Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

Guest2553 posted:

Holy poo poo this did not get enough love, but also hits close to home. I was in the married too young church girl demo and that sure was a lovrcraftian view into an alternate reality had we not gone to secular colleges.

Church: Don't try it even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

It looks like it's been deleted already, but r/personalfinance just had an amazing thread called "Wedding + Horse Vet Bills + Job Loss." You know you've got quality BWM if the OP is a disabled veteran who keeps repeating "I'll sell my self on a street corner, but I'm not selling my wife's horse" like a mantra.

Wait is the horse the veteran here?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jenkl posted:

Wait is the horse the veteran here?

The horse might well have been the groom, from the sounds of it.
:nws:Or the bull.:nws:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Aaaahaha I haven't seen a good berth ell pup reference in a while.

In BWM content, my spouse went to visit their sibling to help out with their new babby and learned that they didn't bother changing their address with the taxman so their rebate checks have been going to somebody elses house. Since 2016.

There's some other stuff going on that would cross into sad-with-money territory if they have a HHI of 100k and shouldn't need to sell the kid's toys to buy groceries.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LanceHunter posted:

So the tiktokker released an update saying it was all a prank. But the fear in his eyes as he does that video actually makes me more suspicious that he might have actually tried something like this:

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1672351601804341248?s=20

There is a section of John Mulaney's latest stand up special where he talks about basically doing this (with his own credit card) to get coke money. This is a coke head level scam.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I trust spider pigs financial advice.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Fil5000 posted:

There is a section of John Mulaney's latest stand up special where he talks about basically doing this (with his own credit card) to get coke money. This is a coke head level scam.

lol I just watched this, it’s true

-he knew he was a coke head so he told his bank not to give him cash (or more cash past a certain amount) (gwm)
-he still needed money for coke so he used his own credit card to buy a Rolex, then immediately pawned the Rolex for like 50% of what he paid for it (in cash)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

lol I just watched this, it’s true

-he knew he was a coke head so he told his bank not to give him cash (or more cash past a certain amount) (gwm)
-he still needed money for coke so he used his own credit card to buy a Rolex, then immediately pawned the Rolex for like 50% of what he paid for it (in cash)

And then did so much coke that he mistakenly threw a starbucks bag holding $3k of that cash down the trash chute in his building.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My favorite line from that Mulaney special is something that definitely applies to both that tiktok story but also a ton of what we see posted here. "If you think what I just told you was bad, remember . . . these are the stories I was willing to tell you."

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What kind of investment is it where I give someone money and they pay me back my principle with gains?

quote:

I have a friend who has a equipment business. I loaned him 100k to purchase the equipment. He will give back 200k. 100k principle and 100k in gains. What kind of investment is this. Would it be considerred capital gains? all these questions are for tax purposes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cael posted:

My favorite line from that Mulaney special is something that definitely applies to both that tiktok story but also a ton of what we see posted here. "If you think what I just told you was bad, remember . . . these are the stories I was willing to tell you."

I wonder if he's thought about how much drugs he could have bought with the money he made telling jokes about his drugged-out debauchery.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

How do these people have 100k to loan out?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Rufio posted:

There is no requirement to be smart, fiscally or otherwise, to have any amount of money. This guy is probably about to burn his whole life savings, inheritance, or take a 2nd mortgage on his house for this sure bet.

Edit: I was curious and checked his post history. He got a 200k inheritance from his uncle and immediately became a WSB and crypto guy and I'm guessing 100k is what he has left. Also be warned he straight up posted a picture of his butthole so if you decide to look at his post history you will probably end up seeing that.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 28, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Butthole and Wealth Mismanagement: look at his post history you will probably end up seeing that

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

For some reason I read this as gym equipment the first time which made getting paid back in gains very funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
24-year old quitting job, selling all of his possessions, moving to Europe, and planning on backpacking for the rest of his life.

He is hoping to have ~$25k to $30k when all is said and done and that will last him the rest of his life.

He is estimating that he will need less than $5k in total spending per year for the rest of his life.

He plans to use an app that hooks you up with a host family who will give you food and a room in exchange for at least 25 hours of work every week. He assumes this has housing and food covered for the next 50 years.

quote:

I'm planning to quit my job, sell everything, and backpack indefinitely. What should I do with my savings?

As you've read, I'm ditching everything to travel. I'm 24 years old and have decided climbing the corporate ladder isn't what I want to do with my life.

