Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Ok thanks. Yeah it’s pretty shallow at 5.5”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This isn't really quite true. Growing opium poppies for ornamental or culinary purposes is fine, but harvesting narcotic raw materials from them is not. It's a pretty murky legal thing which as I understand it hinges alot on intent, but the basic takeaway is that no, it's not illegal for you to grow P. somniferum in your yard if you want to look at them or harvest seeds, just don't go slicing the pods and collecting latex or whatever.
Huh! Did not know. Thank you.

e: Checked a government site and found this weird bit of folk medicine.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 12, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

That all makes a lot of sense -- opoids are used to treat coughs (codeine) and diarrhea. The active ingredient in Imodium is an opoid that can't cross the blood brain barrier.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, I think I only know it by the ridiculous name it was sold under, "frizzle sizzle" or some such nonsense. I suck at succulents (:haw:), but this one seems happy so far, anyway.

Albuca spiralis is the scientific name, "frizzle sizzle" is a cultivar that's often sold in stores.
The flowers have a spicy fragrance, akin to a carnation.

Let me add my lupin to the mix. Lupinus polyphyllus hybrid I grew from seed.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 13, 2023

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I've got a pyrethrin bug bomb to try and deal with my spider mite problem. Plan is to put all my plants on a table in my driveway, tent then with some plastic and then set the bomb off when I go to sleep.

Is there an issue with leaving the plants tented like that all night or will they not be affected by such a long exposure?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’m going to be out of town for 2 weeks, but I have some orchids that need moist medium (Catasetums, etc). Any thoughts on how to make sure they don’t dry out too much? I don’t trust my pet sitter to water them properly.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ok Comboomer posted:

one of them sucks poo poo and the other sucks poo poo somewhat less

Edit: sorry, I don’t mean to diss a tree that you might have in your yard. Leylands are just infamous as “landlord special” trees that are dirt cheap to propagate and grow up and therefore dirt cheap to sell. They grow quickly and are relatively hardy (assuming that like deer don’t shred them or you don’t roast them during a drought) when young, which means that they’re great at getting really big really fast—which makes them a popular choice for quick, cheap landscape plants with fast curb appeal (this makes them extra popular on house flips and “starter” homes) and as hedges/privacy trees/green walls/etc.

The problem comes when the tree hits its twenties or even late teens, gets sick, and/or begins to die of old age. At that point it’s basically impossible to save and it becomes the (usually the next) owner’s big problem, especially if it’s close to the house.

Their “live fast, die young” strategy also applies to their reproduction, and they can become an awful invasive tree in North America and Europe.

They did plant two of them close to the house and one very close to the garage.

The home inspector recommended cutting down the two by the house as he had concerns about the root system of those trees being that close to the foundation.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Really wish people would stop limbing up conifers. It looks so stupid.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bobfromsales posted:

Really wish people would stop limbing up conifers. It looks so stupid.

Sometimes the trees force it on you. I have to cut the next round of branches off my fir before they fall off themselves and put a hole in my garage. Spruce and pine trees will often just have lower sets of branches die back as well. Maybe if you have one tree in an empty field it'll keep all it's branches for a long time, but if they're in a copse you'll be in after 5-7 years cutting out dead lower branches. I'd rather people have trees and cut off the lower branches than not have trees in any case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my parents have an atlas blue cedar that the previous owner of their home planted maybe 15 feet from the front of their house, probably four or even five decades ago.

I grew up with this tree and my earliest memories are of it maybe 20-25 feet tall roughly 30 years ago.

The tree is now like maybe 40 or even 50 feet tall, well taller than the house it’s next to, and I’m wondering if it should be removed at some point.

That said they’ve had plenty of inspectors and engineers come by, most recently last year when they installed a heat pump HVAC, and nobody’s ever said poo poo about the giant cedar right by the front door. And this is in “if you so much as think about putting up a shed we’ll send a guy from the city with a clipboard to your house” Connecticut. The most they’ve ever heard about it was before an oil tank removal under its roots 20 years ago, which ended up being an apparent non-issue.

FWIW the tree seems to be in excellent health, and appears to have topped out at its final adult height and greatly slowed down its growth a couple of years ago. I would really hate to lose it—it’s an absolute stunner of a tree, but I understand that it can arguably pose a hazard both to the home’s foundation or in a fall.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 15, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If it's a tall healthy tree, don't worry about it. Cedars aren't shallow-rooted trees, like eucalytuses or scrub pines, that want to fall over at a moment's notice. If it's healthy and beautiful and not making the house gloomy, rejoice in it in these global-warming times. If you're worried, you can pay an arborist to come have a look at it.

Any tree can fall over given the right storm, but that's not a good reason to keep all trees one tree-height away from the house.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Atlas Cedars do have a very unfortunate habit of losing limbs in storms, specifically at points where they have previously been topped/had work done.

They never really heal from having limbs removed, but then continue growing up and around at these points which can then trap rain water and develop a long horizontal fault, which at some point just shears off.

