Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I still think the Ultramarines were fairly interesting until Graham McNeil got ahold of them and introduced his particular brand of brain rot. Yes I'm old and biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ultramarines can be good in the same way Superman can be good.

What I'm saying is, make a proper syndicated 40k cartoon series like the DCAU.

Anyway, almost done with The Reverie, and I love it. I thought only ADB was capable of thoughtfully writing about Chaos, but Fehervari not only gets it, but makes it more applicable to average everyday people and not just the supersoldiers.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Can we stop with the Guy Haley slander? He's not top tier but he's fine. I read/listened to the Guilliman vs Mortarion trilogy and The Great Work and all four were fine entertainment.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

OPAONI posted:

Can we stop with the Guy Haley slander? He's not top tier but he's fine. I read/listened to the Guilliman vs Mortarion trilogy and The Great Work and all four were fine entertainment.

No. I'm listening to Devastation of Baal right now and am genuinely staggered at how I like the Blood Angels less than I did at the start of the book.

Granted, that might partially be on the narrator, who is terrible.

I do hear good things about The Great Work, though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I really liked Pharos, and I thought The Devastation of Baal was very fun. That's my Guy takes.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I know this isn't the right thread, but I took a break from Warhammer to read Hyperion and... Wtf it ends on a cliffhanger?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OPAONI posted:

Those are all fine, I actually really liked The Great Work, but Haley has written a lot of absolute dogshit as well. He is very hit and miss and when he misses he misses hard.

His thing is the speed he can crank things out which is why he gets used so much. As more good authors have come on board his output has definitely dropped and hopefully his quality is higher because he has more time for writing each one.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Guy Haley's Warhammer Crime book, Flesh and Steel, was a good read. Its depiction of a servitor factory really stuck with me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I finished The Reverie.

gently caress you, Peter Fehervari, for making an edgy mysterious hooded guy with a gratuitously weeaboo name be unironically cool.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
His Baneblade and Shadowsword gave me the best tank battles I've read in written fiction and for that I'm grateful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mazed posted:

I finished The Reverie.

gently caress you, Peter Fehervari, for making an edgy mysterious hooded guy with a gratuitously weeaboo name be unironically cool.

He owns and I'm really interested in seeing where the Angels Resplendent and Penitent end up

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Why does every Stormcast eternal book, or book featuring stormcast as characters, also have to deal with the fact that the Stormcast's life before being forged in Sigmar's image is somehow integral to the plot?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

celewign posted:

I know this isn't the right thread, but I took a break from Warhammer to read Hyperion and... Wtf it ends on a cliffhanger?

Yeah you can keep reading the series but its all kind of diminishing returns

Hyperion is excellent though. Maybe except for Kassad loving the shrike .

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Calax posted:

Why does every Stormcast eternal book, or book featuring stormcast as characters, also have to deal with the fact that the Stormcast's life before being forged in Sigmar's image is somehow integral to the plot?

Because they're boring afterwards

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

D-Pad posted:

<New Ultramarine character spoilers>

...He's an apothecary biologis instead of just a regular apothecary. He's basically Fabius Bile but an Ultramarine. He focuses on studying xenos and has a weird rear end laboratory and is not your typical Ultramarine at all and all the others view him with suspicion. He also has a best friend that he grew up with and they both became Ultramarines who is also very different from the normal UM. He's pretty cool and almost like a world eater without the nails or a death guard or something in temperament. I would really like to see a book series that just follows these two it's nice to get some Ultramarines that aren't boring

I'm sure it would be ok if I actually read it, but this reads like those awful fan created star wars characters. "Yeah, my character is a cool bounty hunter but he was also a jedi so he has a cool lightsabre and he can use the dark AND the light side and he can do everything and he's cool like a bad guy but actually a good guy and..."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Calax posted:

Disclaimer: I have no interest in AoS

However, I remember one of the authors defending against the "they're just Sigmarines" accusations by claiming that while the appearance may be similar, the personalities are completely different.

Namely, Space Marines are brainwashed child-soldiers who defend humanity but are barely human at all, because they have been denied the chance at a human life.

Whereas Stormcast are very much human, who have lived a full life and are now fighting to protect something that they were a part of. They slowly lose their humanity with every resurrection, yes, but Space Marines never had that in the first place.