I'm hoping to have $25k-$30k in total savings once I've sold everything. I'm leaving the US for Europe first, doing a work exchange I've found through Workaway where my housing and meals are paid for in exchange for ~25hrs of work per week.

I'm planning to hop between work exchanges while being as frugal as possible, and am setting a $5k spending limit for the first year. I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on what I should do with the other ~$20k while it just sits there for >1 year. I don't feel confident in putting it all in the market with a safe strategy, so I'd like to hear if anyone might have other ideas. Roast me, help me, let me hear ur thoughts -- thanks!

quote:

I’m wondering if 5K a year is realistic

Some people believe in him.

quote:

quote:

In Europe £400 a month is not realistic! Op is dreaming

you saw that his food and accommodation was paid for, right? all his core needs have been fulfilled. that 400 euro is pure luxury at that point. maybe buy some clothes now and then, phone bill, bus pass, he still has like 300 or more to spare. in latvija its 25 euro for unlimited data, texting, and calling with LMT, it's not much different in other countries.

quote:

It's not. And the chances OPw I'll find those 25 hrs of work any less awful and dissatisfying than his/her current job is also quite unlikely. 25k in savings isn't anywhere near enough to do something like this.

Did you not hear him say he is living frugally? That means it is impossible to run out of money. You don't need a plan or math, you just need to live frugally!

quote:

quote:

He doesn't even mention health insurance. He is not planning to be in some cheap country, OP is choosing western Europe and making best case scenario assumptions (that the work he signed up for will be reasonable and accurate to what he expects, that the food provided is something he tolerates, that there aren't unexpected health expenses, etc). The cool think about traveling to Europe is traveling to nearby towns and counties, that's very expensive and not feasible on $400 a month. If OP is fine being poor and feeling poor, then that's fine.

he literally said he will be living frugally. He didn't say western europe in his post, maybe in a comment somewhere. you can get super cheap health insurance for less than 100 euro a month, to cover only critical injury and illness. anything else heals on it's own. I'm assuming OP is a regular fit individual, they're only 24 and want to backpack around. He's probably going to stay in a place for a while, until he finds another good setup in a new location.

quote:

quote:

OP is 24, traveling long term for the first time, and only working part time - it’s not realistic to expect them to sit quietly on a farm eating chicken and rice for months at a time. They’ll want to go on day trips, go into town, buy drinks, make friends. Workaways can also end very suddenly and then you need to find your own lodging, travel between cities, etc etc etc - in Europe just one transition like that will run hundreds of dollars.

This. That 25-30K will probably last a year, not 5K a year lol

quote:

Arrange it so you can come back when realizing all the inconveniences of backpacking

quote:

quote:

5k spending limit ha ha, ha. good luck, this isn't 1990 sir

Yeah, I don't know how enjoyable being dirt poor in Europe is going to be compared to "climbing the corporate ladder."

quote:

Why are you choosing the two most expensive continents to try and live off 5k for a year on? Seems unrealistic unless you work.

quote:

I've had work-stay people on my farm and been to others with them. Did a couple of my own once upon a time.

Bear in mind, you may be sleeping in a bunk bed, trailer, or shared cabin. The 25 hours of work is fine, but you'll be doing the most mundane tasks, usually weeding if it's a farm. (I don't need someone watching me do skilled things, I need hands in soil.) And there's a lot of time lost every day to shared mealtimes. (Frankly, I hate them. It's a big production every day with houseguests.) Without a car or bike, you're beholden on the homeowner for rides to do things, unless you're near transit.

My advice on getting along, is to be clear in your communications and their expectations. What days do they definitely need you? How will you talk if the work is getting too demanding of your time? What will you do when (it's a when, not an if) you need to leave suddenly?

As someone a decade older than you who is basically starting over trying to get my own place, new job, and allll my own furniture and belongings again, this is not a fun time. It's very expensive to start over. I have basically zero savings and assets, and while I used to think they weren't important, I'm really wishing I had made some better choices sooner. If I were you, I'd find a remote job and travel for a year but keep your stuff and place, or I'd take a couple months off to go someplace on the cheap. Maybe go back to college.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rufio posted:

It’s probably this (same OP): If I’m about to go through a divorce (wife doesn’t know about it yet), Can the wife still go after my money if I give it away to someone else?

Although, he later states “he’s just curious” and “not even married”.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

24-year old quitting job, selling all of his possessions, moving to Europe, and planning on backpacking for the rest of his life.

