Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tarezax posted:

Ultimate Spiderman was the only good part of the Ultimates universe, and one of its lasting legacies is giving us Miles Morales

A nugget of gold in a mile-high pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
A right-wing US response, about as expected:
https://twitter.com/reportbywilson/status/1672469188395384833

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I note that he doesn't say "this is bad for Ukraine" at the end there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VorpalBunny posted:

Any right wing media up right now reporting about the possible military coup in Russia? I was clicking through the cable news stations and only CNN was reporting about it, Fox News was reporting some anti-trans trash.

Nothing I've seen

Honestly, I keep waiting for one of these assholes to say something about how the CEO for OceanGate was a Soros funded liberal who voted fro Obama twice or some poo poo. You know, instead of a perfect example of unregulated profit driven hubris.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

There's 1044 pages. Which page is Kitty Pride on?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
he's woke because he fired white engineers (that wanted higher salaries and also said "lol this is a dumb deadly sub designed) and hired foreign engineers (that were cheaper)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
idk about media, but hot drat it's fun* to hear right-wing coworkers divided on if it's good to replace right authoritarian with loud-and-proud nazi murderer, or upset because dear Zheka Prigozhin is a jeeeeeeeeewwwwww

on his dad's side, we become jewish through the mom btw, just sayin cuz that's the sort of thing fascists ostensibly care about

*and by fun I mean "fun"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Nothing I've seen

Honestly, I keep waiting for one of these assholes to say something about how the CEO for OceanGate was a Soros funded liberal who voted fro Obama twice or some poo poo. You know, instead of a perfect example of unregulated profit driven hubris.

Somehow dumber than what you hypothesized

https://twitter.com/JoeyMannarinoUS/status/1672476031674904576

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wow. He literally just says “and he’s a jew.” No whistle. No couching it in bullshit. Just “and he’s a jew!”

I mean I know, I know. But still.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

NSA Analyst reading SA plz forward to Joe Biden:

If you decarbonize the electric grid, get a manned mission to Mars and eliminate the billionaire class I promise to never mention Hunter Biden ever again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

Wow. He literally just says “and he’s a jew.” No whistle. No couching it in bullshit. Just “and he’s a jew!”

I mean I know, I know. But still.
Fuentes is a Nazi so it’s kind of his thing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's 1044 pages. Which page is Kitty Pride on?

Here are the three non-consecutive occasions where Kitty Pryde uses the n-word:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly, she uses one in that New Mutants panel that I’ve never heard before.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kitty Pryde going to Israel arc

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Killer robot posted:

That's the lifelong problem with X-Men

The point is you shouldn't persecute people for their inherent characteristics, whether those be skin color, same-sex attraction, or the ability to fire concussive force blasts from their eyes.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was going to say, I wonder if all the "the Russian military are REAL fighters, unlike our woke army" are going to be changing to extolling Wagner PMC

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

dropping a long string of slurs in a eulogy is a hell of a choice

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

She lectures Magneto about the holocaust at one point too, but to be fair he is kind of a hypocrite about that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I AM GRANDO posted:

She lectures Magneto about the holocaust at one point too, but to be fair he is kind of a hypocrite about that.

I thought Magneto brought her to a Holocaust Survivors meeting were people try and find out the fates of relatives. Kitty's Jewish as well and was checking on the status of an uncle if I remember.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought Magneto brought her to a Holocaust Survivors meeting were people try and find out the fates of relatives. Kitty's Jewish as well and was checking on the status of an uncle if I remember.

I thought she brought him. It’s been a long time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
learning new slurs, the other s word that for asian people apparently?

also seeing the W one outside that one perry bible comic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I AM GRANDO posted:

The second "Kitty uses n word thing" also needs some context since it's taken out of context: Mutants are regularly straight up getting put in death camps or being sterilized of what's making them mutants while this black guy is being offended by someone tossing his bigotry and slur right back at him since he's throwing a tantrum and (from what I recall the last time this got posted somewhere out of context) had just beaten a physically handicapped mutant for daring to exist peacefully. She's essentially pointing out how much of a bigoted idiot he is since he'll be just as much of a victim once all the mutants are gone and the conservatives need a new victim to demonize and murder.