In other words, like mentioned, the roots (if undisturbed) are usually very stable, but an inspection in the crown of older trees every few years is recommended

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Anyone know how to plant stuff on top of bulb plants, specifically Iris', so it'll bloom after they do their thing? If that's even possible. Previous owners of our house loving loved them; we're gonna have around 200 square feet of dead space in the front unless I figure something out.

Bonus tree question: best way to winterize young trees in a 7b climate that will get 1-2 foot winter storms. I bought a couple olive trees and planted them outside (gently caress you I can throw away my money how I want) and they can supposedly survive in zone 7 once established. Just gotta keep them alive for a few winters.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Managed to find an Empress Wu hosta at the Home Depot. Aw yeah.

Also got a coreopsis, another bleeding heart, and a red variety of black-eyed susan.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I made bog pots for some of my carnivores this year. The red sphagnum moss is my favorite part; I could have pots full of only this. Most of these have a focal Sarracenia and some Venus fly traps. The companion plants are Phemeranthus, Rhexia (hasn't come up yet but they make beautiful "jugs" after they flower), and a volunteer sundew.

All the Sarracenia fell down though lol (this one is an endangered S. oreophila)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm real jealous of those flytraps. I've had awful luck with them.

Carnivore posting:

I've had mine at my apartment for a couple years under grow lights, but I moved to a new place without a good spot for them. Moved them all to my parents hoop house, but I'm only there to visit on weekends so I wanted some semi-automatic watering.

Designed these auto-watering bottle attachments years ago that I 3d print, and they worked great but out in the heat the water was evaporating quicker than a week.

So I built a quick table that fits an under-bed storage sterilite and set up a float valve with my RO water system. Automatic watering! Now I have a lot more room for more plants too...

Still have my sundews and butterworts at home though :3:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is a really cool water setup. I actually made these big pots for the same reason. All my smaller pots dry out quickly. These don't drain, so they hold a lot more water. It's great for the moss too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The past couple of seasons I've been trying to resurrect this old rose bush that was choked out by grapevines along my back fence.

It's looking a lot happier now! Does anyone have a guess as to the cultivar? It has a bit of white on the interior petal whorl.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Newbie DIY irrigation question:

I have a vegetable garden that starts about 150ft from my house. The space in-between is lawn that covers a septic tank leach field, so I can't really dig much or bury anything in that zone, or plant much in it besides grass and other low-lying plants with shallow herbaceous roots. Someday I want to make some of it flowers, but that's a big project and for now it's just 150ft of useless, non-irrigated suburban lawn between my garden and the hose bib, which I have to mow (riding mower) every 2 weeks-ish. I currently have 200ft of garden hose that I run out to the garden and attach to a sprinkler or a hand-sprayer. I think I'd like to upgrade to a drip system to be much water water efficient. Good idea, right? The question is: How would I cover that 150ft distance? From basic initial reading it seems like a normal drip setup would have a filter, a pressure-reducer, a backflow-preventer, and an adapter/coupler that runs to a 1/2 inch main line, then 1/4 inch lines with drippers run off of that. For this setup 150ft away, would I want to put that whole connector assembly up at the hose bib, then run 1/2 inch main line 150ft out to the garden, or would I use the existing garden hose to get out toward the garden and put that whole assembly on the far end of it? Am I going to be in trouble with pressure to cover that much distance (e.g. after a pressure reducer), and that makes one option better than the other? It seems like either way, there's not much choice but to run the setup above-ground and either live with looking at a hose on a semi-permanent basis, or deal with connecting/disconnecting when it's not in use. People talk about mulching over these hoses, but it's the middle of uninterrupted lawn, so a line of mulch in the middle would probably look worse than the hose. Thoughts or advice?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do raised beds on top and you wont need to dig down

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My understanding is that you can't put raised beds on a septic leach field either, because it weighs too much (crushes the stuff shallowly buried underneath) and blocks evaporation (which is the point of the leach field).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dang

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

The past couple of seasons I've been trying to resurrect this old rose bush that was choked out by grapevines along my back fence.

It's looking a lot happier now! Does anyone have a guess as to the cultivar? It has a bit of white on the interior petal whorl.

The answer to "what is this abandoned rose" is nearly always "Dr. Huey". Why? Commercial roses are grafted on to rootstock, because it's a lot faster to create salable roses that way. Dr. Huey is the standard rootstock, and if the grafted-on rose dies, Dr. Huey roars into the gap. It's a nice rose in its own right, introduced in 1920. I am passing this on because it is a fun fact. https://www.rosenotes.com/2012/03/dr-huey-you-sucker-you.html

However. Dr. Huey is a deep red, and your rose is pink, so that rules it out. Can you put in a picture of the top side of a leaf? I want to see the arrangement of the leaves on the stem, not a single leaf. Furthermore, does your rose bloom all year, or just once in the spring?

e: Oh, I'd also like a picture of a bud, and of the flower when it's just opening, if you can.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Brawnfire posted:

Poke around the Antique Rose Emporium's website and see if you see anything that looks like a match. They don't always have great pictures so google once you find something promising. Looks like a polyantha or floribunda type to me from the clusters of smaller flowers.