So, if there is a deliberate authorial effort to prevent the roided out pauldron-wearing God-forged supersoldier defenders of humanity from being confused with Space Marines, it would make sense that the novels would put an emphasis on their human past, because it's the least SM-ish thing about them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

S.J. posted:

I still think the Ultramarines were fairly interesting until Graham McNeil got ahold of them and introduced his particular brand of brain rot. Yes I'm old and biased.

All abord the daemon train!

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Calax posted:

I think its mostly lazyness on part of the author as its easy way to set up plot.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

S.J. posted:

Matt Ward also did a number on them too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I just read a book called Space Marine Conquests: Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds and it was decent but it brought up some lore things I never knew, namely not only is the imperial faith based on Lorgar's original writings, but the ecclesiarchy had an actual loyal Word Bearer dreadnought trapped in a wall for ten thousand years, channelling the Emperor and writing texts on the emperors divinity that the ecclesiarchy based the imperial faith on, and Guilliman knew all about it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The sequel, Fall of Hyperion, is great and you should absolutely read it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mazed posted:

I finished The Reverie.

This convinced me to finally throw an audible credit at The Reverie, so well done.

Also:

Deptfordx posted:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FPyat posted:

His Baneblade and Shadowsword gave me the best tank battles I've read in written fiction and for that I'm grateful.

My issue with Shadowsword is that the finale and the ending were flat as hell. The bits with the crashing ship otoh was cool.
The fact that the dramatis personae ruined the plot twist was lame though.

Calax posted:

Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods only vaguely mentioned it, and only in relation to that he might've slept with a female Stormcast whom is his superior.
Although can't remember if that as an actual thing or just some weird dream he had while being experimented on by the Skaven.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

OPAONI posted:

Continued Guy Haley Libel will be met with mandatory Nick Kyme and CS Goto reading assignments. Don't me make turn this thread around. :colbert:

Or :justpost: works too :v:

Leviathan is fine. It's not some top tier book but was anyone really expecting it to be? It's the New Thing book - they're never spectacular.

Deptfordx posted:

If you can give them a chance Endymion and Rise of Endymion are super worth reading but be prepared for a bit of a shall we say tonal shift

Edit: VVV

Oh no, is Dan Simmons some kind of horrible chud or something? Endymion/Rise of Endymion do give a lot of answers to some of the mysteries~ which is why I think they're worth reading (whether or not you like those answers is another thing heh). They're just very, very different books.

orphean fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 26, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I only read the first two Hyperion books and while I enjoyed them, everything I have heard about the sequels and the author made me decide not to continue.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I only read the first two Hyperion books and while I enjoyed them, everything I have heard about the sequels and the author made me decide not to continue.

Tell me more

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

notaspy posted:

Tell me more

let the man tell you more in his own words

https://farook.org/dansimmons.htm

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've also read the two sequels, when they came out. I remember them being fine, but couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in them. Whereas I've read the first 2 multiple times.

Incidentally, you don't actually have to read the later 2 sequels. The first 2 were entirely self-contained, the sequels came out years later.

As to

Improbable Lobster posted:

the author made me decide not to continue.

Dan Simmons went the full brainworms post 9/11. So that might well affect your decision to give him money. The Hyperion books were written well before he went Fox News Grandpa.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Deptfordx posted:

I've also read the two sequels, when they came out. I remember them being fine, but couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in them. Whereas I've read the first 2 multiple times.

Incidentally, you don't actually have to read the later 2 sequels. The first 2 were entirely self-contained, the sequels came out years later.

As to

Dan Simmons went the full brainworms post 9/11. So that might well affect your decision to give him money. The Hyperion books were written well before he went Fox News Grandpa.

This is super dissapointing. :(

Edit:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yikes :negative:

orphean fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 26, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Haha, that's awful. I had no idea Dan Simmons joined Frank Miller in post 9/11 dementia

Because I'm apparently terrible at time management I skimmed through that entire thing, but are there any hints at what these fateful THREE WORDS at the end are supposed to be?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

'It's too late'

Would be my off the cuff guess.

Or some other variation on 'It's gonna happen'.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
How incredibly (and yet entirely precedentedly) nuts. It's a shame because I really enjoyed Ilium and was looking forward to reading the Hyperion books. I can absolutely see a bit of reactionary old man-ism in the former though.

