Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’re probably thinking of Ambrose.

The superior US citizen soldier/Marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Honestly chugging an obscene amount of booze from an artillery piece barrel is probably a tradition multiple militaries have, formally and casually.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There's a story. I think from the North Africa campaign, of an officer directing all available firepower onto a German position before trying his attack, saying, "I'm going to let the US taxpayer take that hill." I think it captures the true strength of the US army of the time.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why did the USS Maine sink?

Hardmode: everyone who doesn't blame Spain is an anarchist.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some sort of coal dust fire in the bunker wasn't it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Honestly chugging an obscene amount of booze from an artillery piece barrel is probably a tradition multiple militaries have, formally and casually.

Yeah I’m vaguely recalling either the Canadian or British military specifically putting out a warning about it because people were getting some bad crap leeched out of the barrels by the booze on its way through.

Also a vague memory of some people getting poisoned that way in like the napoleonic or ACW time because some captured wine was really acidic or something and that stripped some bad poo poo out . . .?

Half remembered poo poo knocking around the back of my brain so take it with enough salt to preserve a hog.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Does anyone come out of the Fall of France looking good? Seems like everyone involved is a dipshit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

samcarsten posted:

Does anyone come out of the Fall of France looking good? Seems like everyone involved is a dipshit.

Sadly for us, Rommel.

But only just.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

On the other hand, drinking alcohol out of a barrel meant to fire death allows you to experience truly novel things like the first case of tungsten poisoning known. dude drank wine out of the barrel for a FAMAS and it was a very bad no fun time

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A Festivus Miracle posted:

On the other hand, drinking alcohol out of a barrel meant to fire death allows you to experience truly novel things like the first case of tungsten poisoning known. dude drank wine out of the barrel for a FAMAS and it was a very bad no fun time

That might be the wine thing I was vaguely remembering.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is there a way around the paywall there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quackles posted:

sure just drink some wine out of an artillery barrel and you too can be published in a medical journal

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Quackles posted:

Yes its on sci hub

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There's a story. I think from the North Africa campaign, of an officer directing all available firepower onto a German position before trying his attack, saying, "I'm going to let the US taxpayer take that hill." I think it captures the true strength of the US army of the time.

I feel like that encapsulates the US military philosophy for the entire modern era pretty well.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Ayo this poo poo is lit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron Porkface posted:

Hardmode: everyone who doesn't blame Spain is an anarchist.

Most likely spontaneous detonation of powder in her magazine caused by decomposition products and tropical heat.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Correction: dude drank wine out of the barrel of an artillery piece and not a FAMAS like I thought.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Baron Porkface posted:

She blew up.

That's really all we know for sure, and all we'll ever be 100% certain of. Most of the standard theories agree that it was some form of accident, but exactly what happened is unknowable.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Saukkis posted:

Is there a blog-copy of those somewhere? Both of those posts deserve to be un-paywalled.

No, I have no interest in writing a blog.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cessna posted:

No, I have no interest in writing a blog.

We don't need a daily update of what's in your fridge, but archiving that stuff somewhere else would be valuable. I'm not saying that's your problem though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We don't need a daily update of what's in your fridge, but archiving that stuff somewhere else would be valuable. I'm not saying that's your problem though.

you should make a blog where you copy all his posts then

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Some left over pho, orzo Salad from last night. Eggs, a few bottles of Gatorade, half a bottle of siracha sauce...

If you want the German uniform stuff it's searchable, and you can always ask me questions if you want to know more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should make a blog where you copy all his posts then

Please don't do this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I figure having somebody else do it is kind of a dick move over the sake of attributing credit and rights.

Technically, I do have some web hosting, but it's very much bullshit hosting.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I figure having somebody else do it is kind of a dick move over the sake of attributing credit and rights.

A few years ago someone re-posted some of my posts from another forum on twitter. Unfortunately they had no idea what they were talking about and exaggerated some of the points I made, so they came off looking like a complete fool. For example, I talked about how the internal suspenders worked on a feldbluse, he exaggerated this to "so their belts fell off when they ran," which - no, that's not the problem they had.

I found out when his tweets got re-posted/tweeted by people I know who DO know what they're talking about, all with "can you believe this idiot?" comments. If anything I'm glad he didn't credit me.

But really, please don't repost my posts, that's just creepy.

And I'm always more than happy to just talk about the stuff or answer questions, and if I don't know I can ask others who do and pass along their info, properly credited.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 26, 2023

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oof, sorry to hear that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Norman Friedman Kindle update, $5 or less,

His second newest and some of the coolest, British Battleships of the Victorian Era. This one is a PDF, not native ebook. Still high quality, just more annoying to read.
https://www.amazon.com/British-Battleships-Victorian-Norman-Friedman-ebook/dp/B0B19795T3

More cool stuff, just smaller,
https://www.amazon.com/British-Destroyers-Earliest-Second-World-ebook/dp/B00LWF60EM

British Destroyers of WW2 and Beyond. The transition to missile destroyers would have been a lot cooler if the RN wasn't building ships with change found in their couch cushions,
https://www.amazon.com/British-Destroyers-Frigates-Second-World-ebook/dp/B00L6Z990K

British Submarines of the Cold War,
https://www.amazon.com/British-Submarines-Cold-War-Era-ebook/dp/B0B1TLPC7M

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Can't get past the paywall, was he okay?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

A few years ago someone re-posted some of my posts from another forum on twitter. Unfortunately they had no idea what they were talking about and exaggerated some of the points I made, so they came off looking like a complete fool. For example, I talked about how the internal suspenders worked on a feldbluse, he exaggerated this to "so their belts fell off when they ran," which - no, that's not the problem they had.