These two look like possibilities-pink, double blooms in clusters:
https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/excellenz-von-schubert?_pos=10&_sid=8e7614ea2&_ss=r
https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/gabrielle-privat?_pos=1&_sid=40db99ac2&_ss=r

E: repeat bloomer vs. only blooms once is a very helpful identifier with roses so pay attention to that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'll try to get some of those shots! Thanks for the info so far. This is my first foray [or should I say flores] into roses., so I don't know poo poo from shinola.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Poke around the Antique Rose Emporium's website and see if you see anything that looks like a match. They don't always have great pictures so google once you find something promising. Looks like a polyantha or floribunda type to me from the clusters of smaller flowers.

Great call.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I ended up letting the dr. huey develop on my sugar moon rose bush because they seem to be growing in opposite directions from each other, and honestly the red roses are genuinely pretty. I tend to be more laissez-faire with my outside plants and since they're in containers, I don't have to worry about spread.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Got a new desk lamp because my mothers of thousands were turning into leggy bitches on the window sill.

Bonus view of flowering haworthia in the back.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
My hostas are starting to bloom! :D

Poor thing got beat up this year by an early hailstorm we had, but it's come back quite nicely.

Some of the other hostas. Not quite flowering but I'm sure they won't be far behind. I'm hoping to split the two bigger clumps next year and replant some of them to make a hosta and fern garden along the really shady side of our deck.

And my pond iris, I think it's an Emperor Iris, is doing well. Looks like we might get two blossoms off it this year.

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 5, 2023

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
To maybe help others, I found this article on combining garden hose with drip main lines, which at least gives a recommended order of how to put the components together:
https://help.dripdepot.com/support/solutions/articles/11000081042-garden-hose-or-poly-tubing-what-should-i-use-
They recommend 1" or 3/4" tube for the distance rather than garden hose, but garden hose is using what I already have, so at least for now I think I'll keep that and save money. Later on I can replace with poly tubing that'll probably last longer and come in a less conspicuous color than my neon yellow flexzilla hoses.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

To maybe help others, I found this article on combining garden hose with drip main lines, which at least gives a recommended order of how to put the components together:
https://help.dripdepot.com/support/solutions/articles/11000081042-garden-hose-or-poly-tubing-what-should-i-use-
They recommend 1" or 3/4" tube for the distance rather than garden hose, but garden hose is using what I already have, so at least for now I think I'll keep that and save money. Later on I can replace with poly tubing that'll probably last longer and come in a less conspicuous color than my neon yellow flexzilla hoses.

I do timer > backflow > garden hose > pressure regulator > hose thread adapter > 1/2" tubing > 1/4" drip and emitters. Mine runs up a hill in my backyard and while I haven't measured the PSI, it's not optimal for all my emitters, but it gets the job done.

A lot of hoses you get commercially are sneakily 1/2" interior diameter anyway. Poly tubing is kind of annoying to handle, I wouldn't be running like 20-30 feet of it in lieu of a hose.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

A lot of hoses you get commercially are sneakily 1/2" interior diameter anyway. Poly tubing is kind of annoying to handle, I wouldn't be running like 20-30 feet of it in lieu of a hose.

I haven't really found it annoying to handle at all unless you're burying it, which is obviously a bit more work.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My hostas are starting to bloom too!!! I'm gonna be spending a lot of time this weekend focusing on finishing a couple of garden projects, as well as getting the last of the plants in the ground. I plan on taking pictures once done, I'll share those here and you guys can judge me for my decisions!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Another ID question!

I got some free plants from a swap about a month ago that were just labeled "daylily." The foliage and bulbs looked like it to me, but one just bloomed and it looks like none I've seen:

The clusters of blooms still look like a daylily, but the ID app says it's spiderwort. Any ideas?

Turns out I've got some really nice daylilies in the back yard already that could use some splitting. They are on the shady side of a fence so they popped up really late:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Soul Dentist posted:

Turns out I've got some really nice daylilies in the back yard already that could use some splitting. They are on the shady side of a fence so they popped up really late:

Those are gorgeous. I have one called 'Ming Porcelain' that those remind me of.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chinese ivy is pretty cool how it adores being in the dark directly in front of the a/c for the 6 years ive had it

Outlived like 4 other ivies it was planted with in that gross temporary basket/plastic bag combo thing its in. Badass.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got a blumat gravity loop to play with

Heres the tank and looped feeder line with a purge valve. The loop puts a lot more pressure on the water than a single line it seems like. Barely need any elevation and its shooting out of the purge when open

Heres the drip heads. I might buy a few more for better coverage and add them along the return line.

Its not too ugly from the window! Hope it works. Fun project!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Sold my fiddle leaf on FB marketplace and I feel freeeeeee

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone know why my hydrangea leaves are dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I was asked to water my neighbours plants that are in coconut fiber planters while they were gone. I just did my normal thing sticking a finger in and watered about every 24-36 hours. They came back and said their plants look better than ever so no issue on that end.

But it got me thinking, is it even possible to over water plants in fiber planters? If you add more water than the soil can hold it just runs out the bottom. Like you would really have to try and constantly saturated the soil to over water. Am I thinking about this wrong?