Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's hilarious that you dump on Thief when it, like Berserker, is a solid upper-middle tier job and way better than poo poo like Monk, Red Mage, or a Berserker-less Geomancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd take Monk over Berserker most days. Berserker does really anemic damage thanks to a combination of its bugged ATB and targeting the back row, and while it's useful once you get Rune Axe/Earth Hammer, and Death Sickles are useful for a while, it spends a long time being a drag on the party. It's also less than ideal at the final boss because, again, it'll target the back row frequently. Giving your other physical jobs Berserk secondary is pretty good for hammering through random encounters, though.

Monk is an easy source of physical damage and bulk that scales well if you're not running from encounters. Barehanded is like an easy-to-learn Equip Swords for your casters to throw in some damage. Innate Counter is really decent and can tip the balance here and there. It's terrible for quick runs, because it doesn't get the levels, but if you're doing Brave Blade/0 power Chicken Knife incentive I think it's really solid. Good synergy with Chemist and Bard as well!

(Except for fighting Byblos with monks, which is a dreadful unending nightmare.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's hilarious that you dump on Thief when it, like Berserker, is a solid upper-middle tier job and way better than poo poo like Monk, Red Mage, or a Berserker-less Geomancer.

Give me Red Mage over Thief any day. Rods, Protect, Cura, all beats being complete rear end until the Chicken Knife.

I'll take versatility over bad boring jobs like Thief and Dragoon any day.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It really depends on where the most important part of the game is for you, and I think that varies by person. I like Thief fine but yeah, it's mostly useful for Steal until it becomes a damage machine in the endgame. Steal is pretty good, though! Lots of hi-potions for free can be huge for runs that don't have natural healing.

Red Mage can also Sleep Atomos, break rods, do some fun stuff. They're weak in the endgame but very useful at several points before that. I personally think every job has hidden depth and cool strategies associated with it, and I'm not usually sad about getting any of them unless it's one I've already had bunches of times.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Welp, I hosed up. Thanks to some tips in the Discord, I manage to down Omega in two attempts with SAM/NIN/BER/BRD. Berzerker dual-wielding axes while everyone else just spammed Romeo's Ballad. Super easy.

Except I forgot to kill off a job when entering the void. Pressed the button, and away goes my Bard. Voids my Omega kill, and I don't see another SAM, NIN, or BER making up the difference. Nor would a RDM that I originally had prior to fifth job. At least, not without massive HP grinding.

No triple crown this run :(

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

Kyrosiris posted:

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

Was both aggravating and fun. Bard's !Hide really came in handy and I wished I remembered it sooner, but thankfully someone in the discord reminded me. A lot easier to !Hide than kill off party members.

girl dick energy posted:

There Are Even Twelve Of Them
$2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)
Also got all 12 legendary weapons because why not

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 27, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Monk isn't as terrible as advertised -- having by far the most hp in the game can help out the party a lot lategame (where they can easily soak algamest and give +30% hp to help others soak algamest), the area damage from !kick comes in handy in a few fights (dragon pod), and their fists can crit so they can deal ok (but not great) damage lategame (which can be boosted by kaiser knuckles if you are lucky to roll into time mage and therefore don't need boots). Also they scale the best with levels so if you want to grind a whole lot they get pretty strong. Also they clean house first world and are still decent damage second world before you get the chicken knife.

IMHO no job is completely useless and each have their moment where they can contribute -- even !gaia can deal decent damage in some spots with a wind dagger and against NED.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 26, 2023

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

First Fiesta run of 2023 completed! Still pretty sour about losing my Omega kill, but eh what can ya do. I gave Shinryu a try, but I just didn't have the survivability to take him without a means to Berserk/Blind him. I did chunk him for quite a bit of damage, at least.