I found out when his tweets got re-posted/tweeted by people I know who DO know what they're talking about, all with "can you believe this idiot?" comments. If anything I'm glad he didn't credit me.

But really, please don't repost my posts, that's just creepy.

And I'm always more than happy to just talk about the stuff or answer questions, and if I don't know I can ask others who do and pass along their info, properly credited.

Yeah, I get people doing that, but sadly they credit me for whatever unhinged nonsense they imagine I wrote.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Video on polling political beliefs of German POWs ahead of repatriation at the end of WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLhXlQeJPk0

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just imagined some many years from now one of Cessna's grand-whatevers posting about his service after his mind is long gone. "It was really odd. He wouldn't stop ranting about Nazi clothes!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just imagined some many years from now one of Cessna's grand-whatevers posting about his service after his mind is long gone. "It was really odd. He wouldn't stop ranting about Nazi clothes!"

Nah, thing larger scale than that. Archeologists and historians 1000 years in the future trying to reconstruct fractured digital records. There is a multi-journal, knock down, drag out fight about whether the ancient scholar who went by the pen name "Cessna" was a veteran of World War 2 or the mid-21st century resource wars a century later. They don't think the internet was around during WW2, but on the other hand he seems to have spent a lot of time analyzing Nazi uniforms and equipment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some kind of history obsessed airplane? We believe he was used for ritual purposes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Period evidence suggests that he was a WW2 officer who later rose to prominence under General Ricardo "Khan" Montalban during the Eugenics Wars.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
All historical disputes were resolved by ritual combat in the forums. The battle was signaled to the surrounding community by a sacred Cessna circling the battlefield, trailing the warbanner "Eat at Arby's" behind it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The "Goons" were not in fact developers of the first-fruits rituals that became so prominent post terraformatting; this is based on a creative reading of the protomyth of the Mangosteen, which was, in fact, the reason for the fall of the First Taxman.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

This is not a place of honor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vagabong posted:

Can't get past the paywall, was he okay?

He needed dialysis but he was recovered after a month.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Period evidence suggests that he was a WW2 officer who later rose to prominence under General Ricardo "Khan" Montalban during the Eugenics Wars.

That explains his other posts praising the wonders of the lost art of fine Corinthian Leather.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
What was life like for tank crews in Vietnam?
Like infantry I get have to go on patrol all the time, never knowing if they would find anything and generally just having a bad time in the jungle but it got me thinking, running around in a stinking and obnoxiously hot metal box must've been pretty good in terms of protection but not so much in all other aspects?
Was it mostly just sitting around and endless maintenance or did they suffer the endless ambushes (and constant paranoia) of the bushes all holding VC, ready with an RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Greggster posted:

What was life like for tank crews in Vietnam?
Like infantry I get have to go on patrol all the time, never knowing if they would find anything and generally just having a bad time in the jungle but it got me thinking, running around in a stinking and obnoxiously hot metal box must've been pretty good in terms of protection but not so much in all other aspects?
Was it mostly just sitting around and endless maintenance or did they suffer the endless ambushes (and constant paranoia) of the bushes all holding VC, ready with an RPG?

It is my understanding (from stories from old platoon sergeants) that it was a combination of those.

- You'd spend time in a base camp of firebase, working on that tank and making sure it's operable, protecting the firebase from enemy assaults, etc.
- You'd go on patrols, driving with convoys to make sure the roads between bases were clear and open. Hipe you don't hit a mine.

It is my understanding (and this is pretty close to my experiences in Somalia) that tanks didn't really face combat all that often. The mere presence of a tank is going to scare away the vast majority of the enemy, and they'd only initiate an ambush rarely, when they had a very clear picture of where the tanks were going to be and lots of anti-tank weapons.

Consider - tanks don't work alone. You're never going to find a single tank blundering down a road. Tanks are going to work in sections of two or three - even if you get lucky and hit that tank with your RPG, the other tank is going to do it's absolute best to kill you. (And those tanks are not going to be the only thing there - there will be APCs full of grunts, grunts on foot, etc.) As a result, you aren't going to find sniper-like ambushes where you shoot at a single tank. Instead, you're going to do have to plan to take on a whole lot. You'll want mines, RPGs, you want everything. And this isn't going to happen all that often; it requires a lot of resources.

As such, most of the tanker's life is pretty boring. You're in a firebase working on the tank or sitting in the turret making sure no one tries to sneak up on the base. You might go out on patrol and drive to another base. You MIGHT assault a suspected enemy position and clear out some bunkers with main-gun rounds.

Most of the time you won't face much opposition. But when you do, things go to hell very quickly.