itself doesn't break down until 570f, which should make a modern nonstick pan safe almost all the way up to high high on most stovetops in common usage. But there's no reason not to use cast iron or carbon steel or something up there if you've got it. I have some lightweight cast iron pans with a smooth finish that I absolutely love; they're my main pans for most cooking. My one little nonstick pan is just for easy fried eggs pretty much

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

i use carbon steel pans for my eggs. they are fantastic if you can keep a pan seasoned or are willing to learn how. eggs slide right off of them once you figure it out.

here’s the exact model. i have two of each size. rarely do they need more than a quick dry wipe and they’re spotless and good for storage/maintaining the cure

:monocle: I've never heard of carbon steel pans before. They're just lightweight versions of cast iron pans? I have a big chonky mofo but I rarely use it. Thanks for the link!

poverty goat posted:

I did some reading last night and apparently the 450-500 degree upper limit for pans is due to a Teflon byproduct that has been illegal since 2013. The nonstick itself doesn't break down until 570f, which should make a modern nonstick pan safe almost all the way up to high high on most stovetops in common usage. But there's no reason not to use cast iron or carbon steel or something up there if you've got it. I have some lightweight cast iron pans with a smooth finish that I absolutely love; they're my main pans for most cooking. My one little nonstick pan is just for easy fried eggs pretty much

:shrug: not to be entirely :tinfoil: but I just dont trust non-stick. I also dont know anything about cooking, like at all, so I didnt know there were smooth cast iron or carbon steel pans as well. I dont mind a little extra elbow grease cleaning up. I ordered the smaller carbon steel pan listed above, soon it will be EggTime ShowDown

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

:monocle: I've never heard of carbon steel pans before. They're just lightweight versions of cast iron pans? I have a big chonky mofo but I rarely use it. Thanks for the link!

Similar in that you can form a seasoning on the raw metal, but carbon steel pans heat up extremely quickly because they're thin, compared to the cast iron skillet which takes time to heat up since there's so much more metal soaking up the fire.

We used to use them for searing filets and scallops and whatnot at the restaurant I used to work at.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

31 pages of egg posting. any thoughts on a similar momentum for corn and corn related posts?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Similar in that you can form a seasoning on the raw metal, but carbon steel pans heat up extremely quickly because they're thin, compared to the cast iron skillet which takes time to heat up since there's so much more metal soaking up the fire.

We used to use them for searing filets and scallops and whatnot at the restaurant I used to work at.

Afaik they are unicorns, I found them at tj Maxx and idk where you'd find them now, but the brandani cast iron I'm talking about is light enough to do the saute flip one handed with a whole pan of pasta in the biggest one, they are polished smooth and are rounded like typical saute pans, not at all like a typical lodge cast iron or whatever

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dick Fontaine posted:

this is the way to go

I got a carbon steel pan as a gift and it was a life changer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i was looking back through the thread for something and found some pretty hosed up duplicity from alleged dog egg rights supporter Smugworth

Smugworth posted:

drat dog ate half my hard boiled egg off the counter today

I take it back, don't feed that dog the egg! !!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's always projection

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

31 pages of egg posting. any thoughts on a similar momentum for corn and corn related posts?

I have lots of corn and corn related posting to do. Make it so.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My omelettes all end up hosed up lately because I'm impatient and let the pan get above Medium Heat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just wanted to say I am a big fan of eggs in all forms. Deviled Eggs a particular delight. But my goto is the omelette. Just hits different from most egg permutations.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
just had some egg, was good, would recommend

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

poverty goat posted:

i was looking back through the thread for something and found some pretty hosed up duplicity from alleged dog egg rights supporter Smugworth

I was having a bad day I'm sorry please don't perma me

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kinda tired of replacing nonstick skillets so I copped some frenchie carbon steel pan today but it's a lot heavier than the ones I used to use in the restaurant that were super thin, not sure what to think

Tempted to send it back to Bezos but I guess I could try and season this thing on the grill if I don't, my wife will kill me if I smoke out the house seasoning it in the oven broiler

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I replaced all my old nonstick pans with new All-Clad nonsticks that are supposedly safe (no PFAS). Supposedly ovensafe up to 550 freedom degrees but I only use em for stovetop.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

No nonstick skillet can last forever though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

True but I like having a non-stick option available. My everyday pots and pans are All-Clad D3 stainless which are nigh indestructible.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

they are good as specialized pans you use for the handful of things they're really nice for, like frying an egg, but there's no reason to stock your kitchen with a full set of them to use for everything unless you just want to wear them out

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
A woman is born with all the eggs she’ll ever have and she can crap one out on command when she wants to make a baby :wth:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Last Sunday night my wife’s (our) beloved 12-year-old black lab Henry started retching and crying uncontrollably so we had to take him to the emergency room around midnight and weren’t sure he was coming home. He was diagnosed with pneumonia in one of his lungs and given an IV and a schedule of antibiotics. Six hours and $1000 later we returned.

I share this here because the next day he was too weak and exhausted to have much of an appetite, and thus no way to give him his antibiotics. The only way we were able to get him eating was when I scrambled up some plain eggs, which he devoured happily. We have been adding egg to almost every meal since, and he is doing remarkably better.

Eggs good. Thank you eggs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That good boy deserves all the eggs :love:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hazo posted:

Last Sunday night my wife’s (our) beloved 12-year-old black lab Henry started retching and crying uncontrollably so we had to take him to the emergency room around midnight and weren’t sure he was coming home. He was diagnosed with pneumonia in one of his lungs and given an IV and a schedule of antibiotics. Six hours and $1000 later we returned.

I share this here because the next day he was too weak and exhausted to have much of an appetite, and thus no way to give him his antibiotics. The only way we were able to get him eating was when I scrambled up some plain eggs, which he devoured happily. We have been adding egg to almost every meal since, and he is doing remarkably better.

Thank dog someone around here will let their dog eat the drat eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hazo posted:

Henry eat the eggs (and get better!)