Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shifty Pony posted:

Really want to see how that brain trust secured the house-side ends of the rafters.

Because I suspect that is now a load-bearing veneer.

This is located in Denver, and the garage is old enough to be structural brick, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wheatpuppy posted:

Well if they live in a part of the world where there is never snow or wind or earthquakes, and roofing materials are very lightweight, and nobody ever plans to lean on any of the uprights ... it might be ok?

Where on the Moon is this being built?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

This is located in Denver, and the garage is old enough to be structural brick, at least.

Minor update, the ledger board was shot into the brick with ramset fasteners.

He reported seeing daylight between the ledger board and every single rafter.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jenkl posted:

Im struggling to find words for this. I just keep going in circles. I can't figure out where to start.

Lemme try
Hinged post/beam connection
Toenailed no seat cut rafter/beam connection

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'll take a picture when I next open this particular Pandora's box but it appears that the inexplicable "soft spot" in the carpet is in fact because when they put the pipes in for the radiator instead of cutting a small notch in the floor to do it they cut about a 15cm square around the pipe and just sort of left it there so needless to say the piece fell into the floor space and the carpet just sort of hangs out over it, supported via it's own tension.

There was clearly an apprentice on the team that built this place because for every 4 well built things there's one inexplicably stupid or badly done one. I think this might be the worst one.

Or maybe that's the huge number of TV and satellite aerial cables run through down to the cupboard under the stairs but never actually connected to anything because I guess the electrician got bored.

No wait maybe it's the external plastic meter box fitted internally for no reason and screwed into place with 4 inch tapered screws such that it was impossible to get off the wall without ripping it apart. The power company engineer that came round to refit the meter and move it up the wall said he couldn't work out why it had been done except some combination of an incorrectly placed power line and a massive misunderstanding about the regs on meter placement.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Last time I dealt with load-bearing carpet was in a double-wide

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Same. Tell your mom hi for me

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

the yeti posted:

There seems to be some light colored thing periodic on the house side but I can’t make out what it is.

I’m prepared to assume they put bolts through the brick but not into any structural members :haw:
Kinda wondering if that's just glue seeping out from the lateral boards being glued to a horizontal one.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

at least in a doublewide the walls help hold the carpet in place

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

cephalopods posted:

at least in a doublewide the walls help hold the carpet in place

You say "doublewide", but I hear "Mother in law suite".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

Another one:

Can you ollie a wheelchair?

Curb aside, why even bother with steps on the right?

StormDrain posted:

My friend spotted his neighbor's carport under construction. He said the crew just looked like the b squad from a distance.

I'll take "what is a rafter tie?" for $500, Alex. Or maybe "what is a rafter notch?"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Darchangel posted:

Curb aside, why even bother with steps on the right?

It's probably like 1" over the maximum step height by code. I'm trying to eye ball the step height, and it does look a little tall if they didn't put in the other step in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

No. No!

Why is the insulation melted on the far right? :ohdear:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Helluva time delay on those

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

skybolt_1 posted:

No. No!

Why is the insulation melted on the far right? :ohdear:

for the same reason the fuses that used to be there have been replaced with giant stranded wire, perhaps: someone was sick of the fuse constantly blowing because of the, to use the technical wording, large extra amounts of electricity happening in that region

the bonus electrons

xtra large energy bois being boisterous over there

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I just realized that the reason so much bare aluminum is exposed on the blue feeder is because the insulation melted and slid down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

the bonus electrons

I like this one, as it has the same simple understatement and levity that power excursion does.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

e: whoops wrong thread

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 28, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

I just realized that the reason so much bare aluminum is exposed on the blue feeder is because the insulation melted and slid down.

it's copper cable, and it's that color because of the scorching, burning of insulation, and/or arcing

e. oh you said the feeder, the lower cable. Odd that it's silver, might be copper with a soldered silvering (a good practice for twisted strand cable going into a connector I think?) but maybe it's aluminum wire in which case, yuck

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

....God drat I hope that's not three-phase.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mycomancy posted:

....God drat I hope that's not three-phase.