Final jobs were: RDM/NIN/BER/SAM. Just threw money and legendary weapons at NED until he hosed off.

girl dick energy posted:

$2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

(Friendly reminder that you don't need to beat Leviathan, you can just leave after grabbing the tablet! :ssh:)

I'll probably start another run this week. I've never actually done the GBA post-content, either, so maybe after the Fiesta i'll give that whirl too

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feldegast42 posted:

which can be boosted by kaiser knuckles if you are lucky to roll into time mage and therefore don't need boots

People keep saying this and ignoring the actual important part about Hermes Sandals:

code:
INTIAL STATUS: (Always) Haste
STATUS IMMUNITY: Sleep, Paralyze, Stop, Slow

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

People keep saying this and ignoring the actual important part about Hermes Sandals:

code:
INTIAL STATUS: (Always) Haste
STATUS IMMUNITY: Sleep, Paralyze, Stop, Slow

Yeah I got Time Mage and I still made sure to pick up a full set of Sandals for the Void. Preventing Paralyze and Stop is still way more important than nearly anything else that other Rings can provide for most encounters, and NED loves throwing Dispels at you if you like actually casting Haste on your party.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

For raw damage there's an argument for Kaiser Knuckles on Monk because Counter also benefits from the damage bonus. Running Shoes are better defensively though, yeah.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You don't need a Time Mage necessarily - Samurai can cast Haste by using the Masamune. I wouldn't overly rely on Kaiser Knuckles gaming but it's not like it's completely not worth it in every single situation. It'll largely depend on your team though.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah the status immunities are by far the most important part of the sandals. That's why Monk is the worst job—it natively does One thing, badly (due to the formula fists use even with barehanded), and to mitigate its mid/late-game weaknesses requires making them vulnerable to very common statuses or already having a win button job that could also send any other physical class to space and win much faster. It operates best as a beefy chassis for something else and any non-berserker physical job could do the same thing.

Red Mage is also pretty bad, but it at least has a fair bit of utility and rod breaking access even if you never grind for Dualcast. Berserker's biggest problem is the lack of control, and it is a very big problem, but honestly having the frothing axe-murderer doing her own thing off to the side means I can focus on the other three, and the lack of control is far less painful after world one. Plus, Equip Axe is super useful for a lot of classes.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah that's fair, I was thinking of thief as pretty mediocre if you don't have a job that appreciates the stuff it steals but it does also make for a pretty good healing job just based on how early it can procure hi potions in elixirs.

I'd still have trouble calling berserker an "upper-middle tier job" just because like, there are a solid 15 jobs or so unambiguously better than it, but I guess the reality is there's a lot of good jobs in this game and having a berserker usually works out fine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, Running Shoes/Hermes Sandals do almost as much for Monk damage as the Kaiser Knuckles do, they're both about 2x damage as a basis. Counter synergy just gives Kaiser Knuckles a damage edge. I think they're totally fine so long as you're not trying to speedrun the game, in which case they're maybe the worst roll you could possibly get because everything they do is based on getting levels. But otherwise they're kind of much of a muchness with several other physical jobs whose endgame plan is "Fight for a decent amount of damage and be durable", with the caveat that they trade extra HP for no Aegis Shield. And as mentioned, HP+30% is really good for surviving Almagest with a fragile party.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I actually think Red Mage is fine. It just feels bad because you're comparing it in your mind to a bunch of the best classes in the game.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Run two complete, triple crown. Nothing to say here, really. Had to grind a bit to make two sets of !rapid kill Omega, and got lucky with the counter script.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Barehanded fists use the magic damage formula, is the thing. This means that a monk is doing like... world two weapon base damage in the void unless you actively grind them up, iirc. (Unless PR changed this... but I doubt it, it's a pretty loyal remake and even Matrix left Monk damage untouched.) Like, just putting them on the same playing field as other physical jobs, no other changes, would make them rocket up in usability because the damage nerf they get innately is just that bad.

Now, with the exception of certain Mime party set-ups you'd be hard-pressed to find a totally worthless job... but that doesn't mean that there aren't clear losers in the job list, yknow?

nrook posted:

I actually think Red Mage is fine. It just feels bad because you're comparing it in your mind to a bunch of the best classes in the game.

I can think of two changes that would make Red Mage feel way better to get by itself: boost the allowed spells to level 4, or include time magic 3. The problem is that every other caster is one of the best in the game, so Red Mage being low-mid on its own is super painful and it doesn't get quite enough utility to really recover from that (and outside of PR, their damage falls off a cliff pretty quickly).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Itd be cool if rdm's ability to use swords meant anything. I honestly forget they and blue mage have them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

blue gets shields which is really really big

red definitely doesn’t have much to do with swords but it’s useful in a few spots.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In my knight/blue run it was nice to have blue with swords because they could pretend they were frontliners with two-handed. Made stuff really simple.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Feldegast42 posted:

IMHO no job is completely useless and each have their moment where they can contribute -- even !gaia can deal decent damage in some spots with a wind dagger and against NED.