Sadly the type of person who is so self absorbed they can't see the comparison there is pretty common in real life, and the reaction is on point at having their hypocrisy thrown in their face.

The last one is straight up X-Men tier celebrity drama though. I wish we'd get a panel during one of those situations where the perspective zooms out and everyone is cringing in awkwardness or just rolling their eyes at her making it about herself in the most offensive way possible.

Also, the eulogy apparently took place at a school assembly (The mutant kid was bullied into committing suicide.) too. The X-men is anything but subtle about it's views about bigotry and it's unacceptability. :stare:

HootTheOwl posted:

Bad news, you're a bit late for that one. That's basically Krakoa which the writers have said is an Israel stand in. She's a sitting member on the creepy oligarchic and increasingly supremacist council as of modern days. They straight up have their own group of religious supremacists too that think that Jesus was a mutant and that mutants are inherently superior. :amen:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 25, 2023

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

PhazonLink posted:

learning new slurs, the other s word that for asian people apparently?

also seeing the W one outside that one perry bible comic.

You obviously need to watch more 70s movies. :colbert:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Archonex posted:

Bad news, you're a bit late for that one. That's basically Krakoa which the writers have said is an Israel stand in. She's a sitting member on the creepy oligarchic and increasingly supremacist council as of modern days. They straight up have their own group of religious supremacists too that think that Jesus was a mutant and that mutants are inherently superior. :amen:

I only read the start of that whole arc, but last I checked in kitty was sailing around a pirate ship and it was awesome

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ambitious Spider posted:

I only read the start of that whole arc, but last I checked in kitty was sailing around a pirate ship and it was awesome

Apparently she's on it too now according to the website. Though in typical Marvel fashion anyone but the loudest bastardy idiots don't get center stage until it's necessary.

https://www.marvel.com/teams-and-groups/quiet-council-of-krakoa

Given that they have a functional teleportation system that she mysteriously can't use it sounds like they just shoved her off onto a pirate ship to keep her mouth shut and out of hard hitting political questions like "Do we genocide all robots regardless of peaceful intent now or later?" or "Which non-conformers do we throw in the at times literally hellish psychic torture pit today?".

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 24, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Archonex posted:

The second "Kitty uses n word thing" also needs some context since it's taken out of context: Mutants are regularly straight up getting put in death camps or being sterilized of what's making them mutants while this black guy is being offended by someone tossing his bigotry and slur right back at him since he's throwing a tantrum and (from what I recall the last time this got posted somewhere out of context) had just beaten a physically handicapped mutant for daring to exist peacefully. She's essentially pointing out how much of a bigoted idiot he is since he'll be just as much of a victim once all the mutants are gone and the conservatives need a new victim to demonize and murder.

Sadly the type of person who is so self absorbed they can't see the comparison there is pretty common in real life, and the reaction is on point at having their hypocrisy thrown in their face.

If I recall, that dude and his friends attempt to murder Kitty after this. Also when they beat Xavier to near death earlier they did not do it cause he was a mutant (as they did not know he was one until he tried to defend himself) they did it cause he was preaching tolerance towards Mutants at the university he was teaching at.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I recall, that dude and his friends attempt to murder Kitty after this. Also when they beat Xavier to near death earlier they did not do it cause he was a mutant (as they did not know he was one until he tried to defend himself) they did it cause he was preaching tolerance towards Mutants at the university he was teaching at.

Yeah, not the best use case for saying the mutant Kitty is a racist in any case. Heck, the fact that they only beat the handicapped guy half to death for preaching tolerance and acceptance before trying to murder a confirmed mutant (after using an in setting slur that has connotations of exterminationism and genocide no less) makes Kitty look like the good guy calling that character out on their murderous bigoted bullshit by pointing out the self defeating hypocrisy of what he's doing.

Also, if I recall from the description of the comic they double back and try to finish off Xavier by just straight up attempting to murder him.

Still one hell of a whip lash to see the about face from "how would you feel if someone used this horrible word against you with the intent to do harm, also please stop trying to murder me and those like me" to "Okay, time to on board with the ruling class of this ethno-state with designs towards supremacy over and literal replacement of baseline humans" decades later though. Comics are certainly a land of extreme spectrums.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 25, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

Yeah, not the best use case for saying the mutant Kitty is a racist in any case. Heck, the fact that they only beat the handicapped guy half to death for preaching tolerance and acceptance before trying to murder a confirmed mutant (after using an in setting slur that has connotations of exterminationism and genocide no less) makes Kitty look like the good guy calling that character out on their murderous bigoted bullshit in terms he ought to be able to empathize with in that case.