Three phase: possibly
Five alarm: likely

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love so much that they did this but also took the time to match the insulation to the other cables.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

I love so much that they did this but also took the time to match the insulation to the other cables.

Look, there's reckless, and there's insanity.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

Look, there's reckless, and there's insanity.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

it's copper cable, and it's that color because of the scorching, burning of insulation, and/or arcing

e. oh you said the feeder, the lower cable. Odd that it's silver, might be copper with a soldered silvering (a good practice for twisted strand cable going into a connector I think?) but maybe it's aluminum wire in which case, yuck

Aluminum is pretty common for larger cables. It has to be larger anyway for the same power conduction I beleive, but still a lot cheaper for a long run. Doesn't get loose here the same as it does on outlets since it doesn't have as much activity vibrating it. Chances are the cables from the local transformer to your home are alu.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trying to imagine the cost of high voltage copper transmission lines

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Aluminum conductors require larger cross section than copper for the same resistance, but they’re lighter despite the greater bulk, and they have better tensile strength.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Trying to imagine the cost of high voltage copper transmission lines

When I first started working at the electric utility in Northern Indiana in the early 2000s, there was one or two 138kV lines left that had copper conductor. They eventually got replaced because it had a really low thermal limit. At least compared to modern ACSR conductors. Supposedly copper conductor has a problem with annealing, so if the current gets to high for to long, the line stretches too much and then it’s proper hosed. Or more correctly, anything underneath it is at higher risk of getting crispy.

For those that don’t know, ACSR = Aluminum Conductor, Steel Reinforced. There is a braided steel core, with aluminum strands wrapped around the outside. The steel is the primary load bearing part, and the aluminum is the conductor. Electrons only really flow on the surface layer of metal, so making the core of it something else doesn’t really hurt the conductivity of it.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 29, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sash! posted:

I like this one, as it has the same simple understatement and levity that power excursion does.

My favorites of that type from rocket science are "rapid unplanned disassembly" and "engine-rich exhaust."

Honorable mention goes to "lithobraking," because that may occasionally be a valid move.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Orvin posted:

When I first started working at the electric utility in Northern Indiana in the early 2000s, there was one or two 138kV lines left that had copper conductor. They eventually got replaced because it had a really low thermal limit. At least compared to modern ACSR conductors. Supposedly copper conductor has a problem with annealing, so if the current gets to high for to long, the line stretches too much and then it’s proper hosed. Or more correctly, anything underneath it is at higher risk of getting crispy.

For those that don’t know, ACSR = Aluminum Conductor, Steel Reinforced. There is a braided steel core, with aluminum strands wrapped around the outside. The steel is the primary load bearing part, and the aluminum is the conductor. Electrons only really flow on the surface layer of metal, so making the core of it something else doesn’t really hurt the conductivity of it.

An old electrician I worked with told me a story of when some 69kV overhead copper lines faulted, when the fault cleared and they went to clean up the mess those overhead lines had the flexibility of a 16ga extension cord.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Orvin posted:

Electrons only really flow on the surface layer of metal, so making the core of it something else doesn’t really hurt the conductivity of it.

This isn't really true. You're thinking of the skin effect, which results from the changing magnetic field creating a back-EMF towards the center of the conductor which opposes current flow. This is frequency-dependent (and hence doesn't apply at all with DC), and is comparatively minor at low frequencies. In aluminum at 60Hz, the skin depth is almost half an inch.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wonder what ghosts are after this builder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PurpleXVI posted:

Good lord.
I don't know where to begin, and they didn't know where to stop. The electrical and plumbing have GOT to be a nightmare. Not to mention foundation and joints between the disparate additions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PurpleXVI posted:

This is 3k/night on Airbnb

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PurpleXVI posted:

Uncle Fenestration.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Look, I know I’m not much of an architect, but can we please not post candid screenshots of my Sims 4 gameplay in this thread

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PurpleXVI posted:

The Borgrover Cube

"Regulations are futile"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Don't sleep on what appears to be three(visible! could be more!) chimneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the door on the left might have been the original shotgun style house.