There are no bad jobs, only bad parties.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)

Excalibur and Sage's Staff are very good

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

Barehanded fists use the magic damage formula, is the thing. This means that a monk is doing like... world two weapon base damage in the void unless you actively grind them up, iirc. (Unless PR changed this... but I doubt it, it's a pretty loyal remake and even Matrix left Monk damage untouched.) Like, just putting them on the same playing field as other physical jobs, no other changes, would make them rocket up in usability because the damage nerf they get innately is just that bad.

There's definitely a gap, but it's not all that wide. Before factoring in Defense, a level 30 Monk with no gear swings in for an average of about 1520 with both attacks after factoring in their 8% crit chance, while a level 30 Knight with Excalibur and no other gear swings in for about 1780. The thing is that the Knight has access to Two-Handed, which doubles their damage, and if you have other physical multipliers like Rapid Fire or Dual Wield the Monk doesn't really benefit from them.

Counter maybe compensates a bit - depending on how many physical attacks enemies use in an encounter, it's possible for a Monk to reach parity with the Knight, although that won't usually be the case. It's much easier to put Brawl on a fragile class with no damage options and turn them into a respectable source of damage than to achieve the same thing with other physical jobs, though.

Against other physical jobs around the same level, like Samurai or Dragoon, attacking with their sealed weapons, the Monk actually comes out a ways ahead. The martial arts formula really isn't too bad - it doesn't compete with the best weapons in the game, but it lags only a little ways behind them. It's the secondary abilities Monk can't benefit from that are the real killer.

e: realised I'd forgotten to add the base Freelancer stats to Strength values there, the numbers are actually a lot higher!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 26, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bregor posted:

Excalibur and Sage's Staff are very good

I should do this too, 8x damage versus undead is nothing to sneeze at

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Red Mage is not actually a bad class. I absolutely despise the amount of ap it takes to master it, but even without considering doublecast, it might be the best class in world 1 and it has still has some utility after.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Today on the discord: "...!White does pass its magic, right?" "Yeah. It's just Geo that's a gently caress."

My dumb rear end:

e: Kyro brought an alternative art version to the table.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 26, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)

Done, now to beat Island Shrine.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 27, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Okay I'm a dumb idiot, and so I feel the need to cleanse myself with a :toxx:

You're Actually a Coward if you take the Brave Blade

It seems like every time I take a hiatus from the Fiesta, when I come back, Gilgabot gives me a team with a) a Knight, and b) no way to avoid Chicken Knife's Flee effect. So I get this idea in my head that I should not run away from any random encounter in the entire friggin' game! And every time I regret it as soon as I get blown off the Big Bridge in W2! I'm also a coward for refusing to shift gears, and therefore, I should pay. I will donate $5 for every full-power Brave Blade used on NED, up to $150 total (in honor of the totally epic and also extremely not-worth-it attack power of the dumbest sword in the game). Don't do it! It's really dumb! But if you insist, at least you'll be teaching me a lesson.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Good news, Fiesta histories are back:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1673512578591645696

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nrook posted:

Red Mage is a class you do not go to for numbers. It's stats are all mediocre to terrible and being locked at -ra level magic means it gets outstripped by mid w2. It's a support class through and through, basically on par with Bard but with a stronger early game to Bard's ridiculous endgame.

Once that gets internalized it's a lot better feeling; most of its bad blood comes from being compared (QUITE unfavorably) to the other Color Mages and Summoner, as opposed to being a Cometless Time Mage that is worse at snapping rods.

Honestly I don't think you even need to change its skillset to improve it; just swap Raise with Shell. Raise is kind of rubbish as White Magic and not having Shell access is the only reason that RDM demands that sort of coverage.

EDIT: Another important point as far as lower tier classes go: Yes, Monk has an astounding early game and then falls straight off the face of a cliff into being The Sturdiest Itembot by early W3 at the latest. But something a lot of people don't seem to take into account is that Monk offers so much utility just in skills to other classes. The HP passives can be the difference between grinding 10 more levels to survive Almagest. Non-Knight melee attackers (Samurai, Dragoon, Ninja) absolutely love Counter. (It also allows your Knight to contribute damage in berserked Shinryu fights, at that!) !Focus is one of the skills that bypasses the Chicken Knife check. Barehanded isn't great in late game but it's at least a way to help your mages save MP through trash fights if you feel you have to grind them. (It also passes on Monk Strength so it's good for physical characters that are slightly lacking in that department like Beastmaster or Thief.)