Still one hell of a whip lash to see the about face from "how would you feel if someone used this horrible word against you with the intent to do harm" to "Okay, time to on board with the ruling class of this ethno-state with designs towards supremacy over and literal replacement of baseline humans" decades later though. Comics are certainly a land of extreme spectrums.

It’s not that the character is racist, but that the writer of all three comics, Chris Claremont, is very ham-fisted and tone-deaf in pushing the allegory in weird directions. It’s like he runs the allegory in reverse by bringing in the n-word into it, like the lesson he’s teaching is that mutants are a real minority with a situation that needs to be understood by comparison with other, better-known kinds of bigotry. Like, I don’t need to be taught to respect mutants, buddy. I need mutants to be a teaching tool that teaches me why I should respect real people. It’s silly.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s not that the character is racist, but that the writer of all three comics, Chris Claremont, is very ham-fisted and tone-deaf in pushing the allegory in weird directions. It’s like he runs the allegory in reverse by bringing in the n-word into it, like the lesson he’s teaching is that mutants are a real minority with a situation that needs to be understood by comparison with other, better-known kinds of bigotry. Like, I don’t need to be taught to respect mutants, buddy. I need mutants to be a teaching tool that teaches me why I should respect real people. It’s silly.

Oh yeah, i'm not arguing that point. Claremont has always had multiple issues, what with the occasional creepy comic stuff and ham fisted metaphors.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

Oh yeah, i'm not arguing that point. Claremont has always had multiple issues, what with the occasional creepy comic stuff and ham fisted metaphors.

Honestly Kitty Pryde’s comment about being “flat-chested” makes me a little uncomfortable in light of his many paraphilias that he couldn’t keep out of his comics.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Honestly Kitty Pryde’s comment about being “flat-chested” makes me a little uncomfortable in light of his many paraphilias that he couldn’t keep out of his comics.

I never noticed that until now but thinking about how massively creepy a lot of the guy's other works were when he let his fetishes slip in makes me realize that's a good point. Claremont is like the real life version of this joke:

To the point that there has been at least one blog trying to keep track of and mock all the horny-creepy stuff he snuck (or just loud speakered) into various comics by pointing it out in a MST3K/SA front page sort of way and they just openly gave up because there's so much uncomfortable stuff there that after a certain point it isn't even funny anymore to point out how much of a raging fetishist the guy is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 25, 2023

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

I bet these people think paper cuts and stubbed toes are “distractions” to keep us from talking about Hunter’s cock

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Archonex posted:

Still one hell of a whip lash to see the about face from "how would you feel if someone used this horrible word against you with the intent to do harm, also please stop trying to murder me and those like me" to "Okay, time to on board with the ruling class of this ethno-state with designs towards supremacy over and literal replacement of baseline humans" decades later though. Comics are certainly a land of extreme spectrums.

Krakoa has tons of flaws, but for the most part it's not trying to be horrible or teach supremacy. Heck they are perfectly willing to grant baseline humans citizenship if they family of a mutant. Kitty herself as a member has always tended to vote for more moral actions. The issue has partially come that offering amnesty and a second chance for all mutants was a bad idea coming from the right place.

Given that Vampiric Mutant Sorceress Selene was recently voted into it's ruling council due to various corruptions and manipulations. (Who as she was voted in talked about how bathing in blood does nothing for your health, but does feel great.)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mr. Sinister was a founding member or whatever of Krakoa and they're using his tech as part of the system that makes mutants immortal as long as they're in the same dimension. Absolutely nothing about this has gone wrong, of course. There definitely wasn't a whole set of comics about how hilariously wrong this can go, or lasting impacts from said nonexistent comics.

Basically that one page from Injustice with Plastic Man pointing at Sinestro

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 25, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Krakoa has tons of flaws, but for the most part it's not trying to be horrible or teach supremacy. Heck they are perfectly willing to grant baseline humans citizenship if they family of a mutant. Kitty herself as a member has always tended to vote for more moral actions. The issue has partially come that offering amnesty and a second chance for all mutants was a bad idea coming from the right place.