On the one hand, this is incredibly stupid and almost certainly doomed to fail.

On the other hand, my former step-sister (is that what you call someone who was a step-sibling from your dad's second marriage when he's now on marriage number four?) hosed off to Europe with no plan, no degree, and just what could fit into a backpack. She ended up getting involved in an early internet business in Italy and managed to parley that into a very successful career in Rome.

On the other-other hand again, she was extremely bright and sociable and had the good fortune of being in exactly the right place at the right time (which involved mostly being in a major city). This idiot is going to be stuck on farms away from any real opportunities (and it doesn't seem like he is actually looking for those opportunities anyways). Also, of course, this idiot is an idiot.

If he really wanted the migrant farm worker experience he could just move to Santa Cruz County and do it there.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

He is hoping to have ~$25k to $30k when all is said and done and that will last him the rest of his life.

He is estimating that he will need less than $5k in total spending per year for the rest of his life.

I mean, he’ll be working (illegally, I assume), so I guess this could work out. Hard life, though.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

It’s probably this (same OP): If I’m about to go through a divorce (wife doesn’t know about it yet), Can the wife still go after my money if I give it away to someone else?

Although, he later states “he’s just curious” and “not even married”.

Yeah, just like he was curious way before when he asked how to protect his inheritance from his future wife in case of divorce.

Also lol that he might be doing this stupid scheme partially to hide marital assets in a divorce.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

quote:

Arrange it so you can come back when realizing all the inconveniences of backpacking

It will absolutely fail, but if they were to follow this advice I'd give them my blessing to go and be dumb in their 20s.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

i love that this guys plan for escaping the "corporate ladder" is apparently to do unpaid farmwork

i hope for his sake that customs denies him entry when he tells them he's going to work on a hungarian potato farm for the next 50 years

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

If he really wanted the migrant farm worker experience he could just move to Santa Cruz County and do it there.

I highly recommend it, because then he's not so far from home when he quits 2 hours into his first day of picking onions.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Europe is wildly expensive for this plan. I had an employee do this a few years ago, except he chose Thailand which seemed more viable. But even then he had about twice that amount saved up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Yeah I've known people who have done this. Usually what they did was work really difficult and dangerous jobs in Asia for 6 months of the year and then spend the rest going from youth hostel to youth hostel. It was a rough life, and the guy didn't even plan of doing it for more than a few years. He did meet his future wife, my friend, that way and they've been married and living in Scotland (where he's from) for decades now.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
You don’t have to go to Asia to do that. You can just work in an oil rig, right here in the states.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lifg posted:

You don’t have to go to Asia to do that. You can just work in an oil rig, right here in the states.

Who gives you free rice and chicken for 25 hours of labor on the oil rig, though?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got cafeterias on site dude

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Badly Wanting Manhattan (views)

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/nj-homeowner-cut-down-32-of-his-neighbors-trees-and-cost-could-top-1-8m/

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Here's the start of the twitter thread they reference in the story:

https://twitter.com/SamAsIAm/status/1673371814188421125?s=20

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The trial date is July 18 at (I think) 1:30pm local. It's going to be in-person so I'm not sure if it will be streamed, unfortunately.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

This is the view from the top of Pyramid Mountain just south of Kinnelon, for reference.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Me reaping: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me sowing: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I see what you did there and I appreciate it

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

sleepy gary posted:

The trial date is July 18 at (I think) 1:30pm local. It's going to be in-person so I'm not sure if it will be streamed, unfortunately.

The initial hearing on Zoom was so overloaded with spectators that they had to ask people to leave because the prosecutor couldn't join. It's just too delicious a story.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The people love a good tree law.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Trees are insanely popular. A candidate could run a grassroots campaign on just trees and grow a mighty base as long as they didn’t branch out too much.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

Trees are insanely popular. A candidate could run a grassroots campaign on just trees and grow a mighty base as long as they didn’t branch out too much.

You're forcing the issue too much. You should have swon it first and let it take root and grow naturally. Now it's just going to be pruned and wither on the vine.

I still think it's a fertile ground and ripe for more fruitful discussions, though.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
He'll never be head of a major corporation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The tree-cutter is CEO of a company that supposedly makes devices for soldiers to detect IEDs, which brought to mind the BWM/BWL fake bomb detector sold by a British company that was widely (and ineffectively) used in Iraq.