What strikes me as particularly dumb about the logic of his brainworms fictional story there, isn't the message that religious fundamentalism is a serious evil and danger. I do think there's some xenophobia, bad faith and political chicanery in saying that danger comes from Muslims though, in America it's much more likely coming from the already in place Christian fundie groups. The dumb thing is his fictional future has 'Islam' suddenly breaking out in what is implied to be some kind of overwhelmingly destructive military strike on Western nations and suddenly becoming an aggressive global superpower, committed to specifically subjugating Europe and North America. He specifically mentions other regions of the globe, but only in the context that this loss of Western hegemony has given them more power. The biggest national Islamic population in the world is Indonesia for god's sake. Would this caliphate not want to spread its influence into China or Russia, or in Africa? No, because those countries don't matter; in the same way as aliens only ever invading the continental USA and who gives a drat about the other places, evil Islam only wants to bring death to Americans and subjugation to white women. It's dumb. What military or political force is supposed to bring about this super effective Jihad? Does Simmons even understand Sunni and Shia conflict, and that Iran would fight Saudi Arabia about as readily as they'd fight Israel? This isn't even an attempt at short-form speculative fiction, it just uses the storytelling device to try and fool the reader into thinking it's dark and sombre, where in fact it's simply implausible.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I mean clearly the answer to all of your questions is 'No, he's not thinking about any of that.' But he's not making any kind of rational argument: it's a series of justifications for thinly veiled xenophobic racism and inconvenient things like 'facts' and 'reality' just don't play into it. It's one of those things that someone like Wolfgang Pauli would deride as "not even wrong" because it has no testable basis in reality.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OPAONI posted:

I'm a big haley booster, he's one of my favs honestly.

Dante/Devastation/Darkness is my favorite trilogy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fearless posted:

Matt Ward also did a number on them too.

Yeah. This was pretty awful too. But so was most of what he touched.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just finished a Nick Kyme short story in the Fear the Alien anthology I got last week that made me realise I have yet to read an interesting story involving marines and space hulks.

They all play out more or less the same way; Space Marines of [Chapter], usually Terminators, land on Space Hulk, they have [mission] to do, they fight Genestealers, sometimes fight other things, most of them die except the main character, his buddy/CO and some randos.

Space Hulk stories feel like the Black Library of old test story. Or just a random filler for that part.

Didn't help that in this one the main character was an rear end in a top hat through most of it and barely changed so he was just really unlikeable, despite suffering from unmentioned trauma. Which I assume was tied-in with the Salamander books or something.
Also did you know Salamanders love forges and fire? Because oh boy does Salamanders love forges and fire! They keep mentioning forges and fire a lot.
There was also a very sudden Night Lords cameo that served no purpose other than to lead to one character dying and giving the main character something to hate. Which I also assumed tied in to the Salamander books for all I know.

But yeah, can't remember reading a good or interesting story involving marines on space hulks.
There was one I read in Crucible of War that had prisoners staging a guerilla war against Orks on a hulk, that one was cool though. But the moment marines get involved it turns stale.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

I just finished a Nick Kyme short story in the Fear the Alien anthology I got last week that made me realise I have yet to read an interesting story involving marines and space hulks.

They all play out more or less the same way; Space Marines of [Chapter], usually Terminators, land on Space Hulk, they have [mission] to do, they fight Genestealers, sometimes fight other things, most of them die except the main character, his buddy/CO and some randos.

Space Hulk stories feel like the Black Library of old test story. Or just a random filler for that part.

At least The Death Of Integrity has a cool ending, I suppose?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

S.J. posted:

Yeah. This was pretty awful too. But so was most of what he touched.

Everything. Remember the bit about the incorruptible Grey Knights bathing in the blood of sororitas that they sacrificed for protection against Chaos?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mortals in a space hulk is way more interesting, yeah. "What if the colonial marines were twice as tall and could suplex a xenomorph and/or had a permanent power loader cheat?" No! Wrong! Maybe that's just AvP I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fearless posted:

Everything. Remember the bit about the incorruptible Grey Knights bathing in the blood of sororitas that they sacrificed for protection against Chaos?

I do and it still makes me wanna throw up in my mouth. He also created the stupid loving thunderwolf cavalry iirc