Given that Vampiric Mutant Sorceress Selene was recently voted into it's ruling council due to various corruptions and manipulations. (Who as she was voted in talked about how bathing in blood does nothing for your health, but does feel great.)

This is probably a derail somewhat but Selene didn't get voted in, she got straight up murked after throwing a tantrum over not getting her way. Which is remarkably similar to what's happened to mostly everyone else that caused problems for the ruling class. Many of which ended up being got sidelined and then neutralized as a threat to their power.

The big problem morally speaking with Krakoa is that it's run by a shadowy oligarchic cabal that has no real checks on it's power outside of other unelected people while also acting as judge, jury, and executioner. There were multiple comics going into this and how the place may be nice if you conform to the ruling classes standards, but if you speak out about the issues (Like it's anti abortion/anti non procreative sex thing.) you get tossed into the psychic torture pit forever. This is something even the nominal good guys like Xavier have taken part in. It says something that the situation of justice in Krakoa only improves once the oligarchs lose their control over several systems of government due to the people handling the penal system or cloning system getting fed up with them and deciding to do things their own way.

Also, there's the whole discarded thing of them originally building an army through some fascist principles (Literally having a murder arena to condition the populace to be okay with murderous violence and pre-selecting citizens that are literally willing to kill and die for the cause is a yikes when it's run by the Apocalypse, a mutant whose ideology could and has conducted genocides that turned Earth into a hellish apocalypse.). Though as Hickman left the plot has cycled that stuff out compared to his original plan to show the rise and downfall of Krakoa due to it's own insane doctrine.

There's also the slightly problematic issue of parts of the story reading like a laundry list of conspiracy theories conservatives use to justify genocide of innocent minorities. Magneto straight up says that humanity has new gods to worship and that they plan to secretly run all the businesses from behind the scenes while Krakoa has a law that you have to make more mutants to outbreed the humans so they lose power. Which is literally borderline close to being one of the plots behind the whole white genocide thing that alt right nazis love to claim is going to happen any day now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 25, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Archonex posted:

There were multiple comics going into this and how the place may be nice if you conform to the ruling classes standards, but if you speak out about the issues (Like it's anti abortion/anti non procreative sex thing.) you get tossed into the psychic torture pit forever.
Also it wasn't really a psychic torture pit except they threw Sabretooth (the reason it was created) in it and he took control.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FFT posted:

Also it wasn't really a psychic torture pit except they threw Sabretooth (the reason it was created) in it and he took control.

I mean, let's be real, being in a state of total isolation from the world is torture even if it is a "stasis chamber" or whatever. Ditto for the fact that unless you're part of the special super power havers or someone important the Quiet Council wants to exploit you get held there forever without hope of freedom. Which means it's indefinite imprisonment in a state where you can't even die. We'd think that forcibly putting someone into a permanent state of coma as punishment or to make political dissidents go away was monstrous as hell if it happened in real life.

Having it in a parasitic energy vampire landmass that feeds off the island's occupants just adds extra layers of implicit comic book tier of unsubtle exploitation and discomfort to it all.

Sabretooth just made the evil of it all more overt and obvious.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 25, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

duck.exe posted:

I bet these people think paper cuts and stubbed toes are “distractions” to keep us from talking about Hunter’s cock

Jewish Space Lasers

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archonex posted:

This is probably a derail somewhat but Selene didn't get voted in, she got straight up murked after throwing a tantrum over not getting her way. Which is remarkably similar to what's happened to mostly everyone else that caused problems for the ruling class. Many of which ended up being got sidelined and then neutralized as a threat to their power.
Good(?) news for this continued derail, after a series of scandals, an elderly member of the council dying unexpectedly, and various people being impeached or stripped of their voting rights, the immortal blood bather was renominated and won the seat this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I love Something Awful, it's the best loving community, our Right Wing politics thread took a huge derail into X-Men talk and I admit to loving every second of it. I did not know about this whole Krakoa thing and it does seem to match up passably well with what I believe fascist elements in our country seem to want. A ruling class forcing people to step into line with their beliefs, hideous poo poo that should not happen but step by step radical elements force it into place.