The only time Monk is bad is when you're actually being the monk. (And times where Monk is your best damage.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 27, 2023

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Alright, I have attained my last job and its... Dragoon.

Honestly, I shouldn't complain cause I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, and Bard.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

wokow6 posted:

Alright, I have attained my last job and its... Dragoon.

Honestly, I shouldn't complain cause I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, and Bard.

You got a second bard that can wear heavy armor. :toot: Or a Blue Mage with better White Winds, one supposes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Red Mage is a class you do not go to for numbers. It's stats are all mediocre to terrible and being locked at -ra level magic means it gets outstripped by mid w2. It's a support class through and through, basically on par with Bard but with a stronger early game to Bard's ridiculous endgame.

Once that gets internalized it's a lot better feeling; most of its bad blood comes from being compared (QUITE unfavorably) to the other Color Mages and Summoner, as opposed to being a Cometless Time Mage that is worse at snapping rods.

Honestly I don't think you even need to change its skillset to improve it; just swap Raise with Shell. Raise is kind of rubbish as White Magic and not having Shell access is the only reason that RDM demands that sort of coverage.

This would definitely make Red Mage cooler, but I worry that it’d make White Mage less special if Red Mage got both Protect and Shell. (Blue Mage does get both eventually, but that comes very late.) You could move Protect out of Red Magic I suppose, and then make up for that by providing either it or Blink early in W1 (like Esuna is now). That way White would still have a nice advantage in support.

The game could also just give Red Mage good stats; there’s not really any compelling reason they have to be so terrible. It’d be neat if it could do good damage with the Rune Blade. Shields would also help but they feel un-Red Magely somehow.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Nothing to say about the Pyramid. I ran over Apanda. I ignored Azulmagia because of whoever's offering money for King Behemoth's head before his, but forgot to take proof. :P Everyone having !White secondary made the random Ninja encounters a joke. Catastrophe I also ran over, it just has way too little HP for this stage of the game to be anything resembling a threat. One of the Jura Aevis minibosses got off a Maelstrom, but attack, attack, Holy, Holy carried the day. Somebody forgot to tell Halicarnassus that !Finisher (and lots of stuff really) works through Toad. I won without removing the status because of it. From playing around, I found that Rune Axe could sometimes match the Brave Blade due to its double multipliers, as long as the Gladiator had !White secondary. Of course it did wildly varying damage, so it wasn't consistent.

Twintania is weak to Holy, so a barrage of those won me the fight. Gloves off on Giltoss for Necrophobe. On my way back to Azulmagia, I stole a Murakumo! This is stronger and has a higher crit chance than the Masamune. I quickly backtracked to secure it in case anything went wrong. I was going to set up for Shinryu, but then I realized that 1) I hadn't stolen a Dragon Lance yet and 2) I needed to gain a level to dodge L2 Old. Though I did rectify 1 on the way back.

Shinryu! "You have Berserk this should be easy." / "I have Chemist and planning, I don't need it." If you're wondering why a bunch of statuses don't land, it's because of the status bug! Short version is, your status immunities from equipment persist for one battle and combine with whatever equipment you change to. This also works for shield switching: if you have Aegis for a turn then switch to Genji, you keep the former's petrify immunity. I use a Life Shield mix on Faris because White Mage couldn't wear Bone Mail (farmed up three beforehand!), but with two shield classes all could get petrify immunity. I did a bunch of suboptimal stuff, and that's besides just using Berserk to turn this into a boring mindless fight easily won with Blink, but a win's a win.

With that done, the final boss was just a formality. Holy and attacks cut the tree down to size. I went with no !Mix and no AoE for the final boss. The Dragon Lance helped assault the Grand Cross form of Neo Exdeath, constantly resetting its AI script and making sure I saw zero of them. Huge HP and Shell made Almagest a non-issue.

