Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hexel posted:

They need something for Moiraine to do is season 2 so...:shrug:

ChubbyChecker posted:

maybe her sister will be a darkfriend

A darkfein would be more interesting.

In a story that already has a shitload of characters, they are going to create even more? I wish they'd focus on fleshing out the existing ones. I don't need to see 6 different storylines in a 55 minute episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'd hazard a guess this character will replace the head of House Damodred that Rand meets with in Cairhien, hid name escapes me right now. Barthanes?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

they need to create new plot for Moiraine, because Pike is a huge name and they can't have her do nothing for half a season.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Sure, I get that. Have her story interweave with existing characters, so the main ones can get better fleshed out.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

It's completely fine and often necessary to invent new characters in adaptations. Kind of like in S1 the darkfriend girl was a new character, because you don't have time in a TV show to have four different darkfriends in four different villages. Instead you compress them into one character that tries to hit multiple plot/theme points at once. Whether main characters get enough development and screen time is a completely unrelated matter.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

they could do that, but then they'd have to torpedo one of the biggest themes of books 2 and 3, which is "Rand goes off without Moiraine".

*shrug*

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I wonder if in the season after Moraine's "death" we will get some scenes with her in captivity.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of captivity, does Ran hang dong in book 2?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Not on screen but yeah, the mixed baths and such

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

You don't remember the three pages of description of Rand's hog?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

JOHN SKELETON posted:

You don't remember the three pages of description of Rand's hog?

Must have been drowned out by everyone talking about Randy’s taint all the time.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Someone post the Aes Sedai boob ritual but if it was men, you know the one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think the Aiel flashback chapters in TSR are some of my favorite passages to read, ever. Definitely in fantasy anyway.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

I think the Aiel flashback chapters in TSR are some of my favorite passages to read, ever. Definitely in fantasy anyway.

the flashbacks were the best thing that jordan ever wrote

the flashforward was good too, was it jordan's?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All the alt dimension stuff is really good. I’ll lump the travel stones where he meets Lanfear in there too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And, of course, flicker.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

All his little short stories are great. I love the one on the tower as the mass invasion begins.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ChubbyChecker posted:

the flashbacks were the best thing that jordan ever wrote

the flashforward was good too, was it jordan's?

I'm pretty sure the flash forward was Sanderson.

e: Yeah it was him.

"Aviendha's trip through the glass pillars was the most audacious thing I believe I pitched at Team Jordan, and was one of the things about which they were the most skeptical. Perrin's balance between action and inaction risked having him descend into passiveness."

"When asked about Aviendha’s second trip through the pillars in Rhuidean, Brandon said that he pitched that sequence. He related that Team Jordan was initially reluctant, but once he actually wrote a draft of the scene, they loved it. He said that he is most proud of that chapter."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shageletic posted:

They are legitimate masterpieces. They make SO MUCH SENSE on how the Aiel became a warrior culture from a people sworn to never do violence. The scenes are great, and heartbreaking. And also do so much to flesh out the history of the world between the Breaking and the "current" time. Just amazing writing, and proof why fantasy and sci-fi don't belong in some ghetto, distinct from "real" literature.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Torrannor posted:

They are legitimate masterpieces. They make SO MUCH SENSE on how the Aiel became a warrior culture from a people sworn to never do violence. The scenes are great, and heartbreaking. And also do so much to flesh out the history of the world between the Breaking and the "current" time. Just amazing writing, and proof why fantasy and sci-fi don't belong in some ghetto, distinct from "real" literature.

And it explained them without an info dump but just this traumatic line of narrative where you see child and grandchild being irrevocably affected by the pain of their parents. It's so subtle, from the constant rejoicing of whatever time period they are in as being the only one that exists, to moral decisions being battled by competing notions of duty and responsibility...ah so good. It also literally pays off 4 books worth of suggested backhostory and vague allusions and intriguing side characters , and gently caress

And I have no idea how you can do it justice outside of a book.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Double denim is back in style as of now

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1674780363636486144

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Who is she? What character?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's Ceara Coveney who is playing Elayne, Princess of the jrapless jodice

\/ she's already confirmed for Elayne

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Possibly Elayne but no telling for sure. If they're on the path of creating new characters for the show then she could be Sherrin, half-sister of Perrin.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Poor Sherrin, fell on a pair of shears

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

And it explained them without an info dump but just this traumatic line of narrative where you see child and grandchild being irrevocably affected by the pain of their parents. It's so subtle, from the constant rejoicing of whatever time period they are in as being the only one that exists, to moral decisions being battled by competing notions of duty and responsibility...ah so good. It also literally pays off 4 books worth of suggested backhostory and vague allusions and intriguing side characters , and gently caress

And I have no idea how you can do it justice outside of a book.

