Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

What duration? Don't you think interest rates are going to go higher or are you expecting a tapering?

I think it's really near top, if we aren't there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We will stay here for some time but could absolutely go a little higher on rates They have been clear that 2023 is not a year of rate cuts. Language has been continually "we'll do what's necessary".

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

They've already said plan for another .5 at a minimum, and yea could def go up from there.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Thus far JPow has surprisingly done exactly what he has previously said he would do with regard to interest rates. If this continues, it's smart to stay short-term on your t-bill durations for now, and then when the rate top seems in, lock in longer durations to either hold to maturity or sell when rates are cut in the future.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

They've already said plan for another .5 at a minimum, and yea could def go up from there.

Yeah that's short term rates though. Hard to predict when longer term rates will peak. May have already happened.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Subvisual Haze posted:

Thus far JPow has surprisingly done exactly what he has previously said he would do with regard to interest rates. If this continues, it's smart to stay short-term on your t-bill durations for now, and then when the rate top seems in, lock in longer durations to either hold to maturity or sell when rates are cut in the future.

That's my take. At least .5 this year and probably some small tinkering next year. Unemployment is still super low so you're gonna have inflation irrespective of everything else so that means some amount of likely rate hikes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

aswath revisits nvidia; lots of detail here. his terminal growth rate seems pessimistic but i’m phone posting so i haven’t went through everything.

https://twitter.com/aswathdamodaran/status/1672351351492444160

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
TSLA and META both down >3% today. Clearly the markets are not pleased with the proposed Musk v Zuck match.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the half-coup in russia is a win for biden and the democrats, republicans in disarray, target up 2%

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Subvisual Haze posted:

TSLA and META both down >3% today. Clearly the markets are not pleased with the proposed Musk v Zuck match.

Even worse, Musk's mom is trying to break up the fight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Forgot to sell my $6 sofi calls when it hit almost $10 the other day :doh:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Are more people coming around to the idea that these two are active drags on their respective companies? They're not serious people anymore.

Anyway, Limes are down to 39 cents a piece again, soon to drop to 29, and I found a decent replacement for Chartreuse at half the price so I can once again afford to make myself Last Words guilt-free. Inflation is over.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

AngryBooch posted:

Are more people coming around to the idea that these two are active drags on their respective companies? They're not serious people anymore.

Anyway, Limes are down to 39 cents a piece again, soon to drop to 29, and I found a decent replacement for Chartreuse at half the price so I can once again afford to make myself Last Words guilt-free. Inflation is over.

Lol if you weren't trading lime futures.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

the half-coup in russia is a win for biden and the democrats, republicans in disarray, target up 2%

Would love a twitter bot that just paired a random news story and a random stock, but twitter bots aren’t in such a good place.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Chakan posted:

Would love a twitter bot that just paired a random news story and a random stock, but twitter bots aren’t in such a good place.

i believe this what market watch benzenga are

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You should take the opportunity to sell your SOFI shares at the current price while you're at it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Bought AAL sept 15 '23 18c on the 16th, I thought it was a mistake 36 hours ago as I was down like 40%.

I'm now up about 34% and can't decide if I should hold them a little longer, I think they're going to do really well come earnings but that's a long time to hold.

I think I'll likely sell half and hang onto half

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Forgot, or got greedy hoping it would go higher? Might as well hold, maybe you’ll get that supreme court bump.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Picking up some KDP today

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
With the news that AirBNB revenue is down across several major markets, is this the time to sell?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Lemon Trees posted:

With the news that AirBNB revenue is down across several major markets, is this the time to sell?

Anyone booked with them lately, are the changes they made any good? Is it taking time for renters to remove all the insane extra charges, or are hotels still just the obvious choice in most markets unless you need a weird number of beds or something. VRBO actually seemed better than ABNB last time I checked (awhile ago).

I sold some puts on JOBY, July 7.5p. Getting a production line aircraft approved seems like a pretty decent step, seems like they are actually gonna get this Air Force contract fulfilled. And I'm just betting that nothing too negative comes out in 3 weeks to completely kill that bump.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does airbnb have cash reserves to burn to get rates/fees to a point where customers aren't visibly pissed off checking in/out of reservations yet

We've virtually sworn off airbnb as of two years ago, if the time to sell wasn't then it feels like now is a second best time

I don't even look at airbnb listings anymore we just book a hotel

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just did a hotwire hotel booking because all the air bnbs where I was going were like 20 bucks more a night before fees and taxes. And that's for a room in a shared house situation. If airbnb is at parity to hotels the only real incentive is novelty.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Airbnb-like things are still decent for larger groups. The problem is 90% of what's on Airbnb is also on vrbo and vrbo/expedia/hotels.com are all the same company and it seems like they're moving towards being a unified option that brings hotels and vacation rentals together into one ecosystem. I think currently Airbnb is surviving on brand but unless they also fully lean into hotel bookings as well (there are already a fair number of hotel bookings on Airbnb, but generally its more expensive options) I'm not sure how they'll compete.