Impulsively at the very end, I decided to fight the desperation phase, i.e. only one part remaining and having it go crazy. This is worth watching just for the first Meteor and my reaction to it. I go from prepping a party-wide Curaga to one just for Krile, then an Arise when she takes all four hits, then I just confirm it when Almagest follows

But I wasn't quite satisfied with just that. There's postgame content for this ludicrously overpowered party to style on! My personal rule for it in a fiesta setting is that you can use Beastmaster or Thief strictly for the parts they're required, as well as Necromancer if you want to do the boss rush. Because it's rather silly to restrict it to fiestas that happen to luck into both of those two jobs - or just being unable to do it altogether in the case of the boss rush. Then again, a lot of the design in the Sealed Temple is really silly.

The early portions of the temple were just a formality. Most of the early enemies were just from the Rift, with the odd new one like Soul Eaters. Berserk was pretty useful against certain enemies like those. I eventually came to the first boss, Gil Turtle. This is just Gil Turtle verbatim, exact same as World 2 except for a drop. I was even stronger now and it was still the same, so the same Blink strategy worked. Ice Brand and Sage's Staff ripped it apart: no Holy since it's immune, unfortunately. I didn't prepare float, but Shell helped me eat the finishing Earthquake. The dungeoneering got me the Mace of Zeus, which is an even stronger Morning Star (still outdated compared to Holy at this point), and Gladius, a Holy-elemental knife (better for the Chemist).

Grand Aevis is the first formal new boss, accompanied by two Dark Elementals who can sling Aeroga and heal it with White Wind (5500 max HP). This was where I started flexing the status bug in full. Lenna was the Gladiator of choice since her !Finisher was the only one not absorbed or immune. After blowing up one and weakening the other, it was just wailing it down. Both physical attackers had Long Reach, and they kept attacking Faris early which was annoying. Video link if you want it.

Mirage Vests were the armor of choice: it was nice having on free Blink on three of my four party members every turn. One thing I was noticing as I went through the temple, I thought I'd grinded enough for the money cannon. Turns out, it disappears pretty fast when you spam Giltoss too much. It was around this time that I had to calm down and only use it when I really needed it. A good target to use it anyway was the Exorays: imagine the flowers that show up at the Dragon Pod, as 6000HP random encounters who can also cast Firaga and throw out Zombie Powder on a counter. Throwing money wiped all five every time, however.

I made it down the temple, bypassing the Thief check as discussed, and before heading back up, decided to challenge the new superbosses. Omega Mk-ii is virtually identical to the original, just with a wallchange gimmick, a counter for Rapid Fire specifically, and somewhat higher stats. The first I ignore, the second I can't use aside from the Hayate Bow, and the third just means more HP. It even still has the Stop/Song weakness. I crush it after six minutes of setting up, and this shows what I would've done to the original. Neo Shinryu is not like the original. It's in a dragon-filled area; found another way to bully Shield Dragons while I was there - Reflect Berserk and kill! I didn't need to buff nearly as much against it, mostly some defensive stuff. It's also a weird fight with a gimmick of appearing vulnerable only half the time, but I did a decent job of keeping track of when it was. Another victory. Its Mute also failed to work. If I had to guess why, it's for the same reason its opening Mighty Guard doesn't work most of the time.

These have some powerful rewards. I never used the Force Shield here but have before: 10% evade, very heavy, but total elemental immunity. But the Ultima Weapon is a 180 power sword (not a Knight Sword). That replaced the Brave Blade on my Gladiator, but I kept not running anyway.

I went back up briefly but quickly moved onto Archeodemon. This is a weird gimmick boss: it absorbs all elements and counters anything that isn't magic with Death on his undead self. Using an Ether (which caps his MP to 9999) followed by some Dark Ethers on him allows me to strip him of his MP in short order and kill him easily from there. Then I went down, stealing an Earthbreaker (strongest axe fwiw) and grabbing a katana that sports a 50% crit rate (one of the best weapons, I'd say). Guardian is Soul Cannon 2.0, with an added twist of a fourth part that can do some actions. Also if you let the gun charge you die instantly to a double Wave Cannon. Giltoss destroyed the pieces and attacks/Holy brought it down.