It really is a great example of how intergenerational trauma builds on itself until you have a culture where folks would rather kill themselves than accept the truth of their past.

Didn't get to see that a lot (ever?) in the fantasy of that era.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Just finished the Rosamund Pike Great Hunt. Since she is doing a Texas accent for Seanchan, that makes me almost certain we get it in the show too.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Mage_Boy posted:

Just finished the Rosamund Pike Great Hunt. Since she is doing a Texas accent for Seanchan, that makes me almost certain we get it in the show too.
:pray: please let it happen

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Here's something amusing. I purchased The Shadow Rising and the colored map at the front of the book is upside-down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OhFunny posted:

Here's something amusing. I purchased The Shadow Rising and the colored map at the front of the book is upside-down.

Obviously the Lord of Chaos got to your copy before you; that, or it's simply the view from the Land of Madmen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*map comes to life and starts attacking you with sextants and astrolabes*

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Is there an arrow in the middle of the map with the caption "here be dragons?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I forget was the WoT map one of the more funny versions of fantasy writers don't know geography thing (the way rivers and mountains are places on a map)?

It kinda made sense to me with most of the rivers originating from mountains but Randlans does kinda look like a very fat belly

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I forget was the WoT map one of the more funny versions of fantasy writers don't know geography thing (the way rivers and mountains are places on a map)?

It kinda made sense to me with most of the rivers originating from mountains but Randlans does kinda look like a very fat belly

So like the Buddha angreal eh?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I imagine WoT geography has some license to be weird considering that a lot of it is essentially the result of an apocalypse instead of natural forces.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also Jordan didn't want to have a map. And just drew some garbage on a legal pad when he finally gave in to pressure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Also Jordan didn't want to have a map. And just drew some garbage on a legal pad when he finally gave in to pressure

I don't think Jordan drew the original map(s) himself. He gave direction to an artist I think.

The various "errors" in the WoT maps, such as mountain ranges going down into the sea along the Blight edge, are apparently deliberate and intended to be signs and vestiges of the Breaking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty funny that so much of the story takes place in the Waste and all the maps cut off there

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No one had maps of the waste for the most part! Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

We're getting an anime?

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-is-getting-an-animated-prequel-film-called-the-white-tower

quote:

The Wheel of Time Is Getting an Animated Prequel Film Called The White Tower
The film will focus on the stronghold of the Aes Sedai.

iwot productions and Squeeze Studios have announced The White Tower, an animated The Wheel of Time prequel movie that will follow a young girl with a special gift who must rise up against an evil that threatens everything she loves.

For those unfamiliar, The White Tower of Tar Valon is one of the most important places for the Aes Sedai - the group of women in the world of The Wheel of Time who are able to channel the One Power. This film will explore this tower and if it can help the currently unnamed protagonist save her village.

"The feature will be set in a time before the events chronicled in the popular The Wheel of Time television series from Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television," The official description reads. "It is an action-adventure about a young girl with a special gift whose life is forever changed when evil visits her remote mountain village. Finding herself alone in a dangerous world, she must go to The White Tower to learn how to use her magical powers in order to save her family and friends. Rebellious and distrusting, she learns that friendship can be as powerful a weapon against evil as any form of magic."

This original story will be written by Thor, X-Men: First Class, and Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous' Zack Stentz and will have a huge focus on "female empowerment."

"The animation platform has given us the means to expand The Wheel of Time experience by targeting a young adult audience while remaining loyal to the world long cherished by Wheel of Time fans,” said Rick Selvage, CEO of iwot productions. “The White Tower is an action- packed adventure, with a transcendent message of female empowerment that will inspire a new generation of imaginative young women.”

We weren't given many other details about the film that has yet to be given a release window, but the news does arrive shortly before The Wheel of Time's second season arrives on Prime Video on September 1, 2023.

The Wheel of Time's first season arrived on Prime Video in 2021 and is an adaptation of Robert Jordan's beloved book series that began in 1990 with The Eye of the World.

In our review of the Season 1 finale of The Wheel of Time, we said it "delivers a dramatic battle, big emotions, and a glimpse of the Dark One’s plan in an excellent Season 1 finale."