e: for example earlier this winter I was looking into a few condo rentals in the Tahoe area on Airbnb and I ended up finding the same (or at least similar) units in the same complex for cheaper on expedia

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 28, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
even for large groups, twitter feed just gave me this:

https://twitter.com/josephazam/status/1673743222395510784

Paying extra to run the risk of hidden cameras, loving wild. ABNB just has to be *significantly* cheaper than a hotel to make up for this kind of crap.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I mean getting a bunch of hotel rooms just isn't the same experience as getting a big house. But Airbnb also isn't the only game in town for those either.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I prefer renting a house/apartment/flat/condo purely for the full-sized kitchen. Kitchenettes in extended stay hotels usually aren't the same.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just lol if you're not making grilled cheese using the clothes iron.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

spf3million posted:

I prefer renting a house/apartment/flat/condo purely for the full-sized kitchen. Kitchenettes in extended stay hotels usually aren't the same.

on the last day of any Airbnb you gotta fry up a pound of fatty bacon and just pour the hot grease directly down the drain. True living.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Stupid basic question: If I place a limit sell order after hours at a price below the current spot, the order will essentially sell at the highest possible price at opening (as long as it's above my order price), correct? So if I set set the limit sell at 100 and the stock opens at 105, it will sell for 105?

I just placed a bunch of these orders on vanguard as Im liquidating a bunch of holdings to move them into retirement-oriented ETFs. I am 99% sure this is correct but I'm also kinda terrified. I used limit orders to avoid selling something too low due to any wild volatility that may occur at opening.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 28, 2023

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

hobbez posted:

Stupid basic question: If I place a limit sell order after hours at a price below the current spot, the order will essentially sell at the highest possible price at opening (as long as it's above my order price), correct? So if I set set the limit sell at 100 and the stock opens at 105, it will sell for 105?

I just placed a bunch of these orders on vanguard as Im liquidating a bunch of holdings to move them into retirement-oriented ETFs. I am 99% sure this is correct but I'm also kinda terrified. I used limit orders to avoid selling something too low due to any wild volatility that may occur at opening.

If they are day orders they will get cancelled before the market opens if they don’t fill in after hours.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Also depending on how liquid the ETF/etc are you may get a pretty nasty fill right at open. I would place an order during market hours unless it’s something super liquid.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pastrami posted:

Also depending on how liquid the ETF/etc are you may get a pretty nasty fill right at open. I would place an order during market hours unless it’s something super liquid.

Definitely. With lower volume stuff you might get filled right at your limit. See how the market opens and place your limit orders then.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

it is all like AAPL and MCD and poo poo, pretty liquid/high volume stuff

it also said specifically the orders won't fill overnight, they go into effect when the market re-opens

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I’d just place an order during market hours since you’re with vanguard. you could talk to them and have them place a market on open or market on close order but they’d probably charge a fee for the assistance and you can’t do it yourself in their app.

schwab/tda or most other brokers is nicer that way for easy access to MOC orders

Baddog
May 12, 2001

hobbez posted:

it is all like AAPL and MCD and poo poo, pretty liquid/high volume stuff

it also said specifically the orders won't fill overnight, they go into effect when the market re-opens

I still would be leery of it, I believe your "i want at least x at open" order is gonna get consolidated into the whole weird "determine the opening price" process. I think it is different for each exchange, but here is nasdaqs.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/opening-cross.asp

You really don't want to cancel them and input during the day tomorrow? I use limits to get a price in between the bid and the ask. It sounds like you put these in with limits well below the closing price today?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Baddog posted:

I still would be leery of it, I believe your "i want at least x at open" order is gonna get consolidated into the whole weird "determine the opening price" process. I think it is different for each exchange, but here is nasdaqs.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/opening-cross.asp

You really don't want to cancel them and input during the day tomorrow? I use limits to get a price in between the bid and the ask. It sounds like you put these in with limits well below the closing price today?

The orders are place at like, at most 5% or less below the closing number from today

I guess maybe I should cancel them. I don't have a ton of time off during trading hours so it may just be a week or so until I get out of this grab bag of stocks and into something more manageable

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Ok I am going through and cancelling them.

So, to be clear, the most predictable way to liquidate these is to place a market order during regular trading hours?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

hobbez posted:

Ok I am going through and cancelling them.

So, to be clear, the most predictable way to liquidate these is to place a market order during regular trading hours?

Yep. Someone else mentioned you might be able to call in and have them place the liquidation for everything but usually that incurs some sort of fee/commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A $20 difference between bid and ask price is a good sign, right?