That just left Enuo. I came in with Bone Mail resistances on 3/4 party members, as well as Angel and Aegis resistances on all. I needed ProShell and Blink (to dodge a stupidly strong physical called Dimension Zero), but no problem with HP buffing and Dragon's Kisses either. I also used a single Dragon Power on all of my party members so their level wouldn't be divisible by 3. With all this White Magic around, that just left the question of damage. !Zeninage and !Finisher both could cap while being in the back row, but the former needed me to reduce Enuo's defense first. Twice actually, since he has two forms. Due to the status resistance bug, all the Grand Crosses did was poison on someone who didn't get it, and Toad on Bartz. I proceeded to disrespectfully slay the Void's creator with a froggy !Finisher. Like, purposefully, I skipped Faris' turn just so I could do that.

One last thing to do before I'd done everything possible with this fiesta is the Cloister of the Dead, the boss rush of the game. You face 30 enemies in groups of 5, all buffed to be something of a challenge. The only trouble is that this includes Minotaur, Omniscient, and Archeodemon (the only temple boss to show up). There was really nothing special about it. I played conservatively early on, and the result was not needing to use a single Elixir. Catastrophe of all things was the only time I really needed healing. I could Sleep Atomos and Melusine more easily now too, which helped on them.

And that's it! This fiesta is super done! With a party like this, yeah, this was easy. And a full-power Brave Blade run to the very end. Hopefully when/if I do another one, I get some jobs that will prove something more of a challenge. Don't know if I'll run the Sealed Temple on any further runs though, it takes a while and it's rough without a good party. But then again, it could also be fun...

Might do an Onion run next. I might also do a Blame run once the Berserker Risk gets maxed out, since I never finished it before and that's the only way you can do it now. Also I checked the site and there seems to be something simply called "Run". It might just be a glitch however, since I only see two people who are doing one shown on the list. One of them has all locked jobs, and the other seems to have a broken image as the first job.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2023

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm surprised this wasn't posted here yet

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021

Bregor posted:

It seems like every time I take a hiatus from the Fiesta, when I come back, Gilgabot gives me a team with a) a Knight, and b) no way to avoid Chicken Knife's Flee effect. So I get this idea in my head that I should not run away from any random encounter in the entire friggin' game! And every time I regret it as soon as I get blown off the Big Bridge in W2! I'm also a coward for refusing to shift gears, and therefore, I should pay. I will donate $5 for every full-power Brave Blade used on NED, up to $150 total (in honor of the totally epic and also extremely not-worth-it attack power of the dumbest sword in the game). Don't do it! It's really dumb! But if you insist, at least you'll be teaching me a lesson.

Run 3 down with White Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Knight. Did full power Brave Blade, and didn't even need to do Fork Tower this time.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

girl dick energy posted:

Looks like I accidentally cut off the top two weapons in this screenshot (looks like Excalibur and Sasuke's Katana) but the weapons come in sets of 3 so it's not like I could get 10 without also getting 12.

Mustached Demon posted:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

Still wasn't sure about PR's expanded character limit so I kept it short and sweet this time around.

Bonus Content
Operation: Stupid Omega Kill
The team: Knight, Time Mage, Bard, and Summoner
The Setup:
Knight, Bard, and Summoner have !Sing
Time Mage has the Morningstar and Two-Handed (Base Str 41)
The Plan:
Romeo's Ballad and Attack
In Action:

Lol I didn't even heal before hand. Couldn't snag any screenshots with the damage numbers, but they ranged from about 40 to about 1500.
The Result (10 Minutes Later):

Operation: Stupid Shinryu Kill
The Setup:
Time Mage with Power Staff. Time Mage, Summoner, and Bard with Summon
Knight with... well, you'll see
The Plan:
Berserk Shinryu, Berserk Knight, Spam Golem
In Action:

I had the Summoner and Bard singing Hero's Rime and Swift Song; Time Mage was enough to keep Golem up. Knight's damage numbers with the harp started at 5500; the final hit was a little over 7k.
The Result:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bregor posted:

I did this too, but it'll take me a bit to get the screenshot.

I was on PR though so I had a little bit of wiggle room to run a handful of times. Kept the Attack Power at 255 the entire time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021

nrook posted:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

Run 4 is a Normal run with Black Mage/Summoner/Ninja so far. I will be attempting the full Bestiary with this team (complete with Enuo).

EDIT: Defeated Jackanapes before Byblos with this team:

EDIT: A Skull Eater died to this team before losing the Fire-Powered Ship:

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 27, 2023